We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

"Is this game any good?" Thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

Wretch wrote: January 26th, 2024, 15:38
Does it have couch/local co op?
Hotseat mode is just that, and it's great!

Tags:
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

It is, but your enjoyment of the game wholly depends on whether you like playing a stealth archer. Enemies hit hard, come in groups and your ammo supply is limited, so you always need to carefully plan your approach and aim well, otherwise you're in deep shit.

Art direction is nice, very similar to that of Graven - retro boomer-shooter aesthetic. They managed to get Stephen Russell to voice the protagonist, so that's nice. The maps are all very big, with many places to explore and discover, and there's light cRPG elements, along with the usual resource and item management. Game also borrows from Souls games, in the sense that if you die you respawn with stacking debuffs.

Only irritating thing is the intro, where you get lectured by American's native red niggers about how much better they were than the white man. I so wish you had exterminated them when you had the chance.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

gerey wrote: January 26th, 2024, 23:18
I so wish you had exterminated them when you had the chance.
They pretty much were, most people claiming to be injun are from central america.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Tunguska is good it’s like a post apoc Morrowind.

Cryofall is alright it’s like a cold morrowind.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

If these things are Morrowind, where is the Oblivion?.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: January 26th, 2024, 23:18
Only irritating thing is the intro, where you get lectured by American's native red niggers about how much better they were than the white man.
we need a complete shutdown of polish game developers until we figure out what the hell is going on.

Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

wndrbr wrote: January 29th, 2024, 00:56
we need a complete shutdown of polish game developers until we figure out what the hell is going on.

That's easy in this case, this is the head of publishing of this company https://twitter.com/Mrochi81
Head of Publishing (daddy) @HYPERSTRANGE

#DragRace fan

he/him
Warsaw is no different from any other big city in western Europe. Krakow as well.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I already own this on GOG, never played it, but thoughts on it would be nice. Any mods out there that are good?

Last edited by Breathe on January 31st, 2024, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

It has platforming and you run as fast as in morrowind lvl 1 without steed sign.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

From what I've seen, it would take a complete engine overhaul on par with Daggerfall Unity to make the game even remotely playable. It was a failed endeavour from the start, and shows just how bad Bethesda is at making games. It's a miracle they even got Morrowind out in any playable state, and every game afterward.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 31st, 2024, 13:26
any of you played this?
How weird, it's almost like they wanted to make an MMO but decided to make a self-hosted co-op RPG instead.
@Kalarion try out the demo and let me know what you think. The demo is probably fairly out-dated tho.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I tried Graven.
The first area (town and sewer) is pretty nicely laid out and reasonable enough.
The swamps north of town make no sense.
The blocked off section of town is just a lunatic maze with game design fighting arenas nobody would build or live in.
The library was well done, but I have no idea why there are caves under it and it's so hard to get to from town (it's in a maze or through an inn. No other way.)
Generally the level design was interestingly shaped, but nonsense and made no sense for people to build as a city/village.

I quit playing before the second hub out of boredom. It's not well balanced, IMO.
Good try, but not a great game design.
Last edited by Rand on February 13th, 2024, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Breathe wrote: January 31st, 2024, 16:36
I already own this on GOG, never played it, but thoughts on it would be nice. Any mods out there that are good?

there are no mods, and it's not a typical bethesda rpg.

It's basically a janky Tomb Raider clone with a pretty cool plot and setting. Morrowind later took a lot of things from this game, i.e. dwarven technologies, robots, etc.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Breathe wrote: January 31st, 2024, 16:36

I bet it's Todd's favourite TES.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Has anyone ever heard of this game? At first glance it looks completely generic, but it has no negative reviews despite being in EA for a year. Looking through the posts there seem to be some interesting mechanics as well.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: February 25th, 2024, 02:38
Has anyone ever heard of this game? At first glance it looks completely generic, but it has no negative reviews despite being in EA for a year. Looking through the posts there seem to be some interesting mechanics as well.

Just submitted a DMCA complaint to Valve over its name
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I loathe the bases on the units to make them look like miniatures, but it looks fun otherwise.
BobT

Post by BobT »

WhiteShark wrote: February 25th, 2024, 02:44
I loathe the bases on the units to make them look like miniatures, but it looks fun otherwise.
That puts me off too tbh, even though I love these sorts of games. I know they're going for the tabletop aesthetic but eh, rather they just remove the bases if they're not meant to be literal minatures, even if no proper walking animations.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Cleaning up my wishlist which I use as more of a backlog of yet-to-be-acquired games.

Any feedback on any of these?

Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 12:39
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 31st, 2024, 13:26
any of you played this?
How weird, it's almost like they wanted to make an MMO but decided to make a self-hosted co-op RPG instead.
@Kalarion try out the demo and let me know what you think. The demo is probably fairly out-dated tho.
Interesting...

I will say there is some merit to early mmo design for some people. I have always wanted to see a game similar to early EQ in its mechanics like real time round based with tab targeting, large open world, numerous secrets, and deep dungeons with static and roaming/rare/uncommon spawns and events, and the older style text based user input systems that is more "single player" focused (or maybe no more than starting party size in multiplayer).

I have gotten EQ servers up and running and toyed with trying to create my own custom world (it is certainly easier now days with all of the tools EQEmu has added), but in the end being as I played it so much in the early days, I never can bring myself to want to really put the time in.

I think the biggest thing I desire is the real time round system it had, not sure why... I just always liked it, maybe due to my love of MUDs back then. That and the camping, I know some hate that, but I spent hundreds of hours in dungeons doing such play and I always loved the anticipation of the next spawn being that really rare mob with a chance at that really rare drop, or that feeling of excitement as you approach a given area that mob may be and hear it casting before you get to the room.

Make that on a massive scale, single player (or limited for friends) with all of the trappings style of implementation that EQ had (corpse runes, mobs chasing across the zone, cryptic quests that took some years to solve, extremely difficult content hidden behind massive mobs to get back into the areas where a named would be, etc...) and I would be lost for another decade. *chuckle*

Edit:

Oh, here is one that is similar to what I was wanting... but it is missing the mechanics of EQ's mudding like combat system that I like. It is close in many ways, but adds too many action oriented mainstream concepts to hit the target I was describing above.

Not bad though for a fair feel of that style of play.
Last edited by Xenich on February 26th, 2024, 16:24, edited 4 times in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I didn't give Outward a long enough try when I played it the first time. I'll have to pick it up again and see if my impression changes.