We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hooray: Shitty gamedevs being fired thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Shillitron wrote: January 26th, 2024, 14:29
1998 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 12:19

Kotaku also seems quite excited about the recent layoffs.

https://kotaku.com/game-industry-layoff ... 1851155818
More like they are milking the ad-rev on this news cycle to justify their own shitty news outlet not being shuttered.

None of these people offer value in a open market and with all the DEI & ESG dollars drying up.. the in-fighting over the last few scraps has begun.
A desperate attempt to devour their peers in a hope to stay relevant. It’s too late for them though, their eggs dried up long ago and I already snuck into the cryobanks and turned the defrosters on.
Last edited by Wretch on January 26th, 2024, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Let the cutting of the fat begin! I'm predicting 30-40k+ firings this year.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:08
this is what the forum looks like with rustyvision
where's SNOW???
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Maybe he can't see snow and that's the real reason it's still on.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Not a fun time to be a BGS game dev right now
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 30th, 2024, 09:28
Not a fun time to be a BGS game dev right now
Are we sure they still exist? I'm not convinced.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Last edited by Shillitron on January 30th, 2024, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Shillitron wrote: January 30th, 2024, 20:34
Hidden Content
"Sure I might be homeless soon but at least I was fired by a black kween!!!"
Rand

Post by Rand »

If everyone involved in e-sports (cringe) was punched out on a daily basis, I would consider that a net positive for humanity.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 31st, 2024, 06:26
Shillitron wrote: January 30th, 2024, 20:34
Hidden Content
Honestly, I love it. He licked the boot and got kicked anyway. But it's a diverse boot so it's ok.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 31st, 2024, 06:26
You might of read the posts in reverse order. The bottom post is the oldest.
He wasn't praising her after being fired.. He was praising her because she ~understood him~ then got shit canned. :lol:

It's actually funnier IMO.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

https://videogames.si.com/news/disco-el ... um-layoffs
Sources: Disco Elysium dev ZA/UM to lay off around a quarter of its staff, cancels new game
ZA/UM in uproar after third project in three years gets canned

Around 24 employees are at risk of redundancy at Disco Elysium maker ZA/UM, according to GLHF sources close to the matter. This is roughly a quarter of the company’s current total workforce.

These cuts go hand in hand with the cancellation of a project codenamed X7, which we’ve been told was a standalone expansion for Disco Elysium. In a call with staff ZA/UM president Ed Tomaszewski said that X7 “was a game that was one to two years away from completion” and could’ve taken “more time and effort than Disco Elysium did.”

ZA/UM CEO Ilmar Kompus informed staff of the cuts in a message read by GLHF, writing that redundancies will mostly affect “the X7 team but also our non-development teams and non-X7 projects.”
Just like my heckin' failed communist states!
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

They had an idea for one game and stuck around afterward for the clout. "Why yes, I'm a prestigious games developer."
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 17th, 2024, 13:50
https://videogames.si.com/news/disco-el ... um-layoffs
Sources: Disco Elysium dev ZA/UM to lay off around a quarter of its staff, cancels new game
ZA/UM in uproar after third project in three years gets canned

Around 24 employees are at risk of redundancy at Disco Elysium maker ZA/UM, according to GLHF sources close to the matter. This is roughly a quarter of the company’s current total workforce.

These cuts go hand in hand with the cancellation of a project codenamed X7, which we’ve been told was a standalone expansion for Disco Elysium. In a call with staff ZA/UM president Ed Tomaszewski said that X7 “was a game that was one to two years away from completion” and could’ve taken “more time and effort than Disco Elysium did.”

ZA/UM CEO Ilmar Kompus informed staff of the cuts in a message read by GLHF, writing that redundancies will mostly affect “the X7 team but also our non-development teams and non-X7 projects.”
Just like my heckin' failed communist states!
That visual novel was absolute shit with the most millennial annoying writing. It also looked like it was made as disgusting to look at as possible. I felt sick looking at it and then having to stop to roll my eyes every few seconds
carnivoresheep

Post by carnivoresheep »

I wonder who even is surprised by this. Gamedev went absolutely inflation mode during pandemic, one of the harsher layoffs happened at riot, which in 2019 had 2000 employees and in 2023 - 5000. They laid off 500 of these, omg what a loss. I have no idea what is that manpower doing either, is getting assets out really that difficult these days or is the organisation side that sucks(everything has to go through 12 meetings etc.), because outside of that we don't really get more complexity and instead a lot of buggy shit.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ea-cutting-5-of-workforce
Electronic Arts today announced that it is laying off approximately 5% of its employees as it leans in on the parts of the business it feels will be the most successful in the years to come.

In its most recent annual report, the publisher gave its headcount as 13,400 as of the end of March 2023, which would put the job losses around 670 people.

The cuts are just one part of the company's restructuring plan, which also includes closing some offices and sunsetting certain live games, like the previously announced shut down of MLB Tap Sports and F1 Mobile Racing.

In a note to staff, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said the company is also "moving away from development of future licensed IP that we do not believe will be successful in our changing industry."

GamesIndustry.biz understands that one such title was cancelled as part of this plan, with the teams working on it redeployed to other projects.

Outside of sports or racing, EA's major external licenses in recent years have included Disney properties like Star Wars and Marvel, which the company has tapped for upcoming games based on Black Panther and Iron Man. (An EA representative confirmed both Black Panther and Iron Man remain in development.)
They should cancel Deadname and get rid of Bioware but it looks like they're fully in sunk cost fallacy mode on that one.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

carnivoresheep wrote: February 18th, 2024, 09:45
I wonder who even is surprised by this. Gamedev went absolutely inflation mode during pandemic, one of the harsher layoffs happened at riot, which in 2019 had 2000 employees and in 2023 - 5000. They laid off 500 of these, omg what a loss. I have no idea what is that manpower doing either, is getting assets out really that difficult these days or is the organisation side that sucks(everything has to go through 12 meetings etc.), because outside of that we don't really get more complexity and instead a lot of buggy shit.
They release a new champ once a year and it takes them like 2 years to update old champ models and animations too look like something not made in 2004.

If they need 5000 employee's just to do that.. uh yea.. shit can 90% of the company they probably do nothing all day.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Shillitron wrote: February 28th, 2024, 22:56
They release a new champ once a year and it takes them like 2 years to update old champ models and animations too look like something not made in 2004.

If they need 5000 employee's just to do that.. uh yea.. shit can 90% of the company they probably do nothing all day.
I assume this is what's happening at most large studios. Guaranteed.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

A lot of these companies supposedly have 1000+ employees, but how much of that is full-time, salaried workers?. Maybe those figures include contracted staff (i.e Pajeets). Otherwise if there really are 1000, 2000, 5000 salaried workers, what the hell are they doing?. Modelling 1 blade of grass a week?.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

They are pooping in the Ganges and cooking curry.
Rand

Post by Rand »

What garbage did this creature make, anyway?
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Why is it they still believe it's all White guys?
Element

Post by Element »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 29th, 2024, 00:14
A lot of these companies supposedly have 1000+ employees, but how much of that is full-time, salaried workers?. Maybe those figures include contracted staff (i.e Pajeets). Otherwise if there really are 1000, 2000, 5000 salaried workers, what the hell are they doing?. Modelling 1 blade of grass a week?.
I've always been surprised when looking at, say, artists from Blizzard as to how little of the final product is actually 'theirs' in any capacity. Maybe one character design, a couple of props etc. Feels very inefficient.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Breathe wrote: February 29th, 2024, 00:11
Shillitron wrote: February 28th, 2024, 22:56

I assume this is what's happening at most large studios. Guaranteed.
Yeah. There is a BlizzCon panel video you can look up about how they design dungeon bosses if you'd like see what design by committee looks like.

The too-large group spend an hour talking, design something unusable, the creature ends up with 15 abilities that don't really matter because it dies in 30 seconds, and all of the people wasting art resources on things that don't matter lack the skills to make changes with the editor.

There's also a girl with big opinions that all of the soyboys are too afraid to say no to.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Rand wrote: February 29th, 2024, 15:24
What garbage did this creature make, anyway?
Credited as a producer for WWE 2K23... and that's the only result in Mobygames.