We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 54

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I don't really get why modlists get taken down. Why can't they be left up on the latest stable version?
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

WhiteShark wrote: March 12th, 2024, 07:52
I don't really get why modlists get taken down. Why can't they be left up on the latest stable version?
Usually its because the authors flip out and delete it during an emotional fit
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

I should try some collections on nexus i hope something really good in there like big modlists.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Another reason why cultivating your own personal mod lists based on your own tastes (instead of relying on another man's modlist... basically submitting to another man's tastes and desires kinda weird...) is the better option so you don't get screwed over when whatever troons keeps these things updated joins the 42% or whatever.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Modder deletes everything and goes AWOL ..
Nammu Archag wrote: March 11th, 2024, 09:39
Probably just retarded drama
Did you really need to even ask? :lol:
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I never really played this game (I was soured during the initial release of FO3 and Bethesda's approach and never really picked the series back up after that). I heard it is really good, but now we are years later, and because I am a bit of OCD, I can't bring myself to play it without modding it for both game play and appearance.

So, question is...

If I am more of a traditionalist in play (prefer older, stricter, more difficult and in-depth systems of play ie... I prefer Morrowind over Oblivion on development systems), hate modern identity politics (I can deal with clever and intelligent encounters, providing it is subtle and not leading) and despise "console" focused designs (interface, inventory, etc..).

So.. does anyone recommend a mod list as a base start (going in blind as I said)? I don't mind tailoring it, but starting from scratch will just cause me to put it off from trying it.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

You should never heavily mod a game for your first playthrough.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:21
Based.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I'd agree with you if everyone enjoyed repeat playthroughs, but I can count the number of times I actually enjoyed replaying a game on one hand, so I can't. If you're only going to play once, better to make it the optimal experience from the get-go.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

I don't play second play throughs very often unless they are more of a generated game, or it has been 20+ years since I played it and I don't remember it very well. It is much like reading a book you already read, as soon as you get into the 1st few pages, it all comes back and there is no point in my opinion.

The reason for modding is because as I explained, BG3 might have been enjoyable with all of the changes (I did a bit, but it wasn't enough and I should have waited till things progressed more before playing and modding it). Now, it will be a long while before I go back and try it again because it is fresh in my mind.

So, for me... modding doesn't "destroy" the first perception because I am not a purist in that sense and all I care about is my first play through, which I know will be much better if I do not encounter the game breaking aspects I did on my first play.

Oblivion is another game I wish I would have waited for. I played it on release, I liked many elements of it, but then it turned to crap and it took many years before I went back to play it again fully modded with FCOM and some tweaks. It was a much better game and I thoroughly enjoyed it because of that.

edit: Also keep in mind I am not modding for cultural feel (ie putting in gimmicky crap), I am more focused on the base systems of play, interface, and graphical "enhancements" (not complete setting changes) and removing any identity politics if they are overly pushed.
Last edited by Xenich on March 12th, 2024, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

WhiteShark wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:30
I'd agree with you if everyone enjoyed repeat playthroughs, but I can count the number of times I actually enjoyed replaying a game on one hand, so I can't. If you're only going to play once, better to make it the optimal experience from the get-go.
You know what, you're right. In that case, you guys should hold off until I make the Wabbajack list. I'll cook something up mighty fine for us.

Just a warning though, I'm prejudiced against quest mods and will not add any.
Last edited by loregamer on March 12th, 2024, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:35
You know what, you're right. In that case, you guys should hold off until I make the Wabbajack list. I'll cook something up mighty fine for us.

Perfect!
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

How will you know what the optimal experience is if you haven't gone through the actual experience first though? How will you know if what you're tweaking are things you should actually be tweaking without going through them first? I also question if you can even really say you "played" a game if you downloaded some massive modlist from the jump to radically alter it into a different game.
Also if you're anti-repeat playthroughs these kind of games might just not be for you anyway.
Don't see the point in going back and trying to play a game everyone considers a classic to see what the hype is about but do everything in your power to make that game as different as possible to suit your (or in the case of people too lazy to even pick out their own mods, someone else's) tastes.
Last edited by Vergil on March 12th, 2024, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:42
How will you know what the optimal experience is if you haven't gone through the actual experience first though? How will you know if what you're tweaking are things you should actually be tweaking without going through them first? I also question if you can even really say you "played" a game if you downloaded some massive modlist from the jump to radically alter it into a different game.
Those are valid points. I tend to rely on the experience of people whom I trust to determine what should be changed and what shouldn't. I also have distinct preferences myself and, in the case of Bethesda and adjacent, am not overly concerned with the sort of experienced they intended. Also, let's be fair: the lead developer of New Vegas himself modded the game after the fact to bring it closer to his vision. I don't really care if using mods means I didn't truly 'play the game' if it means I have more fun.
Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:42
Also if you're anti-repeat playthroughs these kind of games might just not be for you anyway.
I don't see why not. I'm having fun with Enderal right now and I'm using mods to make it play more like a 3rd person action game because I loathe default Skryim combat.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:52
I'm having fun with Enderal right now and I'm using mods to make it play more like a 3rd person action game because I loathe default Skryim combat.
I don't know if I would call playing a total conversion mod with it's own entire world and story separate from Skyrim on top of a complete overhaul of the combat system a repeat playthrough of Skyrim.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:57
I don't know if I would call playing a total conversion mod with it's own entire world and story separate from Skyrim on top of a complete overhaul of the combat system a repeat playthrough of Skyrim.
That's not quite what I meant. I've only played enough Skyrim to know I don't like how it plays and I've never played Enderal before. This was in reference to the idea that these games may just not 'be for me'; perhaps that were true if I stuck with vanilla, but if I mold them to my preferences, I can have fun anyway.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 12th, 2024, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Vergil wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:57
WhiteShark wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:52
I'm having fun with Enderal right now and I'm using mods to make it play more like a 3rd person action game because I loathe default Skryim combat.
Yeah, I try to avoid that sort of thing if I can, but if the system changes are what I am looking for, I will go with it. I really didn't play Skyrim very much because I hated the systems, and I have watched Requiem over the years get to the point where I think it suits what I am looking for. My hitch now is trying to get the graphics overhauls all put in and that is a pain, but from looking at the appearance of what it provides, it is what I think will make my experience enjoyable as a complete playthrough, but FFS is there a lot of work on those implementations.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I'm prejudiced against quest mods and will not add any.
I grabbed some of the top quest mods without looking into them to avoid spoilers and wound up giving some lolsorandom faggot 30 nuka colas to power a toy space ship that sent me to the moon
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 12th, 2024, 17:07

I grabbed some of the top quest mods without looking into them to avoid spoilers and wound up giving some lolsorandom faggot 30 nuka colas to power a toy space ship that sent me to the moon
Assume all Bethesda quest mods are shit. Easy as that
Last edited by loregamer on March 12th, 2024, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 17:09

Assume all Bethesda quest mods are shit. Easy as that
Nah, Skyrim has some good ones. Forgotten City is neat and got its own game, Legacy of the Dragonborn is better than anything in the base game, and I hear Trainwiz did some cool stuff.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The only good quest mods for New Vegas are ones that give you new locations to explore and shoot things. Anything story focused will be extremely mediocre best case scenario. Even Someguy2000's best mods are only good because they're borderline adaptations of books he likes.
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 12th, 2024, 17:12
Forgotten City is neat and got its own game
I thought it was horribly dull with zero replay value and the twist was obvious but in classic fashion I had to go around pretending to be retard until I was allowed to discover the twist. The lore is also extremely incongruent with TES lore which is probably why it was so easy to strip out and turn into it's own thing.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

I haven’t tried Legacy of the Dragonborn but I hear it’s good. Doesn’t it basically just add a museum and artifacts for you to discover? So it’s just for people who want to go treasure hunting right, no quests or content? Or am I misinformed?

I thik The Frontier really blackpilled me on quests mods haha.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 17:28
I haven’t tried Legacy of the Dragonborn but I hear it’s good. Doesn’t it basically just add a museum and artifacts for you to discover? So it’s just for people who want to go treasure hunting right, no quests or content? Or am I misinformed?

read lotd wiki you will find most of information there
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

loregamer wrote: March 12th, 2024, 17:28

The museum is attached to an Explorer's Guild that you manage/lead on expeditions. There are also quests within the museum itself. If I had to play Skyrim with only one mod, it would be LotD. They were working on an expansion to it when I played, not sure if it's out by now.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Xenich wrote: March 12th, 2024, 15:33
I don't play second play throughs very often unless they are more of a generated game, or it has been 20+ years since I played it and I don't remember it very well. It is much like reading a book you already read, as soon as you get into the 1st few pages, it all comes back and there is no point in my opinion.

The reason for modding is because as I explained, BG3 might have been enjoyable with all of the changes (I did a bit, but it wasn't enough and I should have waited till things progressed more before playing and modding it). Now, it will be a long while before I go back and try it again because it is fresh in my mind.

So, for me... modding doesn't "destroy" the first perception because I am not a purist in that sense and all I care about is my first play-through, which I know will be much better if I do not encounter the game breaking aspects I did on my first play.

Oblivion is another game I wish I would have waited for. I played it on release, I liked many elements of it, but then it turned to crap and it took many years before I went back to play it again fully modded with FCOM and some tweaks. It was a much better game and I thoroughly enjoyed it because of that.

edit: Also keep in mind I am not modding for cultural feel (ie putting in gimmicky crap), I am more focused on the base systems of play, interface, and graphical "enhancements" (not complete setting changes) and removing any identity politics if they are overly pushed.
Well, this is just what I would have recommended VNV for if not for the recent drama. If you only use its first few sections, all it does is make the game more stable and add QoL features. It was good for enjoying the vanilla experience or adding additional mods to it as a framework, but now it's not as trustworthy
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

fnv is like a third of a game without mods
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 13th, 2024, 01:10
fnv is like a third of a game without mods
This is a pretty epic statement it'd be even crazier if it was true too.

Curious what your essential mods to make it not 1/3rd of a game are :scratch:
Last edited by Vergil on March 13th, 2024, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I'm also curious about what you consider the "base game". Is it the base version without any bug fixing etc?

If you're taking into consideration all the mods that fixes broken/jank in FNV (which are very numerous) as "base game", then your point is alright.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Anon wrote: March 13th, 2024, 01:16
I'm also curious about what you consider the "base game". Is it the base version without any bug fixing etc?

If you're taking into consideration all the mods that fixes broken/jank in FNV (which are very numerous) as "base game", then your point is alright.
Base game is Fallout New Vegas plus DLC and mods like tick fix, NVAC etc. to make the game stable. I would also tentatively accept Jsawyer/JSawyer Ultimate Edition.
Beyond that you're getting into personal preferences and changing the game into something far from the original intended experience plus straight enhancements.
Last edited by Vergil on March 13th, 2024, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.