We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

List of woke and non-woke role-playing games

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

australia was cursed by god, and everything that grows there is braindead
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 01:12
was it abbos that have the ""culture"" of having fathers rape young boys to turn them into men?
They also have ritualistic cannibalism, no I'm not joking.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

asf wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 04:26
australia was cursed by god, and everything that grows there is braindead
can confirm :bounce:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Missing Deadfire, here's my quick writeup from the Woke Content Detector steamgroup:
Game contains overt LGBT messaging. Four of the companions are 'bisexual'. Tekehu, one of the male companions, will make suggestive comments to the player character if they are male.

Game contains lecturing on colonialism. Josh Sawyer, the lead developer, has spoken on this:

sometimes horrifying but it is also illuminating for the people seeing that
because they're seeing someone justify a lot of fascist like you know super duper
fascist tendencies in real time you're like okay i can see the gears in a person's
head working outside of the context of the real world in this fantasy world really
although it's very close parallel to our real world they're doing that in dead fire one
of the things that i thought was really wild and i still think is really wild is
um it's a it's about colonialism at its heart there's a native culture there are
two colonial cultures um which by the way was maybe a mistake on my part for
logistics like actually planning it but i thought it was a there are so many cases
historically where you have two competing colonial powers that are trying to like play the
native cultures off of each other and all that stuff and one of the colonial cultures
is um they're like well we don't want to strip the resources from these people
but we want to essentially civilize them and the native culture is definitely the
native culture and it have but it has a caste system and the caste system is uh
dysfunctional especially in the modern world with these um with these colonial powers
messing with them it's it's making their cast system even more dysfunctional and the
number of players that have basically given the same justification you would see of
like raj india or like belgian congo apologia
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 4th, 2024, 23:50
Missing Deadfire, here's my quick writeup from the Woke Content Detector steamgroup:
Game contains overt LGBT messaging. Four of the companions are 'bisexual'. Tekehu, one of the male companions, will make suggestive comments to the player character if they are male.

Game contains lecturing on colonialism. Josh Sawyer, the lead developer, has spoken on this:

because they're seeing someone justify a lot of fascist like you know super duper
fascist tendencies in real time you're like okay i can see the gears in a person's
head working outside of the context of the real world in this fantasy world really
although it's very close parallel to our real world they're doing that in dead fire one
of the things that i thought was really wild and i still think is really wild is
um it's a it's about colonialism at its heart there's a native culture there are
logistics like actually planning it but i thought it was a there are so many cases
historically where you have two competing colonial powers that are trying to like play the
native cultures off of each other and all that stuff and one of the colonial cultures
but we want to essentially civilize them and the native culture is definitely the
dysfunctional especially in the modern world with these um with these colonial powers
messing with them it's it's making their cast system even more dysfunctional and the
number of players that have basically given the same justification you would see of
I just have no idea why all these devs think putting sexual shit into their games helps at all. It's not needed, rarely warranted. Fucking faggots.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Breathe wrote: April 5th, 2024, 00:09

I just have no idea why all these devs think putting sexual shit into their games helps at all. It's not needed, rarely warranted. Fucking faggots.
You think you're the target audience?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

What stands out to me is this: He's come up with a really great concept for a setting - two colonial powers fighting each other, and how the (as he says) dysfucntional native culture deals with it. Great! That's a pretty compelling background. But then he's shocked when people take the actual lessons learned from the real world and apply it to their view of the game. He's in his Left Coast bubble and cannot comprehend how normal people see the world and honestly thought that people playing his game would just automatically buy into his bizarre worldview.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: April 5th, 2024, 00:42

What stands out to me is this: He's come up with a really great concept for a setting - two colonial powers fighting each other, and how the (as he says) dysfucntional native culture deals with it. Great! That's a pretty compelling background. But then he's shocked when people take the actual lessons learned from the real world and apply it to their view of the game. He's in his Left Coast bubble and cannot comprehend how normal people see the world and honestly thought that people playing his game would just automatically buy into his bizarre worldview.
Deadfire was made in the later part of sawyer going full soyer. He even does a full revisionism of FNV, which he made when he was a libertarian.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Important question: is it woke to have humanity represented by some form of brownoid in a futuristic setting, or is it just a realistic prediction? I vaguely remember a Mass Effect dev saying that it took place post-browning, hence the main humans, Anderson, Udina, Ashley and Kaiden all being non-white.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 6th, 2024, 17:49
Important question: is it woke to have humanity represented by some form of brownoid in a futuristic setting, or is it just a realistic prediction? I vaguely remember a Mass Effect dev saying that it took place post-browning, hence the main humans, Anderson, Udina, Ashley and Kaiden all being non-white.
It's woke.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Irenaeus wrote: April 6th, 2024, 17:57
It's woke.
Why?
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 6th, 2024, 18:17
Irenaeus wrote: April 6th, 2024, 17:57
It's woke.
Why?
A futuristic setting only makes sense with white people and nearly zero browns or worse. Anything else is fantasy, might as well have Kirk fucking green alien women.
J-12

Post by J-12 »

I don't know how search works on this site, did anyone figure out if Fallout 2 is woke or not?
I guess it has some elements of it but they are rather easily skippable.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I'd argue it's only non-woke if the setting is depicted as a hellish dystopia.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

gerey wrote: April 6th, 2024, 19:38
I'd argue it's only non-woke if the setting is depicted as a hellish dystopia.
So reality.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

J-12 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 19:33
I don't know how search works on this site, did anyone figure out if Fallout 2 is woke or not?
I'd argue it is - but only because of the Enclave. Everything else in the game, you can opt out of, reject or outright kill/destroy, but you will always be forced to fight the Enclave.

It's doubly insulting because they are depicted as cartoonish clown and lack the moral ambiguity and nuance of the Master from the first game.
J-12

Post by J-12 »

I'd give devs a pass for anything Enclave-related, it is very obvious they were extremely time-constrained with them, literally everything about their lore and reasons is scuffed and unfinished.
But at the very least, what little is shown about them depict american goverment just PERFECT.
gerey wrote: April 6th, 2024, 20:10
J-12 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 19:33
I'd argue it is - but only because of the Enclave. Everything else in the game, you can opt out of, reject or outright kill/destroy, but you will always be forced to fight the Enclave.

It's doubly insulting because they are depicted as cartoonish clown and lack the moral ambiguity and nuance of the Master from the first game.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

J-12 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 20:24
I'd give devs a pass for anything Enclave-related, it is very obvious they were extremely time-constrained with them, literally everything about their lore and reasons is scuffed and unfinished.
But at the very least, what little is shown about them depict american goverment just PERFECT.
They are heckin' facisterino and you are a BIGOT if you think anything positive about them

#orangemanbad
J-12

Post by J-12 »

Consider all the wicked experiments on their own civvies and evil plans they had.
There is no satire, it literally is just CIA.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

The Enclave work fine as villains. They don't want to mix with irradiated mongrels.

The only stupid part is that cinematic at the beginning where they open fire on untainted vault dwellers for no reason. I believe Chris Avellone mentioned in his Fallout Bible that he has no clue how to justify that, just something some marketing guy thought would be cool I believe.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Roguey wrote: April 6th, 2024, 22:25
The Enclave work fine as villains. They don't want to mix with irradiated mongrels.

The only stupid part is that cinematic at the beginning where they open fire on untainted vault dwellers for no reason. I believe Chris Avellone mentioned in his Fallout Bible that he has no clue how to justify that, just something some marketing guy thought would be cool I believe.
I guess you could rationalise it as boots just doing what the sergeant says, maybe the scientists wanted to access something inside, so they had to clear a path, and interpretation results in a massacre. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Skyrim looks like it was made by somebody who had never seen wood.
BLofbr

Post by BLofbr »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 7th, 2024, 01:53
maidenhaver wrote: April 7th, 2024, 01:51
Skyrim looks like it was made by somebody who had never seen wood.
15 mins of the depth of wood in skyrim lol
BLofbr

Post by BLofbr »

Dark Alliance 1 and 2, untouched by the gay, before this woke bullshit.
Last edited by BLofbr on April 7th, 2024, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.
LemonDemonGirl

Post by LemonDemonGirl »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 1st, 2024, 06:10
Icebrood Saga starts off kinda mild. One of the six Elder Dragons, Jormag, gets retconned from being a he into having a female voice, which I suppose was a wise creative decision since we already had three male Elder Dragon villains. Then in episode 4, Jormag is now suddenly being referred to as a "they/them". What, did Jormag fly to a city and declare that the puny mortals should address her as a they/them? Seriously, how do the characters know how to address Jormag? And the "they/them" keeps getting spoken a lot (since Jormag is the villain of the storyline and thus the characters interact with and talk to her a lot).
Did Jormag grow another head? What the fuck? Why couldn't they just have kept it a she?

Also, there is suddenly a lot of cursing in EoD. I used to be able to play GW2 with my window open to let cool air into the room without paying electricity for the AC, but I can't do that anymore. Not with kids playing outside, and with me wanting to remain respectable to my neighbors.
Oh wow....
Man, I'm so glad GW2 is free. Only reason why I stopped playing it was the P2W cash shop shit.
► Show Spoiler
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

LemonDemonGirl wrote: April 7th, 2024, 19:58
Why couldn't they just have kept it a she?
There was a big round of layoffs at the studio at the end of 2019, when a third expansion was not greenlit and resources were being diverted away from GW2 to another game that never made it out of development hell. By that point the original writers were gone and were replaced, and coincidentally that was when the woke stuff ramped up.

they were going to have Sylvanas be the new Arbiter
Goodness gracious!

The only part of Dragonflight I've played is the Dracthyr class/race Starting Zone, and it will remain that way.
Some of the content in the expansion was fun. The landscapes generally looked good. I enjoyed the puzzle adventure gameplay of the Zskera Vaults. The raids were fun to go through once. The ice spider in Vault of the Incarnates, Raszageth, Echo of Neltharion, Volcoross, and Tindral fights were my favorites.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

nah fuck touching retail even with a 10 foot pole

wow expansions just got progressively stupider and stupider

killing off ya boi Vol'jin and not even making him do anything as warchief to replace him with mary suelvanas was the nail in the coffin for me, everything after that was just blatantly retarded

wakandan trolls, gayboi anduin, horde getting completely guttered characterwise, adding gay shit like vulpera and race variants and shit, fuckin why bother

even classic got tainted with the pozz, shit's tragic