We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 58

Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Fallout NV was always the tranny and hardcore autist game. I wonder what about it specifically attracts them?

They also love souls games because they are packed full of gnosticism. Nobody feels more “imprisoned by matter” than trannys who think they’re trapped in the wrong body.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Wretch wrote: December 19th, 2023, 20:20
Fallout NV was always the tranny and hardcore autist game. I wonder what about it specifically attracts them?
There's a not insignificant number of people attracted to the game due to the /k/ element of all of the different weapons and calibers represented. Fallout games half always attracted a weird number of people who have wanted to turn them into tacticool FPS games for whatever reason.
I don't think it's fair to say it was always a tranny game tho. New Vegas has been popular a lot longer than the troon zeitgeist has been around.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Vergil wrote: December 19th, 2023, 20:22
There's a not insignificant number of people attracted to the game due to the /k/ element of all of the different weapons and calibers represented. Fallout games half always attracted a weird number of people who have wanted to turn them into tacticool FPS games for whatever reason.
I don't think it's fair to say it was always a tranny game tho. New Vegas has been popular a lot longer than the troon zeitgeist has been around.
I remember going on /v/ all those years ago when the game was pretty new and the threads were mainly started (and filled) by a named tranny and their simps. Also I have just noticed a pattern of interacting with people online where if they really like FNV they’re usually out of touch with reality and pretty deep on the spectrum. Years ago someone made me aware of fallout gmod servers and they are such an acute degree of autism that it really deserves its own case study.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Wretch wrote: December 19th, 2023, 20:29
Also I have just noticed a pattern of interacting with people online where if they really like FNV they’re usually out of touch with reality and pretty deep on the spectrum.
Well I can't really argue against that one. :lol:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

NV had better weapon variety AND weapon progression than F3 or F4 (or F1 or F2). And if you're already into guns, the way NV did it is intuitive. If you're into guns and then you play F3, where a .32 can either be a revolver round or a hunting rifle round, and do very different damage in each one, it's confusing and weird.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Wretch wrote: December 19th, 2023, 20:29
I remember going on /v/ all those years ago when the game was pretty new and the threads were mainly started (and filled) by a named tranny and their simps. Also I have just noticed a pattern of interacting with people online where if they really like FNV they’re usually out of touch with reality and pretty deep on the spectrum. Years ago someone made me aware of fallout gmod servers and they are such an acute degree of autism that it really deserves its own case study.
I didn't even know trans people existed back then, sounds like you were just hanging around the wrong places imo. Troons are a massive minority in a lot of these game communities, just extremely rabid and vocal. Stuff like valorant is infinitely more pozzed by total number and oftentimes by proportion as well, but it gets drowned in the normie wave. The innate centralized nature of such communities leaves little power vacuum for the troon vanguard to fight over, unlike RPGs from a decade ago.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 05:17
Since there seems to be a high number of classic Fallout fans on here I'm curious what the general feeling on this game is here. Does it deserve to be placed among Fallout 1 and 2 as a legitimate Fallout game or is it closer to Fallout 3 and still considered a pale imitation of the what the franchise was?
Games closest to the original Fallout are some of the total conversions for FO2 such as Fallout Nevada and Fallout Sonora(don't know if this one has a good English translation yet), along with ATOM RPG + Trudograd. I've heard some decent things about some of the other FO2 total conversions, but I haven't played them. Think the name of one that was considered good was Fallout 1.5.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Nammu Archag wrote: December 20th, 2023, 02:32
Troons are a massive minority in a lot of these game communities, just extremely rabid and vocal.
You can see the same sort of bubble in basically any social media fandom e.g., BG3 subreddit went into full cope over Larian releasing their data from tracked user analytics because it was absolutely nothing like what they constantly post in their echo chamber.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 20th, 2023, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Vergil wrote: December 19th, 2023, 19:49
Atlantico wrote: December 18th, 2023, 23:08
I hated the DLCs.
I really liked Dead Money but the rest are pretty hit or miss. Honest Hearts feels like a glorified side quest and Old World Blues has a great area to explore but waterboards you with unfunny dialog constantly. Lonesome Road felt like a location from a Fallout 3 mod where it's just a long dungeon full of over powered enemies.
Dead Money was amazing the first playthrough but I low key avoid it.. It's one of those things that is super kino when your experiencing it - but in hindsight it's sort of a slog and I never really look forward to it and usually just don't. (I always tell myself that I'll pump strength and do it for the payout but then I always bail out like a pussy)

Old World Blues I almost always play immediately but more so for the items / benefits than the plot. I do like it though, it's charming.

Honest Hearts isn't terrible, I do like Joshua Graham, it's hard to believe Sawyer wrote him. Honestly most of Sawyers contributions to New Vegas are legitimately good. This dates back to when @Roguey had a gay-male-stalker crush on him. It wasn't until his autistic spergings around PoE that he really revealed himself.

Lonesome Roads is garbo.
Last edited by Shillitron on December 20th, 2023, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I only played Old World Blues. You know what they say: all toasters toast toast.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Lonesome Road is the only awful DLC. Forcing the courier to have a very specific background just ruins a large part of the game for me, tbh. Up until that point if you were asked about something that happened prior to the game, you were able to deny it.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I disliked the way Lonesome Road gives you a background, but other than that (and the boring dialogues with Ulysses) it's a good dlc. Decent and atmospheric STALKER-like action/dungeoncrawl.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Installed the highly acclaimed "New Vegas Bounties" mod. Came across the quest giver and then asked him what his story was. He casually recounted the tale of a man clubbing him in his sleep before raping his pregnant wife, cutting the baby out of her and butchering it, then cutting off most of his face and leaving him for dead.
Least deranged NV modder.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 20th, 2023, 08:42
Installed the highly acclaimed "New Vegas Bounties" mod. Came across the quest giver and then asked him what his story was. He casually recounted the tale of a man clubbing him in his sleep before raping his pregnant wife, cutting the baby out of her and butchering it, then cutting off most of his face and leaving him for dead.
Did you install the mandatory FNV mods?
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/75862/
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 20th, 2023, 08:44
Yeah, I'm playing on hardcore so it's been a real challenge finding enough estrogen in the wasteland
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The Someguy Series (especially NVB I) hasn't aged the best but it's better than a lot of other trash that's was out at the time. Are you playing the remastered version of it or the original?
As for the edgyness his main inspiration was Cormac McCarthy's novels so that's the be expected.
Marko and Russell's backstory are based on a canonical character/event from Fallout 3 though.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Dead_end
Last edited by Vergil on December 20th, 2023, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

It has a good set up for the main conflict, which sparked a lot of debate that goes on to this day about the merits of siding with either faction. It was interesting to replay, and in that way it was a good successor to the classics. Ofc the engine was bad, the map wasn't great, buggy at release etc etc, but it's hard to argue with the notion that it was the best entry in the series since Tactics.

As for the troon stuff - that's not a good indicator for the game's quality. We can retroactively smear a lot of good games if we employ that as our measuring tape.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

wndrbr wrote: December 20th, 2023, 04:50
atmospheric STALKER-like action/dungeoncrawl.
That's a reach.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 20th, 2023, 08:44
CIS SCUM like you belong on a cross.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Mr House is the best lich in any 3d game I've played.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Been playing hardcore/very hard. I'm actually having to use locational damage in most fights. Taking out one leg makes me just barely able to outrun an enemy, and both lets me run circles around them. Shooting arms is a great way to disarm an opponent, though you have to to run up and grab the gun before they pick it up. Even smashing their ribs fucks up their combat effectiveness by causing them to stagger more.
Granted, I only have to do these things because most enemies are pain-in-the-ass bullet sponges.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

This thread is making me want to install New Vegas again.. assholes.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 03:49
Why not a nice game of ATOM?
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 04:15
I like isometrics but they don't really compare to well executed fps's in terms of immersion
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Nammu Archag wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 04:31
I like isometrics but they don't really compare to well executed fps's in terms of immersion
I play beth games in third person tho
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 04:31
Nammu Archag wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 04:31

I play beth games in third person tho
then I guess it depends on what you are trying to get out of the experience. I only ever go into 3rd person to check out my cool armor or stuff like that since first-person blurs the lines of reality the most for me
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I used to pretty much be first person only in New Vegas until some of the better animations and camera mods have come out. With Just Spring Plus, 3rd person Movement Animation Overhaul, and 3rd Person Camera Overhaul you can get a very enjoyable third person experience out of it.