We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dogshit Localizations

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
TriangulumDelta

Post by TriangulumDelta »

I saw someone online say that the Zero Escape series avoided getting butchered because 999 and Virtue's Last Reward came out before Ben Bateman became a SJW. Does anyone know if this is true?

Tags:
AmericanMonarchist

Post by AmericanMonarchist »

Thank you for posting these examples. I very much appreciate the extra mile you went with formatting. It made my time reading it easier.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

TriangulumDelta wrote: January 15th, 2024, 00:24
I saw someone online say that the Zero Escape series avoided getting butchered because 999 and Virtue's Last Reward came out before Ben Bateman became a SJW. Does anyone know if this is true?
From what I've read the changes are pretty minor, such as name translations, a few speech pattern joke localizations, and some pointless room name synonyms. I wouldn't let it stop you from playing the series. If anything, the quality of the later entries should do that.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Fan translation team Hilltop Works announced today that they'll be doing an English patch for the currently untranslated PS2 JRPG, Abarenbou Princess.

Never heard of this game or team, but they've released patches for other weirdo Jap games like Boku no Natsuyasumi 2

Dog of Bay

B.L.U.E. Legend of Water

and Dr. Slump, starring that bitch who showed up in Dragon Ball a few times.

Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The PSP version of Shiren 4 was fan translated a few days ago by SnackShark. It's a part of the Mystery Dungeon series, which until right now I didn't realize had like 30 fucking games and crossovers.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Made games/companies/localizers into clickable anchor links for easier navigation.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Vergil wrote: January 12th, 2024, 22:57
Direct translation of the original jap script:
"Liquid Snake: But an injury father sustained in combat left him sterile. So they created us from his cells… with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method."
Big Boss was shot in the dick?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: January 26th, 2024, 00:48
"Liquid Snake: But an injury father sustained in combat left him sterile. So they created us from his cells… with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method."
Big Boss was shot in the dick?
It's kind of ambiguous in the original script but later games establish he was rendered infertile due to nuclear testing near where he was stationed.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 7th, 2024, 17:32
Here's your beloved Castlevania Symphony of the Night intro bro —translated by Jeremy (((Blaustein))):

Lmao I always thought that "the same could be said of all religions" line was particularly faggy sounding go figure some asshurt kike was behind it.
Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 7th, 2024, 17:32
He's on my list. I know he made a lot of pointless changes in MGS 1 but I want to dig up a bit more dirt.
An example that plagued the MGS community was adding in that Big Boss was cloned while he was in a coma whilst the original dialog says no such thing.
English localization:
"Liquid Snake: But father was wounded in combat and already in a coma when they brought him in. So they created us from his cells… with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method."
The vampire legend gets way too primordial for jews. It almost plucks a string of shame.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

This would stop if weeb consoomers would stop buying their games. Japs rely on foreign audience sales, them unwilling to even have an employee check if the localization is proper means they don't give a shit about you.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 26th, 2024, 01:39
This would stop if weeb consoomers would stop buying their games. Japs rely on foreign audience sales, them unwilling to even have an employee check if the localization is proper means they don't give a shit about you.
Weeb/Video game consumers are the reason that we have localizations that make any sense at all. The original Metal Gear port for NES basically had it's own plot that was just people making shit up because they were bored instead of localizing and it's not an isolated case of this. Things aren't great but they're a lot better than they used to be.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

https://archive.is/Dihl5
From Japan to the world: how to translate a game
Jan 25, 2024
Behind the global success of Japanese video games lies a delicate task: appealing to overseas players whose expectations on issues such as sexism are increasingly influencing the content of major titles.
With the majority of sales for big games now outside Japan, everything from slang words to characters' costumes must be carefully considered for a global audience.
"Thankfully, the industry — and perhaps more importantly consumers — have changed a lot since those days, and we are now able to be more faithful to the cultural and emotional content of Japanese games than ever," the SEGA team says.
Localization is now integral to the design process, with international gamers in mind from the start.
One key example is "how Japanese game developers dress their heroines" as the #MeToo movement changes mindsets, says Franck Genty, senior localization manager at Japanese game giant Bandai Namco.
"We tell them that the cleavage is a bit too exposed, or the skirt is a bit too short," he adds. "Before, they weren't very flexible, but they've become more proactive on such subjects."
No longer acceptable

A better understanding of Japanese culture among players means adaptations can be more subtle — the Yakuza series is now called Like a Dragon, closer to the original Japanese. LGBTQ caricatures and sexist cliches have also been axed.
"Many representations which were normal in Japan in the first Like a Dragon games are no longer acceptable today," says Masayoshi Yokoyama, the series' executive producer. "We ask our teams in the United States and Europe to read the game's script, and they tell us if they see things that wouldn't be acceptable in their country."
Changes often focus on "alcohol, politics or religion," Froget adds, while cultural reference points also differ.
"When there are people dressed in black boots and big leather coats, in Europe that could bring to mind a Nazi uniform," he says.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@Oyster Sauce if you're looking for a game with a bad translation to pick at, check Legend of Dragoon. There's even a fan-patch to retranslate the game.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 27th, 2024, 02:59
@Oyster Sauce if you're looking for a game with a bad translation to pick at, check Legend of Dragoon. There's even a fan-patch to retranslate the game.
I looked into it before and it seems to just clean up the existing English translation instead of retranslating from Japanese.

Sloth_Cult

Post by Sloth_Cult »

orinEsque wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:20
Dead wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:18
orinEsque wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:08
I recall western dub removed gay couple in card captor sakura in 2001. How times have changed.
I didn't know that show had gay characters.
Sakura's brother is gay. But they never really make a big fuss about it.
İ don't really remember her brother being gay tho even tho i watched it through Netflix isn't he had a girlfriend?
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

Sloth_Cult wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:48
Dead wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:18

I didn't know that show had gay characters.
İ don't really remember her brother being gay tho even tho i watched it through Netflix isn't he had a girlfriend?
nope. did you watch the japanese version?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

japs are really, really gay so it's not surprising
Sloth_Cult

Post by Sloth_Cult »

Mondain wrote: January 12th, 2024, 20:43
Primary audience for jap slop is weebs now, not the wide audience it used to be. Weebs demand 1:1 translations.
There's a reason it's called localizing and not translating. Most westerners would have hated direct translations of e.g., final fantasy games. Sort of like how many westerners find Chinese martial arts fantasy to be stupid, culture clash. Western fantasy is rooted in chivalry, not flying around in the air kung fu fighting.

This isn't a response to localizations that are censorship btw.
Well you just proved how Western localization has internalized bigotry against other cultures if i wanted to have a hamburger in that product then i could have Western made product but i don't want to have that i want onigiri as intented in that product because this is what makes that product interesting
Sloth_Cult

Post by Sloth_Cult »

orinEsque wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:59
Sloth_Cult wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:48

nope. did you watch the japanese version?
İ watched japanese dub with the eng sub so i just now remember that i think there was a thing between her brother and that spectacled guy i guess its was so subtle that i don't even remember it :lol:
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Sega decided to jump the shark and become more SJW (American) friendly with its new releases:

(how rich of them to attribute this to Europe too)

Consequences are already being felt:

And of course, people aren't happy:

>I thought it was about "translating the content accurately", but it was about "modifying the content to comply with the latest poly-collections", which has drawn a lot of criticism, especially from foreign gamers.
>What's more, what's noteworthy is that Sega itself said, "I'm doing a good thing, aren't I? What's noteworthy about this is that SEGA itself seems to be full of confidence, saying, "I'm doing a good thing, right?
>The foreign users are saying, "Pandering to Western values, If you want to play a game that conforms to Western values, play a Western game, we want to play a Japanese game.
>We want to play Japanese games. Japanese manga became very successful because it offered a unique Japanese perspective at a time when American comics were no longer listening to their customers.
>There are a lot of criticisms like that.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Weirdo JRPG Linda³ Again has just received a fan translation romhack.

Be advised that the guy responsible for the translation is a faggot. There is an unironic trigger warning list on the GitHub readme, but it at the very least gives no indication that he intentionally censored anything.

There's some really nice artwork for this game

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on January 31st, 2024, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Must be a happy game, if the themes are dead niggers and goat fuckers.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

maidenhaver wrote: January 31st, 2024, 23:08
Must be a happy game, if the themes are dead niggers and goat fuckers.
It is set on the dying planet of Neo Kenya after all.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:05
going to guess this belongs here
hey thanks man
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:11
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:05
going to guess this belongs here
hey thanks man
oh, didn't realize you already posted it, I read threads backwards
:oops:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

is this a localization thing or did they change it in the original too?

https://www.ign.com/articles/persona-3- ... f-dialogue
Persona 3: Reload Removes an Infamously Transphobic Line of Dialogue
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

maybe god made weeb crap untranslatable to try to keep them off the civilized world