We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Eschalon series

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Konjad

Eschalon series

Post by Konjad »

Eschalon series is a turn-based role-playing game series with astounding graphics and sound. Unfortunately gameplay is a bit slow, even for an ultima-like game. Doing almost anything in this game is fun but one thing: Walking. And there's a lot of walking. Walking through forests, walking through beaches, walking through deserts... and even more walking. The game has interesting dungeons and towns, filled with many secrets and details, unfortunately other locations are there just to be walked through. That is why I would rate this game as decent: It's a very enjoyable RPG, except for tedious walking through wilderness.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Yeah i remember those, extremely short and underwhelming games. Book 1 was ok for the first game in the series. Book 2 felt rushed and i didnt enjoy it that much. Never played the third one.

As i recall combat was just you and enemies acting simultaneously. Not exactly turn-based i guess.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The Eschalon series sucks.
viata

Post by viata »

I played the first game. It was so boring I don't ever remember if I finished it.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

Good looking isometric 3D , old school feels and certainly a tremendous effort for one lone guy , yet that still doesnt mean it's worth our time, a waste of his time and a waste of ours , as its banal bland and boring with no tactical depth even. You need a lot lot more than that to even reach an ultima 6-7 clone level. Only guys who tried and somewhat suceeded were larian.
viata

Post by viata »

Mortmal wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:08
Only guys who tried and somewhat suceeded were larian.
To reach Ultima 6-7 clone level? Not even close. I'd replay even those Ultima games for SNES before trying Larian's game again.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Took me several tries to get into and I rather enjoyed it aside from the agonizingly slow walking speed.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

It was complete and utter shit.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

The premise was pretty neat idea from what I played first two games, neither of them I finished, but the execution was not great, and they were boring as fuck to play.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

So many jaded hearts here. Eschalon is comfy gaming, for when you don't want big-brained game.