We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

"Is this game any good?" Thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 21st, 2024, 06:04
What do you do in the game?
You choose a class which has unique weapons and abilities for your dorf and then pick a mission to go on. You may have to kill certain targets or gather designated minerals with your pickaxe, but it's really just an excuse to get you to go fight through hordes of bugs in a cave. Everything is destructible, so you can carve out your own tunnels and stairways. Each class has a unique movement ability, one sets up ziplines for everyone to use, another has a grappling hook which you'll need when it's time to get the fuck out after you achieve your goal and non-stop waves of enemies start coming for you. I'd say it's like Starship Troopers meets Red Faction 1. Haven't played very much of it myself because I don't have friends.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I did the tutorial mission and I'm not feeling it, I might give multiplayer a try.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Isn't this the one where the MC is literally a faggot vampire. Just play your BG3 if you want that.

Anyway, I can't find anything about gameplay, but this says it's very currentyear (2018 edition) https://steamcommunity.com/app/427290/d ... 768224955/
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Breathe wrote: January 24th, 2024, 23:30
Anyone play this? People seem mixed on it.

I personally really loved it. It is a sort of investigation game but with vampires and a bit of combat (which, though I liked it, I heard people really hated it because it felt repetitive). The story was a bit strange towards the end (if you know Farenheit https://www.gog.com/game/fahrenheit_ind ... ews&r=true it is how the game felt to me towards the end, where it climaxes into a "chosen one/prophecy" finale but straying a lot from how the game used to be in the other acts of the game), but the main protagonist is not gay by any means from how I remember him (he has a woman love interest, which I think can be optional). There are different choices throughout the game which change the lives of the residents, and I personally loved going about town playing doctor with the different people, while also linking clues together for the different mysteries. Warning though: I am dense as a brick. So unless it is glaringly obvious, I miss any underhanded woke shit. I would personally recommend it, and I particularly loved how it played with the doctor ("primum non nocere") and his thirst for blood, which you can both indulge in or, like I did, resist at all costs.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 25th, 2024, 00:55

Brown people. Brown people everywhere.

I didn't even realize if there were! I remember the hospital, for example, had no such people to my recollection, the head staff was a white man, and the one I remember being "of color", as those people say it, was a sort of gardener or something that was stealing items from the dead patients. Will have to replay it to see, but truly... if this game is woke I would feel sad indeed, I really liked it when I was playing it :sad:
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on January 25th, 2024, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 21st, 2024, 06:15
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 21st, 2024, 06:04
Oyster Sauce wrote: January 21st, 2024, 05:20

I'll play with you :)
What do you do in the game?
You choose a class which has unique weapons and abilities for your dorf and then pick a mission to go on. You may have to kill certain targets or gather designated minerals with your pickaxe, but it's really just an excuse to get you to go fight through hordes of bugs in a cave. Everything is destructible, so you can carve out your own tunnels and stairways. Each class has a unique movement ability, one sets up ziplines for everyone to use, another has a grappling hook which you'll need when it's time to get the fuck out after you achieve your goal and non-stop waves of enemies start coming for you. I'd say it's like Starship Troopers meets Red Faction 1. Haven't played very much of it myself because I don't have friends.
Red faction 1 was such a good game. You basically sold me on it just mentioning it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I quit a few hours in because of how ridiculously ""diverse"" early 20th century London felt. Extremely brown, extremely homosexual.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

How's this game? Seems fun and I like the atmosphere/infleunces but reviews range from mixed to harsh
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 25th, 2024, 03:11

I quit a few hours in because of how ridiculously ""diverse"" early 20th century London felt. Extremely brown, extremely homosexual.
I truly need to replay this game, though I am scared of what I will find now. Thank you all once again for opening my eyes to the truth of the world that I so often miss!
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Looked like a lame walking sim with a boring protagonist. Also isn't it in l*ndon? Nasty.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 25th, 2024, 03:17
How's this game? Seems fun and I like the atmosphere/infleunces but reviews range from mixed to harsh
Been playing it for around three hours, and I like it.

The mixed reviews likely stem from the fact the game had been stuck in early access Hell for the better part of two years, but the product itself is solid. There are still bugs here and there, but nothing game-breaking that I've encountered. Also, the game can be sometimes cryptic about what you need to do or where you need to go, but since it's inspired by Heretic that's a given - at least the map desing is not as hellish as the inspiration.

In the game you play a priest that has been mysteriously transported from the desert he was exiled in, to a swamp (the first of three areas you'll explore), where strange things are afoot. From then on it's your duty to figure out what is going on and why you have there.

In terms of gameplay, it's Heretic-inspired boomer-shooter, but with a massive emphasis on exploration. There's a shitload of weapons, upgrades and other items you can miss if you're not through. Combat is tough because enemies pack a punch and, at least initially, your options for weapons are limited (so far I have the starting staff, the wrist crossbow and the sword, plus the fire and lighting spell). All enemies are weak to a specific type of weapon or element, so using the appropriate weapon against a specific enemy is encouraged.

In town you can use the gold you accumulated to purchase upgrades for your arsenal, which will either grant them a new passive ability, or an alternative firing mode. The maps are pretty neat, with a lot of "Dark Soul 1" interconnectivity, with many shortcuts that you can unlock.

One controversial choice is that each time you exit the game, it saves automatically, you're transferred back to the town hub, and all enemies respawn, while dying cost you gold (cca. 100 gold) and you respawn at the nearest checkpoint (but enemies do not respawn). The gameplay loop then becomes all about finding better equipment to make combat encounters easier, but also discovering shortcuts that allow you to avoid whole parts of the map you have previously explored. Also, the spells you have can be used to unlock new areas - i.e. fire spell burns down obstacles, lightning spell activates machinery - or you can sometimes combine two spells (lightning to activate machinery, then ice to slow it down so you have time to move past a gate).

It's a very solid game with a great art direction, good map design and rewarding exploration that has been maligned because 3D Realms are incompetent retards that have sabotaged every project they are publishing with their ineptitude.
Last edited by gerey on January 25th, 2024, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

Adolf Hitler wrote:
Graven is a very solid game with a great art direction, good map design and rewarding exploration!
They should put that on the box. What are they afraid of?
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Just looked at Metokur's posts and he mentioned this game is it any good?

Post by 1998 »

I just checked and I dropped it after 3.1h. Usually, I have a pretty high tolerance towards shit games.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Wretch wrote: January 25th, 2024, 20:10
Heroes of might and magic 3 worth playing?

lefuq

Yes. Yes it is. If you ever get to play ONE M&M game before dying, make it be III.

That said, Ubishit holds the license. I discovered it after buying it so I had to refund it (and the guys in the chat made fun of me ofc). It's also sold without expansion. I suggest you just pirate a complete version.
Rand

Post by Rand »

gerey wrote: January 25th, 2024, 13:29
Been playing it for around three hours, and I like it.
Is it done?
I ignored it because when it came out I heard it was only like half the areas (or less) in the game.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Yeah, they finally released version 1.0.
I ignored it because when it came out I heard it was only like half the areas (or less) in the game.
It was actually only the first hub (out of three, IIRC). So 30% of the game for two years with no actual updates. No wonder people were pissed.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

gerey wrote: January 25th, 2024, 20:41
Yeah, they finally released version 1.0.
It was actually only the first hub (out of three, IIRC). So 30% of the game for two years with no actual updates. No wonder people were pissed.
I really hate early access culture. Will give it a try though, thanks.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

One of the best games ever, especially with friends.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Germoid government propaganda to get slavic children addicted, they distributed it for free in gaming magazines.
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 1st, 2024, 09:17
Fun fact:
HoMM popularity is due to a psy-op by the German government to get slavs hooked on German-made cultural products.
"But HoMM isn't German!"
Not so. HoMM games were made by New World Computing in partnership with Infogrames Deutschland GmbH.
Proofs:

They were distributed for free as part of gaming magazines to unsuspecting slavic children as part of a government-funded program to create an eastern europe loyal to the german government through cultural dominance. Similarly, so were the Gothic games and a few other German-made video game series.
If you think this sounds insane, find a slav who was a teenager when these games were released and ask him what his opinions on HoMM and Gothic are.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 25th, 2024, 22:09
Germoid government propaganda to get slavic children addicted, they distributed it for free in gaming magazines.
Fun fact:
HoMM popularity is due to a psy-op by the German government to get slavs hooked on German-made cultural products.
"But HoMM isn't German!"
Not so. HoMM games were made by New World Computing in partnership with Infogrames Deutschland GmbH.
Proofs:

They were distributed for free as part of gaming magazines to unsuspecting slavic children as part of a government-funded program to create an eastern europe loyal to the german government through cultural dominance. Similarly, so were the Gothic games and a few other German-made video game series.
If you think this sounds insane, find a slav who was a teenager when these games were released and ask him what his opinions on HoMM and Gothic are.
This is crazy since so many Russian gamedevs and modders cite these games as their inspiration and I never really knew why
Last edited by Nammu Archag on January 26th, 2024, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 25th, 2024, 22:09
Fun fact:
"But HoMM isn't German!"
Proofs:

What the heck i love germoids now.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

I'm not a slav (but I own a tracksuit) and I can still vouch for it. If you have some siblings or friends, @Wretch, have them come over and play some hotseat on the Warlords map. Image
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Hauberk wrote: January 26th, 2024, 08:42
I'm not a slav (but I own a tracksuit) and I can still vouch for it. If you have some siblings or friends, @Wretch, have them come over and play some hotseat on the Warlords map. Image
Can this game be enjoyed single player or will I need to bring my rig over to Angela Merkel’s place and pledge my allegiance to enjoy it?
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

@Wretch:
I guess you'd have to since the Austrian painter is indisposed. More seriously, it's still fun but as others have already noted; try before you buy is recommended. Nostalgia may play a part here.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Hauberk wrote: January 26th, 2024, 14:56
@Wretch:
I guess you'd have to since the Austrian painter is indisposed. More seriously, it's still fun but as others have already noted; try before you buy is recommended. Nostalgia may play a part here.
Does it have couch/local co op? Seems fun to play with my wife.