We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 54

Vergil

Fallout: New Vegas

Post by Vergil »

Surprised to see there's no thread considering how popular (and potentially divisive) it is. It's easily one of my favorites of all time and I find myself coming back to it very frequently. Since there seems to be a high number of classic Fallout fans on here I'm curious what the general feeling on this game is here. Does it deserve to be placed among Fallout 1 and 2 as a legitimate Fallout game or is it closer to Fallout 3 and still considered a pale imitation of the what the franchise was?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I've been thinking of playing it again soon. Any mod recommendations?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 10th, 2023, 05:25
What are you looking for? Just general gameplay improvements or quest mods?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 05:25
Gameplay, quests, new lands, whatever's hot. It's been years since I last played and I can't remember many mods.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 10th, 2023, 05:31
Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 05:25
Gameplay, quests, new lands, whatever's hot. It's been years since I last played and I can't remember many mods.
As far as gameplay goes JAM - Just Assorted Mods and some of the B42 series are pretty much essential to make the gameplay feel nice and enjoyable. Unfortunately when it comes to quest mods though that's a really stagnant area. All the big major quest mods from the last 10 years or so have been major flops. There's some pretty enjoyable ones like Salt Lake Stories and Havasu Blues that add new little areas to explore that I enjoyed. Behind that it's really the old school staples like the Someguy Series (which are slowly being remastered currently)
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I want to play Tactics so bad but I get hard filtered by the gameplay every time.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

I used to really like that game before it became trannycore. Personally I blame The Frontier.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Sweeper wrote: December 10th, 2023, 07:32
I used to really like that game before it became trannycore. Personally I blame The Frontier.
He's using fag language and spinning it as a good thing but it is essentially the truth which is that there is nothing about New Vegas (or most random media troons latch onto for that matter) that is trannycore they're just obnoxious parasites that infest communities and push out normal people and then claim it as their own. Nothing about New Vegas has anything do with tranny nonsense but 90% of places to discuss things online are pozzed so people who get annoyed by troons have no choice but to leave.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 07:35
He's using fag language and spinning it as a good thing but it is essentially the truth which is that there is nothing about New Vegas (or most random media troons latch onto for that matter) that is trannycore they're just obnoxious parasites that infest communities and push out normal people and then claim it as their own. Nothing about New Vegas has anything do with tranny nonsense but 90% of places to discuss things online are pozzed so people who get annoyed by troons have no choice but to leave.
All very true, and yet none of it matters. The trannies have taken over New Vegas and now my first association when I think of New Vegas isn't Graham or Elijah or any of the other cool shit (I really loved Dead Money), it's a bunch of fucking mentally ill troons on fucking ResetEra or wherever the fuck jerking their non-existent peckers to New Vegas.
I had a really cool Eye for Eye explosives build that I wanted to try out, but I can't even bring myself to start the game anymore.
It is what it is.
Oh, and also, I think the trannies are attracted to the politics of New Vegas. It allows them to live out their fantasy of vanquishing the (Legion) chud.
Last edited by Sweeper on December 10th, 2023, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

All of these games trace their roots back to Wasteland 1. If you haven't played it yet, do so.
Last edited by Gregz on December 10th, 2023, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Sweeper wrote: December 10th, 2023, 07:39
Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 07:35
All very true, and yet none of it matters. The trannies have taken over New Vegas and now my first association when I think of New Vegas isn't Graham or Elijah or any of the other cool shit (I really loved Dead Money), it's a bunch of fucking mentally ill troons on fucking ResetEra or wherever the fuck jerking their non-existent peckers to New Vegas.
I had a really cool Eye for Eye explosives build that I wanted to try out, but I can't even bring myself to start the game anymore.
It is what it is.
Oh, and also, I think the trannies are attracted to the politics of New Vegas. It allows them to live out their fantasy of vanquishing the (Legion) chud.
I think you're being a bit defeatist here. RPGs as a whole are associated with normalfag goyslop and modding is associated with freakish troons grooming 14 year olds on discord but here we are. I'm not going to let a game I've enjoyed for over a decade get ruined for me by a bunch of thigh high sock wearing faggots who will probably off themselves before another decade passes.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 07:49
I'm not going to let a game I've enjoyed for over a decade get ruined for me by a bunch of thigh high sock wearing faggots who will probably off themselves before another decade passes.
Fair enough I suppose.
Last edited by Sweeper on December 10th, 2023, 08:01, edited 3 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

It's the ONLY successor to the classics.
I don't accept Bethesda's idiocy as canon.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm going to shoot soyer in the chest with a .45 ACP bullet (legally actionable threat) for locking the Enclave shit in this game behind the soy fag doctor who won't even come with you if Caesar's Legion likes you. Not even siding with them this playthrough (doing an Enclave themed Mr House run with Claim the Mojave and For the Enclave on the side) they just don't hate me.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Amazing game, must have dumped around 1000 hours in it, now I get physically ill whenever I think of playing it, doubt ill ever replay, but god damn, I had fun.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm pretty shocked that I haven't reached a higher level of burnout with the game considering how hard I've squeezed it of content both in game and mods over the years. My current play-through started with Fallout: New California and then I took that character to TTW and now I'm finally in the Mojave.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm thinking of expanding my small shitty mod for the remnants into race swapping most of the regular characters and sex changing some of the female characters like the caravan guards and such. Should I do the same for the NCR or is the fact they use women soldiers a part of their character as a shitty homo soy military :scratch:
Rand

Post by Rand »

Vergil wrote: December 17th, 2023, 21:40
I'm thinking of expanding my small shitty mod for the remnants into race swapping most of the regular characters and sex changing some of the female characters like the caravan guards and such. Should I do the same for the NCR or is the fact they use women soldiers a part of their character as a shitty homo soy military :scratch:
No. They wouldn't use women combat soldiers any more than any other modern military would.
They're not short of manpower, so it doesn't really make sense.
Last edited by Rand on December 17th, 2023, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Rand wrote: December 17th, 2023, 23:10
Vergil wrote: December 17th, 2023, 21:40
No. They wouldn't use women combat soldiers any more than any other modern military would.
They're not short of manpower, so it doesn't really make sense.
Removing the cartoon bullshit ideaology of the devs would be great, but I think its asking too much from mods. Who's the retard that thought up the legion? The game should be about the ordinary perils of being a mail man in the fallen west and trying to get your money.
Consul

Post by Consul »

When it comes to the core essence of the original Fallout, NV is the closest to being a true successor in comparison to the other games in the series. It tries to come as close as possible to the first game in terms of the tone and lore. In my opinion, Fallout 2 departed too much from the grittiness and realism of the original towards the wacky and silly theme park designs that Fallout 3 is also known for. The atmosphere in NV sometimes gets too close to western/cowboy vibes, but since it takes place in a post post-apocalyptic setting I think it can be justified. The tone is the one thing it has above Fallout 2, since the other core elements like character building, quest design and C&C are also respected in that game.

There is also the question of combat, one of the most visible changes from the original, but since it has never been a strong point in the old games I don't consider that type of combat to be a mandatory element for a Fallout game. Some might argue that changing the perspective from which the world is seen makes it too big of a departure from the original and I guess it would be a fair point. Still, considering how much the atmosphere was butchered in Fallout 2 with talking deathclaws, gangster cities, all the pop culture references I consider FV to stand above that game when it comes to being true to the original.

Speaking of the community, it seems to be split into two camps, fascists and alphabets, I was shocked to find out that the second group most closely identifies with Caesar's Legion, which I find hard to explain considering that they would be the first ones to be crucified by the Legion. Some time ago I watched two videos on youtube talking about the conflict between those two groups, which I found interesting:

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I actually disagree pretty heavily with this. I would say New Vegas is cut from the same cloth as Fallout 2. Certainly a lot more than it is Fallout 1. New Vegas has a far lighter tone than Fallout 1. It might have it's darker moments with the Legion but nothing more so than stuff found in Fallout 2. It's got a much lighter atmosphere and tone. Most of things you reference as examples of Fallout 2 butchering the atmosphere are present in New Vegas. New Vegas itself is home to three flavors of gangster larpers, an Elvis impersonator gang, the Legion are a bunch of Rome larpers wearing football pads, and there's a mission where you procure a fisting sex robot for someone.
Both also take place in a post post apocalypse setting wheras Fallout 1 leans a lot more on a desolate wasteland. A lot of the carry overs who worked on New Vegas worked on Fallout 2, not Fallout 1 and I think that really shows in both tone, the kind of factions that show up and even the references and reoccurring characters like Doc Henry and Marcus being Fallout 2 characters.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Hakuto no ken is a better post apoc than Fallout 2-76.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

This is less bullshit than every fallout since 1.

Rand

Post by Rand »

The alphabet weirdos are fans of Caesar's Legion?
Lololol!
Yeah, they'd be killed by the Legion.
And not as an example to others, but because of the wrongness they inflict on the world by existing.
Consul

Post by Consul »

The atmosphere is lighter, that's true, but it does not venture into the goofy territory of Fallout 2 unless you take the Wild Wasteland perk. The way those gangs are handled in NV is different than Fallout 2. In NV, the Kings are self conscious and self admitted larpers who base their identity around Elvis equivalent of the Fallout universe, because the leader of the group was inspired in one way or the other by that pre-war figure. They are a small youth subculture in a bigger city that one can see organically forming in the world of Fallout. The Legion is just a coalition of tribes brought together by a charismatic and conquering leader who scavange for equipment to outfit their meat shield melee army. The Roman aspect is explained by the fascination of its leader with historical Julius Caesar and pre-war literature. Contrast it to New Reno, a place ripped straight out from 1930s Chicago with Tommy Gun wielding Italian mobsters. Nowhere in the lore as far as I'm aware is it convincingly explained how this situation came to be. New Reno feels artificial and out of place, it's built as a theme park for the player to explore.

The Strip in NV is the closest thing to New Reno, but since it was preserved in its form by a pre-war prepper Mr House (unless I'm misremembering it) its state can be somehow justified. It's true that both of those elements are in NV and Fallout 2, but NV managed to make it more grounded to not feel hamfisted like in the case of Fallout 2. Personally, I never felt that the Kings and the Legion didn't belong in the game's world, but I can't say the same about New Reno.

It's true that NV took themes from Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, but what they did take from Fallout 2 in my opinion they handled it better.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Atlantico wrote: December 18th, 2023, 23:08
I hated the DLCs.
I really liked Dead Money but the rest are pretty hit or miss. Honest Hearts feels like a glorified side quest and Old World Blues has a great area to explore but waterboards you with unfunny dialog constantly. Lonesome Road felt like a location from a Fallout 3 mod where it's just a long dungeon full of over powered enemies.