We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

November: Ambermoon

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yes, I only game on a phone or steam deck.
Element

Post by Element »

Don't touch the barrels in spannenberg
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

maidenhaver wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 03:24
No, I don't have a computer or keyboard with me.
Who the fuck let SDG in here
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

The House of the "Wise" men is full of fucking JEWS!

"Here is 250g, give me knowledge of this windpearl"

"Hmmm yes...that is indeed a.....windpearl..."

"No you fucking idiot, tell me what its use is!!"

"No refunds goyim"
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Atlantico wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:45
Who let this spic in a white man's board?
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

maidenhaver wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 13:48
Atlantico wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:45
Who let this spic in a white man's board?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Mt Athos are not sending their best.
Element

Post by Element »

How much grinding at the trainer should be enough to take down the necromancer?
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Element wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 18:41
How much grinding at the trainer should be enough to take down the necromancer?
I wouldn't recommend him solo, as long as you and the first companion have over 60% chance to hit you should be fine
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I made it out of grandad's basement once, forgot to save, and now I can't roll against these spiders. This game is basically Morrowind, except you don't roll stats, its tb, and you can't jump on obstacles to break the AI. So is there a point in continuing?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

maidenhaver wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 23:01
I made it out of grandad's basement once, forgot to save, and now I can't roll against these spiders. This game is basically Morrowind, except you don't roll stats, its tb, and you can't jump on obstacles to break the AI. So is there a point in continuing?
git gud
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

maidenhaver wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 23:01
I'm pretty sure you can go straight from new game start to the training center in the first town and pickup your first companion ASAP. This is probably a good idea if you are struggling. As always in RPGs "Knowledge is Power"
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I just went at least 40 rounds with a bandit who broke his dagger before he finally retreated for good. Its amazing, but I've found a game with dumber combat than morrowank. He would retreat to the edge of the battle, I'd defend, then he'd run back, and it took all of five minutes of this before he got the message. He must have wanted me to follow him, but I am a tactical genius and do not chase bad guys down alleys.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I'm glad you're all enjoying the game!
Element

Post by Element »

Weight limits are a pain especially with quite a few items either being quest related or necessities (like torches/lanterns). Good gear eviscerates any excess carrying capacity you may have enjoyed in the early game.

Make sure to stack the horseshoes in one character's inventory before handing them over. Otherwise the game crashes and the backup save keeps whatever you had on another party member on hand. Not sure if you can still get the tools if you hadn't take them all the first time.
Last edited by Element on November 3rd, 2023, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Element wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 12:53
Weight limits are a pain especially with quite a few items either being quest related or necessities (like torches/lanterns). Good gear eviscerates any excess carrying capacity you may have enjoyed in the early game.
Remember that coins and rations both have weight as well. Generally you want to take only what you need with you on a trip and keep the rest on a central chest, like at grandpa's house or ones that become freed up. You can have little "safe houses" in several places to keep things.
Element

Post by Element »

Acrux wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 14:50
Element wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 12:53
Remember that coins and rations both have weight as well. Generally you want to take only what you need with you on a trip and keep the rest on a central chest, like at grandpa's house or ones that become freed up. You can have little "safe houses" in several places to keep things.
Yeah, or even keep loot in treasure chests that you find for picking up later. Food is understandable, since it's basically a health potion for camping, but gold should have been weightless imo
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I like that gold has weight. It's one of the few games that takes that into consideration.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

The Gold Box games for example were notorious for applying weight to money, and many a party would have to leave coins in treasure behind, until they were able to convert to jewelry or higher denomination coins. But this concept goes back to original AD&D, where the gold piece was also a standard unit of measurement. That is, something weighs x amount of gold pieces.
Last edited by Dorateen on November 3rd, 2023, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

One issue I have with weight applying to coins is that coins used to (typically) be significantly thinner than modern coins. If this is taken into account then all is fine.

Also, unrelated but gold should have been silver.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on November 3rd, 2023, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

It's actually pretty good on the deck in handheld mode. The game is good! Though I'm doing what I always do and just grinding bandits... Just started yesterday. I learned to wait to open the shiny metal chest.
Element

Post by Element »

No deaths since I got Firebrand. Unfortunately broke it against the spider boss in the caves.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

got into a fight with a lizard
my robe broke
then my knife
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Me when the mage apprentice I invite on my adventure fails to cast a single spell, then turns to me and says he's "Out of SP" and needs to rest

Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Is the necromancer brooch useful for anything other than getting into the thieve's guild?
Last edited by Rigwort on November 6th, 2023, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Rigwort wrote: November 6th, 2023, 17:30
Is the necromancer brooch useful for anything other than getting into the thieve's guild?
If you get it ID it does boost magic stuff BUT the guild has such useful shit that I don't think you can go without it. The main boost is the guild shop that sells you lockpicks
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Spoiler about the brooch (and similar items)
► Show Spoiler
Additional spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Alright niggers it's time to shoot for the stars and land on the moon.