We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Do you believe localizers will be replaced with AI

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Goblin_Hammer

Do you believe localizers will be replaced with AI

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Do you think these worthless faggot localizers will get fired or just wishful thinking from 4chan autists?

I think there's a chance but I'm too much of a doomer to think Japanese companies will stop using them.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Imo machine translation is much worse than professional translation but much better than woke translation.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

No. There will still be someone who has to edit the text into the manga panel, and that person can still change the text to their liking.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: January 6th, 2024, 00:23
No. There will still be someone who has to edit the text into the manga panel, and that person can still change the text to their liking.
Yeah, even if there was AI involved in helping it it'll still need at least someone to go over the translations and make sure it's accurate to it's source. It could become useful tool to help speed up the process of translations but I don't think it's going to take over the field anytime soon.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

The technology just isn't as good as people think it is, and you'd still need a localizer to ensure QA regardless. At most, you will have localizers using AI to optimize their work. This will maybe lead to fewer localizers total, but also could give more power and autonomy to those that remain. Not sure why anyone cares, jap media is extremely gay and depraved anyways, and honestly the localizers might be cheaper, I think some even work for free hahaha

Post by 1998 »

WaterMage wrote: January 6th, 2024, 00:20
Imo machine translation is much worse than professional translation but much better than woke translation.
True, but also MT is better than most fan translations. I don't understand why some spend so much time clumsily translating games, maybe they are too proud. Use Google, do a bit of editing, and the final result is likely better than anything they would have done manually...
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 6th, 2024, 00:47
The technology just isn't as good as people think it is
Yet.

That's one thing I like to remind people about when it comes to AI. There's always a "yet" in there.

Localizers might not be replaced now, or next year, but in 5 years? Sooner or later the calculous will begin to favor the AI, as better and cheaper models for translation become available that can do the job faster and more effectively than any human translator ever could.

And yes, the AI won't be able to completely replace humans - you're likely still going to need editors to confirm the translation is not gibberish, but even their numbers will diminish, and that also means that the fight for the remaining positions will be fierce, so only the most competent, or the cheapest, will retain their jobs.

Japanese companies might also decide to work on their translations in-house as AI usage becomes more widespread.

AI on its own is not likely to get rid of woke localizers, but it's going to be a big step towards their removal, and will certainly "democratize" fan translations, or eliminate the necessity for them altogether if someone can combine the capabilities of live OCR and AI to enable translating of games in real time (so long as the games have subtitles).

I'm likely being too optimistic when it comes to the future, but the possibility is there, so I'm at least willing to entertain some small modicum of hope.
jcd

Post by jcd »

gerey wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:26
AI on its own is not likely to get rid of woke localizers, but it's going to be a big step towards their removal, and will certainly "democratize" fan translations, or eliminate the necessity for them altogether if someone can combine the capabilities of live OCR and AI to enable translating of games in real time (so long as the games have subtitles).
You can already feed gpt-4-vision-preview screenshots and it will spit out translated lines.
Lutte
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lutte »

Yet.

That's one thing I like to remind people about when it comes to AI. There's always a "yet" in there.

Localizers might not be replaced now, or next year, but in 5 years? Sooner or later the calculous will begin to favor the AI, as better and cheaper models for translation become available that can do the job faster and more effectively than any human translator ever could.

And yes, the AI won't be able to completely replace humans - you're likely still going to need editors to confirm the translation is not gibberish, but even their numbers will diminish, and that also means that the fight for the remaining positions will be fierce, so only the most competent, or the cheapest, will retain their jobs.

Japanese companies might also decide to work on their translations in-house as AI usage becomes more widespread.

I'm likely being too optimistic when it comes to the future, but the possibility is there, so I'm at least willing to entertain some small modicum of hope.
The only reason why it isn't possible yet is the lack of training in the languages people are most interested in for automated translation. I'm not one of the optimists about AI (I even laugh at the idea of self driving taking off) but LLMs will, without a doubt, become a nuke over the field of translation.

I've played with it a lot when it comes to the two languages I speak, French and English, to see how well it fares when it translates one to the other, and the result is beyond amazing. People who translate French material into English or the other way around are already going to be out of a job. The result, in my opinion, only requires the absolute bare minimum of editing and proof reading and is close to perfect out of the box. It is obvious they've done a lot of training on French data. If I had not learned English, I would be content with reading material translated into French by GPT, that's how well it does in my opinion.
This is for your common everyday speech, the result can admittedly be less satisfying for things like poetry, most of the meaning is conveyed but the structure will feel off. On that side of things you probably will always need a human editor somewhere. I've noticed the inability of the tool to infer rhyming and other structural aspects of poetry.
But, let's be honest, most game writers aren't exactly great poets or writers and the likelihood of anything of value being lost in using automated translation instead of a professional translator is low when it comes to English<->French. Video game writers are not Edgar Allan Poe.

The same can't be said of languages like Japanese. GPT will fail to construct proper sentences at times so you don't even need to be a Japanese speaker to immediately notice something is wrong. It's well known they haven't done much training on asian languages as a whole, so we shall see if in the future after more training is done if the problem in machine translating those languages is inherent to machine translation or solely due to lack of data.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Lutte wrote: January 8th, 2024, 15:12
Yet.

The only reason why it isn't possible yet is the lack of training in the languages people are most interested in for automated translation. I'm not one of the optimists about AI (I even laugh at the idea of self driving taking off) but LLMs will, without a doubt, become a nuke over the field of translation.

I've played with it a lot when it comes to the two languages I speak, French and English, to see how well it fares when it translates one to the other, and the result is beyond amazing. People who translate French material into English or the other way around are already going to be out of a job. The result, in my opinion, only requires the absolute bare minimum of editing and proof reading and is close to perfect out of the box. It is obvious they've done a lot of training on French data. If I had not learned English, I would be content with reading material translated into French by GPT, that's how well it does in my opinion.
This is for your common everyday speech, the result can admittedly be less satisfying for things like poetry, most of the meaning is conveyed but the structure will feel off. On that side of things you probably will always need a human editor somewhere. I've noticed the inability of the tool to infer rhyming and other structural aspects of poetry.
But, let's be honest, most game writers aren't exactly great poets or writers and the likelihood of anything of value being lost in using automated translation instead of a professional translator is low when it comes to English<->French. Video game writers are not Edgar Allan Poe.

The same can't be said of languages like Japanese. GPT will fail to construct proper sentences at times so you don't even need to be a Japanese speaker to immediately notice something is wrong. It's well known they haven't done much training on asian languages as a whole, so we shall see if in the future after more training is done if the problem in machine translating those languages is inherent to machine translation or solely due to lack of data.
I'm sure other languages will catch up soon and shortly after audio translations will follow. Of course once it's in a marketable state they'll tie in whatever cryptocurrency they go with into a nice little chip package for people to implant into their brains. The chips will be synced to a larger "AI" (don't worry guys this one is based!!!1) in what Elon Musk and other technocrats call AI mass symbiosis. For the people who begin to wake up and see what is going on there will be a less overt model that they can keep in their hand to appease them. However, anyone who doesn't play ball with this will be removed from the system entirely. That will very rapidly escalate to being labelled terrorists, cultists, enemies of the state (and new "god"), etc. People think it's important to choose sides politically, economically, or whatever sensational fad blows through them but in truth this is the only external choice that actually matters. Most humans already took part in a mass humiliation ritual where they permanently changed their genetic code and shamed themselves deeply to the point of near inner death. Next up is the true death, no one escapes the choice. Each individual will have to decide if they sell their soul for matter, social status, pleasure, fear or if they choose to stand and deliver. Choose wisely, only one side remains when the dust settles.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Wretch wrote: January 8th, 2024, 15:28

I'm sure other languages will catch up soon and shortly after audio translations will follow. Of course once it's in a marketable state they'll tie in whatever cryptocurrency they go with into a nice little chip package for people to implant into their brains. The chips will be synced to a larger "AI" (don't worry guys this one is based!!!1) in what Elon Musk and other technocrats call AI mass symbiosis. For the people who begin to wake up and see what is going on there will be a less overt model that they can keep in their hand to appease them. However, anyone who doesn't play ball with this will be removed from the system entirely. That will very rapidly escalate to being labelled terrorists, cultists, enemies of the state (and new "god"), etc. People think it's important to choose sides politically, economically, or whatever sensational fad blows through them but in truth this is the only external choice that actually matters. Most humans already took part in a mass humiliation ritual where they permanently changed their genetic code and shamed themselves deeply to the point of near inner death. Next up is the true death, no one escapes the choice. Each individual will have to decide if they sell their soul for matter, social status, pleasure, fear or if they choose to stand and deliver. Choose wisely, only one side remains when the dust settles.
This is a thread about anime localizations
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 8th, 2024, 15:19
anything worth reading was written in english to begin with
English is just French with German grammar
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Atlantico wrote: January 8th, 2024, 21:20
If you can't understand why English being two languages in one is fantastic for writing, I don't know what to say.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

And German sounds. And more Germanic vocab in terms of what people actually speak. I think English actually has more Latin words than French too. Regardless, the "English is just french!" meme is reddit tier
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 8th, 2024, 21:46
If you can't understand why English being two languages in one is fantastic for writing, I don't know what to say.
Eww one of them is G*rman and the other Fr*nch

two wrongs don't make a right
Last edited by Atlantico on January 9th, 2024, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Atlantico wrote: January 9th, 2024, 14:00

Eww one of them is G*rman and the other Fr*nch

two wrongs don't make a right
English is from northern germanic, modern german is rather unintelligible. Closest language is Swedish by far.
source: Efter fyra års studier i svenska kan jag nu prata engelska med svenskar.

Every Swede speaks English perfectly, and nobody there wants to speak Swedish with you if you're a native English speaker.
I'm not even close to proficient in it anymore, my professor would be angry.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

I'll just copy paste what I said in another thread about this topic:
SoLong wrote: December 24th, 2023, 13:07
WhiteShark wrote: December 24th, 2023, 00:48
Look, I hate localizers more than the next guy, but AI translation doesn't produce flawless results. It'll get the message across, but stuff still gets lost or mistranslated. Ideally the choice would not be between localizers who are invariably incompetent/loathing of the source material and machines that often fail to capture the nuance.
You can feed some background info into the AI beforehand. As great as it would be you're not literally supposed to use Google Translate. I'd start with names for characters, places, peoples and everything else. Ideally the author should be involved here.

Then have the computer do his thing and have someone who knows his shit about whatever novel or series this is proof read it. The entire process could be cut down to a couple weeks at the long end of the scale.

As a side benefit you'd have no more troonslators shoving their politics and opinions into the work.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 8th, 2024, 19:34

This is a thread about AI. AI is the very soon to be god of this world. The more people who recognize this early, the better chance they have of not falling for the deception. Not only can they reject the deception but they can plan their lives accordingly and be at peace when these things come to pass knowing that not only are they inevitable but that they will be very short lived.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Wretch wrote: January 12th, 2024, 14:39

This is a thread about AI. AI is the very soon to be god of this world. The more people who recognize this early, the better chance they have of not falling for the deception. Not only can they reject the deception but they can plan their lives accordingly and be at peace when these things come to pass knowing that not only are they inevitable but that they will be very short lived.
There's a decent chance that the "ai" you are thinking of isn't even achievable or possible, at least not anytime soon. Large Language Models, which is what this thread is actually about, aren't actual AI and they are still a long way away from being even close to it. So not only are you just detracting from the topic at hand, but you also don't seem to really understand what it is in the first place. It's just a really weird place to try and speak for god.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 12th, 2024, 18:27

There's a decent chance that the "ai" you are thinking of isn't even achievable or possible, at least not anytime soon. Large Language Models, which is what this thread is actually about, aren't actual AI and they are still a long way away from being even close to it. So not only are you just detracting from the topic at hand, but you also don't seem to really understand what it is in the first place. It's just a really weird place to try and speak for god.
I understand AI a lot better than you think. This may seem a fringe theory to you because it’s your first time encountering it but it is an inevitability. The elites of this world already acknowledge that AI is “out of the bag” and so “advanced and powerful” that if they don’t put AI in charge of their own countries the countries who do will destroy them. This same principle was already put to the test by allowing analytics to determine everything and we can see how well that worked out.

There’s no weird place to speak of God. The current western predicament of satanic pedophiles ruling the world comes from trying to put limits on where God can be. Separating Church from state ensured God would not be present in government as He usually acts through His Church. It didn’t take long for all governments to be filled with zionists and demoniacs.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Wretch wrote: January 12th, 2024, 19:00

I understand AI a lot better than you think. This may seem a fringe theory to you because it’s your first time encountering it but it is an inevitability. The elites of this world already acknowledge that AI is “out of the bag” and so “advanced and powerful” that if they don’t put AI in charge of their own countries the countries who do will destroy them. This same principle was already put to the test by allowing analytics to determine everything and we can see how well that worked out.

There’s no weird place to speak of God. The current western predicament of satanic pedophiles ruling the world comes from trying to put limits on where God can be. Separating Church from state ensured God would not be present in government as He usually acts through His Church. It didn’t take long for all governments to be filled with zionists and demoniacs.
Nobody is going to use an LLM to run a country, at least not to any success. And Satanic pedos? You just mean Jews right? The same people that said church let into the West in the first place due to the adoption of a sect of their desert religion, the people the church let in while slaughtering actual Europeans for worshipping their own faiths and cultures? If you were right on the ai stuff (you aren't), you'd still be delusional in this whole discussion.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 12th, 2024, 19:11

Nobody is going to use an LLM to run a country, at least not to any success. And Satanic pedos? You just mean Jews right? The same people that said church let into the West in the first place due to the adoption of a sect of their desert religion, the people the church let in while slaughtering actual Europeans for worshipping their own faiths and cultures? If you were right on the ai stuff (you aren't), you'd still be delusional in this whole discussion.
Yes zionists are obviously jews and their minions. The jews are the minions of the devil. The reason they hate Christians is because Christ is in them. Christ is the source of all goodness and beauty which is why they dedicate themselves to the persecution and defilement of such things.

I am entirely correct on the ai stuff. Which is why people like you who hate God recoil so heavily when I mention it.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Wretch wrote: January 12th, 2024, 19:19

Yes zionists are obviously jews and their minions. The jews are the minions of the devil. The reason they hate Christians is because Christ is in them. Christ is the source of all goodness and beauty which is why they dedicate themselves to the persecution and defilement of such things.

I am entirely correct on the ai stuff. Which is why people like you who hate God recoil so heavily when I mention it.
I don't hate god, just the Jewish one like whatever governs your homo-loving church. You can sit around and wait for our people to be wiped out, doesn't mean we are awful for not wanting to do the same and become modern Luddites. If you don't take advantage of tech then you will be eaten by those who are.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 12th, 2024, 19:51
Wretch wrote: January 12th, 2024, 19:19

I don't hate god, just the Jewish one like whatever governs your homo-loving church. You can sit around and wait for our people to be wiped out, doesn't mean we are awful for not wanting to do the same and become modern Luddites. If you don't take advantage of tech then you will be eaten by those who are.
You do hate God because Christ is God. The “jewish god” is the devil which is why they blaspheme Christ in the synagogues and their religious books instead of blaspheming zeus or whatever idol you mistakenly worship. If you hate Christ you’re a zionist puppet whether you realize it or not.

The only reason the jews persecute “our people” is because we are Christian. Whites are the only thoroughly Christian race and “whiteness” is Christianity. Patriarchal Godly society, chastity, honor, truth, civility, compassion, and all other things people attribute to whites and our societies come from Christ and our worship of Him. This is why the jews, witches, and subhumans who worship demons hate white people and our culture.

If you want to do anything against the jews or to defend yourself from them you have to pray to God. If you are too prideful to do that then you might as well go back to your troontoons and porn because the demons will eat you alive.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Its either Ai or they will look for translators and not localizers with their own take and have someone proof read it just incase.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: January 6th, 2024, 00:17
Do you think these worthless faggot localizers will get fired or just wishful thinking from 4chan autists?

I think there's a chance but I'm too much of a doomer to think Japanese companies will stop using them.
I think so. I think japanese companies still like new tools, but we'll see.
jcd

Post by jcd »

This gay fake orthodox wannabe lyric suite shtick got fucking old in record time