We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

List of woke and non-woke role-playing games

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

I admit I haven't read the entire thread, but as an old man, I might have a few older games for you - you see, the wokeness began pretty early, even if it wasn't noticed as such:

Neverwinter Nights - strong female lead. It is soften however by the fact she is married to a man and after things happen, go completely bonkers.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - a lot more probnounced, with several NPCs in power being women, on both the antagonist's side as well as the protagonist. It was quite jarring even back then.

The Sims games - this is more explanatory since its about people in general, but it seems that there is always representation of non-straight and non-whites. I wonder what the reaction will be with Inzou that will mostly feature Koreans... The Sims seems to take inspiration from cultural melting pots like Los Angeles or New York, when there are large areas and even states in the US that are almost exclusively white (Sidenote: I made it a point to remove all black people from my hoods).

Examples of non-woke games are Ghostmaster and the relatively recent Frostpunk.

I saw someone mention Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and no, it's not woke - the missions there with the witches for example just gives you female NPCs in leading roles, not because they are female, but that the mission is custom made for females (men being withces was very rare after all).

Just my two cents on the topic.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Well, to some level it has always been in various content due to many motivations and intent, but I think it was originally in most of cases subtle and cleverly placed (not always) so as to not draw attention from the masses, leaving only the purists to argue over meaning and intent. These days though, the people creating it aren't clever, subtle, or even competent as they wield their politics like a drunken ogre swinging a table blindly in a crowded room.

They originally took that which was a "frog in the boiling water" approach, but some ideological crusaders decided to turn up the heat mid way and everyone is noticing the water is getting hot. They can't turn back now, so they are going full in with the flames, which will likely result in a backlash that will have severe repercussions for their activism which means either change is about to occur, or we are about to be thrown into the frying pan.
Last edited by Xenich on March 9th, 2024, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 10th, 2024, 18:32
How's the Woman's Lot DLC in KCD?
Never added it, the name alone suggested I should avoid it.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Wonder what the timeline with Warhouse selling out, Vavra fucking off, and that DLC being released is. Seems like the sort of thing @Roguey would know off the top of his head.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 10th, 2024, 19:04
Wonder what the timeline with Warhouse selling out, Vavra fucking off, and that DLC being released is. Seems like the sort of thing @Roguey would know off the top of his head.
That DLC was promised as an add-on to Kickstarter backers as a fig leaf to people upset about the lack of a female protagonist. Vavra wanted to deliver a more-nearly-authentic experience.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

AFAIK Woman's Lot isn't much like the main game at all, but I've never played it.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

This is one of the most important threads on the forum.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Gregz wrote: March 10th, 2024, 19:57
This is one of the most important threads on the forum.
Gregz needs this thread so he knows which games are for him and which are for disgusting chuds.

-Humbaba
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I only remember the stealth segment through the mine being aggravating.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 9th, 2024, 02:32
Roguey wrote: March 9th, 2024, 02:27
Nammu Archag wrote: March 8th, 2024, 23:12
KCD is probably just written by people who are normal by 2000s standards, I don't think they are pro or anti-woman unless you compare them to islamists.
Normal by 2000s standards means being a third wave feminist. Like The Thaumaturge.
where the hell were you at in the 2000s?
Reminder that @Roguey is a gay communist that hates White People.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Mondain wrote: March 9th, 2024, 02:53
The quest is really bad because it's heavily railroaded. Roguey is still wrong tho
Here's the good ending, by the way. @Roguey is always wrong - except when he finally kills himself.

Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

I'm not talking about anything that happened in the DLC, I don't even have it.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

the dlc basically adds three new things - extended prologue where you play as Theresa, a hefty questline in Sasau where you help out Johanka, and a dog companion.

The prologue part is pretty terrible - it is overly long and boring, and it also portrays Theresa as some kind of superhuman badass Ghost of Kiev who stealthily stabbs dozens of Cumans. Another negative thing about Theresa's prologue is that it accidentally dupes a lot of first time players into playing it right after original game's already overly-long prologue, because Theresa is the first character you meet after waking up in Rattay mill and it makes sense to ask her how she managed to escape from Skalitz.

I liked Johanka's questline a lot actually. Dunno why ppl here call it woke or even feminist, probably a knee jerk reaction. Johanka is a decently written character, the quests are well designed (IMO), and the final segment has a ton of variables (your ending depends on your stats, your past decisions, your knowledge of the world, whether you read certain books or not, etc). I also liked how the inquisitor wasn't portrayed as a mustache twirling villain who came here to burn people at the stake - he genuinely wants to uncover the truth, and concedes if you manage to prove your point.

The DLC would've been better if it only had the Johanka questline, without the part where you play as Theresa.
Last edited by wndrbr on March 12th, 2024, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:25
the dlc basically adds three new things - extended prologue where you play as Theresa, a hefty questline in Sasau where you help out Johanka, and a dog companion.

The prologue part is pretty terrible - it is overly long and boring, and it also portrays Theresa as some kind of superhuman badass Ghost of Kiev who stealthily stabbs dozens of Cumans. Another negative thing about Theresa's prologue is that it accidentally dupes a lot of first time players into playing it right after original game's already overly-long prologue, because Theresa is the first character you meet after waking up in Rattay mill and it makes sense to ask her how she managed to escape from Skalitz.

I liked Johanka's questline a lot actually. Dunno why ppl here call it woke or even feminist, probably a knee jerk reaction. Johanka is a decently written character, the quests are well designed (IMO), and the final segment has a ton of variables (your ending depends on your stats, your past decisions, your knowledge of the world, whether you read certain books or not, etc). I also liked how the inquisitor wasn't portrayed as a villain who came here to chew bubble gum and burn people the stake - he genuinely wants to uncover the truth, and concedes if you manage to prove your point.

The DLC would've been better if it only had the Johanka questline, without the part where you play as Theresa.
But what about the dog?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Dog is alright. Helps you out a lot by distracting enemies during the group fights, allowing you to focus on one guy at a time.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Between the Stars is probably woke. I'm not playing further to find out more, I refunded it.
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2024, 05:03
Lhynn wrote: March 4th, 2024, 23:18
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 05:42
(Again, splattercat is the only person with a recent up-to-date review video)

Between the Stars looks quite good, had it on my radar for a while but it releases soon:

Nowhere near enough variety reviewers anymore
Played it for like an hour, didnt quite get what it was going for. Im not sure if I just didnt find a key, but spending 5-10 minutes slowly going from mission to mission isnt my idea of fun.
I did like the mini adventures and dice rolls.

It has some of the ugliest characters in any rpg ever though.
You could have at least warned me it's DEI slop.
Prologue opens with a female captain with half her head shaved, and this is my crew:

Submitting a refund.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The part where people say that Henry is a God fearing man that wouldn't do such and such is always a bit weird to me.

You can have Henry commit every single sin from Lust to Pride, and commit murder on top too, but getting drugged is too much.

I think the more interesting way of looking at things is that the game doesn't really have a karma system to prevent a heathen/hedonistic quest being offered to a Henry that refuses to sin and/or to kill anything but Cumans/heathens.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fine, but I feel we're getting nitpicky.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The_Mask wrote: March 12th, 2024, 08:29
You can have Henry commit every single sin from Lust to Pride,
You played the game much differently than I did.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2024, 08:30
It's irrelevant how you played the game, because the options are always offered despite your roleplay. And then, it's not like there's any real consequence to dancing in the woodz. The priest chastises you for "not doing enough" protests or no protests coming from Henry.

In fact the only time there are *any* consequences to what you do in the game is when you take the pilgrimage, and if you were a good Christian, you get to skip much of the process, but that's it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The_Mask wrote: March 12th, 2024, 08:38
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2024, 08:30
It's irrelevant how you played the game, because the options are always offered despite your roleplay. And then, it's not like there's any real consequence to dancing in the woodz. The priest chastises you for "not doing enough" protests or no protests coming from Henry.

In fact the only time there are *any* consequences to what you do in the game is when you take the pilgrimage, and if you were a good Christian, you get to skip much of the process, but that's it.
Your Henry was a bad, bad man.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Henry is a predefined character with a predefined set of beliefs. During most of the story segments he's a goody two shoes and a proper lad.

Unfortunately, every now and then the game decides that it wants to be an RPG, and gives you options to be a psychokiller, a thief, and a fornicator.

KCD is a very schizo game full of clashing design decisions. I assume it's because Vavra is both a storyfag who loves movies, and also an immersionfag who wants his games to have simulationist aspect. Mafia was also a linear cinematic game with lots of simulation moments that sometimes worked wonderfully, and sometimes made the experience rather frustrating.
Last edited by wndrbr on March 12th, 2024, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

wndrbr wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:25
I liked Johanka's questline a lot actually. Dunno why ppl here call it woke or even feminist
It's just better to ignore roguey on this topic tbh.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Lord of Riva wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:35
It's just better to ignore roguey on this topic tbh.
Roguey wrote: March 10th, 2024, 23:22
I'm not talking about anything that happened in the DLC, I don't even have it.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Tweed wrote: March 12th, 2024, 11:53
Lord of Riva wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:35
It's just better to ignore roguey
He did say he enjoys sucking dick, simping, anal ass sex, and trannies.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

You don't have to take my word for it:
Roguey wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:09
Suzi's cute, popular, and has a voice that's nice to listen to, simple as.
(in regards to a tranny streamer)
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Nooneatall wrote: March 12th, 2024, 22:15
You don't have to take my word for it:
Roguey wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:09
Suzi's cute, popular, and has a voice that's nice to listen to, simple as.
(in regards to a tranny streamer)
Saying I find a transperson attractive is not whatever you hallucinated.
Lord of Riva

Post by Lord of Riva »

Roguey wrote: March 12th, 2024, 22:46
Saying I find a transperson attractive is not whatever you hallucinated.
There is no such thing as "gender" neither is there such a thing as intersex. If you said a "Transperson" is attractive you have most likely said that you find a man (presuming you did not mean a ftm "trans" person) with autogynophilia attractive.

Attraction to men who cross-dress with psychological issues is bad enough.
Last edited by Lord of Riva on March 13th, 2024, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.