We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Starfield - Todd Howard's latest masterpiece

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

What your describing kind of reminds me in a way of this classic Dos game Albion.

Emphyrio wrote: January 4th, 2024, 16:21
starfield should have been avatar + alien: covenant. Not a thousand randomly generated planets, just one island continent on one planet. You need to explore and help expand the colonies. There would be some primitive tribal alien settlements (maybe they live in caves or beehives or anthills so you get big interiors to explore), advanced extinct alien ruins, hostile animals, human pirate/rival faction bases, abandoned human colonies.

And rip off some ideas from AA Attanassio's Last Legends of Earth setting too.
► Show Spoiler
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:50
Shillitron wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:48
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 4th, 2024, 01:07
Altho I'd be willing to believe the raider faction is largely a holdover from a previous iteration.
Can you expand on this point? What do you mean?
It's generally of higher quality than the rest of the game, is interesting, and isn't filled to the brim with pozz/girlbosses. The girlbosses it does have don't feel integral to the plot like the 'main' characters of the storyline.
I mean the red crimson(or whatever it was) storyline. Head and shoulders above the other factions, easily.
The 2nd in command of the Crimson Fleet is a brown girlboss open lesbian, and she's somehow angling to become #1 over the founder, a white male. It's literally cringe and gay.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Emphyrio wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:44
maidenhaver wrote: January 4th, 2024, 01:21
Have you also noticed every Bethesda game takes place AFTER all the cool stuff happened? Even in Skyrim, the elves have already won a world war. I had chalked it up to the engine limitations, but no its because bgs can tell you about all the stupid shit that happened a hundred years ago, but they can't drop the player in an interesting role in interesting times, because they are boring and have no idea how to.
i don't think the elf war would have been more interesting than the skyrim civil war. The game is about the player, what's interesting is what the player does in the world, and the best setting is one that has the most quest hooks to offer. The skyrim secession is also a deeper political question than the diverse tamriel rainbow coalition vs nazi elfs. Keeping the nazi elfs in the background adds some depth.
I disagree but also disagree with their decision to put the game in a different country every time. The point is, they can't be interesting.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

maidenhaver wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 23:11
Saw a video today about modders saying starfield is unmoddable, I wasn't aware the tools were out. Anyway, the argument was its unmoddable (for a bgs game, that means it can't be saved) because the further you walk from player origin, the engine dies. What these newfags don't recall is that was Tamriel Rebuilt's problem, until MGE came along. OpenMW fixed it for good, being a new engine, but MGE patched the game to not stutter and crash as much on the mainland. Starborns will need to wait for modders to make SGE, if seemless planets are going to be possible some day. Starfield should have been made in OpenMW.
Well making a graphic extender for a game from 2002 that can be fit onto a flashdrive today is probably wildly stark compared to making one for a 140gb modernish one that in all likelihood is a total mess of code. Also, the tools aren't out yet.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

1;37 for those on hopium jewfield will be mod saved
modders be like "i couldnt get pass char creation this thing too shit"
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I don't give a shit about modders, nobody should, but they are correct: starfield is trash, and bgs were lazy fags who leaned on hobbyists to fix their games. That modder calling random nobodies who give feedback assholes is a little bitch. Princesses. Bethesda fucked up.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Best thing out of starfield was synthetic man's review shitting on it even watched it twice and got a new favourite based reviewer. A shame he loves those platformers tho and usually plays those.

Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Red7 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 07:38
1;37 for those on hopium jewfield will be mod saved
modders be like "i couldnt get pass char creation this thing too shit"
I have no hope for this dumpster fire but until they publish the creation engine kit + new API, we won't fully know what hooks are exposed vs what is gonna need an extender / reverse engineer. Even through offset data mining right now - they may update the engine formally with exposed API's alongside the published kit.

That's the copium take. The reality is that a lot of these systems were obviously outside the Creation Engine's wheel house and I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's all ducktaped engine hacks and the whole thing is fucked.

I just wanted to contrarian-post a little.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Vaako wrote: January 15th, 2024, 21:15
Best thing out of starfield was synthetic man's review shitting on it even watched it twice and got a new favourite based reviewer. A shame he loves those platformers tho and usually plays those.

I prefer honestcon. Shorter, Higher quality, and more funny.

Also this beat was a banger.

Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Shillitron wrote: January 15th, 2024, 21:25

I prefer honestcon. Shorter, Higher quality, and more funny.

Also this beat was a banger.

Yeah I have seen that too was also great. But synthetic also calls out the blatant identity politics in the game and gives legit criticism to the gameplay.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Youtube keeps recommending me this guy's slop. I don't think it takes an hour and a half to explain why Starfield is bad. Everything about his channel feels like it's right out of 2014-2015 gamergate era youtube.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Vergil wrote: January 15th, 2024, 22:21

Youtube keeps recommending me this guy's slop. I don't think it takes an hour and a half to explain why Starfield is bad. Everything about his channel feels like it's right out of 2014-2015 gamergate era youtube.
The headline and the intro say it all. The rest is just entertainment. But if you prefer tiktok shorts your loss. :smug:
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Vaako wrote: January 15th, 2024, 23:09

The headline and the intro say it all. The rest is just entertainment. But if you prefer tiktok shorts your loss. :smug:
If watching a balding soytuber whine into his facecam like a female beauty youtuber is your bag there's no need to get defensive baby.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Vergil wrote: January 15th, 2024, 23:12

If watching a balding soytuber whine into his facecam like a female beauty youtuber is your bag there's no need to get defensive baby.
How I missed these burns. Has been a while since I found reddit and small forums mostly died out. :mrgreen:
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Vergil wrote: January 15th, 2024, 23:12

thats a tall talk from a homo vamplet who didnt posted his soy forearm pic.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Rand wrote: January 4th, 2024, 17:28
Shillitron wrote: January 4th, 2024, 15:48

Can you expand on this point? What do you mean?
It's generally of higher quality than the rest of the game, is interesting, and isn't filled to the brim with pozz/girlbosses. The girlbosses it does have don't feel integral to the plot like the 'main' characters of the storyline.
I mean the red crimson(or whatever it was) storyline. Head and shoulders above the other factions, easily.
The 2nd in command of the Crimson Fleet is a brown girlboss open lesbian, and she's somehow angling to become #1 over the founder, a white male. It's literally cringe and gay.
open console, click on bitch and type "disable" i guess.
i think entire game must be deleted and new one would had to be build in ck but engine is shit so why bother
Rand

Post by Rand »

Red7 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 17:28
Rand wrote: January 4th, 2024, 17:28

open console, click on bitch and type "disable" i guess.
i think entire game must be deleted and new one would had to be build in ck but engine is shit so why bother
Objectively correct.
The game is shit, so I don't bother playing it any more.
Thankfully I got it for free, thanks to The Spiffing Brit. Otherwise I'd be very upset if I's spent $$$ on it.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'm just sad little Todd's lies have lost their charm.
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

maidenhaver wrote: January 17th, 2024, 00:03
Not even Todd can sell modern esg slop.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

maidenhaver wrote: January 17th, 2024, 00:03
at least we have that video to remember him and a few others aswell best part is 2:47 I think

Last edited by Vaako on January 17th, 2024, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The theory that Starfield is so empty and shitty so that there's a nice blank canvas for DLC and creation club content is so grim.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Bethesda's designers are just incompetent, my guess is that they wasted many years without producing anything, and then cobbled the final game together in two years.
Last edited by wndrbr on January 17th, 2024, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: January 17th, 2024, 08:00
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Normally I would agree with this but there's a lot of prerelease interviews where Todd mentions features that were cut or they ended up not doing and mentioning possibly adding it in an expansion or a mod being made for it.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Stupidity becomes malice if there's a pattern, and its been a pattern at bgs for 20 years.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 23:54
When I played up to that point where the multiverse was exposed as the core of the story I uninstalled it and I'm never going back to it.
That's disgusting, even for Emil
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The concept of Starfield's new game plus being a diegetic thing where each new universe you enter has some unique changes and you can even change the plot due to having pre-existing knowledge sounds cool in theory.
It's a shame that there's basically one (1) somewhat major change you can make and a handful of what are essentially speech checks
Rand

Post by Rand »

lol.
On the one hand, I agree with you. But on the other hand, let's see what "game" there is here.
Five questlines.
• Society of ESG retard explorers (main quest) that's dull as shit and ultimately has you floating in the same boring procedurally generated space temples repeatedly.
• The bad space capitalist corporation
• The fascist space cops
• The libertarian space cowboys
• The bad guy (but diverse) space pirates
All are pretty short and have nothing interesting or memorable. You make no lasting decisions in any of them, and there's no significant barrier to completing most if not all of them in one run, despite their animosity towards each other.

Other than that, there's the infinity of small very boring caves and tiny pointless encampments, along with tiny to immense random facilities that exist on every planet for the sole purpose of being overrun by one of three groups of bad guys so you can shoot n' loot.

Oh, and there's the half-braindead shipbuilder that won't let you place doors and ladders where you want and ships serve little purpose other than portable loot storage anyway.
We have decades of experience making fun space shooters and they made boring, no-tactics, turn towards the nearest enemy and shoot until it goes boom or you do dogshit.

Did I miss anything?

Anyway, I believe they fully intended to make this minimum viable product from day 1, relying on the infinite worlds of infinite crap to cover the half-assing of Emil's quests and the idiotic three "cities".
Last edited by Rand on January 17th, 2024, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Vergil wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:49
It's a shame that there's basically one (1) somewhat major change
You mean which dull, annoying retard dies?
A "choice" you make determined by which of the four you talked to the least.
And doesn't matter because they'll magically re-appear the moment you reset the universe.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Rand wrote: January 17th, 2024, 14:24
Vergil wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:49
It's a shame that there's basically one (1) somewhat major change
You mean which dull, annoying retard dies?
A "choice" you make determined by which of the four you talked to the least.
And doesn't matter because they'll magically re-appear the moment you reset the universe.
You get a speech check to avoid it on repeat playthroughs.