We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

"Is this game any good?" Thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

"Is this game any good?" Thread

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Is this game any good?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 21st, 2023, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 21st, 2023, 03:01
Is this game any good?
Have you ever played Ori and the Blind Forest? The gameplay is really similar even if the artstyle is inferior.

I personally didn't like it for one reason: The artstyle and set design is so overdetailed and busy that it's really hard to tell what is relevant. That's a me issue though. I can't comment on the story too much because I didn't play far.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

It's okay-ish, nothing really special. It does get tedious after a while since there's a lot of padding in the game to make the game appear longer than it actually is.

If you're interested in the general premise, go for it. It's not an offensively bad game, just mid, as the kids would say.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Two different questions:

What about Running with Rifles?

Also, what about the Dungeons games? 4 perhaps looks too cartoony - what about 3?

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Acrux wrote: December 21st, 2023, 18:54
Two different questions:

Also, what about the Dungeons games? 4 perhaps looks too cartoony - what about 3?

Running with Rifles is like a flash game. Fun for 10 minutes I guess. Don't really recommend.

Dungeons is 50/50. It has very annoying humor, CONSTANT lame 4th wall meta jokes. The dungeon works ok, nothing remarkable. There is an overworld and units you send to the overworld have a completely different control scheme, like an RTS. You wonder why not just have RTS controls everywhere then?
Rand

Post by Rand »

Worth it or no?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I personally found ESO to be unbearably boring after a short amount of time and I don't know anybody who actually played it long term. Fans of it say that they "fixed" it basically every expansion but it always feels like more of the same to me whenever I give it another try.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Vergil wrote: December 21st, 2023, 23:46
I personally found ESO to be unbearably boring after a short amount of time and I don't know anybody who actually played it long term. Fans of it say that they "fixed" it basically every expansion but it always feels like more of the same to me whenever I give it another try.
I remember playing the open beta and found the PvE gameplay dull. I had some fun dabbling in the big faction warfare in Cryodill with large masses of players fighting in the fields and besieging forts.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Rand wrote: December 21st, 2023, 23:42
Worth it or no?
Only decent part is the quests, but there's no difficulty. Bad MMO.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

It's okay. Light ARPG with some unlocks. The mehanics make you use different characters from time to time, but there were mostly a couple I liked.

It does have the bouncing sprites you hate iirc.
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

Acrux wrote: December 21st, 2023, 18:54
Two different questions:

Running with rifles is worth a buy. its very fun.

if you're looking for a similar game but massively multiplayer with acctual logistics and moving warfronts, check out Foxhole.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Thoughts on Solasta and Black Geyser?
Decline

Post by Decline »

Rand wrote: December 21st, 2023, 23:42
Worth it or no?
If you like questing it's okay I guess. Problem is this game is a technical ruin.
ex: My character got bugged outside the map by a monster and fell eternally downwards, no logout or anything helped, he continued falling. Even the customer support appears to be unable (or too incompetent) to fix it.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Rand wrote: December 25th, 2023, 22:06
Solasta is okay. It's workmanlike, slightly boring 5E combat. I like the way they handled dialogue options. The official campaigns aren't very good, but there are a lot of really great user created campaigns. The Community Expansion mod is almost a necessity. There's an option for "they/them" gender during character creation, but it's purely performative virtual signaling because nothing about the sex of your characters ever comes up.

Black Geyser captures the feeling of BG1 pretty well. It's a little janky. There's an expansion pack and major update that's supposed to be available next summer to include things like strongholds.

Post by 1998 »

Black Geyser is actually surprisingly good. Obviously it shows that its their first game on a limited budget, but they clearly have played some of the classics. There were lots of issues (bugs, performance/loading times...) some of which I think have been patched now. I'd say if you enjoy exploration over story/combat, its worth it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Solasta is OK at best. Devs inserted pronouns into the character creation at the last moment which pissed off a lot of people who already backed the game. 5E combat just isn't that fun, and that's all the game has.
Black Geyser is a decent BG1-like with its own ruleset. I played it during early access and quit due to extremely long loading times, but enjoyed it for the time I played. Don't know if that was fixed.

Post by 1998 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 27th, 2023, 12:23
Solasta is OK at best. Devs inserted pronouns into the character creation at the last moment which pissed off a lot of people who already backed the game. 5E combat just isn't that fun, and that's all the game has.
Black Geyser is a decent BG1-like with its own ruleset. I played it during early access and quit due to extremely long loading times, but enjoyed it for the time I played. Don't know if that was fixed.
Honestly I preferred Black Geyser over Solasta. Solasta was very pretentious, with all their VERTICALITY nonsense, but ultimately not even the combat was fun, and that's all they were focusing on.

But I agree, loading times for BG were atrocious and sometimes they added unnecessary loading screens on top of it. Apparently that got better with some patches...
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Anyone know anything about this?

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Any good?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 20th, 2024, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The_Mask wrote: December 28th, 2023, 06:26
Anyone know anything about this?

I played it for a bit and it was alright, I just didn't like the type of game it is.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I can't vouch for it personally but I have friends who play it all the time and love it, and my cousin said that he could play it forever if he had friends to play with him.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

WhiteShark wrote: January 21st, 2024, 01:19
I can't vouch for it personally but I have friends who play it all the time and love it, and my cousin said that he could play it forever if he had friends to play with him.
I've heard others say the same.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Looks like L4D but with dwarves.