We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Burning DVDs

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Wretch

Burning DVDs

Post by Wretch »

Does anybody have much experience with burning DVDs? I bought a 100 pack with the intent to burn some music, movies, shows, and hopefully quality older games onto them.

I’m mainly looking for practical advice and any software that can help.

Is it possible for me to just burn my steam games onto a disc? If not, can I pirate the game and burn it on?

Thanks.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Wretch wrote: January 29th, 2024, 14:44
there's really nothing to say, just get a DVD ROM drive and use any of the free disc burning programs, like imgburn for example. There are some quirks in burning flac/audiocd, but other than that it's just "launch program - pick files you want to burn - press start - wait for a few minutes - done".
Is it possible for me to just burn my steam games onto a disc? If not, can I pirate the game and burn it on?
if there's a copy protection, then you won't be able to run your copy of the game. Not every game is portable, so there's also a chance that you won't be able to run it because you didn't back specific registry keys or additional config files stored somewhere outside of game's folder (my documents, appdata, programdata etc).

So if you want a steam-less copy of the game with all the patches and DLCs/expansions preinstalled, then you should download a repack. I don't remember if there are any rules against piracy on this forum, so I'm not going to link any sites where people upload game repacks, but they aren't very not hard to find.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

If it's only got steam DRM, you can use goldberg emulator. All you have to do is copy and replace a single .dll file (steam_api64.dll, etc). You can do this before burning the game to a DVD.

I haven't burned any DVDs in years, but when I did I used IMGburn. There might be better options now, but that one always worked for me. IMG burn can also create an ISO image for a disk game. Suppose I have a ton of PS2 games I wanted to convert to ISO format to run on PCSX2, IMGburn works for that too.
Last edited by somerandomdude on January 29th, 2024, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

From what I've been reading when burning CDs or DVDs slow speeds are usually better as there is less of a chance for errors on the disc. If the extra time is not a problem and you have an option to burn at x4 instead of the max speed of your device take it.

Make sure you store your burned discs in a place they will not be exposed to heat (Like for example direct sunlight) as that can wreck them.
Your disc burning software may have an option to verify the integrity of the data after you've burned it to disc. This will take a bit longer as the contents of the disc will need to be read in full but it is worth the time to make sure there are not any errors in the recording.

If you consistently are finding that burning a disc produces errors try a different brand of disc. I've had a few sets of discs where 4 out of every 10 in the stack were trash. If changing the disc brand doesn't help try another disc burning program and as a last resort a new DVD burner device.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

wndrbr wrote: January 29th, 2024, 15:06
I don't remember if there are any rules against piracy on this forum
Piracy is wrong !
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

wndrbr wrote: January 29th, 2024, 15:06
I don't remember if there are any rules against piracy on this forum,
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

DVDs stands for Digital Video Devils. I think op should switch to stone tablets.
Rand

Post by Rand »

The materials in compact disks degrade quite quickly.
If archiving is your goal, a simple classic magnetic hard drive RAID array in a NAS is best.
It should retain data while unplugged for extended periods, much longer than plastic and foil disks.
Unused (with no data) CD-Rs and CD-RWs have the shortest predicted lifespan (five to 10 years), followed by recorded DVD-RWs (up to 30 years). Recorded CD-RWs and DVD-Rs have a predicted lifetime of 20 to 100 years.
Don't rely on any of these media for lifelong storage of your precious data, as they are likely to fail sooner rather than later. Blu-rays are the most dependable, but they're also the newest, so long-term information isn't available just yet.
Last edited by Rand on January 30th, 2024, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
jcd

Post by jcd »

he's copying and pasting threads from 2007
Rand

Post by Rand »

jcd wrote: February 4th, 2024, 21:38
he's copying and pasting threads from 2007
Not a lot of current information on them.
Kinda like cassette tape computer storage....
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

My friend once left his copy of Recoil over at my place and my dad burned a copy. I was flabbergasted that such a thing was possible and couldn't understand why everyone in the world didn't just share 1 purchased copy of a game.