We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Elder Scrolls

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 06:51
If ToEE had the same attention to detail in its quests/environmental interactions/reactions then it would be just as well remembered as Arcanum
You're coming up with an unproven hypothetical to counter an argument based in reality. Arcanum is more well remembered and loved than ToEE which only helps my argument that setting is very important.
Acrux wrote: January 28th, 2024, 07:01
and yet ToEE still has a dedicated fanbase working on it for decades — something Arcanum never had.
There are plenty of games that you yourself have already declared are bad RPGs that have had a dedicated fanbase working on them for decades. What exactly is this meant to prove? Unless you're being pedantic and thinking I'm literally saying zero people would know/care about it. Also your entire premise is faulty because Arcanum has fan patches that are worked on and updated within the last couple of years.

Tags:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 07:39
You're coming up with an unproven hypothetical to counter an argument based in reality. Arcanum is more well remembered and loved than ToEE which only helps my argument that setting is very important.
oblivion sold better than morrowind
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 07:42
I saw a house today it was blue
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 08:03
morrowind would have sold negative 7 copies and be remembered for nothing if it wasn't just an attempt at "DUDE, DECONSTRUCTION!!!!" of RPGs and fantasy in general. It's subversive schlock.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I want Rusty to make an youtube video essay channel takes like these would go crazy for the algo.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 08:10
morrowind would have sold negative 7 copies and be remembered for nothing if it wasn't just an attempt at "DUDE, DECONSTRUCTION!!!!" of RPGs and fantasy in general. It's subversive schlock.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/General:Michael_Kirkbride
and described himself as a "Gnostic heretic", stating this to reflect in his writing.[74]
Not even surprised in the least, I could smell the stench of heresy on his writing.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:35
and described himself as a "Gnostic heretic", stating this to reflect in his writing.[74]
Not even surprised in the least, I could smell the stench of heresy on his writing.
Damn, it's a shame that Kirkbride wrote and designed most of the quests for Morrowind including main quest too. If the opposite was true you would be completely wrong and this would be a pretty naked example of you having no idea what you're talking about. :king:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:41
Damn, it's a shame that Kirkbride wrote and designed most of the quests for Morrowind including main quest too. If the opposite was true you would be completely wrong and this would be a pretty naked example of you having no idea what you're talking about. :king:
None of the quests are memorable, people just play it for lol dude mushrooms
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:42
Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:41

None of the quests are memorable, people just play it for lol dude mushrooms
Sometimes cars are red and that's pretty cool because I like the color red.
Element

Post by Element »

Vergil wrote: January 27th, 2024, 06:29
Acrux wrote: January 27th, 2024, 06:06
Well, if you like the ramblings of drug addicted coomers he's okay I guess
The degeneracy aside I just don't like how overblown his reputation is. He wrote a few (admittedly pretty good) lore books in Morrowind and a bunch of schizo ramblings outside of the games in the years after. He definitely has a chip on his shoulder too. The "Tiber Septim was one an orc" thing came from a reddit thread where people were speculating on Tiber's race uses sources and inferences from information we had and he of course had to enter the thread and fart out some nonsense about there being 24 Tiber Septims one of which was an orc. Don't know about anyone else but I don't care for "lore" that is just bullshit made up on the spot out of spite.
Iirc he was an artist on Morrowind, so most of his contributions were the aesthetic. That, and Pelinal in Obv. Goodall and Rolston wrote a lot more than Kirkbride.
Element

Post by Element »

Morrowind sold more on the Xbox than it did on PC, with Todd being the one who was adamant that they had to port it to xbox. It set up the sequel for consolization and to reap the benefit of the 360 hype.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Element wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:33

Morrowind sold more on the Xbox than it did on PC, with Todd being the one who was adamant that they had to port it to xbox. It set up the sequel for consolization and to reap the benefit of the 360 hype.
And it only sold copies because smoothbrains see a mushroom and mistake it for good design.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Element wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:12
Vergil wrote: January 27th, 2024, 06:29
Acrux wrote: January 27th, 2024, 06:06

Well, if you like the ramblings of drug addicted coomers he's okay I guess
The degeneracy aside I just don't like how overblown his reputation is. He wrote a few (admittedly pretty good) lore books in Morrowind and a bunch of schizo ramblings outside of the games in the years after. He definitely has a chip on his shoulder too. The "Tiber Septim was one an orc" thing came from a reddit thread where people were speculating on Tiber's race uses sources and inferences from information we had and he of course had to enter the thread and fart out some nonsense about there being 24 Tiber Septims one of which was an orc. Don't know about anyone else but I don't care for "lore" that is just bullshit made up on the spot out of spite.
Iirc he was an artist on Morrowind, so most of his contributions were the aesthetic. That, and Pelinal in Obv. Goodall and Rolston wrote a lot more than Kirkbride.
He's a concept artist first and foremost who also dabbled in writing. There's no doubt he made plenty of meaningful contributions to Morrowind/TES lore as a whole but people act like he's basically Mr. Elder Scroll ignoring the many, many major contributions of others.
Element

Post by Element »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:35
Element wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:33

And it only sold copies because smoothbrains see a mushroom and mistake it for good design.
Not design, but the setting was a tad more interesting than the standard lotr rip off.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's kind of funny how rusty will flip flop within the span of a few hours. First he'll mention Oblivion (traditional fantasy setting for the most part) sold more than Morrowind and then shortly later on will say Morrowind only sold because of it's bizarre and unique setting :lol:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:57
It's kind of funny how rusty will flip flop within the span of a few hours. First he'll mention Oblivion (traditional fantasy setting for the most part) sold more than Morrowind and then shortly later on will say Morrowind only sold because of it's bizarre and unique setting :lol:
I never said Morrowind sold more, I said Morrowind sold at all because mushroom brained consoomers will buy anything non-traditional to rebel against their parents making them go to Sunday school.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Rusty got filtered by morrowind? That’s embarrassing.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:58
I never said Morrowind sold more, I said Morrowind sold at all because mushroom brained consoomers will buy anything non-traditional to rebel against their parents making them go to Sunday school.
But you contradict yourself. How is the only reason Morrowind managed to sell a lot because of its non-traditional setting but Oblivion managed to sell even more with a traditional setting? It's flawed logic that goes against reality and is pure cope. You're just grasping for a reason to say Morrowind bad even if it goes against the last nonsense statement you farted out.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:20
But you contradict yourself. How is the only reason Morrowind managed to sell a lot because of its non-traditional setting but Oblivion managed to sell even more with a traditional setting? It's flawed logic that goes against reality and is pure cope. You're just grasping for a reason to say Morrowind bad even if it goes against the last nonsense statement you farted out.
Oblivion sold more because it's just a good game and didn't rely on a gimmick to sell.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:22
Vergil wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:20

Oblivion sold more because it's just a good game and didn't rely on a gimmick to sell.
Oblivion sold more because it released on more platforms and there was a much larger consumer base. Morrowind is still rightly considered the superior game.

Morrowind isn’t a deconstruction of the genre or a gimmick at all. It follows the same game design many fantasy RPGs based off dice systems do. It just does nearly everything better than it’s competitors. Morrowind’s setting is just colonizing an evil elf culture and accidentally fulfilling one of their native prophecies along the way.

If you want to see a deconstruction of a genre actually looks like you can look at fallout 2. The game has a meta criticism of the chosen one trope along with a game so full of pop culture references and “self aware” criticisms of it’s own genre that you cannot go an hour playing it without running into one.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Wretch wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:33
Oblivion sold more because
It was the better game, simple as.
it released on more platforms
It originally released on 2, same as Morrowind. Morrowind was also rated T-13, Oblivion got the M-17 rating which limited its audience.
If you want to see a deconstruction of a genre actually looks like you can look at fallout 2. The game has a meta criticism of the chosen one trope along with a game so full of pop culture references and “self aware” criticisms of it’s own genre that you cannot go an hour playing it without running into one.
Fallout 2 is what it is because it was one of the most rushed games ever seen to completion.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:38
It originally released on 2, same as Morrowind. Morrowind was also rated T-13, Oblivion got the M-17 rating which limited its audience.
Fallout 2 is what it is because it was one of the most rushed games ever seen to completion.
Fallout 3 sold 20x more than Fallout so by your metrics it is the better game twentyfold.

Fallout 3 also has a more traditional story and moral structure and lacks any non traditional or deconstructive elements so again, by your metrics it is the superior game.

Fallout 3 released during an economic recession which made it far more difficult to sell than the earlier games released during the much more financially healthy 1990s. Another piece of hard evidence that it is the better game.

Wait, Fallout 4 sold double than fallout 3…. :lol:

Anybody can argue for drivel using your bad faith logic. You got filtered by morrowind and all your criticisms boil down to feeling insecure when others enjoy and compliment a game you failed to play.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Friendly reminder that Rusty has never completed a single Elder Scrolls game (including Oblivion) and only likes it because he read online that "you're not the main character!".
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Wretch wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:47
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:38
Fallout 3 sold 20x more than Fallout so by your metrics it is the better game twentyfold.

Fallout 3 also has a more traditional story and moral structure and lacks any non traditional or deconstructive elements so again, by your metrics it is the superior game.

Fallout 3 released during an economic recession which made it far more difficult to sell than the earlier games released during the much more financially healthy 1990s. Another piece of hard evidence that it is the better game.

Wait, Fallout 4 sold double than fallout 3…. :lol:

Anybody can argue for drivel using your bad faith logic. You got filtered by morrowind and all your criticisms boil down to feeling insecure when others enjoy and compliment a game you failed to play.
I consider Fallout to be a demo rather than a real game.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

How in the fuck does this get 4 pages in one day

TES autists are the worst. Shit games that somehow get discussed to death.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 28th, 2024, 13:55
How in the fuck does this get 4 pages in one day

TES autists are the worst. Shit games that somehow get discussed to death.
:twisted:
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

This should be red7's favorite thread.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Not sure if these total conversions from Sureai got mentioned here already. But if you like Gothic style leveling up and the skyrim to morrowind engine you could check out Enderal, Nehrim or even Artkwent. Its pretty well made with lots of unique loot and fast traveling only works via spells or port crystals. (not sure anymore tho if Nehrim ever got english voices tho)

Enderal was the only reason I even spend money on the PC version on Skyrim and that I bought the special edition for less than 10€ since you need the legit version for it to run.

Last edited by Vaako on January 28th, 2024, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

Vaako wrote: January 28th, 2024, 17:24
Not sure if these total conversions from Sureai got mentioned here already. But if you like Gothic style leveling up and the skyrim to morrowind engine you could check out Enderal, Nehrim or even Artkwent. Its pretty well made with lots of unique loot and fast traveling only works via spells or port crystals. (not sure anymore tho if Nehrim ever got english voices tho)

Enderal was the only reason I even spend money on the PC version on Skyrim and that I bought the special edition for less than 10€ since you need the legit version for it to run.

The rhalata quest was pretty awesome, especially if you have decent rhetoric that gives you a glimpse of the abomination that The Father really is. Very memorable showdown. Don't recall ever fighting a nonbinary Mengele larping as Leatherface in any other game before.
Edit: you also don't have to fight him if you don't want to, which is also pretty good. Nice open ended quest design.
Last edited by Element on January 28th, 2024, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.