We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Starfield - Todd Howard's latest masterpiece

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Starfield Corp give you and your archaeology team a lift to the dig site. What happens after depends on your build, skill, the planet biome, and what the rng picks is different for your playthrough. The story would just be working for Starfield Corp, the big planetary fleet leaser in your corner of space, or the pirates, freebooters, or outside corp/government. The main game is a war between these groups over your sector of habitable space, and the alien tech is key to victory. It would basically be Daggerfall in space, but with faction wars and castle building. Empty planets and terraformed ones, that can be modded or built up in game. That's all Starfield had to be, and it could have been made by one hobbyist or small team in his attic. BGS are a joke.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

On January 16, hours before Starfield’s massive update was scheduled to go live in beta form on Steam, developer Bethesda Game Studios announced its delay. The team said it still plans to drop the patch sometime this week, but until it can iron out a newly discovered (and unnamed) issue, we’ll have to wait for those “over 100” tweaks coming to the spacefaring RPG.
Starsisters I don't feel so good...
Rand

Post by Rand »

Oh, wow, what impressive and needed "improvements". I'm so happy.
Todd has done it again, making a game more of a game that is definitely some kind of game.

Starfield Update 1.9.47.0 Notes — January 18, 2024 [IN BETA]
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Rand on January 18th, 2024, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:49
The concept of Starfield's new game plus being a diegetic thing where each new universe you enter has some unique changes and you can even change the plot due to having pre-existing knowledge sounds cool in theory.
It's a shame that there's basically one (1) somewhat major change you can make and a handful of what are essentially speech checks
too bad bethesda isn't competent, having dozens of universes with major changes would have been really cool honestly
Anon

Post by Anon »

Rand wrote: January 18th, 2024, 21:37
Oh, wow, what impressive and needed "improvements". I'm so happy.
Todd has done it again, making a game more of a game that is definitely some kind of game.

Starfield Update 1.9.47.0 Notes — January 18, 2024 [IN BETA]
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
► Show Spoiler
Is this their first patch? Larian pulls a lot more than that with a single month of focused work...
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

walmart are now removing physical copies of starfiled from their storefronts.

wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

This is gonna be Atari's ET all over again. Starfield is so bad they will bury it in a landfill.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: January 20th, 2024, 11:07

[RUMOR/LEAK?]
I had sex with your mother and it was like, soooo tight.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

wndrbr wrote: January 20th, 2024, 11:09
This is gonna be Atari's ET all over again. Starfield is so bad they will bury it in a landfill.
It isn't even worth patching.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Anon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:33
Is this their first patch? Larian pulls a lot more than that with a single month of focused work...
Second "major" patch...
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

wndrbr wrote: January 20th, 2024, 11:07

About what it's actually worth.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

3 cents is what walmart uses to mean the stock is being liquidated, it doesn't mean it's going to be sold at 3 cents
no, I don't know what they do with it after that, no I don't know why they use 3 cents to signify that but it seems like something I'd do if I was pressed for time to finish something

sometimes a few walmarts have accidentally actually put said items out for 3 cents e.g.,
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/walmart-3-cent-sale/
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Rand wrote: January 20th, 2024, 21:50
Second "major" patch...
This is particularly bad when given proper context. The game isn’t just bad it’s entirely unplayable. More than half the “perks” that are used to build a character don’t work or have no functional purpose.

The stealth system is broken, not as in poorly balanced, but as in nonfunctional. Having maxed stealth perks and walking at a crawl will still result in being spotted through walls 50ft away.

There are tons of perks like planet scanning perks and fuel jump efficiency that are holdover mechanics from former scrapped builds. There isn’t even a fuel mechanic in the game anymore and there is no reason to scan a planet. They tried making scanning flora and fauna on worlds a fun gameplay loop that provides xp but it’s the same 4-5 copy pasted things across all planets and the xp amount is so pitiful that it would take dozens of hours to gain a level.

Melee and unarmed are entirely useless. All weapons have tiers that go up as the player levels. A tier 4 weapon will be well over 4x the damage of a tier 1 weapon. I think there are 5 or 6 tiers. The devs forgot to put in tiers of melee weapons and only balanced unarmed for tier 1. A hammer swing or sword slash will do less damage than a single bullet from an assault rifle by about tier 3. The whole game is a joke and will require an entire overhaul even for modders to fix. The people who play this game eat the slop up though so I don’t believe they will even have the capability to identify the problems or fix it.

Considering the game has been out for months with no fix or even acknowledgement of these issues it’s safe to say this one is dead and buried.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Wretch wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 03:03
A tier 4 weapon will be well over 4x the damage of a tier 1 weapon. I think there are 5 or 6 tiers.
Most weapons have 4 tiers, but a few of the pistols only have 3 tiers.
Wearables (armor, packs, helmets) have 5 tier mods available.

Last edited by Rand on January 22nd, 2024, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I have a feeling Bethesda Game Studios will eventually close, this game and it's reception proved to me that there is very little real talent left in the company, and I struggle to think of a way they can possibly salvage their reputation and create a competent game afterwards. Elder Scrolls VI will continue to use the same engine and will build off of what was used in Starfield, which means more bloat and more of the same gameplay. Supposedly Todd went on record to say that Elder Scrolls VI will strive to be the ultimate fantasy world simulator, but on technology that dates back to the late 90s, can it even be remotely possible?. You would need to be at Rockstar's level to even attempt such a feat, and to do so on a Frankenstein engine that can barely run a rudimentary room/cell?. Forget about it.

Microsoft would do better to dissolve the company and just keep the IP. Give it to modern Obsidian which we can at least say makes more competent games than Bethesda, despite being equally taken over. You can even shift Todd Howard there as well.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Wretch wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 03:03
Rand wrote: January 20th, 2024, 21:50
Second "major" patch...
This is particularly bad when given proper context. The game isn’t just bad it’s entirely unplayable. More than half the “perks” that are used to build a character don’t work or have no functional purpose.

The stealth system is broken, not as in poorly balanced, but as in nonfunctional. Having maxed stealth perks and walking at a crawl will still result in being spotted through walls 50ft away.

There are tons of perks like planet scanning perks and fuel jump efficiency that are holdover mechanics from former scrapped builds. There isn’t even a fuel mechanic in the game anymore and there is no reason to scan a planet. They tried making scanning flora and fauna on worlds a fun gameplay loop that provides xp but it’s the same 4-5 copy pasted things across all planets and the xp amount is so pitiful that it would take dozens of hours to gain a level.

Melee and unarmed are entirely useless. All weapons have tiers that go up as the player levels. A tier 4 weapon will be well over 4x the damage of a tier 1 weapon. I think there are 5 or 6 tiers. The devs forgot to put in tiers of melee weapons and only balanced unarmed for tier 1. A hammer swing or sword slash will do less damage than a single bullet from an assault rifle by about tier 3. The whole game is a joke and will require an entire overhaul even for modders to fix. The people who play this game eat the slop up though so I don’t believe they will even have the capability to identify the problems or fix it.

Considering the game has been out for months with no fix or even acknowledgement of these issues it’s safe to say this one is dead and buried.
"The more you put into Starfield, the more it gives back"
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 06:59
I have a feeling Bethesda Game Studios will eventually close, this game and it's reception proved to me that there is very little real talent left in the company, and I struggle to think of a way they can possibly salvage their reputation and create a competent game afterwards. Elder Scrolls VI will continue to use the same engine and will build off of what was used in Starfield, which means more bloat and more of the same gameplay. Supposedly Todd went on record to say that Elder Scrolls VI will strive to be the ultimate fantasy world simulator, but on technology that dates back to the late 90s, can it even be remotely possible?. You would need to be at Rockstar's level to even attempt such a feat, and to do so on a Frankenstein engine that can barely run a rudimentary room/cell?. Forget about it.

Microsoft would do better to dissolve the company and just keep the IP. Give it to modern Obsidian which we can at least say makes more competent games than Bethesda, despite being equally taken over. You can even shift Todd Howard there as well.
The engine is not and has never been the problem. Modders without access to the engine have made workarounds that solve all the complaints people commonly level at the engine.

The problem is that the company is your typical western corporation that is just a daycare for mentally ill men and women. There is no overarching artistic vision or really any cohesion at all in beth games anymore and they are progressively more a combination of broken and unfinished mechanics scotch taped together in an incoherent nightmare.

Their titles all come with a lack of overarching tone and bizarre design choices. They decided halfway through fallout 4 to try and turn it into a building and survival game and failed miserably. They were going for a space sim for starfield but failed miserably and tried to salvage it into one of their standard games and failed even at that.

Bethesda didn’t fail to make a functional stealth system in their game because of the engine. They have done this before in older implementations. They didn’t fail to make space combat enjoyable or travel a fun aspect of the game because of the engine. They implemented the mechanics of space combat and flying and they function fine.

They failed to balance or test all these things and the game is the equivalent of an esl wordvomit post. Every mechanic in the game is at best half-baked, though many simply do not function. There’s clearly no leadership tying things together or making all the systems fit into the overall balance and feel of the game. It’s obvious most of their focus went into the esg girlboss and new niggalanta propaganda. It’s no surprise that weak men who submit to these humiliation rituals cannot even produce a single functioning aspect of their game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's a hundred dollar bill sitting on the floor for the first developer that successfully reproduces the skyrim formula.
Even developers who merely get close get showered with money e.g., KCD

Same with the Bioware formula too, as Larian proved last year. Publishers & developers have no real knowledge of what's actually popular with gamers anymore. Frank Zappa's talk about the music business in the 1960s is perfectly on point here:

Everything in it matches up 1:1 with video games. Worth pointing out that the massive majority(>90%) of KCD's funding was from some private billionaire that they convinced after the successful kickstarter.
Our investor is strong and capable of funding the complete development of our project. But he does not follow the game industry very closely, and needs proof that publishers and marketers are wrong about our game - that you are indeed interested in a mature, medieval RPG that emphasizes freedom and authenticity. And so we stand, as a studio, at a crossroads. Either those naysayers are right, and there truly is no desire for the game we are making, or we are right. Either way, we think Kickstarter is a great way to find out.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 22nd, 2024, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.
KnightoftheWind

Wretch wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:14

The engine is not and has never been the problem. Modders without access to the engine have made workarounds that solve all the complaints people commonly level at the engine.

The problem is that the company is your typical western corporation that is just a daycare for mentally ill men and women. There is no overarching artistic vision or really any cohesion at all in beth games anymore and they are progressively more a combination of broken and unfinished mechanics scotch taped together in an incoherent nightmare.

Their titles all come with a lack of overarching tone and bizarre design choices. They decided halfway through fallout 4 to try and turn it into a building and survival game and failed miserably. They were going for a space sim for starfield but failed miserably and tried to salvage it into one of their standard games and failed even at that.

Bethesda didn’t fail to make a functional stealth system in their game because of the engine. They have done this before in older implementations. They didn’t fail to make space combat enjoyable or travel a fun aspect of the game because of the engine. They implemented the mechanics of space combat and flying and they function fine.

They failed to balance or test all these things and the game is the equivalent of an esl wordvomit post. Every mechanic in the game is at best half-baked, though many simply do not function. There’s clearly no leadership tying things together or making all the systems fit into the overall balance and feel of the game. It’s obvious most of their focus went into the esg girlboss and new niggalanta propaganda. It’s no surprise that weak men who submit to these humiliation rituals cannot even produce a single functioning aspect of their game.
The engine does play a big role, though. I recently saw a video of an ex-Fallout 76 dev working on his own indie game, and he touched on just how much easier Unreal Engine 5 is to work with compared to the Creation Engine. Because you have to keep in mind that the Creation Engine is just a mess of Frankenstein'd spaghetti code, made by dozens of different people that no longer work at Bethesda. Any tricks implemented by one programmer may not be understood or utilised by a new hire working there in 2024. I'd imagine any veterans at the company must be stressed to hell and back, because they're probably being leaned on by the diversity pajeets on the hour every hour. Management (i.e Todd) are set in their ways though, and they probably deluded themselves into thinking it's easier just to carry on, like a twisted form of the sunk cost fallacy. They don't want to start fresh, because they're afraid they might mess up, or are unable to rely on their low skilled employees and the third parties in India. Bethesda has never been a particularly good developer, it's a miracle how they've lasted this long without closing. And of course everything you mentioned is true too.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:22

The engine does play a big role, though. I recently saw a video of an ex-Fallout 76 dev working on his own indie game, and he touched on just how much easier Unreal Engine 5 is to work with compared to the Creation Engine. Because you have to keep in mind that the Creation Engine is just a mess of Frankenstein'd spaghetti code, made by dozens of different people that no longer work at Bethesda. Any tricks implemented by one programmer may not be understood or utilised by a new hire working there in 2024. I'd imagine any veterans at the company must be stressed to hell and back, because they're probably being leaned on by the diversity pajeets on the hour every hour. Management (i.e Todd) are set in their ways though, and they probably deluded themselves into thinking it's easier just to carry on, like a twisted form of the sunk cost fallacy. They don't want to start fresh, because they're afraid they might mess up, or are unable to rely on their low skilled employees and the third parties in India. Bethesda has never been a particularly good developer, it's a miracle how they've lasted this long without closing. And of course everything you mentioned is true too.
Josh Sawyer wrote:
That's one of the things Bethesda's toolset makes very easy. It's super easy to make areas, super easy to modify, super easy to track assets, and it's pretty darn powerful. Look at this way: there's no way in hell that our team could have made Fallout New Vegas without that tool. It was just impossible. And if you look at the mods, it's astounding what people can do with it. I personally think that is very cool. I hope we get to the point where we can actually develop tools like that. I wouldn't say it's a personally driving ambition, it's something that I hope we do.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:25

Josh Sawyer wrote:
That's one of the things Bethesda's toolset makes very easy. It's super easy to make areas, super easy to modify, super easy to track assets, and it's pretty darn powerful. Look at this way: there's no way in hell that our team could have made Fallout New Vegas without that tool. It was just impossible. And if you look at the mods, it's astounding what people can do with it. I personally think that is very cool. I hope we get to the point where we can actually develop tools like that. I wouldn't say it's a personally driving ambition, it's something that I hope we do.
That doesn't refute my argument. This is 2010 Obsidian, a team of talented guys, commenting on the 2010 version of Gamebryo. Which was a lot less bloated than what went into Starfield, no doubt. And he is correct with his assessment that the engine made developing New Vegas easy, because of course it did. It is an engine that can only ever make a game 'like' Fallout New Vegas. Not to mention that the game reuses a metric TON of assets and code from Fallout 3. The work was already mostly done, so certainly they would sing it's praise, and they damn well better because Bethesda is their employer. They aren't going to say the engine is a piece of crap, because they'd be out of a job.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:30
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:25

Josh Sawyer wrote:
That doesn't refute my argument. This is 2010 Obsidian, a team of talented guys, commenting on the 2010 version of Gamebryo. Which was a lot less bloated than what went into Starfield, no doubt. And he is correct with his assessment that the engine made developing New Vegas easy, because of course it did. It is an engine that can only ever make a game 'like' Fallout New Vegas. Not to mention that the game reuses a metric TON of assets and code from Fallout 3. The work was already mostly done, so certainly they would sing it's praise, and they damn well better because Bethesda is their employer. They aren't going to say the engine is a piece of crap, because they'd be out of a job.
That comment is in 2016, and he's made comments since praising it as the best engine he's ever worked with. Here's him commenting on UE5 getting features that creation engine had over a decade ago:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220717141 ... 9476429824
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Games like Starfield cost hundreds of millions of dollars to develop, if Bethesda can't hire toolset & engine programmers to get their engine to the state it needs to be in then there's simply no amount of engine switching that would have produced a better product. The talent to create a good version of the game simply did not exist at Bethesda.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:33
KnightoftheWind wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:30
That comment is in 2016, and he's made comments since praising it as the best engine he's ever worked with. Here's him commenting on UE5 getting features that creation engine had over a decade ago:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220717141 ... 9476429824
You still have to suspect a level of bias in his statements. Working on New Vegas was no doubt a very easy and well-off point in his career, because like I said the work was already done and the team had experience making a Fallout game before. The Gamebryo/Creation Engine is well optimised for the exact style of game Bethesda makes, but those types of games are outdated. They were when Skyrim released in 2011, and certainly is now. And the engine has grown far too bloated and cumbersome to ever be used well by the new hires at Bethesda today.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:39
but those types of games are outdated. They were when Skyrim released in 2011, and certainly is now.
So outdated that Skyrim became one of the best selling games of all time and re-released multiple times and on nearly every computing platform known to man?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Seeing autistic ukrainians put tentpole modern FPS features and vehicles with fully accurate collision physics into New Vegas makes me doubt the old engine argument. They could figure it out if they cared to but they've gotten away with squeezing out turds to be greedily gobbled up by their fans why would they bother?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 07:42
Seeing autistic ukrainians put tentpole modern FPS features and vehicles with fully accurate collision physics into New Vegas makes me doubt the old engine argument. They could figure it out if they cared to but they've gotten away with squeezing out turds to be greedily gobbled up by their fans why would they bother?
It's because the game development industry almost exclusively hires through family, friends, and contacts therefore nepotism has made it rotten to the core. It's why you can have two or three autists recreate old games from scratch in a couple years but dedicated teams are barely capable of remastering the same game without fucking it up despite having access to all the original source code & assets.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 22nd, 2024, 07:46, edited 2 times in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

The whole “gamebryo/creation engine outdated” take is some weird misconception that has been parroted meaninglessly for ages now. Engines like UE5 are also old engines that have been updated and tweaked along the way. Whatever the senior devs are comfortable with and prefer is the correct engine choice. If you like something another engine does then you recreate it or cannibalize the code. It’s not difficult, UE5 does this as well.

Modders talked about “engine limitations” when modding the game and people who didn’t comprehend what they were talking about(the lack of access to the engine itself) got completely confused and ran with it. It’s been some obsession around beth games to explain all their design mistakes and mismanagement for over a decade now. Meanwhile skilled modders can goof around and add mechanics like climbing and levitating or load free cities with cheap tricks and workarounds in the very games the senior devs failed to do so who had access to the full engine and time to implement it. Obviously the modders could do much better with access to the engine.

I think you’re correct beth will go under and I don’t even think they have the capability to ever release tes 6.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Another $100 bill laying on the ground is the first big budget game that releases the engine code as GPL with the game itself. Doom/Idtech source releases ensured the games remained timeless, including games merely based on the same or similar codebase.
It amazes me that no developer does this, you get free labor! There are thousands of people out there willing to fix your bugs for you as long as you make a good game!