We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Advance Wars: with online multiplayer!

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Advance Wars: with online multiplayer!

Post by WhiteShark »

Cover art of Advance Wars 1.

Thread for the discussion of the venerable Advance Wars series, known in Japan simply as the Wars series, having first appeared as Famicom Wars on the NES.
► Very basic overview
More importantly...

Whether you're a fan of the series tired of playing against the braindead AI or a total newcomer who enjoys getting stomped by his friends in games he doesn't understand, Advance Wars By Web (AWBW) is that for which you're looking! AWBW is a combined browser-based adaptation of Advance Wars 1, 2, and Dual Strike. You can play with your friends (me) using COs, units, and terrain from any of those games, make your own maps, and use any of the many community-made maps already available.

For the competitively minded, AWBW features automatic ranked matchmaking and an ELO system. Regular ranked matches allows waiting days between turns, making play possible even when one doesn't have much time, but there is also a live queue with a clock measured in minutes for those who want to play right now. Furthermore, AWBW has several useful tools not available in the original games: a damage calculator, a move planner, and a replay viewer.

Convinced? Great! Make an account, post your username in the thread, find the rest of us on the user list, and add us as friends! See below for the usernames of HQsers on AWBW.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Communications about ongoing games are done in #mphq. You can join by entering '/join #mphq' without the single quotes in your IRC client after connecting to Rizon. @Nemesis has kindly provided an IRC bot (WIP as of this writing) that alerts the channel when it's your turn.

Don't know how Advance Wars works? Download mGBA, a copy of Advance Wars 1, and run through the tutorial. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. (Or you can play the whole game. It's good!)

References for unit, terrain, CO, and other info can be found here:
Charts
Wiki
Interface Tutorials

Extensions, scripts, and tools:
Turn Desktop Notifications (Chrome) (comes a minute or two delayed)
Game Notepad
Music Player
Auto Replay
Power Banners
Pixel Perfector
AWBW Enhancements (Chrome)/AWBW Enhancements (Firefox)
Standalone Replay Viewer

For all those dumb questions new players keep asking me:
► Mechanics FAQ
Want to become the one doing the stomping? Here's some gameplay advice:
► Tips
A different team has made separate a web adaptation of Days of Ruin, which featured somewhat different mechanics from the rest of the series, called Tiny Wars.

Commander Wars is a different standalone Advance Wars clone with support for modding and custom COs.

Wars World seems to be yet another Advance Wars web adaptation, but it's still in development.

Still hesitating for some unfathomable reason? Here are some REAL IRC QUOTES (mostly) from HQsers who were tricked into happily consented to playing with me!
► HQsers having FUN!
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 8th, 2024, 18:38, edited 43 times in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Dual strike was really annoying due to how they ruined the sprites by trying to make it look 3D.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I was noticing that the CO portraits got consecutively worse for the original cast from 1 to 2 to Dual Strike. Definitely prefer AW1 Sami and Sonja over their other versions. For no discernible reason the localization changed the name for nearly every CO, which is driving me nuts. Kanbei was originally Kikuchiyo, and they changed it clearly knowing that Kikuchiyo was a reference to Seven Samurai because Kanbei is the name of a different character from the same movie...
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

If you hate the DS portraits, don't look at the Switch portraits.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@maidenhaver I'm down to play right now if you want, though I'm playing another game concurrently so there may be small delays. Make a game and invite me if you want. Top left Games -> Create -> pick a map from the dropdown on the right and load standard settings.

EDIT: Time for bed, but I'll be on tomorrow.
Last edited by WhiteShark on January 8th, 2024, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@Norfleet Edited the OP to add some gameplay advice.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Accurate representation of how our current game is proceeding
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on January 9th, 2024, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

It's over. I made two critical errors that led me to fail capping @Norfleet's HQ at the very last moment and @Oyster Sauce turned on me at the same time, leading to both our downfalls. Sorry @Kalarion. Good game, everyone.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

The last 4P FFA with fog was pretty fun, but I think FFA probably works better with even more people, so I'm trying to recruit even more people. @GhostCow said he could play in a couple hours. @Val the Moofia Boss are you interested in playing with us? Anybody else is welcome as well.

@Kalarion @Oyster Sauce @Norfleet @maidenhaver

Post if you're interested.

EDIT: A watermelon on this post works too.
Last edited by WhiteShark on January 11th, 2024, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Ok. If I can play on my phone.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

When's the next game?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

maidenhaver wrote: January 12th, 2024, 00:42
When's the next game?
Hopefully I'll have the game up in the next hour or two, but I can't make the lobby until I have a headcount because the number of players on any given map is fixed.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

That's fine. I've got the whole night.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Five people confirmed so far. If we can get to 10 we can play on this map: https://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=146454
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'm Blue Moon. Always.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Wtf nerdfeet?

And whats with banning co's? You banned the only 2 I like.

1 more minute and I'm out.
Last edited by maidenhaver on January 12th, 2024, 02:23, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

>"I've got all night."
>leaves when Norfleet takes too long to hit ready
:scratch:
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Made an account, will check out the tutorial tomorrow.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on January 12th, 2024, 07:42, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

WhiteShark wrote: January 12th, 2024, 03:05
>"I've got all night."
>leaves when Norfleet takes too long to hit ready
:scratch:
I actually do have all night tonight. No maps where Grit and Olaf are banned. The idea some autist thought of banning COs in advance wars like this is serious business is very funny to me.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'd say that game was embarassing.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

maidenhaver wrote: January 12th, 2024, 21:33
It's dangerous to build that many indirect fire units without support. If they don't have units to protect them, they just get run down. I also suggest focusing more on building infantry and capturing early to keep your economy up. We can rematch later if you want. I'd also like to see you play against @Kalarion.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Its also dangerous to specialize indirect fire without fog of war.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

WhiteShark wrote: January 12th, 2024, 21:44
maidenhaver wrote: January 12th, 2024, 21:33
It's dangerous to build that many indirect fire units without support. If they don't have units to protect them, they just get run down. I also suggest focusing more on building infantry and capturing early to keep your economy up. We can rematch later if you want. I'd also like to see you play against @Kalarion.
Let's rematch with fog. Whenever you want.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

The second HQ FFA, this time featuring @Kalarion, @GhostCow, @Norfleet, @Gregz, and me, has concluded with me as the victor. Good game everyone. I know it was a bit rough for the new guys but hopefully you now have a better grasp on the game for next time.

We'll start the next group game sometime tomorrow. I need a headcount, though, so watermelon this post if you want to play. I'm also thinking about doing teams instead of FFA this time, so let me know what you guys think. @Val the Moofia Boss @maidenhaver @Oyster Sauce are you guys in?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I can play if I don't have to actively be paying attention all day