We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
BobT

Post by BobT »

Trying not to be pissed off that they're doing this to our older, non-woke, non-trash beloved games. As that's part of the point isn't it, a big fucking troll "ha ha look at us corrupting all your good stuff so EVERYTHING is shit".

Well, fuck you cunts, I still have the old discs, still have the old files. I can happily replay those old games and enjoy em, because they're GOOD.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

BobT wrote: February 11th, 2024, 23:10
Trying not to be pissed off that they're doing this to our older, non-woke, non-trash beloved games. As that's part of the point isn't it, a big fucking troll "ha ha look at us corrupting all your good stuff so EVERYTHING is shit".

Well, fuck you cunts, I still have the old discs, still have the old files. I can happily replay those old games and enjoy em, because they're GOOD.
It's 2024 and since Starfield I haven't played a single game made in the last 10 - 15 years.
I still love good video games.. but those aren't getting made anymore.
Last edited by Shillitron on February 11th, 2024, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Shillitron wrote: February 11th, 2024, 23:02

Is he eating avocado toast?

Who else is enjoying {current_year} gaming? When do consooomers stop buying this garbage?
I checked cuckdex today and those niggers are still buying games!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

FF7 looked like it could have actually benefited a ton from a genuine remake. I don't think anyone can look at the original's blobs and blurry backgrounds and think it was 100% perfect. Even if they liked it, that doesn't mean there was no room for improvement. Had they gone the RE Remake route, even keeping the pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera of the overworld segments, that would've been better than this. No one would complain, and they could have made a Final Fantasy VII-2 of some sort with modern gameplay, and that would be it, two games that would have satisfied a lot more people and would have costed a fraction of the time and money to make.

What they're doing here is trying awkwardly to remake the original, while also making it a successor and weird meta-commentary on the idea of remakes itself. Like the new Matrix movie that came out a while back. But who is this for?, what does this do for people who played the original game?, or for new players?. Imagine being completely new to the remake, having never even heard of these characters before or their context, and feeling like you're being told an inside joke you will never know the origin of.
Pay Station

Post by Pay Station »

Probably they feel confident that even though they butchered the original story and split it into three parts, fans will still buy it.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 13th, 2024, 06:02
FF7 looked like it could have actually benefited a ton from a genuine remake. I don't think anyone can look at the original's blobs and blurry backgrounds and think it was 100% perfect. Even if they liked it, that doesn't mean there was no room for improvement. Had they gone the RE Remake route, even keeping the pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera of the overworld segments, that would've been better than this. No one would complain, and they could have made a Final Fantasy VII-2 of some sort with modern gameplay, and that would be it, two games that would have satisfied a lot more people and would have costed a fraction of the time and money to make.

What they're doing here is trying awkwardly to remake the original, while also making it a successor and weird meta-commentary on the idea of remakes itself. Like the new Matrix movie that came out a while back. But who is this for?, what does this do for people who played the original game?, or for new players?. Imagine being completely new to the remake, having never even heard of these characters before or their context, and feeling like you're being told an inside joke you will never know the origin of.
Some pretty good mods for that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/4
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/105
https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?PHPS ... opic=21616

I wouldn't have minded splitting the game up, with extra content, due to the fidelity, but not how it was done. Midgar on it's own means that the first game is full of boring filler, besides the story additions. Of course if it was top-down, & chibi-style for the most of it, with an overworld, it wouldn't have taken so many manhours to produce the Midgar environment, but the cinematics could still be included. Doesn't even need to use pre-rendered backgrounds to become more manageable.

You're absolutely right about the story changes, it's so bizarre. That's Nomura for you.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 14th, 2024, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 13th, 2024, 06:02
I don't think anyone can look at the original's blobs and blurry backgrounds
If you don't have a TV CRT, emulating the original using shaders is the way to go. With the right settings, the backgrounds look great again.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

The game's story has been leaked and Squenix is going full scorched earth on every site publishing them.

Reddit bans all game leaks from now on, all games:

Gamefaqs went read-only mode for a while too because of this. Can't upload certain images/gifs to 4chan because of copyright infringement too.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Wow, I didn't know it worked like that. I guess next time someone spoils a story for me, I'll get them sued for copyright infringement as revenge.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

I hate time travel, multiverse shit, so I couldn't care less about the spoilers they're concerned about. I think the degree of severity here may be a sign of a lack of faith in their own work.
Pay Station

Post by Pay Station »

So they changed the story in the remake but ended up with the same result as the original? Now we have the same story with even worse trash thrown in?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I actually liked the time jannies but afaik they do away with them at the end of the first game.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Haven't read them but I'll spoil it anyway

Time travel bullshit, Aerith lives, Alternate Zack shows up, Sephiroth sacrifices himself in a heroic moment of redemption, Cid doesn't beat his wife, Red XIII and Aerith have a litter together
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 02:08
I actually liked the time jannies but afaik they do away with them at the end of the first game.
Time Travel Sephiroth is still part of the story, and Aerith knows the plot of the OG game too, or that's what seemed to be hinted at.
Pay Station wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 02:07
So they changed the story in the remake but ended up with the same result as the original? Now we have the same story with even worse trash thrown in?
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 22nd, 2024, 02:31, edited 3 times in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Hmm, CAN they actually "Copyright" leaks?
I can understand ACTUAL game assets & code etc, but just screenshots or discussions / text, wtf? Am I just being a law noob here or is that complete bullshit. Especially once it's published in one place, isn't it then public domain to "report on"?
Last edited by BobT on February 22nd, 2024, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Station

Post by Pay Station »

BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:23
I can understand ACTUAL game assets & code etc, but just screenshots or discussions / text, wtf? Am I just being a lore noob here or is that complete bullshit. Especially once it's published in one place, isn't it then public domain to "report on"?
Correct me if I'm wrong. They own the gameplay people record and the images people share on social media. They allow people to share images and make videos about their games because it's free marketing. But the moment people do something that might hurt their business (like leaks), they still have the right to take it down. Regarding text and discussions, technically they cannot take them down, but the owners/moderators of the platforms are dick suckers, so they will remove everything Square tells them to.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Pay Station wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:50
I can understand ACTUAL game assets & code etc, but just screenshots or discussions / text, wtf? Am I just being a lore noob here or is that complete bullshit. Especially once it's published in one place, isn't it then public domain to "report on"?
Correct me if I'm wrong. They own the gameplay people record and the images people share on social media. They allow people to share images and make videos about their games because it's free marketing. But the moment people do something that might hurt their business (like leaks), they still have the right to take it down. Regarding text and discussions, technically they cannot take them down, but the owners/moderators of the platforms are dick suckers, so they will remove everything Square tells them to.
I'm not disagreeing but I really don't get how they "own the gameplay recordings and images" either. I always thought it would be transformative work if it included commentary etc. and it was their own taken pictures & recordings. I get it where it's just redistributing leaked official promo material and assets (inc company created images), though.
Last edited by BobT on February 22nd, 2024, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Station

Post by Pay Station »

I just read spoiler topics on Gamefaqs and the story is not looking good. :groan:
BobT

Post by BobT »

Pay Station wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 14:41
I just read spoiler topics on Gamefaqs and the story is not looking good. :groan:
Got a link?
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 04:42
Pay Station wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:50
I'm not disagreeing but I really don't get how they "own the gameplay recordings and images" either. I always thought it would be transformative work if it included commentary etc. and it was their own taken pictures & recordings. I get it where it's just redistributing leaked official promo material and assets (inc company created images), though.
If you are talking about the DCMA, the process is basically to take things down when there is a complaint and if the person who had the video taken down protests it goes back up. It usually doesn't because the next step is for the copyright claimant to file a lawsuit for damages. Usually the legal costs of defending that are higher than someone would want to pay. Even if 2 years later they would get them back if they win.

(The platform holder does not arbitrate fair use.)
Last edited by J1M on February 22nd, 2024, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 24th, 2024, 15:16

I take this as a declaration of war from Japan btw.
Who could have expected this from a Sweet Baby client?
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 24th, 2024, 17:48

Who could have expected this from a Sweet Baby client?
The choice to become their client in the first place is bad enough.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Thank fuck I don't buy episodic games and waited until the entire game is out.

That screenshot alone is fucking awful.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

What's the point of having all this cast of animu looking characters just to insert the most realistically ugly negros one can think of? I mean yes I dislike niggers too but even on an artistic level, this clash of styles makes no sense.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:19
What's the point of having all this cast of animu looking characters just to insert the most realistically ugly negros one can think of? I mean yes I dislike niggers too but even on an artistic level, this clash of styles makes no sense.
If you changed Barret's skin colour, it could conceivably look like a white guy doing a cosplay & impression of Mr T (even though it's a Black VA... Actually, that reminds me, Malenia, from ER, also has a Black VA).
I wouldn't be surprised if there were complaints that they don't look Bantu enough because of the anime style.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 24th, 2024, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:37
I wouldn't be surprised if there were complaints that they don't look Bantu enough because of the anime style.
It's a usual critique coming from the SJW camp, that blacks in anime look like whites with brown paint. Seems like the only way they can be satisfied is if black characters look like this: