We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Thaumaturge

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

The Thaumaturge

Post by 1998 »

A story-driven RPG by Fool's Theory, Seven and Witcher Woke Edition developer. Releases on the 20th of Feb.

They have just released a "Quest-Release-Trailer"

There are painfully modern parts, like the Twitcher Sense, and likely way too much pretentious writing, but I might try it for the refund window at least.

Tags:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: October 10th, 2023, 01:16
what did you expect
The Thaumaturge is a story-driven RPG with morally ambiguous choices, taking place in the culturally diverse world of early 20th century Warsaw. In this world, Salutors exist: esoteric beings that only Thaumaturges can truly perceive and use for their needs.
The game opens with two tsarist soldiers trying to mug you for your shoes, you punch them to death then find a piece of commie propaganda you can read right behind them
Oct 09 20:02:23 <@Rusty_Shackleford> tried the thaumaturge demo
Oct 09 20:02:28 <@Rusty_Shackleford> it's some weird anti-Tsarist agitprop
Oct 09 20:02:38 <@Rusty_Shackleford> commie minds are stuck in 1880
Oct 09 20:03:15 <@Rusty_Shackleford> "oh cool a guy who talks to demons or something that seems like a cool game"
Oct 09 20:03:21 <@Rusty_Shackleford> no, they have to ruin everything
Oct 09 20:03:56 <@Rusty_Shackleford> slavs try making one(1) video game that isn't a bad political commentary challenge: IMPOSSIBLE
Oct 09 20:08:07 <@Rusty_Shackleford> why don't they just make games that are FUN
Oct 09 20:09:34 <@Rusty_Shackleford> americans: "hehe I will make this entertainment for interactive fun." yurops 50 years later: "hmmm, how can I use this to dehumanize russians?"
Oct 09 23:23:45 <@rusty_mobile> *images show a detective who can talk with demons* "noooo the heckin tsar was..... Le bad!!!!!!"
Oct 09 23:28:44 <@rusty_mobile> The game opens up with evil Russians demanding your boots
Oct 09 23:28:59 <@rusty_mobile> Russian soldiers
Oct 09 23:29:08 <@rusty_mobile> so you punch them out
Oct 09 23:30:24 <@rusty_mobile> Then you find some commie propaganda right behind them you can read
Oct 09 23:30:49 <@rusty_mobile> ahhh yes fellow poles cast off our chains!
Oct 09 23:31:04 <@rusty_mobile> Subtle as a baseball bat to the face
Oct 09 23:24:30 <@rusty_mobile> I just wanted to play as a detective who made a pact with the devil wtf
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 17:28
<@Rusty_Shackleford> americans: "hehe I will make this entertainment for interactive fun."
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I was quite annoyed because it seemed like a decent setup for a game that just punches you in the face with stupid political propaganda.

Someone needs to tell devs that it's ok to just use a setting without making a political statement. KCD did it and it's great.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 1st, 2024, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 17:41
Someone needs to tell devs that it's ok to just use a setting without making a political statement. KCD did it and it's great.
KCD was labeled a chud game
Consul

Post by Consul »

Doesn't it make sense though, that the attitude of the Polish population living in XIXth century Warsaw would be anti-Tsarist? The commie propaganda material being spread around is also something that would fit in that type of a setting. The same can be said about Polish nationalist propaganda and if such thing is not present in the game then that would be a proof of bias of the developers. Is every Russian portrayed as evil there, or was the situation with the soldiers only a one time occurence? I haven't played the demo but it seems to me that you are too rash in your judgment of the game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Consul wrote: February 1st, 2024, 17:56
Doesn't it make sense though, that the attitude of the Polish population living in XIXth century Warsaw would be anti-Tsarist?
no because I don't care about stupid slavic politics, I wanted to play a game with an occult detective
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Oct 09 23:28:44 <@rusty_mobile> The game opens up with evil Russians demanding your boots
Oct 09 23:30:24 <@rusty_mobile> Then you find some commie propaganda right behind them you can read
Replace "Russian" with "Nazi" - bam westoid game, except west games have more diversity.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: February 1st, 2024, 18:08
Replace "Russian" with "Nazi" - bam westoid game, except west games have more diversity.
not really, because 99% of those games aren't political commentaries but just use nazis as generic bad guy with no real message being told
Scroll through this and tell me how many mentions of it being some weird slavic anti-russian agitprop vs it being an occult detective game
https://nitter.cz/thaumaturgegame
They mention "Russia"/"Russian" once in the past year, and no mention of 'tsar' at all.

It was a huge bait and switch for me.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 1st, 2024, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.