We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

"Is this game any good?" Thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Breathe wrote: February 26th, 2024, 18:09
I didn't give Outward a long enough try when I played it the first time. I'll have to pick it up again and see if my impression changes.
It has its quirks and stagnation, but it does provide a means to apply various "build styles" which is interesting. Corpse run option is a nice addition, enemies don't scale with the player, so you can find yourself getting killed really easy in some areas until you gain better abilities/weapons, or figure out their mechanics, which also reminds me a bit of Gothic 1/2. It has its negatives, but those I think depends on what you are expecting to get from it.

Tags:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

this didn't even feel like a game, it was just "wtf am i even doing here"
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 26th, 2024, 20:51
Is Starfield any good?
I got about as far as the intro walk to the first spaceship and realized this was going to be a pointless game to play. Its massive heavy woke right from the start. As for gameplay, I heard it was horrible. /shrug

Edit: wait, I was slow on the uptake there... you already knew that. *Chuckle*
Last edited by Xenich on February 27th, 2024, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Do any of you play DDO? That also begs the question, do we have a MMO thread somewhere? Didn't see one on my initial glance.

I played it very early during alpha, and off and on through the years. It has changed dramatically from its release, and has gotten a bit "PTW" in some things, but it doesn't feel forced or lacking if you don't buy into it. In most cases, a simple sub and buying the expansions gives you everything you need (though some specific content like some races, or classes may need additional purchase if they are not covered by the sub, which most are). Its one of those games you can keep playing regardless of new content (which they are very consistent on providing) due to its reincarnation system.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Xenich wrote: February 27th, 2024, 16:51
Do any of you play DDO?
I did, and it's very good and underrated. Shit UI tho.
do we have a MMO thread somewhere?
viewforum.php?f=16-online-rpgs

If people are missing entire subforums I'm probably going to restructure them again.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 27th, 2024, 16:55
Do any of you play DDO?

If people are missing entire subforums I'm probably going to restructure them again.
Online RPGs is a weird term + buried sub-forums are where threads go to die
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Do any of you play DDO?

It may just be my general miss. I think your structure is good, I honestly missed what was plain in sight under Board Index.
Last edited by Xenich on February 27th, 2024, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 27th, 2024, 17:00
Do any of you play DDO?

That makes sense, I think my initial glance was looking for "MMO", not "Online RPG".
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I tried this as a demo a couple of years ago and the controls were terrible. Don't know if it's been updated or maybe better with a controller, but combat was especially cumbersome.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 27th, 2024, 17:00
Do any of you play DDO?

To me, the issue is that there is rarely anything to talk about. I play the current big three MMOs: WoW, GW2, and FF14, but they only release an expansion once every 2 years. You get a few content patches every few months, and then there is a year+ long content drought until the next expansion drops, and we are currently in that waiting period for all three games. So no expansions to report on until Summer or Fall. And then you run into the issue where these modern MMOs don't have much longevity. For GW2 and FF14, you tour through the maps, beat the story, and then you're done. WoW has a little more longevity where you do mythic+ or RBGs over and over until you get the rewards you want, and maybe dabble in RP, but again there isn't that much in the MMO experience to be had there. So you're waiting for content drops to report on. I have been posting about them on MMO-C and RPGcodex but RPGhq is really new. Also, there is the issue where I don't want to create a thread for a game and then be the only person posting in the WoW thread and then get told "why not just create a blog?".
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:13
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:09
and then get told "why not just create a blog?".
This is a communal blog tho
I think it's more like an open mic comedy club.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:21
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:13
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: February 29th, 2024, 04:09
and then get told "why not just create a blog?".
This is a communal blog tho
I think it's more like an open mic comedy club.
What's the deal with black people? They're not black, and they're not people! Oh!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Exiled Kingdoms is technically a mobile game, but it is absolutely the best RPG available for phones. The pc version is okay, but still feels like a mobile game.

That dev is now working on Archaelund, which is shaping up nicely. It's inspired by games like Realms of Arkania. (Not HD, sorry @ERYFKRAD ). @Kalarion thread has a lot more detail.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 16:09
Exiled Kingdoms is technically a mobile game, but it is absolutely the best RPG available for phones. The pc version is okay, but still feels like a mobile game.
Guess I'll see if I can get it on my tablet then, thanks.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Has anyone played this series? With the price being so low its more about whether its worth playing time wise than money wise.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 08:33
Any of these any good?

Core Keeper has okay visuals, but it does have bouncing sprites. The gameplay is like top-down Terraria, focus is on gearing up for bosses. It didn't have the arena creation, which I actually preferred. I got into it, though I can't say that it was very good. Felt like it dragged on forever.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

A Chinese opium den wrote: March 8th, 2024, 06:40
Has anyone played this series? With the price being so low its more about whether its worth playing time wise than money wise.
The Dungeon Keeper series are RTS games like Command & Conquer or WarCraft. The hook is that there is a large focus on base building and management with the player also slowly changing the shape of the level as they mine it out for resources or to create strategic tunnel systems. Alongside the more common top down control scheme you can also control one of your minions directly and switch the game to a first person perspective while doing so.

If I remember correctly much like the two other RTS games I mentioned single player is mostly a bot/skirmish match versus a computer controlled opponent with the player's available options slowly increasing as the campaign is completed. The main campaign was reasonably fun for that price and you'll get even more mileage if you have someone to play multiplayer via LAN with.

Also the version of Dungeon Keeper Gold they are selling runs using DOSBox so there shouldn't be much trouble running it with a modern OS.

If you enjoy the Dungeon Keeper style of gameplay and want more I've heard good things about War for the Overworld:
Last edited by SpellSword on March 8th, 2024, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

not a specific game, but any suggestions for what to play with one hand? I burned my right hand when pouring coffee, idk how long it's gonna stay hurting like fuck

more specifically, playing with one hand on keyboard not mouse
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 29th, 2024, 03:03, edited 2 times in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:02
not a specific game, but any suggestions for what to play with one hand? I burned my right hand when pouring coffee, idk how long it's gonna stay hurting like fuck

Ask @Red7

Regarding the burn, hope you got it sorted. Had a massive burn on the back of mine once from oil while cooking. Cooled it with cucumber and clingfilm for the night then went and got it properly burn treated & bandaged the next day. The scar has now gone, probably wouldn't have if I didn't get it treated.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

There's a whole genre of games designed for just this
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

BobT wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:06

Ask @Red7

Regarding the burn, hope you got it sorted. Had a massive burn on the back of mine once from oil while cooking. Cooled it with cucumber and clingfilm for the night then went and got it properly burn treated & bandaged the next day. The scar has now gone, probably wouldn't have if I didn't get it treated.
scars are cool
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:10

Ask @Red7

scars are cool
Not on your hands they ain't, You need that skin stretchy and working.
Also playing with one hand, unironically Snes / Saturn emulated games. Mostly just using the keyboard, WASD, space and one or two other keys.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

BobT wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:14
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:10

Ask @Red7

scars are cool
Not on your hands they ain't, You need that skin stretchy and working.
Also playing with one hand, unironically Snes / Saturn emulated games. Mostly just using the keyboard, WASD, space and one or two other keys.
other hand is almost entirely scar tissue and works fine, got mauled by a shitbull as a kid and ripped the skin off my hand
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

A Chinese opium den wrote: March 8th, 2024, 06:40
Excellent games. Mixture of management, strategy, and building. Attract creatures to your dungeon by building the right rooms, train them, and make sure they get paid on time. Once they're trained up, build towards your enemy and then dump all of your guys on top of their guys for a big fight, cast spells to help your side or hurt the other one. You can also convert the good guys to your side for fun and profit. Most of the original game is pretty easy until late when there's a sudden difficulty spike which catches people off guard, but it still doesn't compare to the expansion disk they released later on. Good stuff if you like the original, but want a challenge. Skip trying to run it in DosBox, use KeeperFX: https://keeperfx.net/
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I recommend using Tab and other keyboard commands to browse RPGHQ.ORG
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: March 29th, 2024, 03:26
I recommend using Tab and other keyboard commands to browse RPGHQ.ORG
I do my browsing use a vim-mode extension, can get by with one hand fine