We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Shillitron wrote: February 28th, 2024, 01:03
Why did Ryujinx get off scott free? Is it because it's open source and so there's no money to bilk?
Bleem was paid-for software. I fail to see how this differs from the Bleem case at all, this shouldn't even be clogging up the courts.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 29th, 2024, 07:41
Shillitron wrote: February 28th, 2024, 01:03
Why did Ryujinx get off scott free? Is it because it's open source and so there's no money to bilk?
Bleem was paid-for software. I fail to see how this differs from the Bleem case at all, this shouldn't even be clogging up the courts.
Good point, I'd forgotten about the Bleem! lawsuits.
Wikipedia wrote:
Maybe that is part of Nintendo's plan. Even if they don't think the court will side with them the legal costs may be enough to cripple the Yuzu developer. On the other hand perhaps they are banking on the laws having changed since the Bleem! era as Goblin_Hammer pointed out in another thread there was a court case in 1999 that changed the landscape a bit.
Goblin_Hammer wrote: February 26th, 2024, 08:57
I just watched this video yesterday about the game The Crew, and for the US, the EULA is legally binding, we Americans really have no ownership of any games we purchase unless the EULA give us the exclusive right. We're pretty much fucked in a lot of ways.

We had rights for software and games we purchased until the court case ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg in 1999, and after that EULA are considered enforceable contracts that we the end users are bound too.
► Show Spoiler
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Nintendo gets away with selling its hardware and software at a premium. Porting to PC could result in them ending up in the same boat as Sony and Microsoft are now. This is one of the worst selling console generations for those two, but not Nintendo.

This lawsuit is particularly bad because they're upset that they're not even more successful than they already are.
Last edited by Roguey on February 29th, 2024, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

>Keep releasing underpowered hardware that is always 2-3 generations behind
>"wow why do they emulate our current system?"
Roguey wrote: February 29th, 2024, 11:01
This lawsuit is particularly bad because they're upset that they're not even more successful than they already are.
Nintendo, since the NES days, always act like assholes when they're winning and then go back to portraying a humble image when they're losing. Shameless company.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Yuzu is fighting back

Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Apparently the Yuzu devs were making (or asking for, I'm not sure how it works) $30k a month on Patreon. That might have had something to do with this being over so quickly.

I'd be interested in seeing more details about this suit, as from what I've heard about Nintendo's position, it sounds like the argument they made would declare ALL emulation illegal.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

looks like yuzu agreed to this from a quick search?

that is, this isn't legal precedent, yuzu just gave up without a fight
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 4th, 2024, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 19:11

I heard it was revealed that the devs were sharing prod keys on Discord.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 19:11

Hmm...interesting. Rusty, as a lawyer would you say that this sends a message by Nintendo to other emulator devs?
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Even if they win. How they can end a freaking open source project?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WaterMage wrote: March 4th, 2024, 20:46
isn't yuzu the closed source one?
can't remember
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 20:47
WaterMage wrote: March 4th, 2024, 20:46
isn't yuzu the closed source one?
can't remember
it is supposedly open-source

Ideally, some slavs, chinamen, or brazilians can just copy the code and make their own with little effort. Then Nintendo couldn't do shit
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I am incredibly put off by the large droves of people that are celebrating this lawsuit and mocking those who emulate. It just goes to show that the online masses are drooling morons that deserve neither mercy nor pity. I may very well decide to ignore Nintendo games for good, if this sets a precedent of emulators being taken down. For now Ryujinx survives, and there may be other alternatives popping up in the future, but will Nintendo take steps to mitigate the emulation of their next console?. Will they include some type of DRM measure that ensures emulation is made as difficult as possible?. Perhaps.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I am less concerned about Yuzu and the greedy cunts that developed it, and more by the repercussions this will have.

I'm no expert on the US legal system, but from what I remember Nintendo tried to pull this kind of shit years ago and lost, so I have no clue if the Yuzu devs settling out of court will create a precedent, because if it does, these dumbfucks would be responsible for ending emulation.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gerey wrote: March 4th, 2024, 22:11
and more by the repercussions this will have.
(probably) nothing
yuzu devs folded
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Because the matter was settled out of court, it wouldn't really set a precedent. Yuzu getting money wasn't the problem, I believe it was indeed a community-led project and emulation itself is perfectly legal. The issue came with how Yuzu decrypts Switch roms, and I believe it was found out that they used copyrighted Nintendo code to decrypt the games, whereas Ryujinx uses it's own, non-proprietary method. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't gone after any other emulation project, because they are clean and therefore cannot be sued.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I suspect some tendies infiltrated their trannycord for the purpose of leaking damaging information to nintendo.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 22:14
gerey wrote: March 4th, 2024, 22:11
and more by the repercussions this will have.
(probably) nothing
yuzu devs folded
Citra (3DS) is toast too as of today
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 22:18
I suspect some tendies infiltrated their trannycord for the purpose of leaking damaging information to nintendo.
Be vigilent, even here.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I never gave much thought to those millions of youtube comments begging for remakes and remasters and rereleases until the flood of remasters broke. Now I know that behind those accounts sit idiots so mortally stupid, they can't even use an emulator, or if they could, they wouldn't, because the product isn't official.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Citra dying is the bigger blow. I don't think there's another good 3DS emulator, unlike with the Switch.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 4th, 2024, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:47
KnightoftheWind wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:45
Instead of seeing the over-reliance on emulation as a business/service problem, they only see it as a violation of their copyright. Disregarding the fact that "IP", or "intellectual property", is mostly gake and fay and everyone knows it, Nintendo's executives need to take a good hard look at customer feedback and really take it into account. Maybe the reason people like emulating their games so much, is because A: It's Free, and B: the games play and look better through emulation. Who in their right mind would pay $60+ for a game that runs at 720p/30 on real hardware, if they have the means to emulate it and get a much better experience?. Nintendo fans were probably abused more than any other this generation. Full-price Wii U ports, broken controllers that require constant maintenance and/or replacement, paid online that doesn't even compare to Xbox Live 1.0, and a sharp decline in the quality of output post-2017. Xbox and PlayStation are so benign and irrelevant in recent years I don't even think they have any fans, so they don't count.

Any good business would see this as an opportunity for further growth and investment. Nintendo should be porting their backlog to PC, and giving the customer what they want- to play Nintendo games on the hardware they prefer.
It's expected from a jap company, they have some of the most retarded views on IP.
Those views only exist because they cucked to American culture after World War 2. China has very different views.
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

https://yuzu-emu.org/

Hello yuz-ers and Citra fans:

We write today to inform you that yuzu and yuzu’s support of Citra are being discontinued, effective immediately.

yuzu and its team have always been against piracy. We started the projects in good faith, out of passion for Nintendo and its consoles and games, and were not intending to cause harm. But we see now that because our projects can circumvent Nintendo’s technological protection measures and allow users to play games outside of authorized hardware, they have led to extensive piracy. In particular, we have been deeply disappointed when users have used our software to leak game content prior to its release and ruin the experience for legitimate purchasers and fans.

We have come to the decision that we cannot continue to allow this to occur. Piracy was never our intention, and we believe that piracy of video games and on video game consoles should end. Effective today, we will be pulling our code repositories offline, discontinuing our Patreon accounts and Discord servers, and, soon, shutting down our websites. We hope our actions will be a small step toward ending piracy of all creators’ works.

Thank you for your years of support and for understanding our decision.

edit: someone already posted it, sorry. But it's ludicrous how fast they just gave up. It's closed source and they were gaining money on patreon.
Last edited by Suissant on March 5th, 2024, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

It's a shame. I love emulation. I had a Sega Saturn and a N64 (with limited edition Gold controller) and both got stolen during my childhood during a burglary.

Even the insurance at the time couldn't get ahold of the console and games I had at reasonable prices. They replaced the N64 and a couple of games, but couldn't get the rest of them or the controler, and they gave up completely on finding a Sega Saturn. Emulation is the only way for me to play those games now, that I paid for and owned.