We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What is the point of PF2e?!?!

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
WaterMage

What is the point of PF2e?!?!

Post by WaterMage »

I just don't get. Despite believing that D&D 2e is the best edition, I can see some good points in the 3rd edition, like the insane amount of options. And in 5e, which is the easiest to play edition.

But PF2e? Doesn't have the easy of DM and play as 5e. Doesn't have the balance autism of 4e. Doesn't have the options of 3e/pf1e. Doesn't have the immersion of 2e.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

there was nothing special about pathfinder beyond it being in the right place at the right time
inability to understand they captured a niche audience leads to pf2e
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

WaterMage wrote: October 25th, 2023, 20:17
Doesn't have the balance autism of 4e.
But it does. That's basically the whole point. It's a lot more boring than 4e but it does have very tight math. PF2e was intended to capture the abandoned 4e audience in the same way that PF was meant to capture the abandoned 3.5 audience. The one problem is that, unlike with PF and 3.5, PF2e and 4e are not mechanically compatible. This is an issue because it means the old 4e audience must pick between one or the other instead of fusing the two.
Last edited by WhiteShark on October 25th, 2023, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Well said whiteshark. Why a 4e fan would waste his time with pf2e when he can just play 4e or wow?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

WaterMage wrote: October 25th, 2023, 22:14
Well said whiteshark. Why a 4e fan would waste his time with pf2e when he can just play 4e or wow?
You know, I'll never get the WoW comparisons. I won't deny that 4e is gamey, but it'd be far more apt to compare it to an SRPG, something like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics. The only point of comparison between WoW and 4e is cooldowns, but lots of games have cooldowns and they aren't of comparable lengths and they don't exist for the same gameplay reasons.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I like Pathfinder better than D&D lore-wise.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

WaterMage wrote: October 25th, 2023, 22:14
PF2e is not discontinued, yet.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The Golarion lore is like someone cloned Ed Greenwood multiple times to make him even gayer and more Canadian. I like many of the PF rules better than 3.5, but I can't imagine trying to use it's world.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Acrux wrote: October 25th, 2023, 23:09
The Golarion lore is like someone cloned Ed Greenwood multiple times to make him even gayer and more Canadian. I like many of the PF rules better than 3.5, but I can't imagine trying to use it's world.
D&D is much the same way. Kitchen sink settings and all that.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Agree completely. Everyone should use their own custom campaign worlds.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Acrux wrote: October 25th, 2023, 23:22
Agree completely. Everyone should use their own custom campaign worlds.
I think the default 4e setting and concept is actually very good. 'Points of Light' is perfect for adventure and it's not flooded with gay nation-states like Golarion is. The cosmology is also a lot more interesting and gameable and less grid-filling than its predecessors.