We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

WhiteShark wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:46
East Asians are more androgynous by default, so I don't think it's that strange that their protagonists, who are typically young, don't look like extremely masculine by western standards.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:50
Jordy wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:41
FFVIII - No gay stuff I can remember
At least he doesn't try and hit on you every 5 mins a la BG3 but yeah, 3/4 length shorts are pretty gay.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:52
East Asians are more androgynous by default, so I don't think it's that strange that their protagonists, who are typically young, don't look like extremely masculine by western standards.
That sounds a lot like John Cleese :scratch:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

their protagonists were fagged to appeal to fujos

if anything, japan was way ahead of the west in this shit
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 9th, 2024, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Jordy wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:54
ArcaneLurker wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:52
That sounds a lot like John Cleese :scratch:
Correct!
BobT

Post by BobT »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:50
Jordy wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:41
FFVIII - No gay stuff I can remember
I don't remember anything gay about Zell. Still in the "punky boy" era, that one.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 9th, 2024, 22:55
their protagonists were fagged to appeal to fujos
Proof? It seems an odd policy if the majority of players are male.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Are you even aware of why the main character of FF12 is Vaan?
WhiteShark wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:01
It seems an odd policy if the majority of players are male.
Because they weren't catering to their guaranteed customers, they were expanding their customer base. Increase in short-term profits for a long-term detriment.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I once did a job in a very dirty apartment. Vividly recall the living room consisting of a mattress on the floor with a poster of Sephiroth on the wall across from it.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on February 9th, 2024, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:02
No, I have no idea. I was hoping you had some articles or interviews on specific examples or just in general.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Because they weren't catering to their guaranteed customers, they were expanding their customer base. Increase in short-term profits for a long-term detriment.
Is FfX-2 more or less gay for appealing to male Idol fans with this-
?
(Can only play as the trio of girls in this one).
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 9th, 2024, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:08
No, I have no idea. I was hoping you had some articles or interviews on specific examples or just in general.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Va ... the_scenes
BobT

Post by BobT »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:18
?
Hmmm was it really tho? I never bothered with X-2 since it just looked like it was made for girls, to me. All the silly idol bullshit, dancing, costumes and "sistahs" mentality, inc the dyke. Zero appeal for me, as a man.
Also corrupted Yuna into some bullshit that she would never be. The sort of thing the character would wake up from and be like "wow, that was a bad dream".
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:28

?
Hmmm was it really tho? I never bothered with X-2 since it just looked like it was made for girls, to me. All the silly idol bullshit, dancing, costumes and "sistahs" mentality, inc the dyke. Zero appeal for me, as a man.
Also corrupted Yuna into some bullshit that she would never be. The sort of thing the character would wake up from and be like "wow, that was a bad dream".
I thought that too, until I learnt about idol otaku fan culture in Japan. You can see anime such as Gintama routinely making fun of it.
There would have been more business in idol culture than appealing to girls. Then again, I suppose Rusty is saying that Slice of Life Vaan is a Fujo character?
I don't remember a hint of homoeroticism with other male characters.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 9th, 2024, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

?
Leave Rikku alone!
BobT

Post by BobT »

I don't know much about the male idol worshipping culture, however aren't the girls into that, too? As in isn't there loads of girls that want to BE them? I always assumed it was appealing to those.

The entire game seems very "girly", not just the idol bits. Isn't there whole thing about changing outfits? ("Dress Spheres" or something?) Seems like gameplay girls would like, rather than men.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. X-2 was really close to greatness. All they needed to do was make it turn based and replace Payne with someone hot.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

GhostCow wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:34
I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. X-2 was really close to greatness. All they needed to do was make it turn based and replace Payne with someone hot.
Really? I honestly never played it, despite playing 10, because I found the overt flamboyance off-putting.
BobT wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:34
I don't know much about the male idol worshipping culture, however aren't the girls into that, too? As in isn't there loads of girls that want to BE them? I always assumed it was appealing to those.

The entire game seems very "girly", not just the idol bits. Isn't there whole thing about changing outfits? ("Dress Spheres" or something?) Seems like gameplay girls would like, rather than men.
We're not talking about the average man around the globe here, we're talking about Japanese idol fans.
I'll compromise and say it was intended to appeal to both women and male idol fans.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 9th, 2024, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

GhostCow wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:34
I'm amazed that it's come up enough for you to say it a million times.

The concept never appealed to me and I was surprised when a friend of mine, who had similar tastes as me, sung it's praises. Still never played it though.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Two articles are referenced with regards to the change of Vaan's character in development, and this is what they said:
Akitoshi Kawazu wrote:
That said, Vaan in particular is obviously a little bit younger than the series is used to and there are a lot of people on the development team who aren't necessarily feeling like this is the right character - it does kind of clash with the other characters and environments in the game. But, traditionally for the Japanese RPG market, you start out with a young, inexperienced character who grows throughout the story so, to an extent, having the lead be this younger immature character that is undeveloped is somewhat expected.
The Making of Final Fantasy XII wrote:
While Basch and his struggle to restore his good name remain a critical element of the final version of the game, the company's higher-ups reportedly insisted that teenage duo Vaan and Penelo be made the game's point-of-view characters. Final Fantasy has to connect with young players, and Basch (being an elderly 28 years of age) evidently wouldn't do.
Neither appears to claim that he was made effeminate in order to appeal to fujos; rather, it sounds like he was made younger and less experienced to be more relatable to children.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: February 9th, 2024, 23:48
Two articles are referenced with regards to the change of Vaan's character in development, and this is what they said:
Akitoshi Kawazu wrote:
That said, Vaan in particular is obviously a little bit younger than the series is used to and there are a lot of people on the development team who aren't necessarily feeling like this is the right character - it does kind of clash with the other characters and environments in the game. But, traditionally for the Japanese RPG market, you start out with a young, inexperienced character who grows throughout the story so, to an extent, having the lead be this younger immature character that is undeveloped is somewhat expected.
The Making of Final Fantasy XII wrote:
While Basch and his struggle to restore his good name remain a critical element of the final version of the game, the company's higher-ups reportedly insisted that teenage duo Vaan and Penelo be made the game's point-of-view characters. Final Fantasy has to connect with young players, and Basch (being an elderly 28 years of age) evidently wouldn't do.
Neither appears to claim that he was made effeminate in order to appeal to fujos; rather, it sounds like he was made younger and less experienced to be more relatable to children.
Q: There seems to be a trend of FF games towards younger looking, more effeminate male leads. Did you ever consider making a more rugged looking hero?

Lot's of laughter as the super translater person tries to figure out how to describe Vaan as "effeminate."

Yoshida: In the early stages of development the hero character was more rugged -- big and tough. As we started shaping up the scenario and taking into consideration the target demographic, the character became what you see today. There were other ideas tossed around.

Until motion capture and voice actor Kohei Takeda was cast for Vaan, the main character was actually a little more effeminate. With him playing the role, the character became more active, upbeat, bright and positive. The character would have been even more effeminate had Takeda not been cast.
The implication from this is either they were marketing to fujos, or they were marketing towards pedophiliac homosexuals.
Take your pick.

If the argument is "akshually, it was for teen boys to project onto!", I'm going to preemptively poke that bubble by pointing out how unpopular Vaan is primarily with people who were young teen males when FF12 released.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

(this is one of Rusty's iconic bizarre statements you don't have to engage with)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 10th, 2024, 00:21
(this is one of Rusty's iconic bizarre statements you don't have to engage with)
and taking into consideration the target demographic,
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Honestly, to me it sounds like 'effeminate' is the interviewers word and the interviewee accepts it only to contrast with the idea of a big tough hero, but I could be wrong. I find it implausible that the changes to Vaan were made to target a completely different demograhpic when Japanese media tends to be laser focused on one target and reasons were already given in the other sources for why they thought a younger, less hardened hero was desirable.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

That reminds me of another thing in the original FF7

Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 10th, 2024, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Balthier should have been the main hero in FFXII.
The man is a sky pirate adventurer, ffs.
Vaan was just an annoying kid with no talents or abilities.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Rand wrote: February 10th, 2024, 18:25
Vaan was just an annoying kid with no talents or abilities.
They were just trying to make the most relatable protagonist.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Is he eating avocado toast?

Who else is enjoying {current_year} gaming? When do consooomers stop buying this garbage?