We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Advance Wars: with online multiplayer!

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 17th, 2024, 06:04
I can play if I don't have to actively be paying attention all day
You don't. Wraith made a bot for IRC that pings you when it's your turn, and these big group games last multiple days anyway.
Last edited by WhiteShark on January 17th, 2024, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 17th, 2024, 06:04
I can play if I don't have to actively be paying attention all day
You don't. @Nemesis wrote a bot for us that pings you on your turn. In practice, most full turns took an hour or two. Just check the MP HQ channel every hour or so.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Kalarion wrote: January 17th, 2024, 15:08
most full turns took an hour or two
I'm sure by this you mean round, not turn, because each turn was more like 10-15 minutes tops unless the player was afk.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

WhiteShark wrote: January 17th, 2024, 05:28
The second HQ FFA, this time featuring @Kalarion, @GhostCow, @Norfleet, @Gregz, and me, has concluded with me as the victor. Good game everyone. I know it was a bit rough for the new guys but hopefully you now have a better grasp on the game for next time.

We'll start the next group game sometime tomorrow. I need a headcount, though, so watermelon this post if you want to play. I'm also thinking about doing teams instead of FFA this time, so let me know what you guys think. @Val the Moofia Boss @maidenhaver @Oyster Sauce are you guys in?
What time were you planning to start? I'm free after 6 PM PST
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: January 17th, 2024, 20:41
What time were you planning to start? I'm free after 6 PM PST
Well that's perfect because I just woke up. Lobby is up and invites are out. Join up!
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@Val the Moofia Boss I also recommend getting on IRC and joining #mphq so wraith's bot can ping you.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

FFAHQ Round 3 has concluded, a bit sooner than expected. It turns out there was a capture limit of 36, so, much to my surprise, I won in the middle of my turn while fighting with Norfleet for the remains of GhostCow's base. Good game @Kalarion @Oyster Sauce @Val the Moofia Boss @Norfleet @GhostCow.

Round 4 will feature TEAMS because I want to try them. Feel free to suggest any other settings you'd like: CO tier, map size, capture limit or no capture limit, unit limit, stealths banned or unbanned, etc. I'm available to start as early as Sunday 15:00 PST, but we'll see when works for everyone else. Watermelon for interest.

If anyone, particularly the new players, wants help or advice, let me know. I'd be happy to go over strategy/tactics/openings or to look over the replays to see what went wrong.
Last edited by WhiteShark on January 21st, 2024, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

TeamsHQ Round 1 has concluded with Team A (GhostCow and I) the victor. An interesting match! It was @NotOrange's first game ever, not counting the tutorial in AW1, but nevertheless he put forth a great showing, destroying my poor teammate in short order. I went over the replay with Orange afterward and concluded that his mistakes were largely of the small and tactical variety, so with practice, he should go far. Good game @Kalarion @Val the Moofia Boss @Oyster Sauce @NotOrange @GhostCow.

Because of time zone differences we're going to have two group games running simultaneously going forward, HQ and HQ ALTER. Anybody is welcome to play in either, but ALTER is meant for people who can play during EU hours, mainly for the sake of @madbringer.

Watermelons for interest didn't work last time, so I guess I'll just trawl for players in IRC tomorrow when the US crowd is back online. The ALTER game should also be starting within the next day, but the slots are already full.
jcd

Post by jcd »

Count me in. I'm up for some slower paced PBE games (a couple of turns a day, I guess). My nickname is jcd.
jcd

Post by jcd »

I've played quite a few games and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm not doing particularly well, but I expect I'm going up against people who have been playing this game for years. How come Nintendo hasn't sent the lawyers yet?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

jcd wrote: February 5th, 2024, 23:59
I expect I'm going up against people who have been playing this game for years.
Probably. AWBW has been around since 2004. You can check your opponent's profile and see his rating and match history. There are apparently only ~1600 Global League players worldwide, so most are likely veterans to one degree or another.
jcd wrote: February 5th, 2024, 23:59
How come Nintendo hasn't sent the lawyers yet?
That's a good question. It's not for profit, for one, but I suspect the real reason is that they don't care about the IP very much. Days of Ruin almost didn't get released in Japan, and it when it did, it was years after the US and EU releases, and as a digital reward only. Reboot Camp was done by a western dev and wasn't released in Japan at all.
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 6th, 2024, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Gratz to team Kalarionis/OysterSauce/NotOrange for their victory in the 3v3
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Val beat me to the punch, but yeah, r4 of TeamsHQ concluded with Team KalariOrangeSauce as the victor. Congratulations! :toot:

The American hours HQ game is now called PRIME. We've already started the fifth round of PRIME with the same members, but I accidentally titled it r4 and not r5, which will no doubt confuse me as I archive these. There is also now a third HQ game called STAR, so in total there are PRIME, ALTER, and STAR. More will be added as necessary. @jcd if you're ready to join one of our games let me know and I'll get you in on the next game that works for you.
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 6th, 2024, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
jcd

Post by jcd »

WhiteShark wrote: February 6th, 2024, 05:16
@jcd if you're ready to join one of our games let me know and I'll get you in on the next game that works for you.
Okay, I can play the next one.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I added a game mechanics FAQ to the OP. It's composed of stuff I've been asked frequently and also some more esoteric interactions about which I got curious.
jcd

Post by jcd »

WhiteShark wrote: February 6th, 2024, 17:38
I added a game mechanics FAQ to the OP. It's composed of stuff I've been asked frequently and also some more esoteric interactions about which I got curious.
This is great but I wish a lot of this stuff was available in the game. I need to look up shit on the wiki constantly, and I expect it'll take me a while until I remember everything, and I used to play AW on the GBA a lot. I get it that veterans don't need this stuff, but they could just turn it off. It should also be easier to overlay enemy movement ranges onto the map, considering how crucial it is for strategy.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

jcd wrote: February 6th, 2024, 23:37
It should also be easier to overlay enemy movement ranges onto the map
Are you aware you can click and hold on enemy units to see their movement ranges? Maybe I should add that to the FAQ.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

jcd

Post by jcd »

WhiteShark wrote: February 7th, 2024, 04:24
Are you aware you can click and hold on enemy units to see their movement ranges? Maybe I should add that to the FAQ.
Yep, but I'd like to see the ranges of several units at the same time. Can you do that?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

jcd wrote: February 7th, 2024, 10:40
Yep, but I'd like to see the ranges of several units at the same time. Can you do that?
Not to my knowledge, but that would be helpful. Unfortunately it's closed source, but there's a chance they would add it (eventually) if you suggested it to the devs.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Gratz to team Kalarionis/OysterSauce/NotOrange. The Yankees win again.

That map had a lot of mountains and forests, and hardly any airfields. It takes a long time to move enemies to the frontlines while the defender has the advantage being able to park their units on the defensive tiles. Guess the lesson learned (along with the last game) is that you need to build up a humongous army before launching an offensive like that. Also, someone was using an ability that was often dealing 4 damage to all of our freshly built units sitting on top of factories, which added up. Guess the way to deal with that is to have a cheap infantry unit sitting on top of the factory tile that you don't care if it gets hit (and is cheap to repair), so new expensive units that are produced spawn off of the factory tile and don't get hit by that power.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

In 7-9 days when our armies finally collide I'm going to destroy you NW/SE fuckers