We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Post by Segata »

The demo is out (for PS5).

Nothing screams "immersion" like doing QTEs during a dramatic scene

Models outside cutscenes:

Faithful to classic JRPG combat:

Here's your German-inspired town, bro

► not really a spoiler
Live exciting fantasies where you become the janitor:

Sorry, we lied to you, the time jannies are back:

Behold, the industry's advancement in the last decade:

In conclusion:

maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

How many remakes is this? All legacy devs must hang.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Nips chasing ESG bucks, sad to see.
I don't think Nomura gets why people liked FF7, and wants to create Advent children mixed with Kingdom Hearts. In any case, the PS5 exclusive release is like Early Access for the later PC release.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

The original game was kind of gay and anime like and then the remake was even more gay. The game play was good though.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 8th, 2024, 19:06
The demo is out (for PS5).

Nothing screams "immersion" like doing QTEs during a dramatic scene

Models outside cutscenes:

Faithful to classic JRPG combat:

Here's your German-inspired town, bro

► not really a spoiler
Live exciting fantasies where you become the janitor:

Sorry, we lied to you, the time jannies are back:

In conclusion:

Glad I haven't touched any of the remakes. Never will either.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

ff7 remake is a cutscene simulator, is rebirth the game?
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I guess the PS5 is just not powerful enough to realise the Vision™ of Square Enix
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 8th, 2024, 22:58
ff7 remake is a cutscene simulator, is rebirth the game?
If you consider Ubisoft towers to be gameplay.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

@aweigh defend this.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

His sword looks significantly more ridiculous with higher detail graphics.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Meh, fuck this. Been waiting decades for a REMASTER of this game, which I enjoyed only second to Xenogears / ChronoTrigger, and they come out with this BS? Especially the German town pic..
It's not FF7, just a pale imitation of it, like one of those shapeshifter things that can only make an imperfect clone.

I was tempted before, but now I'm just not gonna play it, and keep the memories of the original intact. This one looks full of padding, anyway.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Played a bit of Remake. Had to stop after the awful forced Jessie scenes and Coldsteel the Hedgehog's introduction.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 9th, 2024, 02:32
Coldsteel the Hedgehog's introduction.
lol wat?
I heard they fucked around with the story too and put in some stupid spirits and dreams of Sephiroth etc. much sooner, filling it with Japanese Fever Dream elements.

Likely because they split / stretched it over multiples games now (meaning you have to pay multiple times) so the Sephiroth revelation near the end of Disk 1 would have been too late and stretched into the second "game" now?
Greedy fucks. Bought the first game and I got that MASSIVE game and all FOUR discs from one purchase, but now they're not happy with that and want you to pay multiple times.
Last edited by BobT on February 9th, 2024, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

BobT wrote: February 9th, 2024, 03:17
lol wat?

Can't stand this retard, it's so embarrassing to watch. And for the record, I love the latest Death Stranding 2 trailer.
I heard they fucked around with the story too and put in some stupid spirits and dreams of Sephiroth etc. much sooner, filling it with Japanese Fever Dream elements.
It seems that you've mistaken the game for a remake, possibly because it's titled Remake, but it's not actually a remake.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 9th, 2024, 03:26
lol wat?

Can't stand this retard, it's so embarrassing to watch. And for the record, I love the latest Death Stranding 2 trailer.
It seems that you've mistaken the game for a remake, possibly because it's titled Remake, but it's not actually a remake.
What the FUCK. Is this even meant to be the same game?
Who the hell is that faggot, and why so much time wasted on bullshit cinematic, effects and dialogue? Why is he American? It looks so "Simon says", too. I remember getting assaulted by loads of Shinra troops.
Urgh. Really going to just pretend this so-called "remake" doesn't exist. Why couldn't they have JUST done a fucking "Remaster" like everyone asked for! People asked for that because they LOVED the original, they didn't want it changed ffs!

The original, for comparison. (I remember the soundtrack and tension of that whole evacuation game section having my heart pumping non-stop):
► Show Spoiler
(Just realised they actually animated Tifa's bouncing beach-balls, too. Bet that would get edited out nowadays. Had to chuckle at them driving UP the straits too, I forgot about that :lol: Love giganigga Barret's boots "thunking" on the ground, so much atmosphere. I wish that they properly animated him sat there blasting at them with his gunarm too, though. Shame that the noob in the vid didn't realise to line himself up with the FRONT of the enemy's bikes, then the slash would hit).

Edit: AHHH, it seems that the scene with the faggot is some random insert they've pulled out their asses and a different scene entirely (WHY?). This is the version of the proper motorbike chase in the new game:
► Show Spoiler
Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Stupid "acting", overly long cutscenes, no sense of "urgency", can hardly hear the soundtrack, too much bullshit. Nearly 10 minutes just to START the actual playable bike bit, when the entire original was over in 3. Then there's GHOSTS and SEPHIROTH. What?????
Last edited by BobT on February 9th, 2024, 04:12, edited 10 times in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

You notice barely any of it involves actual gameplay. Looks like Square wanted to make another "Advent Children"-esque movie, and had to begrudgingly make it a video game because they were obligated to do so. I think they should have just made it a 1:1 remake, and left it at that. Nobody would have complained, and the devs could go on to do something else. Instead they ended up fragmenting the fan base, and had to commit to a multi-game plan that nobody asked for.
BobT

Post by BobT »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 9th, 2024, 03:47
You notice barely any of it involves actual gameplay. Looks like Square wanted to make another "Advent Children"-esque movie, and had to begrudgingly make it a video game because they were obligated to do so. I think they should have just made it a 1:1 remake, and left it at that. Nobody would have complained, and the devs could go on to do something else. Instead they ended up fragmenting the fan base, and had to commit to a multi-game plan that nobody asked for.
Exactly. So many people were crying out for it, it would have just been EASY to remake the original with better graphics and fix any bugs, but leave the rest intact. They had the exact content right there to work with. Surely the budget would have been kept small as all they would need is artists / animators / programmers, not writers and designers and all the rest? EVERY fan of FF7 would have just bought it, no questions asked. Then you get the new people who buy it as they never heard of the original and are too young to manage without the older graphics burning their eyes.
I don't see anything better in the new one, besides the graphics. A little too "anime" with the voice acting, though.
Last edited by BobT on February 9th, 2024, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Six was always better than seven.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Should have titled it Final Fantasy VII Abortion.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 8th, 2024, 19:06

It's not like FF7 remake looks that better either outside of specific set pieces, tho.

Rather boring game, btw. Endless cutscenes, endless walk slow while NPCs talk to each other, extremely linear.
Combat is decent.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 9th, 2024, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

The remake has redeeming qualities. The main issue is that it shouldn't have been branded as a remake, as that comes with expectations that it would not fulfill (a running trend for the FF franchise for the past decade).

A lot of the new stuff was fun, like sneaking into Jessie's house, the dance scene, the motorcycle stuff, etc. You also get to see more parts of Midgar. The diselpunk dystopia on disc 1 is the highlight of FF7 so that's good. But there was also a lot of padding. Most of the gameplay is spent running down industrial and urban corridors fighting mobs, and there are a lot of really crappy MMO tier sidequests, so it feels like there is a lot of padding.

Part 2 looks to be more exciting in terms of combat as you will get a larger roster of characters to pick from when forming your party, as well as some new additions. The story also has to go into fresh territory since it unshackled itself from following the script with the intervention of the Kingdom Hearts time ghosts. But the ubisoft open world gameplay set in a boring desert doesn't look appealing.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

The only endearing quality these games had were as distant memories. Nostalgia used to be treated as a mental illness.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Dance scenes etc? Why the fuck is all that shit necessary though? What even makes it ff7? Why not just put those elements into an entirely new game?
Same with the "time ghosts", wat? Why are those necessary?

Part of the whole scary shit with Sephiroth is you learn about him before you get to see him. How he got to President Shinra and just straight-up fucking killed him before you got there, the flashback of how damn powerful he was in Nibelheim, the monster impaled on the massive spike etc. Bringing him in too early just kills that mystique and makes him some bad recurring anime antagonist.
But of course they've got to have some actual "antagonist" now they've broken it up into multiple separate games. Greedy fucks.

Really wish they hadn't have bothered. Same with when they make movies from games and vice-versa and then complain fans hated it and non-fans weren't bothered either, you had the original content right there, JUST FUCKING USE IT, ARRRG.

I can replay FF7, Xenogears or Chrono Trigger, the Shining games at any point today and enjoy them just as much. These new versions are just forgettable.
Last edited by BobT on February 9th, 2024, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

@Val the Moofia Boss you enjoy characters from your youth being revived just to market cynical trash?
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 9th, 2024, 03:26
lol wat?

I assume this is the first reactor unless they've changed the story that much to keep Jessie/Wedge/Biggs alive to escape Midgar? If it's the first reactor I guess they forgot this:

Code: Select all

Barret: Yo, Cloud! There's somethin' I wanna ask ya. Was there anyone from SOLDIER fighting us today?

Cloud: None. I'm positive.

Barret: You sound pretty sure.

Cloud: If there was anyone from SOLDIER you wouldn't be standing here now.

Barret: Don't go thinkin' you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 9th, 2024, 05:19
It's not like FF7 remake looks that better either outside of specific set pieces, tho.
Yea but that one was a game made to run on a PS4, this one is a PS5 game and nothing about it looks better than Remake.
Rand

Post by Rand »

BobT wrote: February 9th, 2024, 05:51
Same with the "time ghosts", wat? Why are those necessary?
Because it's not really a remake, it's a sequel that's in some time-fucked up replay.
They're gonna have the heroes "fix" the mistakes they made the first time around.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

*sigh* somehow... the yellow paint has returned

When the Jenova cells hit just right

Shadows, what are those?

The power of the PS5

Last edited by Segata on February 9th, 2024, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Jordy wrote: February 9th, 2024, 09:44
I assume this is the first reactor unless they've changed the story that much to keep Jessie/Wedge/Biggs alive to escape Midgar? If it's the first reactor I guess they forgot this:
It's not a remake, it's a retelling.
The time jannies are a representation of the nostalgia obsessed fans demanding the same exact game be remade, they go around making sure everything goes exactly the same as they did originally when anything goes awry. I found it to be quite hilarious, but obviously it made the people it represents pretty butthurt.