We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

2023 RPG of the Year Poll

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

What was your favorite RPG of the year?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Baldur's Gate III
56%
Caves of Lore
9%
Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader
5%
Colony Ship
4%
Jagged Alliance 3
4%
Lies of P
3%
Etrian Odyssey HD
3%
Hogwarts Legacy
2%
Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Palace of Ice
2%
Underrail: Heavy Duty
2%
Octopath Traveler II
2%
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty
1%
Age of Wonders IV
1%
Darkest Dungeon II
1%
Wartales
1%
SpellForce: Conquest of Eo
1%
Islands of the Caliph
1%
Forspoken
1%
REMNANT II
1%
Persona 3 Portable
1%
Starfield
No votes
Diablo IV
No votes
Space Wreck
No votes
Blood West
No votes
Sea of Stars
No votes
The Lords of the Fallen
No votes
Lunacid
No votes
Fallout: Sonora Dayglow
No votes
The Last Spell
No votes
Dark Envoy
No votes

Total votes: 115

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 24th, 2024, 20:44
Cyprus is common a proxy that Russian companies use to evade sanctions. Hence why they also have connected offices in two Russian-speaking places as well lol
https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/ ... rview-dlc/
As for the studio itself Owlcat Games was originally established as an international company and we had employees all around the world. After the pandemic started and the team switched to remote work the process of relocation started almost on its own. Right now we are actively helping our employees to move to different places like Cyprus, where our HQ is located, a new office in Armenia and other European countries where they can focus on work and creativity. We already have successful experience of decentralized and remote work for the last two years and we believe that the team will continue to create great games further.
(actual owlcat employee)
Our headquarters had always been in Cyprus, with developers working from multiple countries. A lot of developers were located in Moscow until recently, but now many of us are relocating to Cyprus, Armenia and other places. If there was anything good in the pandemic, it is that it gave us a plenty of experience in coordinating and working on our projects online from multiple locations, so we can continue to create games for you guys.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 24th, 2024, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 24th, 2024, 20:34
Didn't even finish Rogue Trader but I voted for it to support Putler. Hopefully there's an update that lets me bang the alien chick someday
Wait, you can't bang the Sister of Battle OR the Eldar? Are they allergic to money or something?
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:02
Nammu Archag wrote: February 24th, 2024, 20:34
Didn't even finish Rogue Trader but I voted for it to support Putler. Hopefully there's an update that lets me bang the alien chick someday
Wait, you can't bang the Sister of Battle OR the Eldar? Are they allergic to money or something?
I think you can have psychic sex or something but not sure as I failed the romance despite having a perfect relationship score because I held her hand in a dream or something stupid. Maybe GW has something to do with it, otherwise its really strange coming from the same people who made WOTR and added a dating mechanic in a Warhammer game
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2024, 20:47
Nammu Archag wrote: February 24th, 2024, 20:44
Cyprus is common a proxy that Russian companies use to evade sanctions. Hence why they also have connected offices in two Russian-speaking places as well lol
https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/ ... rview-dlc/
As for the studio itself Owlcat Games was originally established as an international company and we had employees all around the world. After the pandemic started and the team switched to remote work the process of relocation started almost on its own. Right now we are actively helping our employees to move to different places like Cyprus, where our HQ is located, a new office in Armenia and other European countries where they can focus on work and creativity. We already have successful experience of decentralized and remote work for the last two years and we believe that the team will continue to create great games further.
(actual owlcat employee)
Our headquarters had always been in Cyprus, with developers working from multiple countries. A lot of developers were located in Moscow until recently, but now many of us are relocating to Cyprus, Armenia and other places. If there was anything good in the pandemic, it is that it gave us a plenty of experience in coordinating and working on our projects online from multiple locations, so we can continue to create games for you guys.
You just repeated the same thing you said in the first post 3 times. Are you okay?
BobT

Post by BobT »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:11
You just repeated the same thing you said in the first post 3 times. Are you okay?
I think it's that brain tumour again. :sad:
Last edited by BobT on February 25th, 2024, 02:34, edited 2 times in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

At least now we've confirmed who all the faggots and zoophiles are. They should be marked.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

<Rusty_Shackleford> tweed's PC is too weak to run bg3
<@Rusty_Shackleford> it's why he's upset
<OysterSauce> tweed is literally a furfag I don't get why the bear bothers him
HUGE MAD!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:39
At least now we've confirmed who all the faggots and zoophiles are. They should be marked.
ok, I've placed a tag on all the furries on the site
Decline

Post by Decline »

I have played not a single one of the games on the list but it appears to me to be a negative selection.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

asf wrote: February 24th, 2024, 15:27
what a shitty year
That was my exact thought. I refrained from voting because I either didn't like or didn't play them.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Voting is a FALSE GOD. Dehumanize yourself and turn to bloodshed.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

How many people who voted for BG3 played the other games they didn't vote for?
Last edited by Dead on February 24th, 2024, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Dead wrote: February 24th, 2024, 23:32
Sounds like a good topic for a new thread. ;)
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Irenaeus wrote: February 25th, 2024, 00:01
Sounds like a good topic for a new thread. ;)
Feel free to make it. I don't have anything interesting to add right now.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I've seen half the people who didn't vote for BG3 say they didn't play the game they voted for tho
Decline

Post by Decline »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 25th, 2024, 00:08
I've seen half the people who didn't vote for BG3 say they didn't play the game they voted for tho
We need a 'didn't play any of this shit' option.

Or better yet, a negative poll, i.e. Turd Of The Years 2023 (TOTY 23).

The veto is the vote of the sovereign.
GOW LIKE A BOSS

Post by GOW LIKE A BOSS »

@orinEsque and @Crusaderknight20 turned BG3 from my biggest disappointment into my favorite game of the year. Thank you both.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Decline wrote: February 25th, 2024, 00:22
Or better yet, a negative poll, i.e. Turd Of The Years 2023 (TOTY 23).
We should do this because it will be funny to watch BG3 win both categories :lol:
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

It was a pozzed and tranny game but it had great game play. Same thing will happen to ff7 rebirth.
Decline

Post by Decline »

GOW LIKE A BOSS wrote: February 25th, 2024, 00:55
@orinEsque and @Crusaderknight20 turned BG3 from my biggest disappointment into my favorite game of the year. Thank you both.
tbh if that was enough to turn the game around 180 degrees for you, you are probably gay.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

The most recent RPG I've played is still Geneforge Mutagen from 2021, so I can't vote in this poll.
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2024, 22:06
Tweed wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:39
ok, I've placed a tag on all the furries on the site
BWHAHAHAHAH. Be careful what you wish for!

@rusty_shackleford Can we click the "Flairs" please to see who's in those groups? I want to know who the "Potato" is lolol.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WhiteShark wrote: February 25th, 2024, 02:20
The most recent RPG I've played is still Geneforge Mutagen from 2021, so I can't vote in this poll.
Go ahead and vote for Caves of Lore then! It's a game you would like.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Acrux wrote: February 25th, 2024, 02:39
WhiteShark wrote: February 25th, 2024, 02:20
Go ahead and vote for Caves of Lore then! It's a game you would like.
It feels unprincipled to vote when I haven't played the game in question, but I was starting to think about what I would play next, so I appreciate the suggestion. Hopefully the poll is set to remain open and I can vote later.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Trails into Reverie

Technically released in Japan in 2020 but wasn't officially localized in English until 2023. The ultimate iteration of the Cold Steel battle system.. Playing on abyss difficulty was painful during the first couple chapters but then I started having a lot of fun. Very enjoyable combat and character building, loved trying to figure out how to battle those tough superbosses during chapters 2 and 3 Good music. Story wise, 2 out of the 3 routes were enjoyable. Great send off for Rean. Climatic mech duels. Top notch PC port. Only real caveat is that it is about liberating Crossbell for the Nth time, Lloyd tries his best to sabotage the game, and the overall quality of the English voice acting was wonky compared to prior games.

krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

there are better rpg games that came out that aren't listed.

no, i won't name them.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

SoLong wrote: February 24th, 2024, 19:30
I enjoyed Persona 3 but not as the portable version a little more than BG3 overall. So I'll put my vote there since BG3 will likely win overall anyway.
@SoLong What about the Persona 3 Portable version did you dislike?