We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dune, Star Wars and its ilk are not sci-fi

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Dune, Star Wars and its ilk are not sci-fi

Post by rusty_shackleford »

That includes WH40k.
I just wanted to remind everyone of this.

"…It's a fantasy, it's not science-fiction"
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

But... but... the Millennium Falcon made the Kessle run in less than 12 parsecs...
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

There are Starship Troopers truthers who insist that the meteor was a false flag because it doesn't obey the laws of science even though the director himself said the bugs sent it.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Star Trek is boring and basically just made to paint a multiracial future for White people.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Fantasy is any story containing supernatural or impossible elements. Sci fi is a subgenre of fantasy. All the way back in the 1920s, there were always a few freaks who insisted that "scientifiction" was somehow transcendent and better, a group consisting mostly of communists and pedorasts.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Also I agree with the OP but using an interview with one of the (jewish) actors who had little to no input on the writing/worldbuilding and has been borderline hostile towards the project from the get go isn't the best evidence.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Emphyrio wrote: February 29th, 2024, 12:53
Fantasy is any story containing supernatural or impossible elements. Sci fi is a subgenre of fantasy. All the way back in the 1920s, there were always a few freaks who insisted that "scientifiction" was somehow transcendent and better, a group consisting mostly of communists and pedorasts.
Fantasy then developed into a smaller genre of its own.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Vergil wrote: February 29th, 2024, 12:53
And here's why thats a good thing.
Yeah, because as of now the White race has no future.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

maidenhaver wrote: February 29th, 2024, 14:00
I don't know what you mean by that, unless you think "fantasy" means the hobbit and d&d. It's unfortunate that the good term "sword and sorcery" is disused. Fantasy includes everything from The Illiad, to Harry Potter, to A Rendezvous with Rama. All something needs to be fantasy is a fantastic element.

Clark Ashton Smith did a good takedown of scientifiction snobs, as a sci fi writer himself. He pointed out that in the future, most of what they believed in would probably be proven to be fantasy, rendering their assertions that they were superior to fantasy writers moot. History has vindicated him, and many things, such as aliens, transstellar travel and psychic powers, that were firmly in scientification, have now proven to be nothing but fantasy. Smith pointed out that the sorcery described by the Latin writer Apuleius " was regarded as science by the moiety of his contemporaries", and suggested that Sigmund Freud should be considered a sci fi writer.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Once upon a time, what we would now call fantasy was believed to be possible, making it the SF of its era.

I'm not making any point. I just find it amusing.

Edit: damn it @Emphyrio !
Last edited by Rand on February 29th, 2024, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 29th, 2024, 07:39
That includes WH40k.
I just wanted to remind everyone of this.

"…It's a fantasy, it's not science-fiction"
Fantastic information, if you are autistic.

Normal people correctly do not give a shit :eyebrows:
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Roguey wrote: February 29th, 2024, 10:57
There are Starship Troopers truthers who insist that the meteor was a false flag because it doesn't obey the laws of science even though the director himself said the bugs sent it.
We will name no names :goldfish:
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Verhoeven doesn't want to be suicided.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Emphyrio wrote: February 29th, 2024, 15:16
I don't know what you mean by that, unless you think "fantasy" means the hobbit and d&d. It's unfortunate that the good term "sword and sorcery" is disused. Fantasy includes everything from The Illiad, to Harry Potter, to A Rendezvous with Rama. All something needs to be fantasy is a fantastic element.

Clark Ashton Smith did a good takedown of scientifiction snobs, as a sci fi writer himself. He pointed out that in the future, most of what they believed in would probably be proven to be fantasy, rendering their assertions that they were superior to fantasy writers moot. History has vindicated him, and many things, such as aliens, transstellar travel and psychic powers, that were firmly in scientification, have now proven to be nothing but fantasy. Smith pointed out that the sorcery described by the Latin writer Apuleius " was regarded as science by the moiety of his contemporaries", and suggested that Sigmund Freud should be considered a sci fi writer.
Remote viewing was proven though. Establishment snobs just turn up their nose if they don't like the results of an experiment. Aliens could be real to.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Emphyrio wrote: February 29th, 2024, 15:16

lol
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 29th, 2024, 12:51
Star Trek is boring and basically just made to paint a multiracial future for White people.
A realization I came to understand, but I can't help that I like them. Not a fanatic fan, I enjoyed both franchises (watching them in the theaters on release), but there are layers to how woke the show/movies got depending on episode/movie. Over all though, its my youth, and so it is something I have tolerated to a given level (I prefer the original, NG, DS9, Voyager for some reason, I don't know why, and Enterprise for various reasons, as well as some of the fan made content). For Star Wars, while I have watched the Ep 1-3 and have them, not something I care for, mostly I just like the original series which I got the Despecialized Editions). Past that, to my knowledge no other Star wars or Star Trek exists (no, there are none.. seriously, I refuse to even acknowledge them).
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Science Fantasy and Space Opera. /thread
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Xenich wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:13
A realization I came to understand, but I can't help that I like them. Not a fanatic fan, I enjoyed both franchises (watching them in the theaters on release), but there are layers to how woke the show/movies got depending on episode/movie. Over all though, its my youth, and so it is something I have tolerated to a given level (I prefer the original, NG, DS9, Voyager for some reason, I don't know why, and Enterprise for various reasons, as well as some of the fan made content). For Star Wars, while I have watched the Ep 1-3 and have them, not something I care for, mostly I just like the original series which I got the Despecialized Editions).
It reminds me of someone that tries so hard to be mature that they come off as infantile, or tries hard to appear clever, but it's all superficial.
There are still elements about it which I like, but it's all very sterile-- meaning not a lot of emotion or humour.
Episode 1-3, of Star Wars, I liked as a kid because cool designs and flashy nonsense, but now I like it for a different reason, probably not the reason that George intended :lol:

Overall I prefer sci-fi with a mystical or magical side. Lots of whimsy and romanticism. I'd consider space opera to be a type of sci-fi, and sci-fi to be a type of fantasy fiction.
Past that, to my knowledge no other Star wars or Star Trek exists (no, there are none.. seriously, I refuse to even acknowledge them).
I too try to not acknowledge their desecration, even after recognising the flaws of what they desecrate.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 29th, 2024, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The prequels are more intelligent and well made films than the originals and Lucas' special edition changes are good/the definitive way to see the films.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Vergil wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:45
The prequels are more intelligent and well made films than the originals
:scratch: The originals were a bit of a fluke, in the way they were developed, and his wife had a lot to do with their success. So I agree. Although George's Prequel dialogue is still amusing.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:53
and his wife had a lot to do with their success.
His wife's input is vastly overstated due to urban legends created by anti-lucas soyim.

EDIT: Most of which come from that God awful "How Star Wars was Saved in the Edit" video which is filled with enough misinformation the US government should hire the creators.
Last edited by Vergil on February 29th, 2024, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Vergil wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:55
ArcaneLurker wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:53
and his wife had a lot to do with their success.
His wife's input is vastly overstated due to urban legends created by anti-lucas soyim.
The original ideas for the original trilogy are nothing like how it turned out so there must be some truth to it-- Whether it was his wife or some Jewish advisor, I don't really give a shit.
The prequels were more in line with what George originally wanted to create.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:43
Xenich wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:13
A realization I came to understand, but I can't help that I like them. Not a fanatic fan, I enjoyed both franchises (watching them in the theaters on release), but there are layers to how woke the show/movies got depending on episode/movie. Over all though, its my youth, and so it is something I have tolerated to a given level (I prefer the original, NG, DS9, Voyager for some reason, I don't know why, and Enterprise for various reasons, as well as some of the fan made content). For Star Wars, while I have watched the Ep 1-3 and have them, not something I care for, mostly I just like the original series which I got the Despecialized Editions).
It reminds me of someone that tries so hard to be mature that they come off as infantile, or tries hard to appear clever, but it's all superficial.
Yeah, I do get that feeling from time to time, but they have always been kind of "corny" from the start, so it never bothered me so much. I think it often funny too, as a lot of the early sci-fi movies are that way as well.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Actual 40k is more realistic than 90% of science slop that gets put out. Few others actually deal with economies of scale or the absurd numbers involved with production on a galactic scale. Having aliens from another dimension with space magic or massive warships is more realistic than Star Trek teleporters or niggers being civilized.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

The prequels are more intelligent and well made films than the originals and Lucas' special edition changes are good/the definitive way to see the films.
All of Star Wars is juvenile tat. The prequels basically champion the redditor's view of politics, where the Republic is objectively good, and the Empire is objectively evil because...democracy good?. The prequels also undermined the mythology that had been set up by the original films. Rather than the "Force" being genuinely supernatural and mysterious, it was retconned into being just another form of physical phenomenon, caused by midichlorions. Regardless, I tire of Star Wars more than any other franchise at this point. I don't want to see or hear anything Star Wars for the rest of my days.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Ah, the latest revisionism.