We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

search engines

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
asf
Turtle
Turtle

search engines

Post by asf »

what is a search engine that isn't total shit these days
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

regular searches: google
anything political/might offend jewgle: yandex english version
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

I personally use Yandex https://yandex.com (found about it from here, can't recall who spoke of it, but I think it was rusty) when Google fails me. DuckDuckGo failed me a few times in a few searches, and though I would still recommend it, it still doesn't feel as comprehensive to me.
Another I know of, but don't use as often, is Mojeek https://www.mojeek.com/
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

yandex, brave search, google?
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

yandex is a joke, endless captchas and other garbage

google is completely useless
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

My browser uses DuckDuckGo as a default and it fucking blows.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I don't think there is a good one. I just switch between the various engines mentioned in this thread when one doesn't give me helpful results.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

Brave search. Been using Bing AI a lot recently though it's just a glorified search engine really.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

i tried brave search in the past and it was really bad, did it improve or something
jcd

Post by jcd »

Kagi. It filters poorfags though
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: January 24th, 2024, 21:14
https://web.archive.org/web/20220310002 ... 4761997318
Like so many others I am sickened by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the gigantic humanitarian crisis it continues to create. #StandWithUkraine️

At DuckDuckGo, we've been rolling out search updates that down-rank sites associated with Russian disinformation.

In addition to down-ranking sites associated with disinformation, we also often place news modules and information boxes at the top of DuckDuckGo search results (where they are seen and clicked the most) to highlight quality information for rapidly unfolding topics.

DuckDuckGo's mission is to make simple privacy protection accessible to all. Privacy is a human right and transcends politics, which is why about 100 million people around the world use DuckDuckGo. (We don't have an exact count since we don't track people.)
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

asf wrote: January 24th, 2024, 21:17
i tried brave search in the past and it was really bad, did it improve or something
It's just as bad as all the others.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 21:19
Like so many others I am sickened by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the gigantic humanitarian crisis it continues to create. #StandWithUkraine️

At DuckDuckGo, we've been rolling out search updates that down-rank sites associated with Russian disinformation.

In addition to down-ranking sites associated with disinformation, we also often place news modules and information boxes at the top of DuckDuckGo search results (where they are seen and clicked the most) to highlight quality information for rapidly unfolding topics.

DuckDuckGo's mission is to make simple privacy protection accessible to all. Privacy is a human right and transcends politics, which is why about 100 million people around the world use DuckDuckGo. (We don't have an exact count since we don't track people.)
I'm well aware like I said it's the default I didn't choose this garbage.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

will try this mojeek and report later. probably
jcd

Post by jcd »

Vergil wrote: January 24th, 2024, 21:23
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 21:19

I'm well aware like I said it's the default I didn't choose this garbage.
That doesn't seem to affect most search results though. They rolled these changes back too, you can now find your precious rt.com articles through duck duck go. Their biggest problem is that they're mostly a bing proxy, they don't have their own crawlers.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Brave search has improved quite a bit lately. Yandex was great for reverse image search but it has become a bit shit on that front as of late.

DDG has declined massively (it's now one of the most censored engines). Searx is the most private one by design, but it's hard to configure it to return good results.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

People (and google) are still blaming seo for google being garbage today but it is obviously some shitty excuse. The company simply stopped caring at some point, and has a bunch of pajeets 'maintaining' it. You type something in google, first few pages are copypasta poorly written articles made by some retarded pajeet.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Duckduckgo and Brave are very good for finding completely irrelevant results and then crawling back to Google in shame.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I suggest to ask @Roguey. Not about the search engine, just ask him the questions you would have searched for, there's a good chance he can answer or has a link at hand.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

@Roguey why is @Ratcatcher so gay?
Last edited by asf on January 24th, 2024, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Only for you. Sometimes the homosexuality lies in the eye of the beholder.

Have you bought Dominions yet?
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

I like Kagi.
Lutte
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lutte »

asf wrote: January 24th, 2024, 21:34
People (and google) are still blaming seo for google being garbage today but it is obviously some shitty excuse. The company simply stopped caring at some point, and has a bunch of pajeets 'maintaining' it. You type something in google, first few pages are copypasta poorly written articles made by some retarded pajeet.
These days, most top results look like AI generated garbage rather than pajeet written.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

Lutte wrote: March 21st, 2023, 02:38
https://wiby.me/

Finally something that can cure the internet for good. Look at this wonder. No ad-riddled, jabba the script overloaded crap. Just plain old internet websites and forums.

Geez, the codex is on page 1 of a search as generic as just the term 'rpg'. Not bad. Could do better though: I submitted the HQ to the index.

I wish I had known about this sooner. Let's submit more content to this wonderland.
Wiby wrote:
In the early days of the web, pages were made primarily by hobbyists, academics, and computer savvy people about subjects they were personally interested in. Later on, the web became saturated with commercial pages that overcrowded everything else. All the personalized websites are hidden among a pile of commercial pages. Google isn't great at finding them, its focus is on finding answers to technical questions, and it works well; but finding things you didn't know you wanted to know, which was the real joy of web surfing, no longer happens. In addition, many pages today are created using bloated scripts that add slick cosmetic features in order to mask the lack of content available on them. Those pages contribute to the blandness of today's web.

The Wiby search engine is building a web of pages as it was in the earlier days of the internet. In addition, Wiby helps vintage computers to continue browsing the web, as pages indexed are more suitable for their performance.
This one can be fun to search around and in its favor RPGHQ has been indexed.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the .me and .org versions if any. They both seem to be owned by the same person.
ImageWiby.me
ImageWiby.org
Last edited by SpellSword on February 14th, 2024, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 14th, 2024, 17:26
what do you like about it?
He likes how it populates results with forty links to the same website.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

SpellSword wrote: February 14th, 2024, 20:06
Lutte wrote: March 21st, 2023, 02:38
https://wiby.me/

Finally something that can cure the internet for good. Look at this wonder. No ad-riddled, jabba the script overloaded crap. Just plain old internet websites and forums.

Geez, the codex is on page 1 of a search as generic as just the term 'rpg'. Not bad. Could do better though: I submitted the HQ to the index.

I wish I had known about this sooner. Let's submit more content to this wonderland.
Wiby wrote:
In the early days of the web, pages were made primarily by hobbyists, academics, and computer savvy people about subjects they were personally interested in. Later on, the web became saturated with commercial pages that overcrowded everything else. All the personalized websites are hidden among a pile of commercial pages. Google isn't great at finding them, its focus is on finding answers to technical questions, and it works well; but finding things you didn't know you wanted to know, which was the real joy of web surfing, no longer happens. In addition, many pages today are created using bloated scripts that add slick cosmetic features in order to mask the lack of content available on them. Those pages contribute to the blandness of today's web.

The Wiby search engine is building a web of pages as it was in the earlier days of the internet. In addition, Wiby helps vintage computers to continue browsing the web, as pages indexed are more suitable for their performance.
This one can be fun to search around and in its favor RPGHQ has been indexed.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the .me and .org versions if any. They both seem to be owned by the same person.
ImageWiby.me
ImageWiby.org
This was too nostalgic. I had to stop clicking on surprise me.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 14th, 2024, 17:26
what do you like about it?
I like the results I get, and it's nice not having Google splatter results with "sponsored" links and other advertising garbage.