We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

So i wish to play some more of 5e

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
J-12

So i wish to play some more of 5e

Post by J-12 »

Woke-cult ruined everything, they outright STOLE this hobby from me and corrupted it. Being neutral to the westerners inane faggotry is not enough anymore, unless you actively support them and parade their flag of clowns they look at you like something wrong with you and not them. Not to mention you can't have different opinions from the woke gestapo without getting banned from wherever you have to deal with them.
I have no problem with the system or the setting apart from what came out in the past 5-6 recent years. I wish these years for this hobby just didn't happen, back when getting a group of normal people wasn't such a quest on it's own.
If anyone shares that feeling here - leave a comment. Maybe we can gather a group and play it.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Reading this makes me feel old. I've never actually played 5e. 3.5e was the last time I played a round of PnP. Sigh.

I agree with you though. I hope you find a group.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

My suggestion. Try to find OSR groups and play older editions. Little to no wokies in old school scene.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Almost all of the OSR editions are made by woke libtards. Your best bet is to get copies of the AD&D 2nd edition, or Hackmaster 5th edition, other more niche RPGs and homebrew your own setting. (Personally I also like 3.x and 4 mechanics, but the settings are bad - especially Forgotten Realms or Paizo's lore.)
J-12

Post by J-12 »

WaterMage wrote: February 20th, 2024, 09:13
My suggestion. Try to find OSR groups and play older editions. Little to no wokies in old school scene.
Thanks for the advice, but like i said, i have no problem with 5e as a system, i know it and like it a lot, i just need to find some people who aren't obsessed with wokeness who'd be willing to play it with me.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 20th, 2024, 10:08
Acrux wrote: February 20th, 2024, 10:00
Almost all of the OSR editions are made by woke libtards.
ACKS
Good point. ACKS is a very notable exception and a very good system.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Almost all of the OSR editions are made by woke libtards
Lamentations of the flame princess & Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea disagrees + the mentioned ACKS.
Last edited by WaterMage on February 20th, 2024, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

I share the feeling, leaving a comment.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

J-12 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 07:31
Woke-cult ruined everything, they outright STOLE this hobby from me and corrupted it. Being neutral to the westerners inane faggotry is not enough anymore, unless you actively support them and parade their flag of clowns they look at you like something wrong with you and not them. Not to mention you can't have different opinions from the woke gestapo without getting banned from wherever you have to deal with them.
I have no problem with the system or the setting apart from what came out in the past 5-6 recent years. I wish these years for this hobby just didn't happen, back when getting a group of normal people wasn't such a quest on it's own.
If anyone shares that feeling here - leave a comment. Maybe we can gather a group and play it.
When AI DMs are sorted out we can play together.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

God, I hate crybaby easterners.
J-12

Post by J-12 »

The exploration i get to build as a DM, essentially making my own crime-scene the players get to disassemble thread by thread.
Also all the cool monsters and their statblocks/artwork, it was like an endless box of toys for my mind to build a story with.
Tweed wrote: February 21st, 2024, 00:37
Why in God's name would you want to play 5e?
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

J-12 wrote: February 21st, 2024, 07:19
The exploration i get to build as a DM, essentially making my own crime-scene the players get to disassemble thread by thread.
Also all the cool monsters and their statblocks/artwork, it was like an endless box of toys for my mind to build a story with.
You could do all that in CoC.
J-12

Post by J-12 »

From what i heard it's not as flexible. But say even if i did learned that system, wouldn't it have the exact same problem?
Tweed wrote: February 21st, 2024, 08:20
Marcellus

Post by Marcellus »

Almost all of the OSR editions are made by woke libtards. Your best bet is to get copies of the AD&D 2nd edition, or Hackmaster 5th edition, other more niche RPGs and homebrew your own setting. (Personally I also like 3.x and 4 mechanics, but the settings are bad - especially Forgotten Realms or Paizo's lore.)
It's fine to have preferences, but tagging creators with political terminology may be overly simplistic. AD&D 2nd edition and Hackmaster 5th edition provide unique experiences, while homebrewing gives for creative freedom. Overall, enjoyment is determined by personal preferences.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

J-12 wrote: February 21st, 2024, 09:01
From what i heard it's not as flexible. But say even if i did learned that system, wouldn't it have the exact same problem?
Tweed wrote: February 21st, 2024, 08:20
Stop quoting posts this way or I'm going to call the police.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

I've really only played OSR but I'd be open to learning and playing 5e
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

J-12 wrote: February 21st, 2024, 09:01
From what i heard it's not as flexible.
CoC is much more robust on the investigative and puzzle-solving side. You have a gajillion different skills, instead of just a couple dozens, better granularity when it comes to assign and manipulate the difficulty of various rolls as Keeper, Idea rolls to make the game progress if the players get stuck (everyone loves the idea of an investigative adventure until a session is wasted in a few hours of 'mmhh', ''...so?" and 'uuuh' ). Players have resources they can spend to influence the outcome of rolls and you, as Keeper, can emphasize which actions are important to solve the conundrum/crysis at hand and/or give them a precise idea of what the consequences of a failed (pushed) roll would be.

5e gives you advantage and a single roll on a d20 system. You can maybe scrounge some secondary effect from a spell which is marginally useful, in the specific situation at hand (strictly talking investigative adventures here).

CoC is propositive players can suggest the outcome of a skill use. Eg, your goal is to interact with the museum curator, since he can grant access to the toenail of Mh'c ghu-fin. Player a) could propose a finance check, to acquire a rare piece with the intention of donating it to the museum. Player b) can propose a stealth check, to enter the curator office unnoticed. Player c) could try impressing the curator directly with his knoweledge of history or ancient language, player d) could do the same as c) but use instead his 'library use' skill to point out an issue in the museum catalogue and proposing an elegant solution. Point is, each of those approaches is solved very quickly, doesn;t need additional Keeper resources and is actively intiated by the player. This is ackshually pretty hard to do for players, mind you. I rarely get CoC players that really go deep with this side of the system but it's there.

D&D and derivate are reactive in skill usage. Which means the usual order of action is the player states which goal he wants to achieve and the GM asks for a specific roll. The GM asks for the roll, it's not the player that proposes which skill is better suited. Ofc you can go beyond that and have a small situational conversation, if your player wants a different approach. This is very situational tho, 95% of times it works precisely like the former, because D&D doesn't stop to play with obstacles, it wants you to either go around them or trivialize them via some absolute effect. It's a game about exploring maps and killing monsters in tactical combat.
Also all the cool monsters and their statblocks/artwork
CoC 7e has exceptional art too. Altho the statting of entities is very much limited when compared to D&D. And the difference in scope glaring. Additionally, most of the cooler stuff you can more or less only use as a cutscene of sort. There's no way any kind of group could ever need the combat stats of Tsathoggua or Ithaqua in any practical way or shape. You can push the boundaries a lot more with a supplement called Pulp Cthulhu that gives player characters much more viable combat options and survivability but that only goes so far, some stuff will simply always be too much.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

i hear coc is all about shooting monsters and burning them with op plasma weapons
Calumininium

Post by Calumininium »

Marcellus wrote: February 21st, 2024, 13:43
It's fine to have preferences, but tagging creators with political terminology may be overly simplistic. AD&D 2nd edition and Hackmaster 5th edition provide unique experiences, while homebrewing gives for creative freedom. Overall, enjoyment is determined by personal preferences.
I'm actually going to forward @Segata Sanshiro request as a reminder as it is a valid one considering he is an important engineer of the website, and in accordance to the seemingly AI generated text you posted.

Please, can kindly you write 'NIGGER' in your next post ? this is to determine whether you're a bot or not. Thanks for cooperating.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Lets kill niggers in a post-Capitalist society.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

asf wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 00:35
i hear coc is all about shooting monsters with completely silenced guns and burning them with op plasma weapons
I fixed it for you
J-12

Post by J-12 »

Few people did answer but we still need a few more to get party full, if anyone else here wants to join just PM me.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

You know, if we had the dice roller (ahem) you could play right here on the forum.
J-12

Post by J-12 »

Acrux wrote: February 27th, 2024, 18:34
You know, if we had the dice roller (ahem) you could play right here on the forum.
Never was into PBP, i want to participate or run it myself some proper campaign with VTT and discord for voices.