We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Age of Decadence

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Konjad

Age of Decadence

Post by Konjad »

In my opinion it is an unfinished and buggy CYOA mess with optional combat and gripping lore.

While the beginning of the game and the first location of the game are quite good, it quickly declines into half-empty and unfinished world of soulless tasks, albeit with intriguing setting and lore.

I appreciate the work put into this game and its engine, but AoD doesn't hold up for long.

First of all, the writing is too edgy. Sure, it's a game about cutthroats and other degenerates in a broken world, but when an NPC asks you for help and it's a third or fourth ambush in a row, you lose interest in accepting random quests anymore. Moreover, the amount of indecorum is exaggerated. Dialogues in this game remind me of Hollywood movies - with cool and edgy characters swearing and acting violently all the time because they live in edgy and dirty world. It's completely over-the-top.

Unfortunately after the first location, the game becomes a bit empty. The largest city seems to be just a few NPCs standing here and there, with a few simple quests and nothing more. Oh, and a combat-focused location plus arena. Further locations past that city are even emptier, having scarce amount of tasks for the player.

The game focuses on choices and their consequences, but too often these are completely broken even 3 years after the release of the game. For example, trying to play throughout the game as house Daratan, but also trying to play another faction house Crassus, I completed quests for both of them. When I was about to find a temple for them, I went to Daratan instead and blow entrance up. You'd think that would have some consequences, huh? Out of curiosity I went back to Crassus and not only they did not mention it - I could continue the quest... and go to the same location where entrance was still perfectly fine!

The player often does not actually have many choices. The choices available are usually pre-defined by character's statistics. Very often you only have one option in a dialogue (past the first location) and therefore it's hardly choose-your-own-adventure or role-playing, it feels half a game and half a novel - even more so when you realize the game forces you to meta-game and only level small amount of skills that you will then always have to choose in dialogue checks to continue with the game.

On a positive side, the world of Age of Decadence is quite intriguing. While it doesn't come up with anything exceptionally original, it mixes fantasy (with low magic) and science-fiction themes in a meaningful way. Lore is the best part of this game and reading lore-related texts made me regret I did not create a lore-based character, but typical charismatic type I usually make in RPGs.

Another good aspect is a decent combat system, although it suffers from the fact that the player always controls only one character. The system seems to be made with tactical games in mind, and indeed the second game of the same developers, which is called Dungeon Rats, is a tactical game where the player controls 4-men party and is significantly better than AoD as it focuses on the strong point of this studio's skills, while not boring the player with uptight dialogues and superfluous tasks. DR also has a much smaller scope than AoD and it works in its advantage.

Age of Decadence is not a bad game, but at the same I can't say it's good or worth recommending. In fact, if you can get it for about 1€ as it's now often in bundles, then by all means it might be worth a try. Even if you don't finish it, the first two or three hours should be entertaining enough. However, buying it for more than insignificant amount of money is not recommended as it is an average game with good ideas but too many shortcomings.
viata

Post by viata »

Konjad wrote: February 8th, 2023, 13:58

Unfortunately after the first location, the game becomes a bit empty.
I really enjoyed the combat in this game(I have not tried the sequel, btw) and this is the only reason I gave up whenever I think I should replay the game. Grimoire suffered from the same thing, where the first town(or the superdemo area in Grimoire's case) has the best parts of the game. It's clearly they put a heavy emphasis on the beginning to attract new users, but in the case of Grimoire the game is still amazing and in the case of AoD, it keeps getting worse, sadly. I have not played the most recent game, the spaceship one, but I hope it doesn't suffer from the same fate.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

viata wrote: February 8th, 2023, 14:23
Konjad wrote: February 8th, 2023, 13:58

Unfortunately after the first location, the game becomes a bit empty.
I really enjoyed the combat in this game(I have not tried the sequel, btw) and this is the only reason I gave up whenever I think I should replay the game. Grimoire suffered from the same thing, where the first town(or the superdemo area in Grimoire's case) has the best parts of the game. It's clearly they put a heavy emphasis on the beginning to attract new users, but in the case of Grimoire the game is still amazing and in the case of AoD, it keeps getting worse, sadly. I have not played the most recent game, the spaceship one, but I hope it doesn't suffer from the same fate.
CP has similar combat, but is overall much improved in every other important regard. The setting is absorbing, writing is decent and quests are interesting. Combat is gratifying as well. In addition I'd like to praise the off-beat environment and eccentric surroundings.

I can't really criticize the game beside perhaps two drawbacks which are the camera - gets obstructed by buildings too often, and music - which is just average. Assuming the rest of the game will be as fleshed out as currently available locations (up to Habitat), then this will be a neat game worth purchasing.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Dungeon Rats is a pretty fun combat-oriented adventure. Didn't like AoD.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 8th, 2023, 14:34
Dungeon Rats is a pretty fun combat-oriented adventure. Didn't like AoD.
I agree. I had a blast playing it. Wonderful combat system, challenging fights, and the game is 100% combat (so it's unlike Age of Decadence). On a downside, it's rather short, very linear and you can control a party only up to 4 people, so it somewhat limits possible tactics. Definitely not the best in the genre, but I had plenty of fun.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Yes, combat is tough hurr durr. One of the most overrated games on dex and i could never get into this shit. The constant quest "teleports" alone killed any desire to even try.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Fargus wrote: February 8th, 2023, 14:38
Yes, combat is tough hurr durr. One of the most overrated games on dex and i could never get into this shit. The constant quest "teleports" alone killed any desire to even try.
viata

Post by viata »

Fargus wrote: February 8th, 2023, 14:38
Having all town-related quests end as soon as you leave the town was also quite shit.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Issues aside (the mentioned teleportation and the game putting you in situations you didn't plan to), I enjoy the hell out of the combat and how every weapon skill is viable and offers a unique experience. Dungeon Rats was also good until they made it harder with each patch iteration so now it's almost nonviable in solo except with some specific builds.

If anybody wants to read my semi-autistic review on each combat skill (current game versions), ask me and I'll write my thots.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:56
If anybody wants to read my semi-autistic review on each combat skill (current game versions), ask me and I'll write my thots.
Dōzo.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Dead wrote: February 13th, 2023, 12:22
Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:56
Dōzo.
Analysis inside the spoiler:
► Show Spoiler