We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Verdict on Final Fantasy XVI?

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
SoLong

Verdict on Final Fantasy XVI?

Post by SoLong »

So, I don't own a PS5. Because fuck this console wars bullshit.

I did, however, enjoy some FF games in the past. 7,9 10 and 15 were good in my opinion. So naturally I'm debating getting this one once it's finally ported to the PC. Did anyone play it and comment on the game's quality? In addition to quality concerns there are also the usual pollutants to consider. On one hand it got banned in Saudi Arabia, which suggests some level of woke nonsense going on. On the other hand the tranny brigade were screeching at the games producers for not including their pet minorities:
During an interview with IGN, the game’s producer, Naoki Yoshida, stated that the game world won’t feature much cultural diversity because it is heavily inspired by medieval Europe, as well as “geographically and culturally isolated” regions. Despite all the criticism levied at Yoshida for his reasoning (and regardless of whether you agree with it), Yoshida stuck to his vision.
Anyone got any opinions to help me come to a decision.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Haven't played it yet. I was a little excited when it was announced when I heard that it was being directed by The Last Remnant's director Hiroshi Takai, but then during the leadup to release the spotlight was hogged by the FF14 director Naoki Yoshida, and it became increasingly apparent that he was the one calling the shots, and I became increasingly disinterested. And then the game came out and people on discord played it and told me about it. I might get around to it eventually but not super excited to play it.
  • The action combat is shallow. It's MMO-esque in that you're just rotating through abilities as soon as they come off cooldown. Doesn't have depth like DMCV's battle system even though they both share the same combat designer.
  • You only control one character and have limited control over a dog. No controlling a party of character as in a traditional Final Fantasy game.
  • No world map. You traverse through a few corridor levels.
  • The game pulls a Final Fantasy Tactics where the first half is a grounded geopolitical conflict that people liked, and then the second half degrades into fighting a god monster for the fate of the universe.
  • MMO tier mediocre sidequests where you watch cutscenes, run to a location and pick 3 flowers or burst down some trash mobs and then watch more cutscenes.
SoLong wrote: December 19th, 2023, 16:54
it got banned in Saudi Arabia, which suggests some level of woke nonsense going on.
The empire's prince (who can transform into Bahamut) is gay and kisses his attendant.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on December 19th, 2023, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 19th, 2023, 17:09
  • The action combat is shallow. It's MMO-esque in that you're just rotating through abilities as soon as they come off cooldown. Doesn't have depth like DMCV's battle system even though they both share the same combat designer.
  • You only control one character and have limited control over a dog. No controlling a party of character as in a traditional Final Fantasy game.
  • No world map. You traverse through a few corridor levels.
  • The game pulls a Final Fantasy Tactics where the first half is a grounded geopolitical conflict that people liked, and then the second half degrades into fighting a god monster for the fate of the universe.
  • MMO tier mediocre sidequests where you watch cutscenes, run to a location and pick 3 flowers or burst down some trash mobs and then watch more cutscenes.
I actually disliked DMCV's battle system a little so that's not a deal braker for me. Neither are the uncontrollable party members, but I need so see how far I can tweak their priorities.

I looked up a few spoiler free maps and they don't seem as aggressively corridor like as the maps of FF13. Can't judge yet but maybe they're at a sweet spot between the linearity of FF10 and the open world disorientation of FF15.

The plot sounds in broad strokes similar to... actually like 90% of Final Fantasy games. You usually fight a god or something god-like near the end. I always found the journey there more interesting.

The quest design sounds bad though. Maybe I'll try looking up a few on youtube if I can find something spoiler free?
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 19th, 2023, 17:09
it got banned in Saudi Arabia, which suggests some level of woke nonsense going on.
The empire's prince (who can transform into Bahamut) is gay and kisses his attendant.
Sigh. There's always something isn't there. Well, I thought Astarion and Zevran were entertaining despite the fact that they were gayer than a clown parade.

Are we talking Dame Aylin-levels of insufferable I-need-to-fuck-my-bf or are they less stereotypical? I can never be sure with JRPGs because western devs always crank the flamboyant gayness up to 11 to make sure you don't miss it while the japanese have this thing going on where they're sometimes fey, sometimes masculine and sometimes they're straight and only resemble group 1 and 2.
Last edited by SoLong on December 19th, 2023, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Eris

Post by Eris »

A Final Fantasy without turn based combat is not a Final Fantasy.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

Shit game for shit people.

I'd recommend Kyūyaku Megami Tensei if you haven't played it already, there's a nice English SNES ROM out there and the game rocks.

Just look at the cover:

Real game for real people.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

You look like morning cartoon for niggers eating sugar bomb cereals.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Kalin wrote: December 19th, 2023, 20:48
You look like morning cartoon for niggers eating sugar bomb cereals.
Your game play tastes "I just mashed the button for 10 minutes, I can't wait for my two hour cutscene. I sure love games with no rpg elements in them" go back to playing last of us 2
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

This is so perfectly not me and so totally what a shitbrain subhuman scumfuck tard like you would comment, I will save this forever. Thanks for this, seriously.
Last edited by Kalin on December 19th, 2023, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Kalin wrote: December 19th, 2023, 21:52
This is so perfectly not me and so totally what a shitbrain subhuman scumfuck tard like you would comment, I will save this forever. Thanks for this, seriously.
You don't even know how to quote reply lol you obviously take estrogen, dilate, and suck dick.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Kalin wrote: December 19th, 2023, 20:33
Shit game for shit people.

I'd recommend Kyūyaku Megami Tensei if you haven't played it already, there's a nice English SNES ROM out there and the game rocks.

Just look at the cover:

Real game for real people.
Thanks man. Downloaded it from romhacking. :salute:
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 20th, 2023, 02:28
Nobody owns a PS5 so who knows
Surely an exaggeration :lol: Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see then.