We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dogshit Localizations

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 21:38
is this a localization thing or did they change it in the original too?

https://www.ign.com/articles/persona-3- ... f-dialogue
Persona 3: Reload Removes an Infamously Transphobic Line of Dialogue
The Gamer wrote:
Kotaku confirmed that the scene is the same in Japan, meaning the trans panic joke has been removed from both versions of the game.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Tags:
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 21:38
is this a localization thing or did they change it in the original too?

https://www.ign.com/articles/persona-3- ... f-dialogue
Persona 3: Reload Removes an Infamously Transphobic Line of Dialogue
I believe this is a case where the Japanese team took feedback from Western localizers and made the change themselves before release. Which... I would say isn't technically localization but I'll add it to the OP with an asterisk because it counts in spirit when I stop being lazy.
Sadly it seems this is happening more and more, at least with certain companies.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

So is this for bad localizations or malevolent ones?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 08:11
So is this for bad localizations or malevolent ones?
My general criteria is:
-target language has to be English
-poor translations (phrases misunderstood, typos, doesn't seem like the translator knows Japanese or English
-fanfiction translations (completely making shit up and rewriting things, changing character names for no reason, adding retarded accents for no reason)
-not even bothering to localize or translate (the infamous fire emblem conversation where all dialogue is replaced with ellipses)
-meme/joke insertion (sus, imposter among us, replacing characters just speaking normally)
-political sperging (trump references, white men bad)
-LGBT sperging (inserting pronoun nonsense, intentionally blurring the lines between a character being androgynous and western non-binary shit, censoring anything that makes gays look bad)
-censorship not present in the original (alcohol/drug/religious references removed, outfits censored, anything that could possibly be construed as sexism or examples of differences between the sexes being cut)
-race swapping to diversify games (more niggers = better video game)
-localizers with an agenda or poor track record (boasting about doing the above, obvious libtardism, they're just ugly)
-companies with an agenda or poor track record (usually articles stating that they intend to do the above, failing to improve)

Not every example is going to be equally bad, sometimes localizers have to abide by shitty company policies, some things are exceptionally hard to localize and you can't make everyone happy, shades of grey, blah blah blah. If someone sees screenshots in the OP and decides that the game is still worth playing then I still consider that a successful use of the thread (or I didn't have enough examples and I'm a failure).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 08:39
-poor translations (phrases misunderstood, typos, doesn't seem like the translator knows Japanese or English
Boiling Point/White Gold/Precursors are pure, unadulterated slavjank FPSRPGs with absolutely awful translations.
Still quite good tho, Precursors is however unfinished.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Good to know I skip any new Yakuza games.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 08:41
Oyster Sauce wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 08:39
Boiling Point/White Gold/Precursors are pure, unadulterated slavjank FPSRPGs with absolutely awful translations.
Still quite good tho, Precursors is however unfinished.
Never heard of them. They look like weird Deus Ex meets Far Cry 1 meets Just Cause mashups.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Dishonoraburu

Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 31st, 2024, 14:49
Sega decided to jump the shark and become more SJW (American) friendly with its new releases:

(how rich of them to attribute this to Europe too)

Consequences are already being felt:

And of course, people aren't happy:

>I thought it was about "translating the content accurately", but it was about "modifying the content to comply with the latest poly-collections", which has drawn a lot of criticism, especially from foreign gamers.
>What's more, what's noteworthy is that Sega itself said, "I'm doing a good thing, aren't I? What's noteworthy about this is that SEGA itself seems to be full of confidence, saying, "I'm doing a good thing, right?
>The foreign users are saying, "Pandering to Western values, If you want to play a game that conforms to Western values, play a Western game, we want to play a Japanese game.
>We want to play Japanese games. Japanese manga became very successful because it offered a unique Japanese perspective at a time when American comics were no longer listening to their customers.
>There are a lot of criticisms like that.
off topic but are the Persona games actually worth playing
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

normie conservative outlet ran an article on commie localization/AI translation in video games for some reason
https://thefederalist.com/2024/01/23/ho ... less-woke/
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I normally update without posting, but nobody ever talks about Zettai Zetsumei Toshi/Disaster Report which is particularly egregious.

They actually call this guy "Mayor Goldstein"

They're fun and unique natural disaster survival games, so check them out. My only complaint is that they're too forgiving.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on February 10th, 2024, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

They removed all voice acting because Junpei's va was metood.

No, they just changed his va. It was Vic Mignogna, but somebody said he raped her.
Last edited by maidenhaver on February 11th, 2024, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 4th, 2024, 20:35
Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 31st, 2024, 14:49
Sega decided to jump the shark and become more SJW (American) friendly with its new releases:

(how rich of them to attribute this to Europe too)

Consequences are already being felt:

And of course, people aren't happy:

>I thought it was about "translating the content accurately", but it was about "modifying the content to comply with the latest poly-collections", which has drawn a lot of criticism, especially from foreign gamers.
>What's more, what's noteworthy is that Sega itself said, "I'm doing a good thing, aren't I? What's noteworthy about this is that SEGA itself seems to be full of confidence, saying, "I'm doing a good thing, right?
>The foreign users are saying, "Pandering to Western values, If you want to play a game that conforms to Western values, play a Western game, we want to play a Japanese game.
>We want to play Japanese games. Japanese manga became very successful because it offered a unique Japanese perspective at a time when American comics were no longer listening to their customers.
>There are a lot of criticisms like that.
off topic but are the Persona games actually worth playing
No. Maybe 1, but the rest are trash.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I'd put pretty much every Warriors title after Dynasty Warriors 8 on the list, just because Koei Tecmo stopped providing any English dubs after that game, except for some licensed ones and the next mainline game (which sucks anyway from what I hear). Even Dynasty Warriors 8 cut corners, with there not even being a narrator.

It sucks that there isn't a single indie or AA game made in the West that could be considered a Warriors-like. Someone's gotta do it!.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 16th, 2024, 21:44
I'd put pretty much every Warriors title after Dynasty Warriors 8 on the list, just because Koei Tecmo stopped providing any English dubs after that game
sweet
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_gam ... ontroversy
Controversy

Allison Rapp, a Treehouse employee not directly involved in localization, garnered controversy due to her comments on Twitter.[25][26] Attention on Rapp was heightened as part of the Gamergate controversy by the circulation of an undergraduate essay by Rapp which favored cultural relativism regarding sexualization of minors in Japanese media. The essay argued against the sort of censorship that the Treehouse's critics decried.[26] Some however interpreted the essay as defending the exploitation of children, and readers of the alt-right, neo-Nazi publication The Daily Stormer organized a letter-writing campaign to have her fired.[25][26][27] That initiative was controversial within the Gamergate movement, with some supporters considering it justifiable treatment of an ideological opponent, while others considered the campaign against Rapp to be unethical or not aligned with the movement's goals.[25][26] Rapp was subsequently fired, though Nintendo issued a statement that the reason was that Rapp had held a second job against company policy.[27] She maintains that her controversial online presence was the true cause.[27]
the "second job" that this article doesn't mention for some reason is prostitute
KnightoftheWind

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 16th, 2024, 23:13
I'd put pretty much every Warriors title after Dynasty Warriors 8 on the list, just because Koei Tecmo stopped providing any English dubs after that game
sweet
I guess if it's fine if you're a tranime-loving troon, but normal people prefer it if the characters actually sound like them. Myself included.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 17th, 2024, 00:06
Oyster Sauce wrote: February 16th, 2024, 23:13
sweet
I guess if it's fine if you're a tranime-loving troon, but normal people prefer it if the characters actually sound like them. Myself included.
He saw the video now his eyes are opened. There was also a reaction to that fujo shit in anime and manga. How do you get tranime from Dynasty Warriors?
KnightoftheWind

I mean in the context of being fine with there not being any decent English dubs for the Warriors games. If you're fine with it, I assume you're a sub-only, tranime-loving weaboo. It's the only reasonable conclusion.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 17th, 2024, 00:47
I consume the media, just with different noises!
I don't play chinese games.
KnightoftheWind

It's a Japanese game about China, and you never play these games for their story. You just want to lay waste to hundreds of soldiers, and it'd be nice if the characters who talk every 5 seconds at least had the decency to speak English, and not shout at me in a foreign language. It's all I'm asking for.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 17th, 2024, 06:37
It's a Japanese game about China, and you never play these games for their story. You just want to lay waste to hundreds of soldiers, and it'd be nice if the characters who talk every 5 seconds at least had the decency to speak English, and not shout at me in a foreign language. It's all I'm asking for.
Is it the same war/battles covered in every game? I've only played a bit of DW2.
KnightoftheWind

I believe it is. I checked out gameplay footage of Dynasty Warriors 9 and it seems they retell the story in a different way with each game.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yes, just like Nobunaga's Ambition is the same game. Todd could learn a lot from Dynasty Warriors.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Just got to this scene. He even says "reipu" which made me bust out laughing.
► Show Spoiler
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vladimir Nabokov wrote:
Three grades of evil can be discerned in the queer world of verbal transmigration. The first, and lesser one, comprises obvious errors due to ignorance or misguided knowledge. This is mere human frailty and thus excusable. The next step to Hell is taken by the translator who intentionally skips words or passages that he does not bother to understand or that might seem obscure or obscene to vaguely imagined readers; he accepts the blank look that his dictionary gives him without any qualms; or subjects scholarship to primness: he is as ready to know less than the author as he is to think he knows better. The third, and worst, degree of turpitude is reached when a masterpiece is planished and patted into such a shape, vilely beautified in such a fashion as to conform to the notions and prejudices of a given public. This is a crime, to be punished by the stocks as plagiarists were in the shoebuckle days.