We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPGHQ stands in solidarity with NexusMods on the topic of offensive content

HQ-related news you should probably read.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oh boy is nexus drama why the site is running like shit for me today? Also what mod is this in regards to?
jcd

Post by jcd »

Make your own mod website. Scrape all the mods off Nexus and put them on S3. Scrape metadata and put it in a database. Make any rules you like. Make it better than Nexus, create tools for automatic mod subscriptions, collections, downloads, deep integration with popular games. It can't be heard to eat their lunch because they have no moat and there's nothing special about that platform at all.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

NEXUS is slowly becoming a meme, and I'm all for it.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

jcd wrote: January 11th, 2024, 21:36
Make your own mod website. Scrape all the mods off Nexus and put them on S3. Scrape metadata and put it in a database. Make any rules you like. Make it better than Nexus, create tools for automatic mod subscriptions, collections, downloads, deep integration with popular games. It can't be heard to eat their lunch because they have no moat and there's nothing special about that platform at all.
That site exists for 15+ years now I think and they have like 20 developers/engineers. And hosting this much content isnt cheap either. Best case is Elon Musk buys that too. :mrgreen:
jcd

Post by jcd »

Vaako wrote: January 11th, 2024, 21:43
That site exists for 15+ years now I think and they have like 20 developers/engineers. And hosting this much content isnt cheap either. Best case is Elon Musk buys that too. :mrgreen:
I bet a lot of that is SREs, not needed at small scale. The website looks pretty simple for 15 years of development. Steam workshop is a lot better, UX-wise. Google has like 300 billion dollars annual income and still in some niches it gets pwned by startups and companies with 10 employees. It's not impossible. Do it and prove that rightoids aren't all bark and no bite.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

jcd wrote: January 11th, 2024, 22:09
I bet a lot of that is SREs, not needed at small scale. The website looks pretty simple for 15 years of development. Steam workshop is a lot better, UX-wise. Google has like 300 billion dollars annual income and still in some niches it gets pwned by startups and companies with 10 employees. It's not impossible. Do it and prove that rightoids aren't all bark and no bite.
Sure but one important thing stands in the way, copyright you cant just rip everything from nexus without consent from the creators of the mods. So you would have to have start from the beginning have modders come to you. And nexus is so widely known they would have to fuck up even more and censor even more things before they lose the primary mod hosting position. Thats why buying it would probably be the best option.
Last edited by Vaako on January 11th, 2024, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Vaako wrote: January 11th, 2024, 22:58

Sure but one important thing stands in the way, copyright you cant just rip everything from nexus without consent from the creators of the mods. So you would have to have start from the beginning have modders come to you. And nexus is so widely known they would have to fuck up even more and censor even more things before they lose the primary mod hosting position. Thats why buying it would probably be the best option.
Can you elaborate on what specifically about copyright would make that illegal?

How do I own any rights to changing the color of master chief's visor? Or an extra line of dialog for Sephiroth?
Last edited by J1M on January 11th, 2024, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Copyright doesn't apply to modded content as they do not own the work that the mod is built upon. For example, if Bethesda wanted to it could change its EULA agreements and sue anyone who continues to publish mods of its game, modders have zero rights whatsoever to the content they publish. Even if it could apply, they wouldn't be able to do jackshit anyways, and even if they could, it could all be circumvented by various methods such as by hosting the website in a truly free country (somewhere where IP doesn't mean shit). So if someone wanted to, they could totally just rip whatever they want from nexus, claim it as their own assuming they had a place to publish it, and it would be completely legal in most cases.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

J1M wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:21

How do I own any rights to changing the color of master chief's visor? Or an extra line of dialog for Sephiroth?
Sure for these types of mods maybe not but if they used self made textures/models or its a third party app like the scriptextender or skyui they have copyright on it.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

A handful of nerdy, white dissidents could totally pump out better alternatives to a big chunk of the slop that tech produces nowadays. They could even make money off of it if they are savvy. Sadly, lolberts are the only ones trying to do stuff like this rn.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:35

Copyright doesn't apply to modded content as they do not own the work that the mod is built upon. For example, if Bethesda wanted to it could change its EULA agreements and sue anyone who continues to publish mods of its game, modders have zero rights whatsoever to the content they publish. Even if it could apply, they wouldn't be able to do jackshit anyways, and even if they could, it could all be circumvented by various methods such as by hosting the website in a truly free country (somewhere where IP doesn't mean shit). So if someone wanted to, they could totally just rip whatever they want from nexus, claim it as their own assuming they had a place to publish it, and it would be completely legal in most cases.
Whats with Skyui and scriptextenders and such mods? Or mods which add armors from other games like say you put dark souls armor into skyrim or baldurs gate3, if the devs decide they dont like that mod hosting side because there are also mods which put swastikas or SS uniforms into the game they could sue you if you host it in a country which falls under the copyright act. So guess if you host it in russia maybe not.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Vaako wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:42

Whats with Skyui and scriptextenders and such mods? Or mods which add armors from other games like say you put dark souls armor into skyrim or baldurs gate3, if the devs decide they dont like that mod hosting side because there are also mods which put swastikas or SS uniforms into the game they could sue you if you host it in a country which falls under the copyright act. So guess if you host it in russia maybe not.
Vaako wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:37

Sure for these types of mods maybe not but if they used self made textures/models or its a third party app like the scriptextender or skyui they have copyright on it.
Those are all derived works, which do not qualify for copyright as they do not hold the IP of the content being modified. Even if it's entirely their own work and assets, if it's on someone else's game or requires said game to run, they do not own it and do not have any rights in relation to it. I could steal script extenders code, make my own mod with it called script-expander, and they wouldn't be able to touch me unless Bethesda themselves got involved. Bethesda and its owners are the only people who have any say, and they don't give a shit. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that Nexus mods and others spread this notion by enforcing fake copyright bullshit, but they can do that because only they own the website and can't actually sue anyone, only delete or ban users.
jcd

Post by jcd »

So guess if you host it in russia maybe not.
Russia has the most stringent internet censorship laws in the world. Anything resembling a swastika is censored by Roskomnadzor.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

modders are absolutely retarded with regards to IP/"ownership" of mods, nexusmods enabling their stupidity has been disastrous
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 11th, 2024, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

jcd wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:50
So guess if you host it in russia maybe not.
Russia has the most stringent internet censorship laws in the world. Anything resembling a swastika is censored by Roskomnadzor.
Yeah not so great then. Maybe argentia or some little isle they also use to not pay taxes and wash money then.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:47

Vaako wrote: January 11th, 2024, 23:37

Those are all derived works, which do not qualify for copyright as they do not hold the IP of the content being modified. Even if it's entirely their own work and assets, if it's on someone else's game or requires said game to run, they do not own it and do not have any rights in relation to it. I could steal script extenders code, make my own mod with it called script-expander, and they wouldn't be able to touch me unless Bethesda themselves got involved. Bethesda and its owners are the only people who have any say, and they don't give a shit. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that Nexus mods and others spread this notion by enforcing fake copyright bullshit, but they can do that because only they own the website and can't actually sue anyone, only delete or ban users.
By that logic when it comes to stuff like scriptextenders, Photoshop couldnt have copyright if you alter an image which has copyright. But other companies could probably sue if you rip stuff from their games and put it in mods from other games.

Ah well that stuff is way too complicated for me anyway.
Last edited by Vaako on January 11th, 2024, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
GotPlatinum

Post by GotPlatinum »

Make a mod that removes pride flags, pronouns, or change a character's race or ethnicity per their updated guidelines back in September 2023? In the site owner's words, you're pure evil, filled with hate, a far right neo-nazi, and deranged; like the same people they deal with saying they want to murder a chosen group.

Last edited by GotPlatinum on February 21st, 2024, 07:10, edited 3 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

That Nexus guy needs to be punched in his fat stupid face. Hard.
He lucks into the top modding site due to the industry being morons, then promptly gets full of his own shit. Sucking up to hate-filled weirdos to boot.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

GotPlatinum wrote: February 21st, 2024, 07:07
you're pure evil, filled with hate, a far right neo-nazi, and deranged
I didn't realize this was a dating site. I'm almost blushing.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Rand wrote: February 21st, 2024, 07:35
That Nexus guy needs to be punched in his fat stupid face. Hard.
He lucks into the top modding site due to the industry being morons, then promptly gets full of his own shit. Sucking up to hate-filled weirdos to boot.
Every member of nexus staff (and like 90% of big mod authors) should be thrown in a pit of starving chimps who also need sex.
BobT

Post by BobT »

It is sad to see how much (like everywhere else) they deviated from a completely reasonable philosophy.

What's also sad is how many actual queers aren't that bothered about mods. All the screeching seems to be from trannies (a given), tumblerinas, and feminised men. As usual.

It also seems that with many such cases, the site admin gets latched onto by a vapid activist cunt girlfriend, then the entire site changes philosophy to match. This even happened to fucking 4chan.
Last edited by BobT on February 21st, 2024, 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Agree with JCD here, buying it seems dumb.

Scrape content and if ur really worried about copyright, then make improved versions of the mod by changing one line of code and re-releasing each mod.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Ranselknulf wrote: February 21st, 2024, 11:46

Agree with JCD here, buying it seems dumb.

Scrape content and if ur really worried about copyright, then make improved versions of the mod by changing one line of code and re-releasing each mod.
Indeed. It's sad to see modders "guarding" their mods and making out people need permission to change them. As if making changes to someone else's work is a bad thing, when that's exactly what they're doing by virtue of making a mod in the first place lol..

There should only be any problems if there's instances of attempting to pass of someone else's work as one's own.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

I'm all for standing against offensive content, such as pedo n fag propaganda, porn, otherkin n other tumblr schizophrenics, zionism. All these ppl go into an unmarked mass grave.
Last edited by madbringer on February 21st, 2024, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 21st, 2024, 15:12
It's not legal to host potential "hate speech" in Britain.
And "hate speech" is defined by their jewish overlords.

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Gregz wrote: February 21st, 2024, 15:34
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
Trannies, niggers and Juden rule us?