We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 56

Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:45
Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:42
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:36

Any other perfectly good ending goes the same way lol

Enslaving your enemies and peacefully lording the neutral parts? Such an evil dictator!!

enslaving mostly-white civilized people with a horde of rapey tribals - so based!
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:45
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:42
Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:38

Without him, Vegas would just be an irradiated shithole surrounded by cannibals and raiders. Without him, none of the communities around Vegas would have access to basic infrastructure or jobs, let alone their independence. They would either be enslaved by the Legion and then scattered in its ensuing collapse, or taxed endlessly by the NCR and forced into its crony system. Also keep in mind that the families of the strip are actually quite large and all of them have access to better amenities than most people today. And yet none of that is enough I guess.
He's doing that because he's jockeying for power against both other parties, not out of the kindness of his heart. And the suburbs of new vegas are miserable shitholes already and he doesn't give a damn, he only cares about providing security for the richest parts
Freeside is a shithole yeah, but westside and north vegas are nice places to live by wasteland standards
Because that's where House lives, no shit he cares about providing security for himself and his base of operations
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:46
most of new vegas is a better place to live than most of current africa.
I'd rather live in Necropolis than current ( most parts of subsaharan) Africa
Last edited by Anon on April 20th, 2024, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:46
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:42

He's doing that because he's jockeying for power against both other parties, not out of the kindness of his heart. And the suburbs of new vegas are miserable shitholes already and he doesn't give a damn, he only cares about providing security for the richest parts
Freeside is a shithole yeah, but westside and north vegas are nice places to live by wasteland standards
Because that's where House lives, no shit he cares about providing security for himself and his base of operations
House doesn't live in westside or north vegas, he's based out of the strip
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Yet NCR, with all their resources, can't even protect trade routes. Cass comments on this multiple times and even says at least the Legion can protect their trade routes.
House barely has the resources to protect what he has, and yet protect it he does.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:48
Yet NCR, with all their resources, can't even protect trade routes. Cass comments on this multiple times and even says at least the Legion can protect their trade routes.
House barely has the resources to protect what he has, and yet protect it he does.
he started in 2274 btw, so he accomplished all that in 7 years
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:47

It's been very long since my last playthrough and I don't remember these details well, so I can't discuss about this further
NCR territory is orders of magnitude bigger than House's lol, it's like saying you can provide security for your house with your gun and then say you're better than the american government, when they have to secure all the territory of America
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:51
NCR territory is orders of magnitude bigger than House's lol, it's like saying you can provide security for your house with your gun and then say you're better than the american government, when they have to secure all the territory of America
Maybe the NCR should stop trying to expand then?
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:52
Maybe the NCR should stop trying to expand then?
Yeah I'm not trying to say they are the good guys or even competent
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

It's been very long since my last playthrough and I don't remember these details well, so I can't discuss about this further
One of the key backdrops is that the NCR overextends itself at the cost of its citizens for the sake of its oligarchs. Maybe don't annex a ton of land and force everyone there at gunpoint to assimilate if you cant even protect it? Yet I guess house should do the same?
Last edited by Nammu Archag on April 20th, 2024, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I never played Tactics, so I don't know the story of how the Great Divide came to be, or what happens there, but there is so much rural territory in the midwest, and the mountain states, that I can see old hollers and towns becoming pretty big city-states, by bronze age standards, in two or three generations. Or just keeping to themselves, mostly. You'd be surprised how resourceful and independant country boys are, if you're a gamedev who looks down everybody else. I don't see them taking shit from anybody. There's a lot that could be done with Fallout, if it wasn't anchored to wacky, zanny vaults.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:53

One of the key backdrops is that the NCR overextends itself at the cost of its citizens for the sake of its oligarchs. Maybe don't annex a ton of land and force everyone there at gunpoint to assimilate if you cant even protect it? Yet I guess house should do the same?
I'm not trying to sell NCR as good guys or anything, just saying that they're all ultimately shit
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

A big problem I have with how people approach fnv (and RPGs in general) is that they approach it like some godlike entity that just happens to be walking the earth of the setting instead of a person in that role. If you actually live in the Mojave wasteland, you face its hardships and the threat of death, disease, etc, you are the courier, what would you actually do? When you witness the marvel that is New Vegas, when House gives you his plan on rebuilding humanity and offers you the opportunity to play a role far larger than yourself beside him, would you actually deny it? If so, in favor of what?
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

maidenhaver wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:58
I never played Tactics, so I don't know the story of how the Great Divide came to be, or what happens there, but there is so much rural territory in the midwest, and the mountain states, that I can see old hollers and towns becoming pretty big city-states, by bronze age standards, in two or three generations. Or just keeping to themselves, mostly. You'd be surprised how resourceful and independant country boys are, if you're a gamedev who looks down everybody else. I don't see them taking shit from anybody. There's a lot that could be done with Fallout, if it wasn't anchored to wacky, zanny vaults.
The cool thing about the good fallouts to me is it felt more like you were living in a 2nd antiquity than a soypocalypse
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:00
I'm not trying to sell NCR as good guys or anything, just saying that they're all ultimately shit

Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:02
A big problem I have with how people approach fnv (and RPGs in general) is that they approach it like some godlike entity that just happens to be walking the earth of the setting instead of a person in that role. If you actually live in the Mojave wasteland, you face its hardships and the threat of death, disease, etc, you are the courier, what would you actually do? When you witness the marvel that is New Vegas, when House gives you his plan on rebuilding humanity and offers you the opportunity to play a role far larger than yourself beside him, would you actually deny it? If so, in favor of what?
In favor of myself, why not just destroy them all and become the dictator myself
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:03
The cool thing about the good fallouts to me is it felt more like you were living in a 2nd antiquity than a soypocalypse
Avellone(iirc?) coined the term "post-post-apocalypse" to describe this.
Element

Post by Element »

All of that doesn't matter now that the show says it was House who participated in kicking off the nuclear war :heart:
Anon

Post by Anon »

Fallout all around is a superb franchise, sad to see it's destroyed to become yet another soulless brand
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:09
In favor of myself, why not just destroy them all and become the dictator myself
Because that's retarded and would most definitely end in something even worse than all the other options, with you probably getting couped and it falling apart even faster than the Legion.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:13
Because that's retarded and would most definitely end in something even worse than all the other options, with you probably getting couped and it falling apart even faster than the Legion.
You become one of the strongest things in the world by the endgame and if you got 9-10 int and high charisma you're more than fit to become the best dictator in history
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:14

You become one of the strongest things in the world by the endgame and if you got 9-10 int and high charisma you're more than fit to become the best dictator in history
Sorta ties into my point where you aren't really playing a role but instead are just controlling a video game character
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:11
Fallout all around is a superb franchise, sad to see it's destroyed to become yet another soulless brand
I need to play Wasteland 2. And ATOM.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:17
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:11

I need to play Wasteland 2. And ATOM.
Wasteland 2 doesn't feel the same, it's closer to a tacticool game with RPG elements. The 'you' feels too abstract.
ATOM is excellent tho, highly recommended.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 20th, 2024, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:16
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:14

Sorta ties into my point where you aren't really playing a role but instead are just controlling a video game character
IRL it would be the same
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I think being a semi-immortal living god with multiple if not all maxxed out stats and an infinite legion of securitrons defending a location neither regional power was capable of fully occupying already gives you a pretty good chance.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Its the second best path.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:21
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:59

Yes that's his discourse, but the ending shows (in my first playthrough I chose to side with him because I believed what he said) that it was mostly a ruse and he cares mostly about being richer

really now?
Llets ignore the fact that slide with Brotherhood of Steel is completely absent, because we go Mr.House ending they mostly dead and Veronica somehow:
The peace with NCR served to ease Veronica's worries about the Brotherhood's immediate future. Still, a distance had arisen between her and her fellow members that would never be bridged. She began secluding herself in crumbling libraries of the Old World, learning of promising technologies she knew the Brotherhood would never adopt.
This is a broken ending but you choose it because it suits your narrative.

Also, very fucking good, positive, best ending ever:
Mr. House's Securitron army took control of Hoover Dam and the Strip, pushing both the Legion and the exhausted NCR out of New Vegas. Mr. House continued to run New Vegas his way, a despotic vision of pre-War glory. The streets were orderly, efficient, cold. New Vegas continued to be the sole place in the wasteland where fortunes were won and lost in the blink of an eye.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

House is the best option, if you disagree you are a troon.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: April 20th, 2024, 18:42
But he's evil and helped cause the war?
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Vergil wrote: April 20th, 2024, 18:49
Tweed wrote: April 20th, 2024, 18:42
But he's evil and helped cause the war?
his treatment in goyslop is the best vindication possible