We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Elder Scrolls

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Envergence wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:51
Vergil wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:29
@Envergence what am I looking at here
Well, there's a daedroth playing the lute, and some other daedra playing drums. Seems pretty clear-cut to me!
► Show Spoiler
Only took 10 years and 2 games but we finally got the holidays DLC Pete Hines promised for Oblivion.

Tags:
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Do people really play this nonsense?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2024, 01:32
Do people really play this nonsense?
Erm so I'm guessing you don't want an invite to my based and redpilled ESO clan where we PVP gangstalk redguards and don't allow women in?
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

It would cost money.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's F2P, which means it costs something far worse than money.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 01:49
isn't ESO a slop though?
It's another one of those MMOs with """horizontal""" progression AKA no progression. Also anything not the hardest content is dead simple, combat sucks.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 31st, 2024, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Yeah the combat is by far the most common complainment I hear about the game and the devs refuse to fix it because the oldfags are used to it already
Last edited by Anon on March 31st, 2024, 02:00, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2024, 01:39
It would cost money.
ESO is pay2win in the worst way. You can directly buy ingame premium currency and trade it for ingame money used to buy basically everything.
Not much different than any other MMO now, I guess. It has completely ruined the genre. Libtard "we totally can't stop druggies therefore hand out heroin to everyone"-tier (they can in fact stop it if they tried, they just want their cut from it)
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 31st, 2024, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Sounds awful, I think the only reason to play would be to tour the landscape.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Vergil wrote: March 31st, 2024, 01:59
There is no good combat in an MMO.
UO and EQ would like to have a word with you.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Btw where did Vergil get this idea that the game is f2p? It triple dips as far as I know actually and has a pretty despicable monetization.
Last edited by Anon on March 31st, 2024, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:00
Btw where did Vergil get this idea that the game is f2p? It triple dips as far as I know actually and has a pretty despicable monetization.
Ah they got rid of the mandatory subscription that's what I was thinking of.
Last edited by Vergil on March 31st, 2024, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

As previously established, I enjoy it, but undoubtedly few others here would. Some builds are more efficient than others, and survivability is dependent on class and companion build. Everything scales, but everything can be soloed apart from group dungeons and group bosses (partly depends on class and build). Though you can for the most part play it as if it was a singleplayer game, it's ultimately still an MMO, and your mileage is going to vary depending on what kind of experience you want the game to give you.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 01:59
Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2024, 01:39
It would cost money.
You can directly buy ingame premium currency and trade it for ingame money used to buy basically everything.
This specifically is not bad because RWT is a prevalent thing in any MMO and it only makes sense that a company decides to cut the middleman. The big issue is having store-exclusive items that can only be purchased from microtransactions though, and ESO has that AFAIK.

OSRS (my benchmark of what a good MMORPG is nowadays) also has a way to buy currency through bonds, but each single item is obtained ingame and there are so many untradeables and bosses are so mechanically challenging and stomp you even if you have BiS gear if you don't understand its mechanics, that buying currency itself is not an actual issue.
Vergil wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:03
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:00
Ah they got rid of the mandatory subscription that's what I was thinking of.
I wouldn't mind playing it though to play something with the RPGHQ bros :D if it was free but it isn't so maybe next time I guess
Last edited by Anon on March 31st, 2024, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:09
This specifically is not bad
It is bad.
because RWT is a prevalent thing in any MMO
Because they allow it, simple as.

Zoomers don't know that EQ & UO servers used to have a server GM that was in charge of oversight of all money flow to prevent RMT.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 31st, 2024, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Isn't this an Egyptian god?
I wouldn't mind playing it though to play something with the RPGHQ bros :D if it was free but it isn't so maybe next time I guess
I have it because I was young and fell for the meme. I've considered giving it another try but haven't found the time/drive to dive into an MMO again.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

TBH I feel for younger players, it's hard to understand what a dev that actually cares about their game is like if you've never experienced it. Check out some of those bigger passion project private servers, your shit will be slapped the moment you try to cheat or RMT. That's what MMOs used to be like.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:10
This specifically is not bad
It is bad.

Zoomers don't know that EQ & UO servers used to have a server GM that was in charge of oversight of all money flow to prevent RMT.
EQ and UO playercount was pretty minimal in comparison, you can't have a GM comb through 200k accounts lol

Plus GMs holds so much power and are so prone to corruption, employing them always degenerate into corruption scandals and are highly unprofessional.
Vergil wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:11
Isn't this an Egyptian god?
I have it because I was young and fell for the meme. I've considered giving it another try but haven't found the time/drive to dive into an MMO again.
Don't you dare slander the best MMORPG in existence :mad:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:14
EQ and UO playercount was pretty minimal in comparison, you can't have a GM comb through 200k accounts lol

Plus GMs holds so much power and are so prone to corruption, employing them always degenerate into corruption scandals and are highly unprofessional.
You could easily train an AI model on normal player trade exchanges reviewed by hand to detect abnormal exchanges.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:14
TBH I feel for younger players, it's hard to understand what a dev that actually cares about their game is like if you've never experienced it. Check out some of those bigger passion project private servers, your shit will be slapped the moment you try to cheat or RMT. That's what MMOs used to be like.
I'm looking into a LOTRO private server that's soon gonna launch (echoes of angmar if you wanna check), I might even make a topic here if I play it and find it enjoyable.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Yep. At any given time in WoW Classic you could /who Blackrock Depths and see shitloads of rogues named Xifrdfe, Uqwksp, and Clsdfjz all using a pickpocket script to constantly cycle through NPCs for gold farming.
If I had GM tools that allowed me to turn invisible, noclip, and teleport to players I could have banned thousands of bots every day easily. But bots pay subscription fees just as well as anyone else.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:15
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:14

You could easily train an AI model on normal player trade exchanges reviewed by hand to detect abnormal exchanges.

That's kind of what they try to do already, but it's not so easy in practice because professional rwters begin understand the patterns and devising ways to circumvent it

Plus well, now that they profit good money from their own rwt there is no feasible reason to seriously combat rwt anymore
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:16
Yep. At any given time in WoW Classic you could /who Blackrock Depths and see shitloads of rogues named Xifrdfe, Uqwksp, and Clsdfjz all using a pickpocket script to constantly cycle through NPCs for gold farming.
If I had GM tools that allowed me to turn invisible, noclip, and teleport to players I could have banned thousands of bots every day easily. But bots pay subscription fees just as well as anyone else.
The explanation given to it is that recreating bots is too easy so you can't truly tackle this problem by manually banning these people

But yeah let's be honest we all know bots are also giving devs money and they'll always leave some of them because of it, especially if they aren't particularly disrupting normal players' experience.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:22
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:16

The explanation given to it is that recreating bots is too easy so you can't truly tackle this problem by manually banning these people

But yeah let's be honest we all know bots are also giving devs money and they'll always leave some of them because of it, especially if they aren't particularly disrupting normal players' experience.
They're like animals and I'd ban them like animals.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

another way to lower RMT is to just ban any IP from asia and all VPN IP ranges
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:31
another way to lower RMT is to just ban any IP from asia and all VPN IP ranges
I know you're mostly joking but from what I've seen RMT problem is pretty widespread. The huge botfarms are mostly run in 1st world countries by some few smart actors, 3rd worlds also run some botfarms but the bulk of it is illiterate brown goldfarmers who play the game manually like a job. The bulk of gold buyers are from 1st world country players as well. I'm pretty sure that restricting most 3rd world countries access would do marvels to any MMO overall but there'd still be rmt
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:47
I know you're mostly joking
Not in the least. I've probably put more time into MMOs than some of you have been alive. I even learned how to speak Chinese by playing Lineage 2.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

(I'm not allowed to play MMOs anymore because I get addicted)