We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

True Detective S04

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

True Detective S04

Post by J1M »

S04 does the same things as S01 did to set up in the first episode and serves as a stark example of how much society and entertainment have changed in just one decade.

The first scene is about making a man look weak.
The sex scene is about making a man look weak.
The discovery of a body part at the crime scene is about making a man look weak.
The discussion about a drunk woman in a jail cell is about making a man look weak.

So there's a theme.

They also skipped the step where they pretend to be investigating the recent murder before reopening the cold case they are haunted by about a woman.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

I thought about watching the first season because I've heard of some lovecraftian horror intermingled with it but is each season a continuation from past one or does every season after does it own thing?
Rand

Post by Rand »

This scene is the main reason why any hetero male should watch Series 1 of True Detective.
IMO, there's nothing else worthwhile in it, although Hillbilly McAlright, Alright, Alright has a few good cynical lines.
Last edited by Rand on January 21st, 2024, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: January 21st, 2024, 17:31
I thought about watching the first season because I've heard of some lovecraftian horror intermingled with it but is each season a continuation from past one or does every season after does it own thing?
Each is separate and there's no Lovecraftian horror, just demented idiots doing literally retarded wannabe secret cult bullshit. Unless I missed something super subtle. So subtle it basically wasn't in the show.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Reminder that the season 1 case was cracked because the killer got paint on his ears(????)
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

The seasons are not connected. First one is the best by a mile.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

First one was really good and I am not even a fan of crime stuff. Second was a step down but still watcheable. I didnt even bother with season3 when that came out and I saw the main cast and I have also never seen anyone saying its good. Its probably similar to season 4 of Fargo, which also not many enjoyed even tho the first 3 seasons of Fargo were really good, first one the best tho.
Last edited by Vaako on January 21st, 2024, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Episode 2. All of the characters on this show are ugly. Inside and out.

The small town setting is the bright spot. The constraints are interesting and the solutions/scenarios/absurdity of making-do are a welcome break from the tangled mess of social relationships.
Last edited by J1M on January 22nd, 2024, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Rand wrote: January 21st, 2024, 17:42
Each is separate and there's no Lovecraftian horror, just demented idiots doing literally retarded wannabe secret cult bullshit. Unless I missed something super subtle. So subtle it basically wasn't in the show.
its not lovecraftian, it's one repeated reference to a city in robert chamber's king in yellow stories that ultimately doesn't go anywhere.
Last edited by Emphyrio on January 22nd, 2024, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Emphyrio wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 18:08
Rand wrote: January 21st, 2024, 17:42
its not lovecraftian, it's one repeated reference to a city in robert chamber's king in yellow stories that ultimately doesn't go anywhere.
There is some weird mystical stuff going on but the show sorta makes it seem like it could be real or not real. Still would say its lightly Lovecraftian.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

S2 and S3 are not worth watching and they have virtually zero connection, idk about S4 yet. I would definitely watch season 1 well, Matt Mcs character is pretty interesting and has a genuinely pleasant arc. The show also really nails the modern American interior/ Southern gothic atmosphere as well, which few shows manage. The culty stuff is interesting and alludes to The King in Yellow a lot, but beyond that, it is more about corruption than anything (also refreshing as it specifically touches on pedophilia and blackmail amongst US elites.) Also the opening is one of the best openings of all time and really gives you a feeling for the show. One of the better shows I've seen, 8-9/10.
Last edited by Nammu Archag on February 21st, 2024, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

I wonder why this thing has so many bad user reviews...

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 31st, 2024, 16:27
I wonder why this thing has so many bad user reviews...

ytpipo ain't wash their chicken
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

After 4 episodes it appears the main goal of this thing is to try and make being a violent slut look cool.

The only progress on the case seems to happen off screen because the chief is trying to destroy her son's marriage by making him work 24 hours a day.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It's incredible how long this brand has managed to last off of the back of one (1) season that was mostly good.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Let's welcome Nic Pizzolatto to the ranks of RPGHQ

J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Clearly marked spoiler:
The killer was a cabal of cleaning ladies. And a ghost.
Last edited by J1M on February 20th, 2024, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Jodie Foster is a nasty poo poo dyke and molested Kristen Stewart on the set of Panic Room turning her into a dyke too.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

This is the worst TV show I've ever seen. The back-alley eskimo birthing center was really the cherry on top
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

TV was always for dykes.
Element

Post by Element »

How did people manage to sit through the whole thing? Had to switch it off after 20 minutes when the negress started talking about her last deployment. Everything leading up to that was atrocious as well.