We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Minimum requirements for XCOM genre

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Minimum requirements for XCOM genre

Post by J1M »

a) Assume XCOM games are in a distinct genre, whether it is called XCOM or something more generic like 'layered strategy'.

b) What are the minimal elements for a game to be considered part of that genre?
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

I call them tactical rpgs like Jagged Alliance 2, Wasteland, Fallout 1 & 2 and newer games like Mutant Year Zero or Battletech. I'll say essentially they need to be turn based combat with some lite rpg elements.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I think it also needs to be largely unscripted, with maybe a few time locked missions if any.
So you have an open field to build and respond to events, and not one where it's basically on rails with only a few choices on how to proceed to the next events.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Having "move" and "attack" actions rather than Time Units or Action Points.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Tweed wrote: January 17th, 2024, 22:16
NuCom or OG X-COM?
You can provide two answers to make your point via juxtaposition.
Last edited by J1M on January 17th, 2024, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

OG:

Tactical layer is much larger and more complex, you're responsible for building multiple bases across the globe and can customize them how you see fit (though in OG X-COM this always means lift to the side and three hangers on the bottom). You have to balance a monthly budget and try to avoid going into the red as you keep the globe happy with your progress. Everyone from soldiers to scientists take a salary and a lot of times you'll be putting your engineers to work just making things to sell.

Progression is a combination of luck of the draw and skill. Getting in-tact UFOs is a gold mine, sometimes you luck out and stun a sectoid leader early for psionics or something like that. At the start you really are at a disadvantage and you can expect to lose lots of troops and even if you don't you'll be going through every single soldier's file cutting separating the wheat from the chafe so that adds another layer of micromanagement.

For all those headaches the OG system is very open, lot of agency, a lot of things can happen to make the game interest especially if you go iron man.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Currently playing chaos gate daemonhunters, a game which i instinctively describe as xcom2 like.

What makes chaos gate an xcom like?
-you play as a vague commander dude for some organization or strike force, responsible for both tactical and strategic decisions such as what shiny gun to research and where to send your mooks.
-open campaign with interaction between the various layers that feed into each other
-tb combat, i know of only 1 exception to this rule and whilst i liked said game whose name i’m now forgetting it seemed most saw it as thrash.

What makes chaos gate an xcom2 like rather then og xcom?
-action point system
-1 base
-a levelling system of sorts where you pick abilities as opposed to troops getting better by doing things (or earning medals if you are an xpiratez chad)
-tiny squad sizes which results in a bit of casualisation since you cant lose 10 rookies breaching a ufo and consider that a good result.
-combat is less about tacticool positioning and more using your abilities effectively. Hell in chaos gate you are even punished for camping as the warp timer is ticking every turn to unleash some warp bs

Then you got oddities like troubleshooter abandoned children, an xcom2 like which has bigger squads then most, a focus on preset characters and a linear campaign with no real strategic layer that matters. And yet i still put in the xcom2 like category, go figure.