We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mod seethe thread (formerly Nexus seethe thread)

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

modders are completely insane

next on news water is wet
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Oh hey speaking of Nexus permissions, look what's going on in our favorite Discord server :lol:

I wonder if that guy that mentioned Cathedral modding saw my video since I was posting it on Open Faerun.
► Show Spoiler
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Mom, I'm famous
Last edited by loregamer on March 11th, 2024, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!!
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Tweed wrote: March 11th, 2024, 03:42
STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!! STOP IT!!!!
I’m american
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

unless you're from georgia you should be put to death for saying "y'all"
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 11th, 2024, 03:48
Well now that Rusty has said it I will stop :sad: :sad:
Last edited by loregamer on March 11th, 2024, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

loregamer wrote: March 11th, 2024, 03:30
Oh hey speaking of Nexus permissions, look what's going on in our favorite Discord server :lol:

I wonder if that guy that mentioned Cathedral modding saw my video since I was posting it on Open Faerun.
► Show Spoiler
The way these faggots talk makes my skin crawl. Grow up and get out of the fucking hug box you find like a bunch of babies.
Also lol at communists/ anarchists getting butthurt about personal property and being "stolen" from
BobT

Post by BobT »

► Show Spoiler
They want you to request permission even if it's for PERSONAL USE now? What the fuck?
I 'get' the "if you go tinkering don't blame me or ask me to fix it", that's ok! But acting like people shouldn't go looking at it or tinkering themselves even for personal use is as anti-modding as you can get?
How did these fuckers learn modding themselves? Just randomly get it in a dream one day?

Have they never tinkered with anything on their own computers to learn? Not asked the original dev from Microsoft or whomever? Oh noes!
"Sometimes even my own name gives me anxiety".
Fucking hell.. Why do they expect randomers on the internet to tiptoe around their personal issues? If you're THAT bothered, don't upload!

These people ONLY want attention, it seems. That's the only reason they make mods, to get attention and praise. Clearly they don't give a shit about improving people's games and having them enjoy them, as if so they wouldn't give a shit about who does what with who's mods, as long as gamers get a better experience. (Again, I agree with full crediting though, and not blaming or expecting the original modder to fix something that's been changed by someone else).

Also "It's rude to ask a modder for help on their projects". WHY? How the fuck do they expect other modders to learn? Do they not have confidence in their own work? Sure it's rude to EXPECT help, but not to ask. All they have to say if they don't want to is "Soz am busy" or just "no".
Last edited by BobT on March 11th, 2024, 04:45, edited 2 times in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Not even ironically? :read:
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Alsford looks like an idiot inserting himself into that conversation. (I did like his "highlight learnable spells" mod for Kingmaker, though.)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: March 11th, 2024, 04:17
Alsford looks like an idiot inserting himself into that conversation. (I did like his "highlight learnable spells" mod for Kingmaker, though.)
You're welcome.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

loregamer wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:19
I'll never understand how someone like Xilandro can be so fucking smart yet so retarded about this at the same time. How do most mod authors not see how Nexus's permissions policy is bad for the community? :headbang:

Wait is that the b42 mods guy?
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:55
OnTilt wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:24
He doesn't even seem to understand the internal contradictions within his own argument. It's woman-level logic.
"People must ASK me FIRST!"
"We don't need to ask game devs because it's implied, and they can say no afterwards!"

????
Also the whole "This is all technically illegal anyway" which just further refutes any sort of point he was trying (unsuccessfully) to make.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

loregamer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 22:11
I posted the "Joshua Graham explains why mods should be open source" video under the New Vegas media section on Nexus and am making a few Nexus mod author faggots mad incase you guys wanna take a look lmao.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/videos/5113
You should post this on BG3 media section, I want to see another meltdown.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

loregamer wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:46
Vergil wrote: March 11th, 2024, 02:37
The version of standalone cars that you can find is broken with the latest version of JIP though.
Typical mod author god complex 99% of his comments are typical hugbox asspatting but because he's a worthless little nothing fag in reality he had to try and feel like he had some power over people.
Maybe once I'm done with my Baldur's Gate 3 bullshit, I'll make it myself. :lol: Don't have the energy to deal with the potential fallout of that right now though (no pun intended).
During the day of the mod author genocide I will give you a dignified death instead of firing squading you into a mass grave. :oops:
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

loregamer wrote: March 11th, 2024, 03:49
> Implying Rusty's opinions are sane or matter at all.

Give it a year, Rusty will be saying all Americans should be using "y'all" except Georgians and will deny this conversation ever took place.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

► Show Spoiler

Disgusting Sub-Humans. These people are literally the scum that collects on the bottom of a drainage system.

> Take copyrighted IP / game from large AAA company that provides you hooks and permission to mod (of which they shouldered the cost of development for)
> Take huge swath of open source free tools (Blender, Community Tools for Shapekeys / Animations / Workflow conversion, DLL Injection hooks etc)
> Leverage hours of documentation shared by community / modding eco system
> Produce some buggy cobbled together file override
> "This is Mine!"
> "You can't share it, you can't modify it locally, you can't look at it or learn from it!! You can't ask about it! DONATE TO MY PATREON! GIVE ME MONEY! GIVE ME FAME! UPVOTE IT! MINE MINE MINE MINE"
Last edited by Shillitron on March 11th, 2024, 13:31, edited 3 times in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Shillitron wrote: March 11th, 2024, 13:22
Give it a year, Rusty will be saying all Americans should be using "y'all" except Georgians and will deny this conversation ever took place.
Pretty sure the issue is the spelling of "y'all" that's the problem because that's typically how larping shitlibs spell it.
t. someone from Georgia
Last edited by Vergil on March 11th, 2024, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Shillitron wrote: March 11th, 2024, 13:22
loregamer wrote: March 11th, 2024, 03:49
> Implying Rusty's opinions are sane or matter at all.

That's just the brain tumor kicking in. :sad: Send him a card and flowers.
Last edited by BobT on March 11th, 2024, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I'll never understand how someone like Xilandro can be so fucking smart yet so retarded about this at the same time. How do most mod authors not see how Nexus's permissions policy is bad for the community? :headbang:

What are the possible negatives of the Cathedral concept? I mean, I see the benefits, and agree collective effort to a project does have many positives, but what are some possible negatives to this in terms of the original author? I was trying to think of some basic things.

Lack of structural control on collective modification? For instance, original author's work is taken, improved, but the new additions, while creative and improving in some ways are poor in others (ie their artistic talent may be amazing, but the structural code work they applied is unskilled and detrimental). Most group effort projects have a lead and controlled development structure to promote consistency among the group effort. This may be design methodology, applied code structures and documentation, as well as modularity for future developments.

So while the general outcome of the change by another might be beneficial (ie it looks better, or adds/expands a nice feature), this could result in something that harms the future development because the code is unreadable (overly complex or applied in a manner that lacks understanding of the concepts, or is so poorly documented that it is difficult to know what is happening).

This is just one possible legitimate reason that could actually hamper an uncontrolled collective effort. (which has been the problem with some projects in the open source community)

I am just trying to see both sides of the position to understand why someone is for or against the idea.
Last edited by Xenich on March 11th, 2024, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 13:36
That's just the brain tumor kicking in. :sad: Send him a card and flowers.
I think you meant to say.. Subscribe to RPGHQ Gold+ for 12 months.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

► Show Spoiler
Cathedral's an old idea in modding, it gets brought up, or was two years ago, pretty regularly. I used to watcg TR's discord, and as of 2 years ago it was the pervading philosophy there. There are a lot of TR Data assets in mods, the OAAB was built with the idea in mind. Cathedral doesn't mean everything that gets submitted is going in, first or second try. There are some autistic quality standards for TR, like brooms can't bleed through the rug.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Xenich wrote: March 11th, 2024, 13:40
What are the possible negatives of the Cathedral concept?
The only one I can see are dickheads like Arthmoor covertly (and maybe even only subconsciously) having it be cathedral when it's to their benefit, but shading things to parlor when the community doesn't like your pet retarded idea.
That is, in a community full of reasonable people that don't seek or feel ownership, bad actors can have more latitude to insert themselves, seek power, and cause trouble.

Still, worth it.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I am just trying to see both sides of the position to understand why someone is for or against the idea.
You don't have to take a single step beyond narcissism to accurately explain 99.9% of the motivations of the objectors.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Rand wrote: March 11th, 2024, 14:13
You don't have to take a single step beyond narcissism to accurately explain 99.9% of the motivations of the objectors.
No doubt, a lot of it seems this way.
Rand wrote: March 11th, 2024, 14:12
What are the possible negatives of the Cathedral concept?
The only one I can see are dickheads like Arthmoor covertly (and maybe even only subconsciously) having it be cathedral when it's to their benefit, but shading things to parlor when the community doesn't like your pet retarded idea.
That is, in a community full of reasonable people that don't seek or feel ownership, bad actors can have more latitude to insert themselves, seek power, and cause trouble.

Still, worth it.
Surely worth it. My mention is more on how to avoid problems that may exist with such, such as one of the examples I gave.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: March 11th, 2024, 13:27

► Show Spoiler

Disgusting Sub-Humans. These people are literally the scum that collects on the bottom of a drainage system.

> Take copyrighted IP / game from large AAA company that provides you hooks and permission to mod (of which they shouldered the cost of development for)
> Take huge swath of open source free tools (Blender, Community Tools for Shapekeys / Animations / Workflow conversion, DLL Injection hooks etc)
> Leverage hours of documentation shared by community / modding eco system
> Produce some buggy cobbled together file override
> "This is Mine!"
> "You can't share it, you can't modify it locally, you can't look at it or learn from it!! You can't ask about it! DONATE TO MY PATREON! GIVE ME MONEY! GIVE ME FAME! UPVOTE IT! MINE MINE MINE MINE"
For anyone who has familiarity with FOSS, their behavior is insane.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Absolute brain damage.
There is no reasonable expectation of ANYONE on the planet, private, government, or corporate, that you cannot manipulate the bits on your own computer in any way you want.
Even if those bits were set slightly different by a scheme that came from a project outside your computer.
The ONLY conditions that CAN apply to it are if it is subsequently made publicly accessible.

But, as we all see, this is under attack by the commies on all three levels.

The government would love to be able to have full access and veto power over your computer. We all know why. And they will say: "For the children. Think of the children!"

The corporates would love to have the same power, but to turn you into a controllable revenue stream as they don't give an actual fuck about people.

And the ordinary dolts simply want to control you because they are cretins that think they know better than you and are certainly better and more important.
How could they not be? They're the center of their universe, and since only their point of view exists, then they must be central in every universe they perceive, right?
Don't be mean and disabuse them of their evil delusions! But you better submit when they do it to you!
Last edited by Rand on March 11th, 2024, 14:39, edited 4 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

What are the possible negatives of the Cathedral concept? I mean, I see the benefits, and agree collective effort to a project does have many positives, but what are some possible negatives to this in terms of the original author? I was trying to think of some basic things.

Lack of structural control on collective modification? For instance, original author's work is taken, improved, but the new additions, while creative and improving in some ways are poor in others (ie their artistic talent may be amazing, but the structural code work they applied is unskilled and detrimental). Most group effort projects have a lead and controlled development structure to promote consistency among the group effort. This may be design methodology, applied code structures and documentation, as well as modularity for future developments.

So while the general outcome of the change by another might be beneficial (ie it looks better, or adds/expands a nice feature), this could result in something that harms the future development because the code is unreadable (overly complex or applied in a manner that lacks understanding of the concepts, or is so poorly documented that it is difficult to know what is happening).

This is just one possible legitimate reason that could actually hamper an uncontrolled collective effort. (which has been the problem with some projects in the open source community)

What he's describing is not the cathedral. Not at all. It seems likely someone popularized the word with modders for some reason, but they misunderstood it.
Here's a twist though, people who pedal for "open modding" (or rather, who want to "build a cathedral" by smashing together stained glass pieces from all over the scene) not gonna like it.
Because they want to own that cathedral, and show it to you in their little comfy parlor, while selling you a ticket to see it.
So-called "open" "modding"
I… have absolutely no idea what he's referring to here.

For those unaware: The cathedral is a model of managing open source projects. It was contrasted with the bazaar, another model for it.
But neither of those have anything to do with video game modding at all.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I've made many personal mods in many games, and I've assisted with a few mods, most of which are hosted on Nexus, yet literally zero of them are my mods attached to my account.
Why?
Because I like the puzzle aspect and fixing things to make them objectively better. I don't give a shit about credit. I know what I figured out and made.

Imagine if the whole world went down this path like the movie industry, which has bizarre rules about crediting every irrelevant asswipe that wandered past the production.
This thinking infected gaming early and it needs to stop because it's stupid and poison when the selfish, stupid narcissists get going.

I don't need to know which person gave out candy bars at a table while the movie was made. And I don't need to know who worked in the HR department of the publisher of some game.

Think about homes, cars, home appliances, etc, if they did this kind of shit. I only need to know who did something if they did a bad job that they're legally liable to me for.
And if it's a corporate product, that's WHY corporations exist: to have collective liability instead of individual by item or event, ffs.
Last edited by Rand on March 11th, 2024, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.