We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Project Quarm

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

People lost jobs and marriages over EQ and there's also kooks like Sean Woolley who killed themselves over it.

I knew people who had multiple computers for accounts back in the day for multiboxing (back when it wasn't allowed and they tried to stop people from alt-tabbing). Guys who'd be level 3 when you logged off and level 7 when you logged back on, I've BEEN that guy. People would call in sick so they could be at more raids to earn DKP or merit in the eyes of the raid officers. Back when we had the first official progressive server and I was still a goon we formed a guild, but I started out pacing everyone else and actually got ostracized by some of the causal members even though I eventually took over as leader. The casuals quit a few months in and the guild dissolved, but we poopsockers kept right on going. I joined the top raiding guild and wound up doing non-stop raids and all that crap.

When EQ is srs bsns you give out your account info to randos so they can box you for raids to get those precious planar flags, you hand them your cell-phone number so they can call you in the middle of the night, and you leave the game running with sound macros so raid officers can spam trigger words that make a huge racket to get you out of bed. Tibetan monks don't even have this level of discipline.

EQ isn't a second job, it's a lifestyle
Last edited by Tweed on October 25th, 2023, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Tweed wrote: October 25th, 2023, 08:34
People lost jobs and marriages over EQ and there's also kooks like Sean Woolley who killed themselves over it.

I knew people who had multiple computers for accounts back in the day for multiboxing (back when it wasn't allowed and they tried to stop people from alt-tabbing). Guys who'd be level 3 when you logged off and level 7 when you logged back on, I've BEEN that guy. People would call in sick so they could be at more raids to earn DKP or merit in the eyes of the raid officers. Back when we had the first official progressive server and I was still a goon we formed a guild, but I started out pacing everyone else and actually got ostracized by some of the causal members even though I eventually took over as leader. The casuals quit a few months in and the guild dissolved, but we poopsockers kept right on going. I joined the top raiding guild and wound up doing non-stop raids and all that crap.

When EQ is srs bsns you give out your account info to randos so they can box you for raids to get those precious planar flags, you hand them your cell-phone number so they can call you in the middle of the night, and you leave the game running with sound macros so raid officers can spam trigger words that make a huge racket to get you out of bed. Tibetan monks don't even have this level of discipline.

EQ isn't a second job, it's a lifestyle
Sounds like a good time to me.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

troon got bullied and called out secrets to do something about the white supremacist neonazis playing on quarm
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Crazy how these people born with male bodies and female brains are attracted to a server filled with white men
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

See? It's happening already.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 25th, 2023, 16:30
troon got bullied and called out secrets to do something about the white supremacist neonazis playing on quarm
This is making me want to play.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Tagging @Moe to bully him for being the person who plays the least, despite being a NEET
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Maybe the real Project Quarm was learning that Gregz is a trans ally.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

tried playing and it's just fucking stupid unless you're a NEET who can be awake at 4am EST
every single area is completely camped and there's autistic tranny rules about ~playing nice~, hope you enjoy camping one spawn in some obscure area for hours on end

people who think this is better than instanced zones with population caps are insane or masochistic, and just lying to themselves. This game was never designed for this sort of population, it was managed on live using multiple servers which is the same fucking thing as instancing. The end result is identical: players spread over multiple instances of the same virtual area.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on November 3rd, 2023, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Yes
rusty_shackleford wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 01:32
This game was never designed for this sort of population, it was managed on live using multiple servers which is the same fucking thing as instancing.
I used to play on Druzzil Ro on live and I remember the population being about 3k most of the time, which is around where Project Quarm is
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

The end result is identical: players spread over multiple instances of the same virtual area.
It's true that the EQ experience is highly population dependent, no way around it. WoW Classic was a lot of fun but there's just too much metagame abuse. Everything else is generally shit in comparison to those two if you want a fantasy MMORPG.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

GhostCow wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 01:41
Yes
This game was never designed for this sort of population, it was managed on live using multiple servers which is the same fucking thing as instancing.
I used to play on Druzzil Ro on live and I remember the population being about 3k most of the time, which is around where Project Quarm is
But did all the players have YouTube tutorials and game guides telling them the best place to grind for 10 hrs straight? Or did people play naturally, explore and earn experience sub-optimally?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Boontaker wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 02:14
But did all the players have YouTube tutorials and game guides telling them the best place to grind for 10 hrs straight? Or did people play naturally, explore and earn experience sub-optimally?
There were no guides back then, but it didn't really make a difference in what Rusty is complaining about. Every zone was still being poopsocked 24/7 and you could easilly spend 4+ hours sitting in a zone doing /ooc LFG or traveling all over the world to find everything everywhere else camped too. It's just part of the game.

I actually find it hilarious that Rusty called it masochistic because I've been telling my roommate about EQ since long before P99 even existed and he's always said it sounds like a horrible game for masochists and that he will never play it.
Last edited by GhostCow on November 3rd, 2023, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

What does it take to start and maintain a server?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 01:41
Servers never went over 2k population, they got split if they did. The average server pop was somewhere near 1300 during peak hours. And yes, I can prove this.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010207225 ... ss.com:80/
Time is listed in GMT, therefore 10:52 pm GMT would be 7PM EST, prime time.
Druzzil Ro 1303
PQ currently has more players than this at noon on a Friday.

And these numbers were much, much more equally distributed in levels than PQ which is heavily skewed towards lower levels.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on November 3rd, 2023, 16:04, edited 2 times in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Yeah, I guess my memory was faulty. 1300 sounds right. Everything was still poopsocked all the time though and this was kunark era with another continent to go to. It was more of a problem in your 20s and 30s than for lowbies though.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

GhostCow wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 17:07
Yeah, I guess my memory was faulty. 1300 sounds right. Everything was still poopsocked all the time though and this was kunark era with another continent to go to. It was more of a problem in your 20s and 30s than for lowbies though.
Right now the zones are factories with the smokestacks going 24/7. That's true of both solo and group content. Everything is a pipeline. In order to play you need to be patient, manage the clock, /ooc regularly to get on a group list, have 2nd and 3rd options available at all times, etc. That's a lot of meta to keep in the back of your head. PQ is a good server but the overpopulation is a real concern.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

tried playing and it's just fucking stupid unless you're a NEET who can be awake at 4am EST
I'm feeling personally attacked right now.

I said before that the pop was way too fucking high for OG content, everything is locked down forever and ever and the truly hardcore will hold camps for hours and even days and they don't intend to release new content for 9 months in between.
GhostCow wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 17:07
1300 is far more manageable and the odds of getting into a group go up. It only gets worse as you level, even with Kunark you're stuck with Sebilis or Karnor's.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Project 1999 is rumored to start a new server soon. That will cut the population in half
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: November 4th, 2023, 23:24
I think this is a bust.
tbh not interested in putting time into a server that will eventually be shut down because it's run by a troon.
Also, don't particularly like the idea of MMORPGs that just 'end' with no future content.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Tweed wrote: November 4th, 2023, 23:24
I think this is a bust.
Quitter.

I've gained a level and a half today and it's not even 7pm yet.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Also, I just hate the focus on efficiency. I actively try to not be efficient when I'm playing MMOs because it's more fun for me.
I can't do shit because everything is camped. I can't go kill quest NPCs because every single one is camped.

People like @Gregzinsky optimize the fun out of games.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on November 4th, 2023, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I haven't had too much trouble getting groups in crushbone the last two days. Might have to /ooc lfg for an hour or so, but I just solo random stuff for belts while doing that.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: November 4th, 2023, 23:43
Also, don't particularly like the idea of MMORPGs that just 'end' with no future content.
That's going to be a problem on any emulated server, it seems that most of non p99 servers are on Omens and one is on Dragons of Norrath. I assume there might be an issue in getting the expansions implemented properly. I'm not as concerned about hitting a content wall if there's enough content to last a long time, but nine months is a long time to wait on a server where the Dilator of Domiciles is always hovering over it and every camp has an reservation list.
rusty_shackleford wrote: November 4th, 2023, 23:45
Also, I just hate the focus on efficiency. I actively try to not be efficient when I'm playing MMOs because it's more fun for me.
I can't do shit because everything is camped. I can't go kill quest NPCs because every single one is camped.
Yeah, there's literally nothing worthwhile to do unless you want to wait for hours. If I'd have kept leveling my chanter I'd be 20 something and still completely in cloth armor without even the option of slumming it for basic bitch gear.
GhostCow wrote: November 4th, 2023, 23:50
for an hour or so
I rest my case.

So, we wanna try some other emulated server? A different game? Pretend this never happened and never ever play together again?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I'm going to keep playing and hope you guys see the light. There isn't a better option until Monsters & Memories comes out unless Project 1999 opens a fresh server.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I got an old friend from my high school days to play. I may take a break until he catches up since @rusty_shackleford and @Tweed have blackpilled the fuck out of me over the last two days.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: November 7th, 2023, 01:22
I got an old friend from my high school days to play. I may take a break until he catches up since @rusty_shackleford and @Tweed have blackpilled the fuck out of me over the last two days.
wot did I do
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

rusty_shackleford wrote: November 7th, 2023, 01:39
GhostCow wrote: November 7th, 2023, 01:22
wot did I do
You reminded him that other poopsockers exist, truly the most horrifying revelation for the man who poops in socks