We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

You, yes >You!< should report paid mods.

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

You, yes >You!< should report paid mods.

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I want to be clear that NONE of this applies to mods that are monetized with permission of the owner of the IP. If a developer or publisher has allowed someone(s) to sell the content, they are doing nothing wrong.
Apparently after some butthurt falling out with Larian modders have used this as an excuse to go put their mods behind patreon. Most modders don't own this work, and you(yes, You!) should be reporting this to Larian. This goes for any paid mods of any video game, if the content they're asking money for likely isn't owned by them(unauthorized derivative work), report it to the IP owner.

If it's a BG3 mod, which seems to make up the majority of these right now, you may report it to Larian here: https://larian.com/contact#contactForm

>Why?
Because paid mods hurt everyone. If it's implicitly allowed, most mods will become paid and everyone's experience will be worse.

>Can developers actually take down paid mods?
Yes, and they've done this many times before. e.g., https://www.pcgamer.com/street-fighter- ... om-capcom/
Most game developers are happy to overlook unpaid modifications, and sometimes include creation and distribution of such in their EULA. But when you start charging, they get angry.
You can find BG3's EULA here: https://store.steampowered.com/eula/1086940_eula_0
And their fan content policy here: https://larian.com/fan-content-policy
We greatly value interaction with our community, and our team loves to discover the unique & wonderful content that you create every day, whether it’s fan art, videos, stories, screenshots, cosplays, mods, or anything else (collectively “Fan Content”).
They explicitly do not allow commercial modifications:
It is forbidden to sell or license your Fan Content to any third parties for any type of compensation.
>Why are you helping major corporations protect their IPs?
Don't get me wrong, I hate IP laws and believe they hinder human progress. But as long as they exist and there are ways to use them for betterment, they should be used for such. Refer to the Why? section.

>Does this include modders who just ask for money but don't require payment for their mods?
Absolutely not.

If you find paid mods, list them here so they can be reported to their IP owners.

Current list:
maidenhaver wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:45
Garden of Eyes: https://www.patreon.com/posts/welcome-to-of-89232755

Bandai:
https://shop.bandai.com/contact/
 ! Message from: Rusty
I think the email you want is `[email protected]`. The link above is for Bandai Namco Bandai Namco Toys & Collectibles. It appears Elden Ring was published by Bandai Namco Entertainment, the parent company. This email is for DMCAs, but presumably it would also be used for reporting other legal issues? If anyone knows a better email, let me know.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 8th, 2024, 06:31, edited 4 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Thankfully we have no paid moderators here, so you can't report them. They do it for free.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:18
Is this like reporting to the IRS where I get a bounty? :twisted:
Your reward is less Nexus-tier modding where each modder thinks they're a lord of their fief.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

And thus Rusty hastened the descent into standardized Creation Clubs for all games going forward
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:22
And thus Rusty hastened the descent into standardized Creation Clubs for all games going forward
Doesn't really matter I
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
creation club content just the same as I do patreon/private mods.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Larian is far from being Crapcom or Nintendo, I'm highly doubting they'll give a fuck, though obviously still worth the try
Last edited by Anon on February 28th, 2024, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

How so?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:26
How so?
I jest, snitching on these weirdos is a good thing.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Would this work for Elden Ring mods?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:40
Would this work for Elden Ring mods?
Any paid mod. Post it here, along with a way to contact the IP owner.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Hell yes let’s start snitching.

Also, Mantism started advertising her Patreon on nexus which they do not allow either. Report her on there also. :lol:

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/images/11779
Last edited by loregamer on February 28th, 2024, 15:27, edited 2 times in total.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Lol surprised she didn't block my Nexus account yet. Can't wait to see what the immediate overreaction from her is this time :pirate:

Comment BBCode incase y'all wanna repost it after she inevitably hides it :lol: (link here):
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by loregamer on February 28th, 2024, 16:32, edited 4 times in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

loregamer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 18:01
My comment is gone. Somebody repost it :twisted:
Hidden Content
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 28th, 2024, 18:05
loregamer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 18:01
My comment is gone. Somebody repost it :twisted:
Hidden Content
Get to work boys. Start reporting. :eyebrows:

If we make enough noise then Nexus and possibly Larian will take action. Takes less than a minute.
Hidden Content
Last edited by loregamer on February 28th, 2024, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

Last edited by orinEsque on February 28th, 2024, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

wasnt it like "600 000 dead in a day, wanna know more?"
i guess its why they put vaginas in uniforms; overpopulation.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

Anon wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:36
Well let's start with the obvious one, Mantis Mods:

https://www.patreon.com/MantisMods
This one breaking so many copyrights i dont know where to start.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 28th, 2024, 06:26
How so?
I am not against it, just considering the progression this will eventually lead to.

They want to force woke, and they will do what they can to achieve it which may later include colluding with studios, publishers, etc.. to insure that the wokeism is unavoidable to most.

Reporting, and taking them head on is the right thing to do, but it may complicate things in the future if they all scheme to lock down modding control, especially if the big companies try to handle this through legislation buyouts. I know, I am thinking nefarious conspiracy, but isn't already?

The real test will be if it has an overall effect on them. That is, if de-woke modding really takes off, they will act in some major way, I am sure.
Last edited by Xenich on February 29th, 2024, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Acrux wrote: February 29th, 2024, 14:10
We did it men!

Nah, he's no longer paywalling the mods, he's paywalling the Discord server where he posts the mods. Nothing has changed.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 29th, 2024, 14:52
Nah, he's no longer paywalling the mods, he's paywalling the Discord server where he posts the mods. Nothing has changed.
Just another round of mails to Larian
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 29th, 2024, 15:03
Hmmm. Are the mods uploaded anywhere else but the discord? If yes it wouldn't be infringement.
Anon

Post by Anon »

SoLong wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:51
Hmmm. Are the mods uploaded anywhere else but the discord? If yes it wouldn't be infringement.
If there is she isn't making it public knowledge.
Makirige

Post by Makirige »

Anon wrote: March 1st, 2024, 00:21
SoLong wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:51

If there is she isn't making it public knowledge.
I'm watching. chill.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I don't think that's the right contact, I updated the OP with one I think(?) may be relevant for bamco.
If anyone else sees any other paid mods, I'll add them to the OP.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

The post explicitely says that the mods will be released for free when they're actually done.

Getting early access to explicitely unfinished work (which is basically paying for the priviledge of being a beta tester) likely isn't copyright infringement for the same reason a modder plugging their patreon isn't.
Last edited by SoLong on March 1st, 2024, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.