Starfield - Todd Howard's latest masterpiece

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

wndrbr wrote: March 8th, 2023, 15:13
Release date - September 6th.
Back to school sale.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

how to cryogenically freeze yourself for 6 months

edit:
shit this isn't google
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 8th, 2023, 15:23
sleek corporate trailers
They're thematically appropriate for this game.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

They did it, the mad men did it. They have managed to design an even worse inventory UI than Skyrim or Fo4.

What the fuck is this garbage? StarUI mod cannot come soon enough.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

List inventories are the superior choice.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Always nice to sift through multiple menus in order to use the items you want. I swear the only game I've played that does inventory right is Arx Fatalis, it's endlessly customizable and you can shift items around as you please. I think it's just a matter of consoles and their controllers holding back good UI design. Not to mention just how bland this looks visually.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

List inventories are for patricians, icon-based inventories are for paste eaters who like to look at "pretty icons".
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

First mod will be UI mod as it always is. Second mod will be tits.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: March 9th, 2023, 09:50
First mod will be UI mod as it always is. Second mod will be tits.
Eh, debatable. The Bethout games didn't need any inventory mods beyond sorting tags.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

I have absolutely zero faith in Todd, he is the Bethesda decline incarnate. That being said, Todd is just the corporate head, so this might be good despite him.

But then I look at FO4 and lmao the ideas that these people think are good...
KnightoftheWind

The most interesting aspect about Starfield is it's use of procedural generation, if Todd and Co were smart they'd build off that for Elder Scrolls VI and give us a massive open-world the likes of which we have never seen before. Let us explore an entire province of Tamriel, with an accurate scale and large cities.

Starfield the Game will likely be a blip on the radar, as most AAA games are nowadays. They release, are in the news cycle for a few weeks, and are quickly forgotten. If the game allows for easy modding like it should, then it will stick around and have it's fans for a while. But from what I've seen, the game has less appeal than Fallout 4.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 9th, 2023, 16:37
give us a massive open-world the likes of which we have never seen before.
We have seen it before. It's called Daggerfall and is 80k square miles.
KnightoftheWind

MadPreacher wrote: March 9th, 2023, 17:09
give us a massive open-world the likes of which we have never seen before.
We have seen it before. It's called Daggerfall and is 80k square miles.
But that was in the mid 90s, procedural generation has come a long way since then.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 9th, 2023, 17:22
But that was in the mid 90s, procedural generation has come a long way since then.
Yes, it has, but I wasn't replying about that part of your comment. The parts that were procedurally generated was rather well done for the time. Daggerfall Unity does have a modder that was working on 3d models for everything to use in the unity engine.
Trithne

Post by Trithne »

USAians, please. I am begging you. Just for this one thing, stop it. Just align with everyone else. No-one really cares about the Metric/Imperial crap, but this messes with everyone. Please.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Trithne wrote: March 10th, 2023, 00:16

USAians, please. I am begging you. Just for this one thing, stop it. Just align with everyone else. No-one really cares about the Metric/Imperial crap, but this messes with everyone. Please.
No u
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Trithne wrote: March 10th, 2023, 00:16
Never.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The most interesting aspect about Starfield is it's use of procedural generation, if Todd and Co were smart they'd build off that for Elder Scrolls VI and give us a massive open-world the likes of which we have never seen before. Let us explore an entire province of Tamriel, with an accurate scale and large cities.
i wouldn't be so optimistic about that. From what we've seen so far, Starfield's procgen was only used to create barren terrain for uninhabited planets. Doesn't look like the game has proc-generated cities, proc-generated NPCs or proc-generated dungeons. And the sidequests will likely end up being less of a "there's a bear robbing our bank!" and more of a "go to planet X, kill Y, and bring me mcguffin Z".
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Mass Effect 1 is out now and is a better game than whatever this will turn out to be, just replay that instead.
KnightoftheWind

Gastrick wrote: March 10th, 2023, 17:29
Mass Effect 1 is out now and is a better game than whatever this will turn out to be, just replay that instead.
To be fair Mass Effect was just as pozzed as Starfield looks to be. Humanity in the Mass Effect world is fully globalized, and ethnically European people have long been extinct. Replaced by homogenized brown/beige people, that use technology to 'look' more European. Meanwhile every alien race is completely homogeneous.

There are also the Krogans, who's males are subservient to females and are frequently emasculated by them.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

The issue with modern Bethesda titles isn't the game engine, the mechanics, the UI, the bugs, the individual parts that make up the game — the issue is the writing and that has been the issue for almost two decades. The writing is bad.

That's what made FO:NV outshine Bethesda's effort. Obsidian just wrote a better game.
KnightoftheWind

Maybe Chris Avellone should write ES VI, that'd be the day. Or better yet, a new developer can come along and attempt to compete with Bethesda head on. Chris and Jeremy Soule having been sacrificed on the altar of globohomo, I'm sure they'd oblige. The dissident right should be building a counter culture.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Atlantico wrote: March 10th, 2023, 21:04
the issue is the writing and that has been the issue for almost two decades
To be fair, and if the rumors are to be believed, Bethesda put the guy behind Far Harbor in charge of the writing for Starfield, while good ol' Emil has been promoted out of the way. So at the very least Bethesda is aware of the issue - or perhaps the reception of FO4's main quest was so bad that it forced Bethesda to take notice.
Lutte
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lutte »

wndrbr wrote: February 8th, 2023, 06:17
Starfield looks like Bethesda's first serious attempt at putting some effort since Morrowind.
That would be Oblivion, not morrowind.

Morrowind had the coolest setting of TES but as a game it's the second lowest effort shit Bethesda ever made, right after Skyrim.
Daggerfall gave you mounts, Morrowind removed them. Daggerfall's world had schedules, Morrowind had no NPC schedules and they always stayed in the same spot forever. Daggerfall had a convenient travel system, Morrowind had the most retarded shit in existence whose main purpose is not to add to the gameplay but to hide how small the game world really is. Morrowind had the smallest dungeons of all TES.

Oblivion was a failure in many ways, the worst offender being the excessive level scaling, But if we're talking about effort, Bethesda really tried. Radiant AI didn't pan out as Beth hoped but even what ended up making it to the final build of the game was miles better than the completely dead world of Morrowind. While faces were the ugliest thing in existence, the engine was quite uniquely immersive in its ability to project distance, I do not recall many games gave such a high quality illusion of seeing up to the horizon before Oblivion apart from Far Cry.

People only see the streamlining (such as the removal of skill requirements to rank up in guilds or the quest compass) that causes them to hate Oblivion and don't realize how different it was from both morrowind and other mainstream RPGs. While there were a ton of fail and it ended up being a bad game, Bethesda poured a lot of effort into making it. Oblivion wasn't a streamlined morrowind: it was a streamlined Daggerfall, as it was built with the same sort of ambitions : a game with a sense of scale and simulationism, while Morrowind had no ambition whatsoever, just a game they made with the hope of pleasing the RPG crowd to save them from the bankruptcy that was coming after the market failures of their previous action games.

Yes, I really despise morrowind.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Lhynn wrote: March 11th, 2023, 13:23
Incredibly cringe and retarded.
this poster is a soulless globalist commie
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Imagine thinking american values are anti "Anti-globalism". That ship sailed like 50 years ago faggot. All your unique measures are inaccurate and unreliable, and that youd cling to them as if it made you any freer is laughable.
Far as im concerned you are as much of a golem as the brown illegal thats mugging and raping your wife.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Lhynn wrote: March 11th, 2023, 13:36
Imagine thinking american values are anti "Anti-globalism". That ship sailed like 50 years ago faggot. All your unique measures are inaccurate and unreliable, and that youd cling to them as if it made you any freer is laughable.
Far as im concerned you are as much of a golem as the brown illegal thats mugging and raping your wife.
It's even in the temperatures

F = freedoms
C = commies