We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

List of woke and non-woke role-playing games

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
twig
The Only Good Commie

List of woke and non-woke role-playing games

Post by twig »

This thread contains information on how pozzed individual RPG titles are. You might not want to pay any money to game studios putting intrusive SJW content into their games and that's what the list is for. This game list is always incomplete, you can improve it by responding in this thread.

Wokeness score:
  1. none - Not woke or anti-woke.
  2. mild - Post-2012 North American identity politics ideas mildly present. if you're not too traditional you won't notice it too much unless you go looking for it.
  3. medium - has some offensive woke ideas (such as "pronouns in character creation") but you can gloss over it and enjoy it regardless. Maybe still worth buying for some people.
  4. heavy - worldbuilding, mechanics, dialogue and/or plot heavily informed by wokeness (such as adding penises to women during character creation). It's very difficult not to notice it most the time. Perhaps still good if you don't actively dislike wokeness itself.
  5. pozzed - the whole game revolves around Critical Theory/Queer Theory/tranny/nigger politics. Majorly politically-correct dialogue, zoomer cringe, and so on; for games such as Forspoken.
Opinion weight (for references):
  1. [1] part of consensus
  2. [2]* partly part of the consensus, but somewhat superseded
  3. [3]** not part of the consensus, but interesting
  4. [4]*** not part of the consensus
  5. - (a single hyphen) opinion generally not needed, but you can provide one if you want to put in the effort
  6. ? (a question mark) opinion actively needed
  7. score?, score??, score?? how reliable the consensus is; more question marks the more dubious
  8. todo: I need to move my ass and add it
Wokeness and left-wing:
  • Economic leftism isn't woke according to this list, unless there's A LOT of unskippable leftism.
  • Race (including unchecked third-world immigration and indigenous nonsense) sexuality (I'm a strong woman who need no man) and tranny (muh gender identity) nonsense (non to mention '''non-binary''') are woke.
  • Putting niggers everywhere where it doesn't make sense is woke.
  • On-the-nose allegories to niggers and trannies are woke (such as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided).
  • Telling wokeists to fuck off is based for a company. Ignoring them is based too.
  • Using pre-2008 cultural norms within the game that was released after 2012 is good.
  • Obama is a war criminal as much as Bush or even worse. If you disagree, you're misinformed or a shitlib. This is meant as a non-woke statement. Excusing him on the basis of being a nigger or half-nigger is somewhat woke.
  • Woman's suffrage from 17th century to 2023 isn't woke. At worst (in case of heavy-handed pandering) it's mildly woke.
More info:

Green color: Twiglard's recommendation to buy the game.
Yellow color: recommendation to never pay for it.
Red color: don't buy it and don't play it either.

Implications:
  1. Game is pozzed (or any other game by the same studio): studio is pozzed too.
  2. Game is medium or heavily woke: studio isn't non-woke.
  3. Talented people got fired and the studio got more woke? No chance they'll make it, the studio is gone.
Twiglard's Recommendation:
  1. it's good for its RPG 'subgenre' (storyfag/C&C/combat heavy/turn-based/rtwp).
  2. studio still exists and is worthwhile to incentivize to make future games possible
  3. studio isn't woke
  4. game isn't more than slightly woke
Recommendation to avoid paying for it (2 or more factors):

In some cases it's not good to pay even for good, non-woke games:
  1. studio has gotten woke since releasing the game (too many!)
  2. studio was taken over by the publisher and is now comprised of different people (think ZA/UM)
  3. studio's game quality has gotten a lot worse (think Obsidian)
  4. the game's publisher is woke or has a greedy, anti-customer attitude (think EA)
Name Developer Refs Verdict Refs
ATOM RPG not woke - not woke -
BG1EE/BG2EE pozzed (Beamdog) - medium-heavy
► 1
► 2
Baldur's Gate 3 pozzed (Larian) - pozzed
► 1
► 2
► 3
► 4
► 5
Battle Brothers ? (indie) - none
► 1
Black Geyser not woke (indie) - none -
Broken Roads pozzed
► 1
? ?
Caves of Qud pozzed (indie)
► 1
none-mild
► 1*
► 3
► 4
► 5*
Colony Ship RPG none-mild
► 1
none -
Cyberpunk 2077 pozzed (CDPR)
► 1
► 2
medium
► 1
► 2
Disco Elysium mild-medium
► 1
none-mild
► 1
Divinity Original Sin pozzed (Larian) - mild-medium
► 1
Divinity Original Sin 2 pozzed (Larian) - medium
► 1
Gamedec unknown (indie) - mild
► 1
Grimoire anti-woke (Cleve) - none -
Iron Oath ? (indie) - medium?
► 1
Jagged Alliance 3 ? - none
► 1**
► 2
Kenshi - - none
► 1
King Arthur: Knight's Tale - - none
► 1
Kingdom Come: Deliverance not woke (Warhorse)
► 1
none
► 1***
► 2
► 3*
Mount and Blade: Bannerlord ? - mild??
► 1
► 2
Outer Worlds pozzed (Obsidian) - heavy
► 1
► 2
Pathfinder WOTR pozzed (Owlcat) - heavy-pozzed
► 1
► 2
Pillars of Eternity pozzed (Obsidian) - medium
► 1
Solasta ? (indie) - medium
► 1
Sovereign Syndicate pozzed (indie)
► 1
? ?
Space Wreck mild-medium? (indie)
► 1
mild
► 1
Starfield heavy-pozzed (Bethpizda) - medium-heavy
► 1
► 2
► 3
Tyranny Obsidian (pozzed) - medium
► 1
► 2
Underrail none (indie)
► 1
none -
Vendetta: Curse of the Raven's Cry none - none
► 1
Wartales ? (indie) - medium?
► 1
Name Verdict Refs
Kuro no Kiseki/Trails into Daybreak medium-heavy?
► 1
Last edited by twig on April 13th, 2024, 18:31, edited 33 times in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I like to nominate this thread to be a pinned thread, and I am most welcome of this prestigious work.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Grimoire, Underrail, and KCD are the only games made by christians in the last 12 years? Grim.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Thankyou for this. I like how you also provided examples and not just a subjective verdict. That's a lot of work.

Also add a "Fixed by mods" column, maybe? So people know that they can pirate and easily fix a game to make it palatable enough (if it's something they generally enjoy, otherwise), or just outright avoid.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Didn't know Warhorse has made anti-woke remarks. Gonna buy their shit soon.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:21
Make sure to play all of their game
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:24
Anon wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:21
Make sure to play all of their game
Don't know if I'll ever be able to, but gonna try
Anon

Post by Anon »

BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:17
Thankyou for this. I like how you also provided examples and not just a subjective verdict. That's a lot of work.

Also add a "Fixed by mods" column, maybe? So people know that they can pirate and easily fix a game to make it palatable enough (if it's something they generally enjoy, otherwise), or just outright avoid.
Yeah I also missed that. BG3 for example is fixable by RPGHQ's mods, gotta promote our own shit whenever possible
twig
The Only Good Commie

Post by twig »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:18
@twig maybe split it into two tables, one for woke and another for anti-woke?
If there's an effort to promote anti-woke and anti-establishment games, it should be its own campaign in order to be more persuasive.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 02:30
Woman's suffrage from 17th century to 2023 isn't woke.
You lost me.

I love the table. There are a few places where I'd have recommendations to add for individual titles (like the purely virtue signaling pronoun addition to Solasta at release). Is there a way you want that handled?

A request for @rusty_shackleford: Would it be possible to get sort/filter capabilities for tables? Don't know if it's possible with php. I also realize that would be a very niche request.
twig
The Only Good Commie

Post by twig »

Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:44
There are a few places where I'd have recommendations to add for individual titles (like the purely virtue signaling pronoun addition to Solasta at release). Is there a way you want that handled?
Post in this actual thread as to what you'd like to be changed or added.
BobT

Post by BobT »

twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:34
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:18
@twig maybe split it into two tables, one for woke and another for anti-woke?
If there's an effort to promote anti-woke and anti-establishment games, it should be its own campaign in order to be more persuasive.
I think he means just so it's easier to read / filter. Anything explicitly anti-woke or just not woke at all shouldn't really be mixed.
Anything that's even PARTIALLY woke (one-drop) should of course go in woke table.

Again, thanks for this. Despite them being so confident nowadays a lot of stuff still practices "bait & switch", same with seasons of show, it's ALWAYS the second season that they really ramp it up. Without info like this it's easy to buy a game, demo or even pirate to play a bit, think it's fine then get rammed with the bullshit later. This just makes it easier to ignore those entirely (if not fixed by mods).
Falksi

Post by Falksi »

It's pretty amazing how much of a difference this actually makes to my enjoyment of games.

I've just started a Solasta playthrough for the first time, and during character creation it offers a "Pronoun" option. Even though I'm enjoying some aspects of the game (it's running at around a 7, maybe 7.5/10 game for me at the mo after around 10-ish hours) that Pronoun option has stuck with me and stopped me from forming a real connection with the game. Even if this goes on to be brilliant, I still won't ever have it as a fave because it feels grounded in dreg-society Real World 2020's due to that shit.

I wouldn't ever recommend anyone buy this game now either, it's a pirate-at-best shout. All because of the gay AF "Pronoun" option. Pretty pathetic stuff really.
Last edited by Falksi on February 22nd, 2024, 08:13, edited 4 times in total.
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

Falksi wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:11
It's pretty amazing how much of a difference this actually makes to my enjoyment of games.

I've just started a Solasta playthrough for the first time, and during character creation it offers a "Pronoun" option. Even though I'm enjoying some aspects of the game (it's running at around a 7, maybe 7.5/10 game for me at the mo after around 10-ish hours) that Pronoun option has stuck with me and stopped me from forming a real connection with the game. Even if this goes on to be brilliant, I still won't ever have it as a fave because it feels grounded in dreg-society Real World 2020's due to that shit.

I wouldn't ever recommend anyone buy this game now either, it's a pirate-at-best shout. All because of the gay AF "Pronoun" option. Pretty pathetic stuff really.
Solasta is even worse because it was added right before release after they already got kickstarter & early access money.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Mondain wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:14
Solasta is even worse because it was added right before release after they already got kickstarter & early access money.
Baldur's Gate 3 did a similar thing, pronouns weren't added till after it left early access.
Calumininium

Post by Calumininium »

Interesting, I wonder where Supergiant Games fits
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:28
Baldur's Gate 3 did a similar thing, pronouns weren't added till after it left early access.
Trannyshit was added during early access
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Calumininium wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:30
Interesting, I wonder where Supergiant Games fits
Well, Hades has homosexuality, mannish women, and makes several of the Greek gods dark-skinned, so it's at least a medium according to the rating scale.
carnivoresheep

Post by carnivoresheep »

One thing I'll add and that isn't an excuse it's just a statement of fact. You can't have non-woke game set in something like d&d as the currently supported settings for it are already woke and I don't think Hasbro will let you use them license with some legacy shit attached(maybe I'm wrong though).
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Pillars of Eternity was a heartbreak for me. I did not remember/notice all of this when I played, but just because they removed the dialogue about a man killing himself in shame (which is actually what happens, where is the "representation"!?) it has lost the place I had for it in my heart, much like how Baldur's Gate 3 lost it some time during Early Access. I am so tired of being disappointed and stabbed in the back :( Thank you ever so much for this list twig, this should be a must-read for anyone getting into pc games.
carnivoresheep wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:44
One thing I'll add and that isn't an excuse it's just a statement of fact. You can't have non-woke game set in something like d&d as the currently supported settings for it are already woke and I don't think Hasbro will let you use them license with some legacy shit attached(maybe I'm wrong though).
I tried my hand at being a Dungeon Master for D&D in the past, and I immediately switched from 5e to the earlier eras, until I just decided "fuck it" and made my own thing. When I read online for stats or inspiration, I noticed they are corrupting the Forgotten Realms wiki with nonsense, changing old entries and adding "gender" instead of sex whenever possible, and have heard that "officially hosted games" or any such thing must follow a code or something (and yes, the code is "inclusivity" and all that nonsense). I believe they even tried to force anyone playing D&D to follow their rules for inclusivity in their own private games.
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on February 22nd, 2024, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:32
I sailed the seas and played the early access version from July or August 2022, didn't know they added tranny shit in December 2022. Those poor fools that purchased this before December got fucked by the classic bait and switch.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 09:04
Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 08:32

I sailed the seas and played the early access version from July or August 2022, didn't know they added tranny shit in December 2022. Those poor fools that purchased this before December got fucked by the classic bait and switch.
I never liked the idea of Early Access. Though it could allow the players to, essentially, have a hand in the direction of the game in theory, it is essentially, in my opinion, free unpaid labor as beta testers, with no guarantee the developers will ever finish, because they are being payed in advance for their product, now I like the idea even less when they know "what sells", a game, and they deliver shit build by misplaced good-will instead. Fuck them.
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on February 22nd, 2024, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

Vergil wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 09:31
twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 02:30
Woman's suffrage from 17th century to 2023 isn't woke.
Are you insane?
I think to some extent this is attributable to the idea that the suffragettes were indeed a force for social change that most people accept as a net benefit eg. the Vote for everyone.

That this is not true eludes many just as much as the fact that they were terrorist zealots using bombs and gynocentrism to reach their unfounded goals.

He is correct though, the moment we put in even things like "women being equal" on the woke list, everything would be on it.

Personally I think the depiction of the Suffragettes in Red Dead redemption 2 is certainly woke, not only inaccurate but especially there to preach to the players for example but the idea that games depict egalitarian societies just reflects (current) reality and should not be seen as something "progressive"
Last edited by Lord of Riva on February 22nd, 2024, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Lord of Riva wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 10:42
He is correct though, the moment we put in even things like "women being equal" on the woke list, everything would be on it.
I get that but it's a very wild statement and lumping all waves of feminism together and then dismissing it as a category misses the mark to me.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

Vergil wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 10:53
Lord of Riva wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 10:42
I get that but it's a very wild statement and lumping all waves of feminism together and then dismissing it as a category misses the mark to me.
Well, I would also lump them together as a hate movement, so there is that :smug: