We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Chink RPG thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Chink RPG thread

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Obligatory @Lhynn

Seems like there's (maybe) a few good indie RPGs coming out of chinkland now.

Is this any good?

And sseth reviewed another one, I played it for a bit and it was pretty fun but it's more like a simulator similar to Kenshi. If you like Kenshi, I'd recommend it.

Some of them are turbo autist crazy in-depth games, the kind of games we'd probably get if autists weren't being turned into troons.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 8th, 2024, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yes, Wandering Sword is good and has a major (free) expansion in March.

There's all those cultivation games that seem to be popular, but I just can't understand them.

Anazing Cultivation Simulator
Sands of Salazar
Tales of Immortal

This game is actually pretty good too
Last edited by Acrux on February 8th, 2024, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Wandering Sword seems inspired by Project Triangle or Octopath Traveller, so I wasn't sure it would be worth it.

I wanted to try Matchless Kungfu though, even if it does look a little janky.

This little game had an interesting approach with combat (I know it's not really chink), as well as some funny moments.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 8th, 2024, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

I'm just waiting for the localization to get better with Matchless, as the translations are pretty rough right now. Otherwise, the game looks great to me as a Kenshi fan.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I don't have a problem with chink games except they are always badly translated and never have a dub. I can't stand the sound of Mandarin. Here's one I've been wanting to buy for a while, but I hear the translation sucks.

ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 15:43
I'm just waiting for the localization to get better with Matchless, as the translations are pretty rough right now. Otherwise, the game looks great to me as a Kenshi fan.
I really enjoy Kenshi but those cannibals being 100% talcum white when everyone else is a mixture was amusing. Like if it was anything but White people, there would be outrage. Wouldn't want it to be an accurate representation of Liberia. I did see a mod that changed that on some obscure modding community page that I forgot, probably doesn't exist now.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

GhostCow wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:07
I don't have a problem with chink games except they are always badly translated and never have a dub. I can't stand the sound of Mandarin. Here's one I've been wanting to buy for a while, but I hear the translation sucks.

Honestly, if they'd pay I'd probably try my hand at localizing them better, but its hard to get into contact with them a lot of the time, nor do I think many of them care.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:11
I really enjoy Kenshi but those cannibals being 100% talcum white when everyone else is a mixture was amusing. Like if it was anything but White people, there would be outrage. Wouldn't want it to be an accurate representation of Liberia. I did see a mod that changed that on some obscure modding community page that I forgot, probably doesn't exist now.
I'm pretty sure they mostly just use the greendlander spectrum of tones, which is mostly white-skinned, though I've seen tanned ones before.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:12
Honestly, if they'd pay I'd probably try my hand at localizing them better, but its hard to get into contact with them a lot of the time, nor do I think many of them care.
You know Mandarin?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Another one is like to play, but the lack of a dub and the fact that turning on ray tracing forces on dlss kills it for me

Last edited by GhostCow on February 8th, 2024, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

WhiteShark wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:15
Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:12
You know Mandarin?
Sorta, my proficiency is at a child's level but I can read it slightly better. I also have a close friend who's a Chinese modder who could work on it with me, so theoretically, I could handle most of the localizing and have them help me with vocab or grammar stuff I don't know.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 15:37
Wandering Sword seems inspired by Project Triangle or Octopath Traveller, so I wasn't sure it would be worth it.

This little game had an interesting approach with combat (I know it's not really chink), as well as some funny moments.
Wandering sword has similar visuals but doesn't play anything at all like those games.

Yeah, Shigatari is good, but since it's literally a samurai game I didn't mention it. :P
Last edited by Acrux on February 8th, 2024, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:22
Sorta, my proficiency is at a child's level but I can read it slightly better. I also have a close friend who's a Chinese modder who could work on it with me, so theoretically, I could handle most of the localizing and have them help me with vocab or grammar stuff I don't know.
If you think you can do a better job than MTL, I'd say it's worth a shot. I imagine some devs simply don't know where to look. I contacted an indie dev recently about translating his game into Japanese, and while I don't think it will work out due to technical issues, he was happy to receive the offer. It'd be a good opportunity for you to brush up on your Mandarin skills, too.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:14
ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:11
I'm pretty sure they mostly just use the greendlander spectrum of tones, which is mostly white-skinned, though I've seen tanned ones before.

Acrux wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:24
ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 15:37

Wandering sword has similar visuals but doesn't play anything at all like those games.

Yeah, Shigatari is good, but since it's literally a smuari game I didn't mention it. :P
Samurai... chink... all the same innit?
It was the autism & interesting mechanic that was relevant really.

I'll give Wandering Sword a better look.
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 8th, 2024, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

WhiteShark wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:25
If you think you can do a better job than MTL, I'd say it's worth a shot. I imagine some devs simply don't know where to look. I contacted an indie dev recently about translating his game into Japanese, and while I don't think it will work out due to technical issues, he was happy to receive the offer. It'd be a good opportunity for you to brush up on your Mandarin skills, too.
yeah, that's my main motivator. I feel my Chinese is slowly attriting and studying it solo after college hasn't been working well. Maybe I'll try to contact the matchless devs, though I don't think they have any presence on western sites.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:30
WhiteShark wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:25
yeah, that's my main motivator. I feel my Chinese is slowly attriting and studying it solo after college hasn't been working well. Maybe I'll try to contact the matchless devs, though I don't think they have any presence on western sites.

These Koreans just let the English players in early access edit their haphazard translations, with a voting system (If I remember correctly).
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

They let the Japanese do the same and it made me furious because the Japs kept changing good, proper Japanese words into transliterated English loanwords.

Post by 1998 »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:52

These Koreans just let the English players in early access edit their haphazard translations, with a voting system (If I remember correctly).
Doesn't matter, game is awesome. One of the best in recent years. I just wish they would finally fully committing on part 2.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

1998 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:56
ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:52

Doesn't matter, game is awesome. One of the best in recent years. I just wish they would finally fully committing on part 2.
Did I sound disapproving? I didn't mean to be.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:26
Listen, if you're not willing to put in the effort to distinguish between a chink, a jap, or a gook then I'm not sure your heart is really into this racism thing.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Acrux wrote: February 8th, 2024, 17:22
ArcaneLurker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 16:26
Listen, if you're not willing to put in the effort to distinguish between a chink, a jap, or a gook then I'm not sure your heart is really into this racism thing.
Looks like I'll have to go back and redo my Racism course... :scratch:

I don't think Shigatari was made by Nips, so it's relevant to the
"Some of them are turbo autist crazy in-depth games, the kind of games we'd probably get if autists weren't being turned into troons."
part.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Wandering sword is fun @rusty_shackleford
Think old snes final fantasy games, but with movement in combat.

Id say another game with excellent translation is

Good roguelike with a very interesting progression and a whole world of npcs with their own personality and motivations. A lot of scripted events and even some scripted interactions you can trigger. Like the time I seduced a woman that was a whole realm higher than me just by winning a tournament, then her husband, 2 realms higher, came to bully me and end our relationship, with me refusing and getting my shit kicked in. I eventually cut things off with her because he would kill me if I didnt, only for her to never give up on it, and him killing her weeks later.

Ended up going after the fucker half a year later, when I was closer to his power level, killed him. I had no idea but he was the greatest swordsman of the continent, so I robbed him of his title, since I was a swordsman as well.

Theres also

Amazing game, good translation. Lighthearted adventure in which you explore a world full of npcs and big factions, kind of reminds me of fallout 2 in that way. A lot of secrets to uncover and a lot of paths to explore.

Fate seeker is a very good offer with a very rough translation, which is a shame, because it has a ton of hidden content and the clues are very hard to decipher. I enjoyed the story and the characters, but got stuck in a puzzle and kind of gave up on completing it until translations improve.

Very much a hybrid of genres, the bulk of the game is spent in a princess maker type gameplay, where you decide on training and which relationships you cultivate, this will shape your character in unique ways depending on your choices. Getting close to X character or mastering Y skill will give you very unique opportunities, and its simply impossible to see everything in one playthrough.
The second part of it is certain events, which play in real time, in which you get to decide what you will do with your day. For example the birthday of an influential lord, or a tournament for the young generation of martial artists.
The translation is good on the critpath, but outside of it you are going to struggle. Very much enjoyed my time with it.

Quite possibly one of the best rpgs ever made, with one of the roughest translations you can imagine. Its kind of like gothic, but far more ambitious in scope and with turn based combat. The protagonist is actually the same character as tale of wuxia, but he can be whomever you want him to be, as he is written as a blank slate, including the name.

Hopefully AI translation technology improves, because its extremely hard to figure out what to do, even with 2 or 3 guides plus a lot of experience in chinkglish.

Next is

In this game you build your sect and manage your disciples. The strategical layer is fun, theres so much to do, and as your sect grows and your disciples become many you will find yourself pausing the game to try to manage every one of these fuckers personally from time to time. It has a couple tacked on minigames which are alright, first one is vampire survivors, the other two are more unique, and finally the latest minigames that have been added are sect wars, and boss raids, these last two are idle mobile dps tests and little else, but they are a good measuring stick for how strong your sect is.

@GhostCow Sword and fairy, and Paladin games are not very good. They are basically modern final fantasy. Lots of drama, lots of cinematics, very little of substance. I would not recommend.
Last edited by Lhynn on February 8th, 2024, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Mount & Blade + Diablo

Loved to play as an spiritmancer
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Yeah, it's decent. It's a legit RPG that doesn't overstay its welcome. There's no 200hr post game grind for achievement whores. You got stats, multiple weapon types, skill trees, crafting, side quests, exploration, fishing/gathering, can challenge NPCs to duels, etc.

The storyline is pretty typical for these Wuxia style games based on what I understand. A generalization of that type of storyline would be you start out as a weakling who improves their martial arts through trials and adversity to the point where you become a legend.

The combat is on a grid and they give you the option to play turn based, or ATB based. There's plenty of variety in the types of options you have with skills that function as heals/buffs/debuffs, and attacks with a range of grid coverage to suit the situation. Certain weapon types of course have benefits over others depending on the situation.

The game was designed to be played with K&M, controller support was added later.

For those who haven't played a chink RPG, Wandering Sword is as good of a place to start as any.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Wandering Sword has a major (free) expansion releasing on the 13th, and considering that they use CHICOM official time, that means it should be available for all true Westerners later today.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

how can u compare it to kenshi if u cant delimb vagina and have her crawl on all fours.

oh and have bonedogs play fetch with severed vag limbs
Last edited by Red7 on March 13th, 2024, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.