We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 58

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

first person feels like playing a game while looking through a toilet paper tube
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Vergil wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 04:57
I used to pretty much be first person only in New Vegas until some of the better animations and camera mods have come out. With Just Spring Plus, 3rd person Movement Animation Overhaul, and 3rd Person Camera Overhaul you can get a very enjoyable third person experience out of it.
I use most of those but since Hit's Anims exist I seldom take advantage anyways
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 05:02
first person feels like playing a game while looking through a toilet paper tube
adjust fov maybe?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Nammu Archag wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 05:04
rusty_shackleford wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 05:02
adjust fov maybe?
that just feels like you're looking through a toilet paper tube that is slightly extended at the end
can't be fixed without stereoscopic output.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 22nd, 2023, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Nammu Archag wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 05:04
Vergil wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 04:57
I used to pretty much be first person only in New Vegas until some of the better animations and camera mods have come out. With Just Spring Plus, 3rd person Movement Animation Overhaul, and 3rd Person Camera Overhaul you can get a very enjoyable third person experience out of it.
I use most of those but since Hit's Anims exist I seldom take advantage anyways
That's why I typically get both of them so that I can change between two enjoyable and viable play styles mid game when I get bored. For this run I did a pretty hardcore run where I had the ammo, health, and AP counters turned off and had to rely on the B42 watch mod to keep track of my health/rads/stealth during the Capital Wasteland (playing TTW) but I got tired of it and transitioned to a minimalist UI while sticking mostly third person in the Mojave.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

My big regret so far is not modding the desert to be more visually interesting. It kind of feels like exploring a mostly empty MMO zone with far too few assets. Or maybe it's more like the world was made with the Age of Mythology custom map maker. Feels cheap and ugly.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 28th, 2023, 18:00
My big regret so far is not modding the desert to be more visually interesting. It kind of feels like exploring a mostly empty MMO zone with far too few assets. Or maybe it's more like the world was made with the Age of Mythology custom map maker. Feels cheap and ugly.
The problem I've encountered is pretty much all all-in-one mods to add new locales to the wasteland have really wonky quality between locations but the alternative is to download dozens of separate small scale mods which can be annoying. "A World of (Less) Pain - A Lore Friendly AWOP Revision" is a pretty decent one that covers a lot of locations though.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: December 29th, 2023, 19:54
The problem I've encountered is pretty much all all-in-one mods to add new locales to the wasteland have really wonky quality between locations but the alternative is to download dozens of separate small scale mods which can be annoying. "A World of (Less) Pain - A Lore Friendly AWOP Revision" is a pretty decent one that covers a lot of locations though.
Any recommendations for tuning the difficulty? On very hard it can take dozens of bullets to kill a single ghoul, but at the same time I can just backpedal and be fine or let a companion tank so it's not like it's especially challenging.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 29th, 2023, 20:51
Vergil wrote: December 29th, 2023, 19:54
Any recommendations for tuning the difficulty? On very hard it can take dozens of bullets to kill a single ghoul, but at the same time I can just backpedal and be fine or let a companion tank so it's not like it's especially challenging.
The only consistent difficulty/overhaul I use is Jsawyer Ultimate Edition. Currently I've been playing with ROOG and BLEED. They're alright but their effects feel a little esoteric at times to the point of not really noticing. My current installation is all sorts of fucked up though so that could have something to do with it (technically I'm playing Tale of Four Wastelands now since I have FNC, TTW, and The Frontier all at once).
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Beat it. I've played it before of course, but this time my first "complete" playthrough. Random notes:

-Combat ranges from not very good to straight up bad. Playing on Very Hard most enemies were bullet sponges by the end, and so was I. Dumping 2 magazines of an automatic shotgun into an enemy while a companion tanked was typical. Even a fully repaired Medicine Stick felt weak. With 100 guns and stealth I would just try to chain stealthcrit enemies with a silenced sniper rifle since they don't really react to being shot, and other enemies in the area don't really care when they find a body. All roads lead to stealth archering. Rarely I would come across enemies that were satisfying to shoot because they would go down in 1-3 bullets, but this really just meant that their level scaling capped out much earlier in the game and they would do negligible damage if they were to hit me.
-You're forced to use the Oblivion compass because NPCs don't give specific directions. The same thing everybody gives Bethesda shit for.
-The game is designed around fast travel. The same thing everybody gives Bethesda shit for.
-5 bad voice actors spread across an entire open world. The same thing everybody gives Bethesda shit for.
-Hardcore mode is pointless. Every 30 minutes open your inventory and eat some food, which is found in every container in the game.
-Some companion quests are weirdly obtuse. You can travel with one specific companion for the majority of your playthrough and still not trigger their quest. Want to do another companion's quest without using a guide? Hope you're ready to talk to every NPC in the game who you've already exhausted dialogue with.
-Skills don't matter. I maxed basically everything except for unarmed/melee/explosives by the end of the game. Could pass any speech check I wanted even though I started with 1 charisma.
-Lonesome Road felt like really stupid fanfiction. "BTW you accidentally delivered nuke codes that have never been mentioned before which blew up this area which has never been mentioned before so I hate you! Also these molerats with extra health are a super extreme threat even worse than deathclaws and cazadors put together that will never be dealt with or mentioned ever again."
-Large chunks of the map just completely abandoned after a single quest. Kill 6 powder gangers in Goodsprings then never return. Kill 15 powder gangers in Primm and then never return. Get Boone in Novac and then never return. But then there are 700 quests assigned to NCR soldiers.
-Combat XP is incredibly stupid and thoughtless. The legendary deathclaw and any random sheep you can kill with a single bullet will both give you 50xp.

There's fun to be had, but I don't get how anyone could consider it to be a masterpiece.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 10th, 2024, 18:51
Beat it. I've played it before of course, but this time my first "complete" playthrough. Random notes:

-Combat ranges from not very good to straight up bad. Playing on Very Hard most enemies were bullet sponges by the end, and so was I. Dumping 2 magazines of an automatic shotgun into an enemy while a companion tanked was typical. Even a fully repaired Medicine Stick felt weak. With 100 guns and stealth I would just try to chain stealthcrit enemies with a silenced sniper rifle since they don't really react to being shot, and other enemies in the area don't really care when they find a body. All roads lead to stealth archering. Rarely I would come across enemies that were satisfying to shoot because they would go down in 1-3 bullets, but this really just meant that their level scaling capped out much earlier in the game and they would do negligible damage if they were to hit me.
-You're forced to use the Oblivion compass because NPCs don't give specific directions. The same thing everybody gives Bethesda shit for.
-The game is designed around fast travel. The same thing everybody gives Bethesda shit for.
-5 bad voice actors spread across an entire open world. The same thing everybody gives Bethesda shit for.
-Hardcore mode is pointless. Every 30 minutes open your inventory and eat some food, which is found in every container in the game.
-Some companion quests are weirdly obtuse. You can travel with one specific companion for the majority of your playthrough and still not trigger their quest. Want to do another companion's quest without using a guide? Hope you're ready to talk to every NPC in the game who you've already exhausted dialogue with.
-Skills don't matter. I maxed basically everything except for unarmed/melee/explosives by the end of the game. Could pass any speech check I wanted even though I started with 1 charisma.
-Lonesome Road felt like really stupid fanfiction. "BTW you accidentally delivered nuke codes that have never been mentioned before which blew up this area which has never been mentioned before so I hate you! Also these molerats with extra health are a super extreme threat even worse than deathclaws and cazadors put together that will never be dealt with or mentioned ever again."
-Large chunks of the map just completely abandoned after a single quest. Kill 6 powder gangers in Goodsprings then never return. Kill 15 powder gangers in Primm and then never return. Get Boone in Novac and then never return. But then there are 700 quests assigned to NCR soldiers.
-Combat XP is incredibly stupid and thoughtless. The legendary deathclaw and any random sheep you can kill with a single bullet will both give you 50xp.

There's fun to be had, but I don't get how anyone could consider it to be a masterpiece.
This mostly just feels like nitpicking. The game was built upon fallout 3 so yeah stuff like fallout 3's compass and other bethisms are sadly going to remain. The voice acting complaint is a bit unfair considering the game is host to some of the best voice acting in gaming. I can list off 20 names alone of VAs in the game who did a great job, so mostly unnamed npcs having some VA overlap isn't the end of the world. Skills matter more than any other fps bar maybe morrowind, and they are definitely more interactive a lot of the time in this game. I think you were only maxed out because you probably did all the dlc (which raises level cap) and everything else, but even then I've seldom maxxed things out in my own playthroughs bar a couple of skills by the very end so idk.

Hardcore is fine, it just nerfs healing and adds immersion, not sure what more you want beyond what retarded survival games do where you essentially have to eat every 10 minutes. Fallout 1 was not like that at all. I agree with the lonesome road bit. Honestly, the map is fine besides searchlight. Primm has multiple quests in the area so I'm guessing you just skipped them yourself. And the game is about New Vegas, an oasis in the desert, it would be weird if you had massive settlements in the mojave beyond this (which is still full of stuff). In terms of atmosphere and player choice, along with generally being a fun game to play around with by 2010s standards, I don't think many fps rpgs have been able to come close to new vegas, especially in relation to the original fallout.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 10th, 2024, 22:55

This mostly just feels like nitpicking. The game was built upon fallout 3 so yeah stuff like fallout 3's compass and other bethisms are sadly going to remain. The voice acting complaint is a bit unfair considering the game is host to some of the best voice acting in gaming. I can list off 20 names alone of VAs in the game who did a great job, so mostly unnamed npcs having some VA overlap isn't the end of the world. Skills matter more than any other fps bar maybe morrowind, and they are definitely more interactive a lot of the time in this game. I think you were only maxed out because you probably did all the dlc (which raises level cap) and everything else, but even then I've seldom maxxed things out in my own playthroughs bar a couple of skills by the very end so idk.

Hardcore is fine, it just nerfs healing and adds immersion, not sure what more you want beyond what retarded survival games do where you essentially have to eat every 10 minutes. Fallout 1 was not like that at all. I agree with the lonesome road bit. Honestly, the map is fine besides searchlight. Primm has multiple quests in the area so I'm guessing you just skipped them yourself. And the game is about New Vegas, an oasis in the desert, it would be weird if you had massive settlements in the mojave beyond this (which is still full of stuff). In terms of atmosphere and player choice, along with generally being a fun game to play around with by 2010s standards, I don't think many fps rpgs have been able to come close to new vegas, especially in relation to the original fallout.
I don't really care why the game has shitty features. It has them and they're bad. Can't agree that skills matter when I need to magdump naked tribals with the best fully repaired shotgun in the game at guns 100. Grenades and mines I used barely tickled enemies at 100 explosives as well.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 10th, 2024, 23:39

I don't really care why the game has shitty features. It has them and they're bad. Can't agree that skills matter when I need to magdump naked tribals with the best fully repaired shotgun in the game at guns 100. Grenades and mines I used barely tickled enemies at 100 explosives as well.
I just realized all of this is because you are playing on very hard. Very hard changes nothing except make you do 50% damage to all enemies, so yeah no wonder you have to magdump, you are literally nerfing yourself. Just play normal where damage is equal and add hardcore like a normal person. Aside from that, you are just nitpicking the most mundane stuff, and a lot of it is just wrong (example: a standard deathclaw is worth over double the xp of soldier npcs, which is pretty reasonable as a lone deathclaw doesn't have the range and can be easily killed once you know how to deal with them). New Vegas is rough around the edges, and honestly had to have a lot of stuff cut due to time constraints. Even despite that, it still is at the very least a good game and much better than the beth equivalents you are likening it to.
Axel_am

Post by Axel_am »

What up, peeps?

New guy here. I've never played New Vegas before. Well, that's a lie.
I actually played it a few years ago for 10hrs~, myb less, and then the game crashed a few times too many and I gave up on it. But I remember actually having fun after getting used to how the rusty guns work. I think I might actually like this more than I suspect.

Are there some stability mods for NV that HQ can recommend? I'm planning on playing this later this year and would like to make the experience as crash free as possible.
I don't really mind the game looking old or whatever, but if there are any cosmetic mods that are easy to use with the Steam version I might give them a try.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Axel_am wrote: January 16th, 2024, 15:56
:Inspector:
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

What up, peeps?

I actually played it a few years ago for 10hrs~, myb less, and then the game crashed a few times too many and I gave up on it. But I remember actually having fun after getting used to how the rusty guns work. I think I might actually like this more than I suspect.

Are there some stability mods for NV that HQ can recommend? I'm planning on playing this later this year and would like to make the experience as crash free as possible.
I don't really mind the game looking old or whatever, but if there are any cosmetic mods that are easy to use with the Steam version I might give them a try.
These are pretty much the bare essentials that should keep the game running pretty perfectly. Keep in mind you'll need New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE) as well.
New Vegas Anti Crash
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635
New Vegas Heap Replacer
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69779
Combat Lag Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71973
ActorCause Save Bloat Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/80666
FNV 4GB Patcher
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62552
New Vegas Tick Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66537
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

dlc enemies have gigantic stat boosts
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Emphyrio wrote: January 16th, 2024, 16:05

dlc enemies have gigantic stat boosts
It's annoying that they ultimately fell into this trap especially when they played around with unique mechanics (Ghost People needing to be dismembered for example) over bullet sponges occasionally. At least it's not as bad as the swamp folk in Point Lookout having magic shotguns and skin made of power armor.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

everyone who is not a fag should add 10-20x dmg mutiplayer mod to any beth game (and many other games). no spongey bs and if u fuck up u reload.
also vergil is a huge fag.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

What up, peeps?

crashes build character and train u to make control save files.
Axel_am

Post by Axel_am »

Red7 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 17:07
crashes build character and train u to make control save files.
:smug:
Last edited by Axel_am on January 16th, 2024, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

The only thing I disliked about the game was some of the DLCs, one of them felt as if it was made by Bethesda, Old World Blues.
AmericanMonarchist

Post by AmericanMonarchist »

What up, peeps?

I recommend the Viva New Vegas modlist. You can expand on it from there, but keep your added mods light and newer. Many older modifications were made using bad (See: Unsafe for your save) modding practices.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Capybara wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 14:43
The only thing I disliked about the game was some of the DLCs, one of them felt as if it was made by Bethesda, Old World Blues.
Not a bad assessment since exploration was my favorite part of that DLC and the actual story can be basically fast forwarded through.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Fallout New Vegas is just the videogame adaptation of Kevin Costner’s “The Postman”.
Mairon

Post by Mairon »

Vergil wrote: December 10th, 2023, 05:17
Does it deserve to be placed among Fallout 1 and 2 as a legitimate Fallout game or is it closer to Fallout 3 and still considered a pale imitation of the what the franchise was?
So much of the non-gameplay aspects of New Vegas feel more thought out than most of Fallout 2. I understand a distaste for the gameplay being nearly identical to Fallout 3. I believe it's a great successor.
Capybara wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 14:43
I really disliked that DLC as well but after revisiting it, I kind of appreciate it more than I did before. I still hate the bullet sponges present but when you think about some of the reoccurring themes in the game and DLCs, it's a good addition to it all and not just "because it explains where some of the other DLC shit came from." Which is a point I've seen before that I don't believe justifies anything, at least for myself. But rather the loss of identity and how that ties into other bits from the game. The humor is still a bit too "wacky and zany woah!" for me.
Vergil wrote: December 18th, 2023, 20:45
I actually disagree pretty heavily with this. I would say New Vegas is cut from the same cloth as Fallout 2. Certainly a lot more than it is Fallout 1. New Vegas has a far lighter tone than Fallout 1. It might have it's darker moments with the Legion but nothing more so than stuff found in Fallout 2. It's got a much lighter atmosphere and tone. Most of things you reference as examples of Fallout 2 butchering the atmosphere are present in New Vegas. New Vegas itself is home to three flavors of gangster larpers, an Elvis impersonator gang, the Legion are a bunch of Rome larpers wearing football pads, and there's a mission where you procure a fisting sex robot for someone.
Both also take place in a post post apocalypse setting wheras Fallout 1 leans a lot more on a desolate wasteland. A lot of the carry overs who worked on New Vegas worked on Fallout 2, not Fallout 1 and I think that really shows in both tone, the kind of factions that show up and even the references and reoccurring characters like Doc Henry and Marcus being Fallout 2 characters.
The Kings definitely give a Fallout 2 feeling but the Legion ride a finer line than the Kings. Probably because they get down to actually doing things and making results happen with their imitation. They believe that assimilating tribes like Rome did (while following an emperor), will help them gain power and secure land. And it does. Why do the Kings act like a rockabilly music legend though? Because they found that shit in the building and thought yeah this is groovy. Edward Swallow watched videos on Roman history and thought that it could work in the current world. That's not that wild. The Kings watched people impersonate Elvis and thought, "Yeah we should do that because, why not?"
Not sure what the other flavor of gangster you were referring to was. I'm assuming the Omertas though which you're not wrong about either really.

As much as I might believe New Vegas is a better successor in most terms, you're not wrong that it does have more cut from the same cloth as Fallout 2 than the original.
rusty_shackleford wrote: December 20th, 2023, 04:37
Lonesome Road is the only awful DLC. Forcing the courier to have a very specific background just ruins a large part of the game for me, tbh. Up until that point if you were asked about something that happened prior to the game, you were able to deny it.
I think the intent was to make it seem like it could have been your character or not because of some of the dialogue choices that you could choose from. But your sentiment is a very common one, so the attempt to express that definitely failed. And it would also change how a player perceives Ulysses had it succeeded. Or maybe that dialogue choice just meant for you to say it and him insist that he is right, though how reliable can we say he really is?

Never bothered me much since the game already decided that I was accepting the job to deliver the package with chip House wants. I already have a bit of backstory I cannot control and what Lonesome Road adds doesn't seem like much more. You delivered, unknowingly, a detonator to what becomes the Divide. Then you leave and go try to deliver a Platinum Chip and get shot in the head.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

What bothered me was Ulysses was a nigger. Then, the way he talked drove me to mass murder.