We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hooray: Shitty gamedevs being fired thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

gerey wrote: December 7th, 2023, 15:57
SoLong wrote: December 6th, 2023, 20:15
Why do employees expect companies to organize cooking and knitting classes for them?
It's not that employees expect these, it's that managment are vicious, amoral demons that enjoy making the workforce suffer, and these events are a legal way to maximize suffering.
not quite, women expect their employers to be replacements for their father & husband.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 7th, 2023, 16:48
gerey wrote: December 7th, 2023, 15:57
Why do employees expect companies to organize cooking and knitting classes for them?
It's not that employees expect these, it's that managment are vicious, amoral demons that enjoy making the workforce suffer, and these events are a legal way to maximize suffering.
not quite, women expect their employers to be replacements for their father & husband.
They also like bossing people around and being the queen bee, lording it over the rank & file.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

>delaying its weeklong company "Pentathalon" event to next December, and reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly.

I... uh... what? Why? Why is this a thing? Why do employees expect companies to organize cooking and knitting classes for them?

Yes, companies shouldn't treat their employees like soulless automatons (if they actually do their jobs at least) but what is this coddling? Since when is a company supposed to entertain its employees?
It's a pale imitation of what big tech does to make college grads feel like the company is their family so they are willing to work longer hours and give away their best ideas.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

>delaying its weeklong company "Pentathalon" event to next December, and reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly.

I... uh... what? Why? Why is this a thing? Why do employees expect companies to organize cooking and knitting classes for them?

Yes, companies shouldn't treat their employees like soulless automatons (if they actually do their jobs at least) but what is this coddling? Since when is a company supposed to entertain its employees?
Its another form of control, expanding the "company culture" into every facet of life. Good luck, if you don't participate in all those events.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

This decision means we’re eliminating about 530 roles globally, which represents around 11% of our workforce
so they used to have around 5k employees. Why? This company has like two games, LoL and Valorant.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 06:02
This decision means we’re eliminating about 530 roles globally, which represents around 11% of our workforce
so they used to have around 5k employees. Why? This company has like two games, LoL and Valorant.
Remember when xitter fired 80% of their staff and everyone scoffed saying xitter was about to stop working because you need all those employees to keep it functioning?
Yea, most software companies are massively overstaffed with useless employees.

Another good example is Unity with nearly 10k employees, but they've been shedding.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 23rd, 2024, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 06:05
Remember when xitter fired 80% of their staff and everyone scoffed saying xitter was about to stop working because you need all those employees to keep it functioning?

Another good example is Unity with nearly 10k employees, but they've been shedding.
Unity has 10,000 employees?, you'd think they wouldn't need more than 100-150. What goes through the heads of management to even consider hiring half that number, even a quarter?. Must be some sort of laundering operation we aren't aware of, because I struggle to think of what those employees could possibly be doing. There must be a dozen guys scrubbing one toilet, twenty making the Boss's coffee, thirty cleaning his desk, etc.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 07:04

Unity has 10,000 employees?, you'd think they wouldn't need more than 100-150. What goes through the heads of management to even consider hiring half that number, even a quarter?. Must be some sort of laundering operation we aren't aware of, because I struggle to think of what those employees could possibly be doing. There must be a dozen guys scrubbing one toilet, twenty making the Boss's coffee, thirty cleaning his desk, etc.
jcd

Post by jcd »

They only got away with it because they degraded services for existing users and massively decreased the quality of service, in a large part due to effectively deprecating their APIs (technically they still exist, but since they're so expensive, nobody uses them). Third party clients are no longer in use, they had to rush paid accounts, outages are way more frequent and overall the platform is less stable. They also had to cut features, such as reading replies for users without accounts, and many more, no doubt to reduce the load and maintenance costs. Turns out those SREs were doing actual work. Skilled engineers left the place because of low morale, abysmal work conditions, lack of confidence in management, and an atmosphere of high tension with no payoff and constant threat of being fired for offending the tech-illiterate retard who took over with the most mundane shit. The whole thing is somehow chugging along on life support in its dismantled state but they're left with only the most desperate and least skilled tech staff.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

jcd wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 09:55
They only got away with it because they degraded services for existing users and massively decreased the quality of service, in a large part due to effectively deprecating their APIs (technically they still exist, but since they're so expensive, nobody uses them). Third party clients are no longer in use, they had to rush paid accounts, outages are way more frequent and overall the platform is less stable. They also had to cut features, such as reading replies for users without accounts, and many more, no doubt to reduce the load and maintenance costs. Turns out those SREs were doing actual work. Skilled engineers left the place because of low morale, abysmal work conditions, lack of confidence in management, and an atmosphere of high tension with no payoff and constant threat of being fired for offending the tech-illiterate retard who took over with the most mundane shit. The whole thing is somehow chugging along on life support in its dismantled state but they're left with only the most desperate and least skilled tech staff.
going to be honest, I don't read your posts
jcd

Post by jcd »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 09:56
I accept your concession.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

jcd wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 10:32
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 09:56
I accept your concession.
no offense but I just mentally mark some posters as troll and if they respond with something longer than a line I just don't read it
jcd

Post by jcd »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 10:33
no offense but I just mentally mark some posters as troll and if they respond with something longer than a line I just don't read it
That's fine, because you're clueless about almost anything you talk about and I don't find it surprising that you feel the need to mentally escape the discussion when you get called out. He RAN
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 07:04

CEOs of large companies are paid more and aside from DEI, you need a department to give your friend a VP role.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Hopefully the troon fellates the barrel of a gun and does the genepool a favor.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wtf why did nobody tell me the braid guy is based

also the replies are full of retards crying about him saying remote work is unproductive(it is)
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

gerey wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:29
I hope to God the whole industry crashes.
I think the Braid guy is right. There's a surplus of retards working at gaming companies nowadays. If they are really hurting they're either going to trim the unproductive or fold. I could see a lot of studios making mistakes like firing actual productive workers with their mass layoffs, too.

I could save every studio a lot of money right off the bat. Fire HR depts and then all those who identify as anything other than male or female. Productivity will surely rise.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Can't fire HR anymore, but they could close their cafeterias with 9 different restaurants, too. Move back into small studios.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I'm waiting eagerly for more of those post-firing dev crying videos.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:24
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:21
seriously, I did not expect this
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow
You should watch some of his talks. I can provide links later.
jcd

Post by jcd »

The Braid guy is a drooling retard whose opinions are universally wrong! Who also made a cool game.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:21
He was utterly devastated because Soulja Boy didn't have the intelligence to understand the meaning of Braid.