We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 58

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

A problem with high resolution texture mods in FNV and similarly old games is you're quickly going to run up against the wall of memory space available for a 32bit application. This could theoretically be fixed with e.g., a fork of DXVK that uses entirely out of process memory, but I don't think anything exists like that yet.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

New Vegas has the 4gb patch and some xNVSE plugins that mitigate the issue pretty well. I should also mention don't get the "4k" versions of anything I list it's very unnecessary and is just bloating your game for negligible graphical increases.
MedicFren

Post by MedicFren »

Vergil wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:57
MedicFren wrote: April 28th, 2024, 19:20
more graphically up to date
The only essentials that I would pretty much blanket recommend are:
Legacy Reborn Texture Pack
Atmospheres - Weather and Lighting
And pretty much anything Balebandr0 has released as part of his "physically based" collection
https://next.nexusmods.com/profile/Balebandr0/mods
You can get New Vegas Reloaded (requires joining their discord but it's easy to find) if you feel like dealing with it and only using a couple of the shaders like volumetric fog and tonemapping in the settings menu. Most of the others will look iffy depending on location and sucker fuck your framerate.
add new weapons and armor
Classic Fallout Weapons Remastered & Hit - Classic Fallout Weapon Animations - Part 1
Tammer's NIF-Bashed Armor Mega-Pack
https://fallout.firedrakecreative.com/doku.php?id=armor
Anything else is going to again depend on personal preference.
make the mojave completely devoid of DEI
No clue what you mean by this.
remove the lesbian dialogue from the bos girl,
Don't think anyone has but frankly being an annoying cunt voiced by felicia day is the bigger issue imo :Inspector:

By the DEI comment I meant something like Grounded commonwealth by AmericanKrogan
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

MedicFren wrote: April 28th, 2024, 20:32
By the DEI comment I meant something like Grounded commonwealth by AmericanKrogan
No besides my very awful dirty edit of the enclave remnants and changing the Zion tribals to pagan larpers. A mod like that for New Vegas would be kind of hard because it doesn't really have forced diversity like modern games. The NCR having women as soldiers/leaders fits them being a shitlib incompetent democracy. The only black Legion character of consequence I can think of is the guy at Cottonwood Cove and Caesar is pulling soldiers from all over his territory so it's not really forced for there to be a few darkies in there.
As for the fags at least 3/4 require you to have taken one of the fag perks yourself to interact with the content and the rest are thematically appropriate. A seedy brothel catering to NCR tourists is gonna have male strippers, one of the fag prostitutes is a runaway slave who was about to be killed to keep his fag master's secret intact and Veronica is a stupid ugly hole so being a dyke isn't really out of place all things considered. :Inspector:
It's not like BG3 where half the population are inexplicably fags and no one seems to notice how peculiar that is.
Last edited by Vergil on April 28th, 2024, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
MedicFren

Post by MedicFren »

Vergil wrote: April 28th, 2024, 20:36
MedicFren wrote: April 28th, 2024, 20:32
No besides my very awful dirty edit of the enclave remnants and changing the Zion tribals to pagan larpers. A mod like that for New Vegas would be kind of hard because it doesn't really have forced diversity like modern games. The NCR having women as soldiers/leaders fits them being a shitlib incompetent democracy. The only black Legion character of consequence I can think of is the guy at Cottonwood Cove and Caesar is pulling soldiers from all over his territory so it's not really forced for there to be a few darkies in there.
As for the fags at least 3/4 require you to have taken one of the fag perks yourself to interact with the content and the rest are thematically appropriate. A seedy brothel catering to NCR tourists is gonna have male strippers, one of the fag prostitutes is a runaway slave who was about to be killed to keep his fag master's secret intact and Veronica is a stupid ugly hole so being a dyke isn't really out of place all things considered. :Inspector:
It's not like BG3 where half the population are inexplicably fags and no one seems to notice how peculiar that is.
I havent played fnv since i 100%'ed it on xbox .I'm so used to having to mod out diversity in games that I forgot that FNV wasn't that bad.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I turned FNV into a servicable shooterpg with classic mods, and then dropped it in five hours.