We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

MMO Private Server Setups

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
Xenich

MMO Private Server Setups

Post by Xenich »

Has anyone played around with setting up private MMO servers?

For a while I got into this with various games.

I setup some various ones over the years to see what I could do with them and so my friends and I could toy around.

EQEmu was pretty good if you like EQ and the tools to modify the server have improved greatly over the years allowing you to customize it to you liking.

WoW emulation is interesting, I toyed with it back around Cata time and found that its greatly limited on how far you can modify the systems easily, but I did find the whole bot implementations quite interesting. I had taken a WoTLK core and modified the spells, gameplay, etc.. to be more difficult, slower combat, endurance play, etc... and it was interesting for a while, but I had already been through all the content so much that it got old after a while. Cata cores were horrible due to them dumbing down the game it took far too much to even begin to fix the game. With the changes more recently with the newer expansions to the systems, I always thought it might be an interesting project to toy with for friends to play (not interested in hosting for public).

EQ2Emu is starting to take off right now and there are a lot of adaptions to the engine (I think one is going back and making EQ2 more like EQ with its combat, spells, and even text based input quest interface and systems).

Vanguard Emu is nice, but I haven't messed with trying to setup my own server, but they have gotten the systems up to around level 30 pretty fleshed out.

I just saw a thing on DDOemu starting (they are in the early stages and doing a lot of data collection).

I toyed with UOs emulator a long time ago, but its aging and while nostalgic, I never configured it a whole lot past setting it up to know what was possible with it.

Anyway, just interested in other peoples experiences.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I set up a WoW private server one time because I had autism and wanted to play as the Lich King.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Vergil wrote: February 29th, 2024, 13:35
I set up a WoW private server one time because I had autism and wanted to play as the Lich King.
"had" :scratch:
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 29th, 2024, 14:21
Vergil wrote: February 29th, 2024, 13:35
"had" :scratch:
There's something far worse wrong with me now. :goldfish:
AmericanMonarchist

Post by AmericanMonarchist »

Runescape private servers are having a come back. 2009scape and Darkan are open source projects that seek to fully emulate Runescape as it was in 2009 and 2012 respectively. Runescape Classic has been fully remade and is playable on the Nintendo 3ds of all things.