We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Starfield - Todd Howard's latest masterpiece

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 21st, 2023, 04:47
The main video that was being shared around was just the person having to go through loading screens to go inside buildings, which is just whatever to me.
Are you perhaps referring to the one where there's a loading screen to go to a different part of the exact same room that's already loaded? Effectively the same as having a loading screen whenever you blink in Dishonored.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on December 21st, 2023, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

maidenhaver wrote: December 21st, 2023, 02:11
I thonk Starfield will ne saved by dlc and actually have robust modding tools for terraforming those endless locations to be big locations.
English, motherfucker. Do you speak it?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Both Skyrim and Starfield are available on Game Pass yet Skyrim has substantially more current players than Starfield...

AND Beth just broke Skyrim mod compatibility recently with a new nothingburger version update, so a lot of Skyrim mods are currently unusable but it doesn't make a difference.

Starflop is a huge failure ack ack ack
Last edited by aweigh on December 22nd, 2023, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I fucking hate those perpetual updates. Trouble Shooter are always updating, too.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I thought people were calling the main love interest an old hag because of Bethesda's shitty modeling/face scanning. Turns out she really is 41 years old. What the fuck were these retards thinking?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 25th, 2023, 02:01
I thought people were calling the main love interest an old hag because of Bethesda's shitty modeling/face scanning. Turns out she really is 41 years old. What the fuck were these retards thinking?
Modern societal wisdom is that women should focus on their meaningless mid level position jobs/finding themselves and then have kids in their 30s and 40s
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Jokes on them: mid30s 40s women are barren and their midicloreans are tardy.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 25th, 2023, 02:01
I haven't a fucking clue.
It's fractally shit.
The totality is shit, and drilling down to any scale of part of it reveals an equivalent level of shit.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Saw a video today about modders saying starfield is unmoddable, I wasn't aware the tools were out. Anyway, the argument was its unmoddable (for a bgs game, that means it can't be saved) because the further you walk from player origin, the engine dies. What these newfags don't recall is that was Tamriel Rebuilt's problem, until MGE came along. OpenMW fixed it for good, being a new engine, but MGE patched the game to not stutter and crash as much on the mainland. Starborns will need to wait for modders to make SGE, if seemless planets are going to be possible some day. Starfield should have been made in OpenMW.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

With the resources Bethesda has + the backing of Microsoft, I think they would do well to create an entirely new engine from scratch. I think they are incapable of making anything but another Skyrim-like with the kind of tools they're working with. And Unreal Engine slop just won't cut it, despite how "good" it may look to the casual observer.

They can't afford a Starfield-tier blunder with Elder Scrolls VI, that's their make or break point. If the next Elder Scrolls is received poorly, I think a lot of heads will start to roll. Including Todd's.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Bethesda has less actual resources now than they had in 1998. One young Julian Lefay or similar is probably worth half of their current programming team.
Current western tech companies are extremely hostile to things like merit or the idea that 'rockstar' employees exist. They absolutely do, and they shaped video games e.g., Carmack.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 3rd, 2024, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 23:38
With the resources Bethesda has + the backing of Microsoft, I think they would do well to create an entirely new engine from scratch. I think they are incapable of making anything but another Skyrim-like with the kind of tools they're working with. And Unreal Engine slop just won't cut it, despite how "good" it may look to the casual observer.

They can't afford a Starfield-tier blunder with Elder Scrolls VI, that's their make or break point. If the next Elder Scrolls is received poorly, I think a lot of heads will start to roll. Including Todd's.
They also need new writers bad in the vain of like Ted Peterson since he did most of the Elder Scrolls lore to begin with. Emil Pagliarulo has no creativity at all, look at Starfield for example, boring ass cliche multiverse ark with no substance. When I played up to that point where the multiverse was exposed as the core of the story I uninstalled it and I'm never going back to it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Starfield actually being Skyrim in space was fucking hilarious tho. Probably the only enjoyable thing of the game, I thought there was no way they'd actually do it and then they did lmao
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 23:58
Starfield actually being Skyrim in space was fucking hilarious tho. Probably the only enjoyable thing of the game, I thought there was no way they'd actually do it and then they did lmao
Just change dragonborn to starborn and set in space with a cliche multiverse plot probably influenced by shitty Avengers movies with the same 5 buildings that randomly generate on every planet. There goes 7 years of development for a crappy game, created by dumb DEI game designers that couldn't create fun if they tried, they should be all sentenced to death for this travesty.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Without colonialism and empires, no one can imagine what adapting to alien worlds would even look like, so you just get bethesda's signature quaker oatmeal "all gods children got money" inoffensive setting. You're told how it all happened, then given Fedora Godhood.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

maidenhaver wrote: January 4th, 2024, 00:49
Without colonialism and empires, no one can imagine what adapting to alien worlds would even look like, so you just get bethesda's signature quaker oatmeal "all gods children got money" inoffensive setting. You're told how it all happened, then given Fedora Godhood.
To tell you the truth I'm quite surprised how boring they actually made the game. It's quite honestly shocking, with a new IP they went out of their way so hard to a direction I can't even comprehend and created one of the dullest sci-fi settings I've ever seen.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Spent most of their dev time thinking of ways to insert as much pozz as possible.
The game feels way too new culturally to have been the product of nearly a decade of development. Most of the content in Starfield was made in the last 2-3 years easily.

Altho I'd be willing to believe the raider faction is largely a holdover from a previous iteration.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 4th, 2024, 01:09, edited 3 times in total.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 4th, 2024, 01:07
Spent most of their dev time thinking of ways to insert as much pozz as possible.
The game feels way too new culturally to have been the product of nearly a decade of development. Most of the content in Starfield was made in the last 2-3 years easily.

Altho I'd be willing to believe the raider faction is largely a holdover from a previous iteration.
So basically a Cyberpunk 2077 situation, stuck in development hell for several iterations then finally sticking to one and coming out not as expected with 50/50 positive to negative reaction. Except Cyperpunk 2077 seemed to win over a big portion of naive gamers that bought it when it launched. Can't wait till their screwed again when they release the Witcher 1 remastered and they cope hard.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: January 4th, 2024, 01:05
maidenhaver wrote: January 4th, 2024, 00:49
To tell you the truth I'm quite surprised how boring they actually made the game. It's quite honestly shocking, with a new IP they went out of their way so hard to a direction I can't even comprehend and created one of the dullest sci-fi settings I've ever seen.
Have you also noticed every Bethesda game takes place AFTER all the cool stuff happened? Even in Skyrim, the elves have already won a world war. I had chalked it up to the engine limitations, but no its because bgs can tell you about all the stupid shit that happened a hundred years ago, but they can't drop the player in an interesting role in interesting times, because they are boring and have no idea how to.

Could be, if they didn't really go to work until after rona.
Rand

Post by Rand »

maidenhaver wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 23:11
Saw a video today about modders saying starfield is unmoddable, I wasn't aware the tools were out. Anyway, the argument was its unmoddable (for a bgs game, that means it can't be saved) because the further you walk from player origin, the engine dies. What these newfags don't recall is that was Tamriel Rebuilt's problem, until MGE came along. OpenMW fixed it for good, being a new engine, but MGE patched the game to not stutter and crash as much on the mainland. Starborns will need to wait for modders to make SGE, if seemless planets are going to be possible some day. Starfield should have been made in OpenMW.
There are the engine issues, but there's also the game issues.
As in fucking near EVERYTHING has to be changed to make it not dull dreck with brown girlbosses and coon scientists in a stupid and pointless plot on mostly pointless worlds.
Every goddamned settlement would have to be redone to make them make sense.

One example: Mars
Supposed to be a huge colony, but the main entrance is a narrow low tunnel corridor with one small door. It's ridiculous. And the other "cities" are no better.
Perhaps the worst is Titan. It's laughably small and stupid.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

None of that story or culture shit would matter if players could plop down whole settlements anywhere on a seamless map, or in orbit, and wait for factions to attack.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

maidenhaver wrote: January 4th, 2024, 01:21
Have you also noticed every Bethesda game takes place AFTER all the cool stuff happened? Even in Skyrim, the elves have already won a world war. I had chalked it up to the engine limitations, but no its because bgs can tell you about all the stupid shit that happened a hundred years ago, but they can't drop the player in an interesting role in interesting times, because they are boring and have no idea how to.
i don't think the elf war would have been more interesting than the skyrim civil war. The game is about the player, what's interesting is what the player does in the world, and the best setting is one that has the most quest hooks to offer. The skyrim secession is also a deeper political question than the diverse tamriel rainbow coalition vs nazi elfs. Keeping the nazi elfs in the background adds some depth.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

the problem with skyrim is that the world feels sterile and has near zero reactivity
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Can you expand on this point? What do you mean?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:48
It's generally of higher quality than the rest of the game, is interesting, and isn't filled to the brim with pozz/girlbosses. The girlbosses it does have don't feel integral to the plot like the 'main' characters of the storyline.
I mean the red crimson(or whatever it was) storyline. Head and shoulders above the other factions, easily.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 4th, 2024, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:50
It's generally of higher quality than the rest of the game, is interesting, and isn't filled to the brim with pozz/girlbosses. The girlbosses it does have don't feel integral to the plot like the 'main' characters of the storyline.
I mean the red crimson(or whatever it was) storyline. Head and shoulders above the other factions, easily.
did we play the same game? Crimson fleet's girlboss is the most annoying of them all. You can't even kill her if you side with the SysDef - she magically escapes, probably to reappear in the DLC.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:58
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:50

did we play the same game? Crimson fleet's girlboss is the most annoying of them all. You can't even kill her if you side with the SysDef - she magically escapes, probably to reappear in the DLC.
she's not the leader, just an annoying side girlboss that could have been added later with the core story remaining mostly the same
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

starfield should have been avatar + alien: covenant. Not a thousand randomly generated planets, just one island continent on one planet. You need to explore and help expand the colonies. There would be some primitive tribal alien settlements (maybe they live in caves or beehives or anthills so you get big interiors to explore), advanced extinct alien ruins, hostile animals, human pirate/rival faction bases, abandoned human colonies.

And rip off some ideas from AA Attanassio's Last Legends of Earth setting too.
► Show Spoiler