We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Explains why the artstyle is all over the place

ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Explains the Bollywood camera shots.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on March 6th, 2024, 23:25, edited 2 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

This may deserve its own thread, though I am hoping a quick response will remedy my question.

I never really got into the FF series, I was always meaning to, but just tried them at various times briefly when they were released and really stopped playing consoles early on. Because I am a bit of OCD, I could never bring myself to start one of the games on PC without convincing myself to go back and start from the beginning.

Since then, it appears the originals have released on PC (as well as simply using emulators), so I was wondering what would be a good run at them , and what should be avoided (I can stand most play types, I don't mind JRPG play if I am going for it, but I dislike the "woke" crap of today.

So if I were to start, FFI-VI pixel remaster would be acceptable I think (are the consoles preferred?) then VII PC, and after that I am clueless as to if it would be worth the time. Any ideas, recommendations? in games to avoid of the series?
Last edited by Xenich on March 6th, 2024, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

What the fuck is this nigger-chocobo music?
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on March 7th, 2024, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

it's so fucking over

Last edited by Segata on March 7th, 2024, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Xenich wrote: March 6th, 2024, 16:04
This may deserve its own thread, though I am hoping a quick response will remedy my question.

I never really got into the FF series, I was always meaning to, but just tried them at various times briefly when they were released and really stopped playing consoles early on. Because I am a bit of OCD, I could never bring myself to start one of the games on PC without convincing myself to go back and start from the beginning.

Since then, it appears the originals have released on PC (as well as simply using emulators), so I was wondering what would be a good run at them , and what should be avoided (I can stand most play types, I don't mind JRPG play if I am going for it, but I dislike the "woke" crap of today.

So if I were to start, FFI-VI pixel remaster would be acceptable I think (are the consoles preferred?) then VII PC, and after that I am clueless as to if it would be worth the time. Any ideas, recommendations? in games to avoid of the series?
Avoid the so-called "remasters" at all cost. Each and every single one of them butchers the original aesthetic. FF1 through 8 should be emulated with a CRT-Royale shader applied. FF9 is the only classic FF in which you should consider playing the Steam port so you can use the Moguri mod that gives you expanded backgrounds, but again the game was still intended to be viewed through a CRT. For FF10, try to play the PS2 version if you can. The facial animations were butchered in the transfer, and the "remaster" models are screwed up compared to the original. Play PS2 FF12 if you can as the so-called PS4/Steam "remaster" washed out the colors of the textures when they lazily threw them into an upscaler. FF13, buy the Steam PC port and follow the mod guide to get the high rez cutscene models in normal gameplay, the higher bitrate cinematics, etc.

Final Fantasy is separated into three distinct era: classic FF (1 through 6, though 1-3 and 4-6 are different from each other), the high production value story game era while Sakaguchi was still at the helm (7 through 11) which is what most people think of as Final Fantasy, and then everything after 11 after Sakaguchi was ousted from Square and the series fell apart (12 through 16).

Classic FF (namely 1 through 3) plays like D&D but on console. There isn't a heavy amount of story, and you instead spend most of your time exploring a fantasy world and fighting monsters. Starting with 4 the series began becoming more story focused, but it didn't start becoming the linear moviegames we know FF as today until 6. These games can get difficult at times, though. They had a lot of "you opened a chest and encountered a rare monster that one shots your entire party! Now you have to redo the entire last 2 hours since your last save!". That felt awful. You really need to be playing on emulator and use save states.

7 through 10 are very easy games. Anyone can sleepwalk through them having never really understood the mechanics or minmaxxed their characters.

As for which games you should play, pick whichever appeals to you the most. There is no chronological order as each game is set in a completely different setting, and they are so different that not all of them will appeal to you. If you just want my recommendations, then I'd say go for FF7 through FF10, as those are the most popular entries and the most likely you're to enjoy. Also note that there are a lot of other official, unofficial Final Fantasy games made by the same devs that just happened to not get branded as Final Fantasy. Xenogears, for instance, was originally going to be called Final Fantasy 7 before the name change. Chrono Trigger, Romancing Saga, The Last Remnant, Tactics Ogre, the Mana series, etc. All made by the same talent, so consider checking those out too.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on March 7th, 2024, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 7th, 2024, 18:08
Xenich wrote: March 6th, 2024, 16:04

Avoid the so-called "remasters" at all cost. Each and every single one of them butchers the original aesthetic. FF1 through 8 should be emulated with a CRT-Royale shader applied. FF9 is the only classic FF in which you should consider playing the Steam port so you can use the Moguri mod that gives you expanded backgrounds, but again the game was still intended to be viewed through a CRT. For FF10, try to play the PS2 version if you can. The facial animations were butchered in the transfer, and the "remaster" models are screwed up compared to the original. Play PS2 FF12 if you can as the so-called PS4/Steam "remaster" washed out the colors of the textures when they lazily threw them into an upscaler. FF13, buy the Steam PC port and follow the mod guide to get the high rez cutscene models in normal gameplay, the higher bitrate cinematics, etc.

Final Fantasy is separated into three distinct era: classic FF (1 through 6, though 1-3 and 4-6 are different from each other), the high production value story game era while Sakaguchi was still at the helm (7 through 11) which is what most people think of as Final Fantasy, and then everything after 11 after Sakaguchi was ousted from Square and the series fell apart (12 through 16).

Classic FF (namely 1 through 3) plays like D&D but on console. There isn't a heavy amount of story, and you instead spend most of your time exploring a fantasy world and fighting monsters. Starting with 4 the series began becoming more story focused, but it didn't start becoming the linear moviegames we know FF as today until 6. These games can get difficult at times, though. They had a lot of "you opened a chest and encountered a rare monster that one shots your entire party! Now you have to redo the entire last 2 hours since your last save!". That felt awful. You really need to be playing on emulator and use save states.

7 through 10 are very easy games. Anyone can sleepwalk through them having never really understood the mechanics or minmaxxed their characters.

As for which games you should play, pick whichever appeals to you the most. There is no chronological order as each game is set in a completely different setting, and they are so different that not all of them will appeal to you. If you just want my recommendations, then I'd say go for FF7 through FF10, as those are the most popular entries and the most likely you're to enjoy. Also note that there are a lot of other official, unofficial Final Fantasy games made by the same devs that just happened to not get branded as Final Fantasy. Xenogears, for instance, was originally going to be called Final Fantasy 7 before the name change. Chrono Trigger, Romancing Saga, The Last Remnant, Tactics Ogre, the Mana series, etc. All made by the same talent, so consider checking those out too.
Well, to be honest, I tend to enjoy old school quite a bit so the older ones won't bother me. I did play a lot of the old Dragon Warrior when they released on 8 bit and some on the 16 bit, so the simple combat focused brutal JRPG I am familiar with, and I do like the old look and feel to some of the flashy more modern stuff. I have all the mainstream stuff and have over the years picked up various translated versions from Japan on various titles. So I will set them up for a more relaxed play style (ie couch/console style rather than sitting at the PC).

Thanks again, much appreciated for taking the time!
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 7th, 2024, 17:49
it's so fucking over

It only released on ps5 and square is retarded
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Where does Square Enix go from here, realistically?. Their biggest franchise is declining fast, while development costs are increasing far beyond the demand.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 7th, 2024, 19:18
Where does Square Enix go from here, realistically?. Their biggest franchise is declining fast, while development costs are increasing far beyond the demand.
They have to rebuild an audience. After 20 years of getting shit, the old fans have long since moved on, and the normies that Square's new games cater to aren't loyal and aren't guaranteed to buy future games, especially when the franchise goes 7-8 years between releases. Square needs to go back to consistently releasing a Final Fantasy game every year, which is achievable. If Falcom can do it with Trails with a fraction of Square's resources, then Square can certainly do it today. Stop chasing after photorealism and trends like action combat and return to what the fans liked: an actual artstyle, command based combat with dramatic camera compositions, etc. Also have actually likeable characters. This isn't rocket science. I'm not sure if this is recoverable. The suits who hijacked the company spent the last twenty years driving out Square's talent, who are now making Xenoblades and Granblue Fantasy and so on.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 7th, 2024, 19:26
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 7th, 2024, 19:18
They have to rebuild an audience. After 20 years of getting shit, the old fans have long since moved on, and the normies that Square's new games cater to aren't loyal and aren't guaranteed to buy future games, especially when the franchise goes 7-8 years between releases. Square needs to go back to consistently releasing a Final Fantasy game every year, which is achievable. If Falcom can do it with Trails with a fraction of Square's resources, then Square can certainly do it today. Stop chasing after photorealism and trends like action combat and return to what the fans liked: an actual artstyle, command based combat with dramatic camera compositions, etc. Also have actually likeable characters. This isn't rocket science. I'm not sure if this is recoverable. The suits who hijacked the company spent the last twenty years driving out Square's talent, who are now making Xenoblades and Granblue Fantasy and so on.
13 and 15 were such a downgrade from 12. They are barely rpgs anymore
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

I did watch the trailer and some cinematics. Is there no actual gameplay?
I heard it was bad, but it went under the radar for me, compared to the remake.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 7th, 2024, 20:41
I did watch the trailer and some cinematics. Is there no actual gameplay?
I heard it was bad, but it went under the radar for me, compared to the remake.
I didn't play it, it looks like a game of thrones game edgy game to me. Many said it was mostly movies with a few good combat sections. I might pirate it when it comes to pc I'm not buying a ps5.
BobT

Post by BobT »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 10th, 2024, 17:08
:groan: You can't even play as Vincent or Cid.
U WOT?
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: March 10th, 2024, 23:18
U WOT?
YEAH M8, THEY R 'AVING A FUCKING LAUGH!
BobT

Post by BobT »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 10th, 2024, 23:35
BobT wrote: March 10th, 2024, 23:18
U WOT?
YEAH M8, THEY R 'AVING A FUCKING LAUGH!
IT'S COMPLETELY FUCKING FUCKED M8.

Are they even planning on adding them in future in some jew DLC or something?
I can see how Vincent could be missed (and I did somehow miss him the first time, before I restarted) but, Cid?
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 00:50

I can see how Vincent could be missed (and I did somehow miss him the first time, before I restarted) but, Cid?
► Show Spoiler
So there has to be another game coming. :golf clap:

I think the very first time I played FF7 when I was a kid, I got filtered by the dragons in that cave... :lol:
When I played it again much later I had already seen Advent Children, so I knew to look for him.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on March 11th, 2024, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:07
BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 00:50

► Show Spoiler
So there has to be another game coming. :golf clap:

I think the very first time I played FF7 when I was a kid, I got filtered by the dragons in that cave... :lol:
When I played it again much later I had already seen Advent Children, so I knew to look for him.
You have both at that point in the game though, don't ya?
How would they do the whole Shinra rocket segment and not have Cid join afterwards?
I bet they'll 100% be toning down his treatment of his wife, too.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:12
You have both at that point in the game though, don't ya?
How would they do the whole Shinra rocket segment and not have Cid join afterwards?
I bet they'll 100% be toning down his treatment of his wife, too.
Vincent & Cid are disk 3 I think. The dragons I mean are on disk 2. It was the combined effort of the background confusing me, on top of the powerful random spawns.

Vincent & Cid are in it, and they're part of the narrative, and Vincent's is a boss, but they're just not actual party members that you can play as.
I do not think Rocket Town is even in the game. Cid just meets them in an abandoned airstrip.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on March 11th, 2024, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

The fuck are they even calling this FF7 for? It's some random bullshit fanfic spin-off.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:27
The fuck are they even calling this FF7 for? It's some random bullshit fanfic spin-off.
It is. Which is like Crisis Core and some other spin offs tbh, but multiplied by a hundred. They gave Nomura too much control over story.
The actual creators of FF7 say that the original 'embarrasses them' now, so I think that gives you your answer regarding Cid's domestic issues.

My brother was thinking the ghosts were just a plot point to do something new with the story, and that they wouldn't be seen again. How wrong he was. Same gimmick over and over now, as well as being an excuse to create that retarded multiverse stuff with Zack.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on March 11th, 2024, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Embarrassed by one of the most beloved and best selling RPGs of all time? Wtf are they on?
Last edited by BobT on March 11th, 2024, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:37
Embarrassed by one of the most beloved and best selling RPGs of all time? Wtf are they on?
Yep, they're on whatever special pot ESG dealers are selling, it was in some kind of article addressing why they changed certain things like Cloud stealing Tifa's underwear.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

This is extremely over. Squenix must be panicking.

That's a -91% drop in sales from the first week.
Last edited by Segata on March 16th, 2024, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.